Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic food and taste
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 02, 2015 08:55PM

I started to buy organic food a couple of months ago. I order online and in my city there are 3 certified organic stores which sell groceries online. I notice that the fruit from one of these tastes starkly better than that from the other two. I mostly order apples, bananas, guavas and sweet lime, and all these taste more intense and sweet when I order from the first store as compared to the other two.

How do I understand this? I am wondering if this means that the fruit from the first store is truly organic, or more organic, as compared to others. Even though I have seen the certificates of all three, I don't think merely having a certificate makes things fool-proof, especially in this country (India).

At the same time, I also wonder if taste could be a function of climate or freshness. These stores get there fruit from different places in the country.

Interestingly, I don't see much difference in vegetables from the three stores so far, although I haven't really ordered from all three to much of an extant, so it might be premature to say.

What do you all think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic food and taste
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 02, 2015 09:20PM

Stores buy foods from produce distributors. Each produce distributor will have its set of preferred farmers and farms. The store that has food you like either has a better produce distributor, or perhaps the store's buyer is more on the ball, in that they are more picky about the foods they choose.

Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 03, 2015 03:17AM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stores buy foods from produce distributors. Each
> produce distributor will have its set of preferred
> farmers and farms. The store that has food you
> like either has a better produce distributor, or
> perhaps the store's buyer is more on the ball, in
> that they are more picky about the foods they
> choose.

By 'better' do you mean they are closer to an organic way of agriculture, or do you mean better in another way?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: October 03, 2015 03:37AM

Prana answered your question, I agree

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 09, 2015 08:06AM

The quality and flavor of food depends on the quality of the soil. You could have a thousand "organic" farmers all growing ONE kind of food and the difference will be
noticeable taste wise due to how mineral rich their soil is. Organic just means that there are no pesticides.. that's all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables