Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!
 

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 24, 2015 05:10PM

Everyday I use the subway to travel and I carry my lunch and water with me. As one enters the subway one is required to put one's bag through an x-ray machine. For long I have wondered if this machine is damaging my food. I think it is, intuitively speaking, but I have no way to tell.

I also have no choice except to not carry food, which means to skip lunch, because the security staff would not allow me to not pass my food and water through the x-ray machine. Also, I wonder if the raw vegetables and fruits I order have been through x-rays already at airports and on the road, so they are already damaged to some extent.

I live in New Delhi, India. From memory, I think that in other cities in the world subways do not have x-ray scanning of one's luggage but here it seems different, or perhaps the times are changing everywhere.

For my body, I avoid x-rays as far as I can. If the doctor asks for an x-ray, or an MRI, or ultrasound, I wouldn't get one done unless it is a very serious condition that I may have. I usually keep my phone off or in flight mode to minimise radiation from it.

Reading this today made my skepticism towards x-rays stronger -

[healthland.time.com]

Is your food put through x-rays?

Do you think x-rays damage food? If yes, what can one do? I usually carry lots of fruit, perhaps I could cover it with foil or something of that sort.

Would you eat chocolate or other such stuff that has been through x-rays at the airport? I imagine that most of us have been through this situation some time or the other, if not on a daily basis like myself.

Even if one avoids x-rays, there is radiation through wi-fi networks and cellphones all the time which must be affecting the body and the food one carries. There was a time when I thought there is no point switching off my phone or not carrying it because in the room I am in there are 10 other people with one phone each or more, so I am already inundated with radiation. But I still prefer a quiet, slow life so I leave the phone behind or keep it off, only to use for music.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2015 05:13PM by iandthou.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: October 24, 2015 09:00PM

I have it on pretty good authority, (from an international commercial airline pilot), that the pollution in New Delhi is so horrendous that he can smell it well before even starting to descend in altitude to land. Every time. You might better ask why are you there, iandthou, if you care about your health.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 25, 2015 05:03PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have it on pretty good authority, (from an
> international commercial airline pilot), that the
> pollution in New Delhi is so horrendous that he
> can smell it well before even starting to descend
> in altitude to land. Every time. You might better
> ask why are you there, iandthou, if you care about
> your health.


I do ask myself and have my answers. They are partly related to my finances, partly to life goals. The airline pilot is right about the horrendous pollution. I don't know about flights, but I smell it whenever I am out for more than 10 minutes.

It is perhaps a bit brazen of you to assume that I have never asked myself this question, and that it is for you to direct me to do this. I don't mean to pick a fight with you, but do want to ask you to consider if you think anyone would appreciate, or be helped by, a brash, snappy attitude from anyone, least of all from an anonymous person on a forum meant to discuss diet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: October 25, 2015 06:28PM

iandthou, no problem. I'll not bother to respond to you're questions in the future. Carry on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 25, 2015 06:38PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> iandthou, no problem. I'll not bother to respond
> to you're questions in the future. Carry on.

If that is what you prefer, so be it. I would be happier to see you respond, even if it is in the same tone as you did, than not respond at all. I only said "consider your style of speaking", and you heard "get lost, i don't want to hear you". I am sorry that it ends like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 25, 2015 10:07PM

Hi friends,
I stop by here every so often to see how things are going in this forum which I was a very active member of from the 1990s up until about 2005 or so (if memory serves me well)... and frankly, to determine if civility may have finally made a slight comeback on this board.
I am shocked at how the forum discourse has devolved over in recent years. It's odd, and yet inevitable (same thing happened in the macrobiotic community when it came of age, and its limitations began to become too noticeable to shove under the rug anymore):
The more the raw food movement finds itself slowly coming to the collective realization that raw vegan food is not the ultimate salvation of mankind and secret of health and longevity, and that in fact the long-time adherents and 'gurus' of the movement are decidedly NOT exhibiting 'paradise health' (to use a term from Arnold Ehret's epic books on raw food and fasting).... it seems that the tone on the board grows ever more extreme, fanatical, confrontational and bizarre. And I'm not even referring to the 'not health related' forum, where things have gotten so extreme and fascist in orientation that I am really not surprised that the forum's membership numbers seem to have dropped.
Guys, be kind to each other! And do consider the fact that there is life (including health and well-being) outside the raw vegan movement. Failing to recognize and admit the truth and holding onto ideologies and paradigms that no longer serve us and have outlived their usefulness can often lead to projection and harsh judgment against anyone who disagrees with us. (We've all been there. Probably every one of us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 25, 2015 11:08PM

Yes, kwan.Thank you.
Gosia


RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 26, 2015 05:01AM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi friends,
> I stop by here every so often to see how things
> are going in this forum which I was a very active
> member of from the 1990s up until about 2005 or so
> (if memory serves me well)... and frankly, to
> determine if civility may have finally made a
> slight comeback on this board.
> I am shocked at how the forum discourse has
> devolved over in recent years. It's odd, and yet
> inevitable (same thing happened in the macrobiotic
> community when it came of age, and its limitations
> began to become too noticeable to shove under the
> rug anymore):
> The more the raw food movement finds itself slowly
> coming to the collective realization that raw
> vegan food is not the ultimate salvation of
> mankind and secret of health and longevity, and
> that in fact the long-time adherents and 'gurus'
> of the movement are decidedly NOT exhibiting
> 'paradise health' (to use a term from Arnold
> Ehret's epic books on raw food and fasting).... it
> seems that the tone on the board grows ever more
> extreme, fanatical, confrontational and bizarre.
> And I'm not even referring to the 'not health
> related' forum, where things have gotten so
> extreme and fascist in orientation that I am
> really not surprised that the forum's membership
> numbers seem to have dropped.
> Guys, be kind to each other! And do consider the
> fact that there is life (including health and
> well-being) outside the raw vegan movement.
> Failing to recognize and admit the truth and
> holding onto ideologies and paradigms that no
> longer serve us and have outlived their usefulness
> can often lead to projection and harsh judgment
> against anyone who disagrees with us. (We've all
> been there. Probably every one of us.

Thanks Kwan. I apologise if anyone feels I am spoiling the air on this forum. That was not my intention but if I have done that unwittingly, I am sorry. I have benefited from the discussions here, and I would certainly not like to cause any hurt, either to the forum or to SueZ in particular.

There is a thin line between being firm and direct, and being hurtful, and after reading your post, I am asking myself if in this case I crossed it without realising it. I don't know, really. But my intentions are not to hurt and it is good that you and RawGosia shared your views to help me see where I may be wrong. I will be more careful now.

If you would say what about my choice of words or sentences was hurtful, that would be helpful. But I wouldn't pressure you to get into these nuances. Thanks anyhow for encouraging an honest discussion.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2015 05:06AM by iandthou.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 26, 2015 04:13PM

it's ok, iandthou, kwan comes back every few months to be holier than thou, accusing others of being uncivil even though one cannot expect perfection in this kind of forum, and she is apparently unwilling to participate in order to elevate the discussion onto the higher plane that she resides on. we see what we focus on. there's been plenty of good conversation here and it has improved much recently. focus on the "negative" and you miss the positive. you didn't do anything wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 27, 2015 04:34AM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's ok, iandthou, kwan comes back every few
> months to be holier than thou, accusing others of
> being uncivil even though one cannot expect
> perfection in this kind of forum, and she is
> apparently unwilling to participate in order to
> elevate the discussion onto the higher plane that
> she resides on. we see what we focus on. there's
> been plenty of good conversation here and it has
> improved much recently. focus on the "negative"
> and you miss the positive. you didn't do anything
> wrong.

Thank you fresh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 27, 2015 07:31AM

iandthou

do x ray machines damage food? i think that is an excellent question and I'm kind of surprised that it has not been asked before. I think that it would... logically speaking though I have no proof. x rays are pretty high frequency. if they can go through the body to image it.. then why will they not go through food? Does food have some magical "barrier" that would prevent x rays from going through them?


iandthou


<<There is a thin line between being firm and direct, and being hurtful, and after reading your post, I am asking myself if in this case I crossed it without realising it. I don't know, really>>

You didn't cross any lines. Your boundaries were initially crossed (without your permission). Do not second guess yourself. You took a firm stance.

<<If that is what you prefer, so be it. I would be happier to see you respond, even if it is in the same tone as you did, than not respond at all.>>

Be careful what you wish for. No response is better than a covertly instigating response.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 27, 2015 10:31AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: October 27, 2015 12:30PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> iandthou
>
> do x ray machines damage food? i think that is an
> excellent question and I'm kind of surprised that
> it has not been asked before. I think that it
> would... logically speaking though I have no
> proof. x rays are pretty high frequency. if they
> can go through the body to image it.. then why
> will they not go through food? Does food have some
> magical "barrier" that would prevent x rays from
> going through them?
>
>
> iandthou
>
>
> <>
>
> You didn't cross any lines. Your boundaries were
> initially crossed (without your permission). Do
> not second guess yourself. You took a firm
> stance.
>
> <>
>
> Be careful what you wish for. No response is
> better than a covertly instigating response.


Thank you la veronique. It is good to know that you think I did nothing wrong. I'd still rather have stern and difficult responses than cut off communication with anyone. If the other person was downright abusive, that would be another matter, but that is not the case here.

As I wrote, I too think that x-rays must harm food. A friend said that the degree of radiation in an x-ray is many hundred times less than the degree of radiation we and our food is exposed to every single day from satellite communication and other sources. He is probably right, but that doesn't mean the x-ray is harmless. It just means that the x-ray is a less poisonous than other kinds of radiation.

Here is precisely what he wrote - "The radiation dose typically received by objects scanned by a cabinet x-ray system is 1 millirad or less. The average dose rate from background radiation is 360 millirad per year."

It also seems to me that much of our food would have passed through x-rays. Every time food is transported by air, and in this country, also by overground and underground trains, there is an x-ray check. Also consider those metal detectors one walks through or the smaller ones that are moved all around one's body - we probably live in a forest of radiation, which is thicker for some and less for others. A cancer heaven.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 27, 2015 08:49PM

I feel unease about passing my food through x-ray machines, but I also feel at times it's a necessary evil. I have not felt any emotional or physical ill effects from it; the effects are more mental.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 29, 2015 06:14AM

iandthou

maybe you could eat the bulk of your food before and after going to work
in that way, you are ensured that MOST of your diet is free from the x ray radiation ( from the train)...

Also, do you grow any of your own food? Maybe pots indoors or hydroponically even? That might be another option.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 29, 2015 10:35PM

Fresh-- Sorry you feel that way about me. Perhaps I have not articulated my true feelings very well. I believe you are perhaps misunderstanding the place of deep compassion and concern that my words come from.
And I wasn't being critical of 'I and Thou' whatsoever. I was responding much more to the person whose reply to him was mean-spirited.
Okay--- I'm out of here. Will no doubt 'check in' again in a few months, just to see how the RAW community is evolving -- because raw veganism and this forum were so much a part of my life at one point -- but I realize I have moved on, and no longer resonate with the raw vegan community very much at all (except as a temporary expedient to detoxify).
But not before wishing everyone here well, and letting you know that despite my sometimes blunt words, my motives are that all will live in love, joy and peace... and WELL-BEING. And frankly, I don't intuit great well-being here. I sense chaos and great pain.
If anyone wants to stay in touch with me, look for me no Facebook: "Distant Healing Gift-Waves for You" (frequent free remote healing events) and "Sharrhan Williamson". THANKS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 29, 2015 11:53PM

I did get the intended meaning of your words. Have a wonderful day Kwan.
smiling smiley


RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 30, 2015 06:06PM

iandthou

I mentioned growing your food at home not as a remedy to the x rays on the train but to address your other concern about shipping and handling transportation etc. and what happens to the food before it arrives to you so i was talking about two different issues.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 31, 2015 12:09AM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fresh-- Sorry you feel that way about me. Perhaps
> I have not articulated my true feelings very well.
> I believe you are perhaps misunderstanding the
> place of deep compassion and concern that my words
> come from.

I do understand but don't see the point in not participating in something and then saying that people here should be more kind. kindness doesn't happen by telling someone to be kind, it comes from showing kindness.

> And I wasn't being critical of 'I and Thou'
> whatsoever. I was responding much more to the
> person whose reply to him was mean-spirited.

I knew that.


> Okay--- I'm out of here. Will no doubt 'check in'
> again in a few months, just to see how the RAW
> community is evolving -- because raw veganism and
> this forum were so much a part of my life at one
> point -- but I realize I have moved on, and no
> longer resonate with the raw vegan community very
> much at all (except as a temporary expedient to
> detoxify).



> But not before wishing everyone here well, and
> letting you know that despite my sometimes blunt
> words, my motives are that all will live in love,
> joy and peace... and WELL-BEING. And frankly, I
> don't intuit great well-being here. I sense chaos
> and great pain.



is there any pain in your life, kwan?

i have already said that we see what we focus on, so you are focusing on the chaos and pain.

> If anyone wants to stay in touch with me, look for
> me no Facebook: "Distant Healing Gift-Waves for
> You" (frequent free remote healing events) and
> "Sharrhan Williamson". THANKS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: November 01, 2015 08:53AM

Very surprising comments from Kwan.

It is not the raw food or living food that is the problem. You can find so many not just on this forum who have made a real commitment to change their lives and health by going raw.
Healthy digestive system. You can feel life vibrating in every part of your body. No disease.

Many fail because they can't let go of the past and SAD eating habits.

They cannot BE BORN AGAIN. Rebirth is a personal choice.

You do not need much to understand that raw celery or raw celery juice is healthier than cooked or fried celery.
I thought you were going to introduce us to some new healthier diet or life style but distant healing? These are for those who have not made the necessary commitment to change their lifestyle and need spiritual healing from others.
If you are on raw living food you do not need distant healing you are already healed you are HEALTH
We need to teach people how to take control of their health not eat whatever they want and when sick wait to be distant healed



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2015 08:56AM by CommonSenseRaw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 01, 2015 07:26PM

..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: November 03, 2015 04:55PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> iandthou
>
> maybe you could eat the bulk of your food before
> and after going to work
> in that way, you are ensured that MOST of your
> diet is free from the x ray radiation ( from the
> train)...
>
> Also, do you grow any of your own food? Maybe
> pots indoors or hydroponically even? That might be
> another option.



Thanks la_veronique. Eating the bulk of my food for breakfast and dinner - that is a good idea. Let me consider it.

I don't grow food on my own so far. I am still new to the living food diet but learning to grow my own food is something I plan to learn more about in the future.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do x-ray machines damage food?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 04, 2015 05:27AM

iandthou

have fun with experimenting smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.


Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables