Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dehydrator and warming up food? how is that possible?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 07, 2015 08:40AM

I hear of people warming up food in the dehydrator.
I hear of people warming up raw blended soups as well.

My question is..how?

If you get something like an Excalibur which has lateral air flow..
Let's say you use a glass bowl to put your blended raw soup and put it in the dehydrator..

How is that lateral air flow going to penetrate through the glass?

My other question is how do you dehydrate ANYTHING with any thickness. For example, if you wanted to make a raw vegan quiche ...it would seem near impossible especially if you put it in a glass bowl.

I don't see myself molding each and every food that I want to dehydrate so that I can avoid putting it in a container.. It seemsm like a REAL ordeal So, if it is a raw vegan thing that has thickness ( like a spinache quiche or apple pie or whatever)

Plus, some things are not that easy to mold like if you want to make an apple pie
where the majority of the ingredient is SLICED apples on top of the crust etc.

I saw a video where some lady made a raw vegan apple pie.. with a LOT of sliced apples that were on TOP of the crust.. and all of it was INSIDE of a glass container.. and she put it in the dehydrator...I'm pretty sure the dehydrator had lateral flow.

I was totally confused. I was thinking .. how on EARTH did she make the apple pie
in the dehydrator when it was stuck in a thick GLASS container? Was she just
pretending that it got dehydrated?

Do raw vegan chefs MOLD each and every food item that has thickness ( seems pretty impossible) before putting it in the dehydrator?

What's their secret?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dehydrator and warming up food? how is that possible?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 07, 2015 10:00PM

If the internal temperature of the dehydrator is 105 degrees, your soup, if left there long enough, will get to that temperature. Yes the sides of the bowl are thick, but this works -- albeit quite slowly -- it make take an hour.

Re: dehydrator and warming up food? how is that possible?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 08, 2015 07:38AM

Prana

<<If the internal temperature of the dehydrator is 105 degrees, your soup, if left there long enough, will get to that temperature. Yes the sides of the bowl are thick, but this works -- albeit quite slowly -- it make take an hour.>>

Thanks Prana. That's good to know. So, I guess I could make a veggie spinach "quiche" and have it turn out decently if I put it in the dehydrator...yeah?

I was thinking of loosely blending some veggies ( not so it is liquidy.. but more like.. pulsed) ...and putting it in a glass bowl..maybe using some other food for the "crust" ( haven't figured it out yet)...but

So, my question is ,will the dehydrator give the effect of molding it afterwards
so if I take it out of the bowl ,it will have a "quiche" pie shape and I can take it out and i can cut it in slices and it won't fall apart?

Do you know what I mean? I rarely use the dehydrator so thanks in advance for anyone who wants to take a shot at this. Maybe I will use sunflower seeds or something like that for the crust ( grinded and shaped as a crust)... and then..I will just have the pulsed veggies inside..maybe mix a bit of the nut powder and mix with lemon juice and a little water. All of it will go in a glass bowl. Or, is there some special bowl ( glass, not plastic or aluminum) that is thinner in density that people use for the dehydrator?

If the air flow was from the top , that would be more optimal..but it isn't. It is a lateral flow...which is good for drying veggies ( veggie chips), but not for quiches or pies imo.

Anyone have some creative ideas?
Prana... if I just leave the quiche bowl in the dehydrator overnight, will it have a quiche shape?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables