Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flax seed oil with a 6 month shelf life. Does this make sense?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: November 10, 2015 02:37PM

Today I was at a market and passed by an organic / fair trade store and decided to buy some flax seed oil. I bought a 700 ml bottle, pretty cheap and was quite excited about it because applying regular almond oil under my eyes has helped my dry eye condition, and I thought organic flax seed oil might be even better, because it has more omega 3.

When I got home and read about flax seed oil I realised that it goes rancid very quickly, ranging from hours to 3-4 days, the latter if refrigerated. Now, the bottle I got was not refrigerated. It doesn't even say it should be refrigerated. It says "best before 6 months from date of manufacture", which is 28 October, already more than a month ago.

Does that mean this oil is rancid? It doesn't smell or taste bad at all.

Should I refrigerate it now? I probably will, but I am puzzled why the manufacturers don't say anything about this. The organisation that makes this is the most trusted and oldest non-profit organisation in the country in the area of organic farming, fair trade activism, etc. It is surprising that they would sell something toxic.

Should I be using this oil on my skin or ingesting it (which I don't plan to do anyhow)?

I know the obvious answer is that the manufacturers are ignorant, and that the oil must be rancid already or will turn so soon after I open the bottle, which I did just now. But holding the bottle in my hand I find that hard to believe.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2015 02:46PM by iandthou.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flax seed oil with a 6 month shelf life. Does this make sense?
Date: November 10, 2015 09:24PM

We can't beat nature and expect that extracted oils and juices from plants are going to remain stable.

A quick read of something you may find of interest:
[www.whfoods.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Re: Flax seed oil with a 6 month shelf life. Does this make sense?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: November 11, 2015 03:05AM

Yes, I've read this article. Thanks smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables