Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Swollen finger
Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: November 14, 2015 03:34PM

This morning I woke up with a numb swollen finger (the tip of the finger), it was red, enlarged and looking like I had an insect bite on it (but I'm mostly certain I didn't). It wasn't painful, it was just like I felt it was hard and there was a tension in it.

This happened to me 5 years ago, for at least 2 years in a row, but with all my fingers, they were all swollen and red and hard and numb and I basically couldn't use my hands at that time. Plus they were very itchy. I was basically looking at my fingers and as the time passed, I could see how they were getting more red and swollen. That was scary. I went to the doctor back then, I took all types of tests, including hormone tests and immunity tests, and the doctors' conclusion was that they didn't know what happened, they suspected I had the Raynaud syndrome. I followed a medication treatment and the problem went away (it only happened in winter months). The next year the problem came back, I took the same treatment on my own, without going back to the doctor, and the problem was solved yet once again. And so on. Then it eventually went away for good.

Until this morning. I know winter is approaching and I hope the problem won't come back. It's a very annoying feeling.

What are your thoughts on this?

Back then I was recommended to stay away from cold weather, do finger exercises for increasing circulation, wear gloves, stay away from chemicals such as detergents, stay away from things that could irritate my hands (even lemon juice, tomatoes, any other acid foods - I always handle lots of tomatoes by chopping them and I'm usually ok, sometimes I feel they attack my skin like lemons do, but I don't get swollen fingers).

I searched online, but the symptoms mentioned there don't match my own entirely, so I'm not sure I have this syndrome (the doctors weren't sure either).

I don't know what fruits/veggies could help me in this case (or what should I do).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swollen finger
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: November 20, 2015 07:26PM

organic1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds potentially like peripheral neuropathy,
> which is commonly caused by vitamin b12
> deficiency. Peripheral neuropathy causes
> numbness, tingling, burning in the extremities.
>
> The diet you follow of mostly just fruit and salad
> greens, a 90/5/5 style raw vegan diet is typically
> very deficient in a number of essential nutrients
> including vitamin b12. You can't expect to ignore
> dietary intake of basic essential nutrients such
> as vitamin b12 and be ok, these are essential
> nutrients that meant to be supplied by the diet,
> which of course vegan diets do not.
>
> To consume no dietary vitamin b12 intake until
> severe deficiency sets in, is very reckless advice
> from the natural hygiene crew again.
>
> If it was me, id have my doctor test both vitamin
> b12 and iron levels.
>
> If i could recommend anything, stop taking health
> advice from unqualified pretend "guru's" such as
> Doug Graham, who keep diagnosing you as "detox"
> over the internet.

Ela has reported being diagnosed with both low B12 and D. I don't know if she is still taking the supplements for those deficiencies. She knows she's not getting enough iodine, too, but seems not to want to address that problem yet.

I cringe at the thought of what dg is advising her at his new site Ela now says she frequents. I worry for her health, too. I also wonder how her hip is doing.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: November 20, 2015 08:02PM

I agree with Organic 1 that B-12 can help the nerves, including the hands, and b vitamins even help with carpal tunnel sydrome.

Yet, from what she describes, Raynaud syndrome sounds more plausible, even though the b vitamins can help.

TCM has a great track record to help with Raynaud's. But I didn't mention it before because of the potential NH clash of approach. But for the record here is an example of a few very basic formulas that could be modified to suit one's constitution and other symptoms

[www.itmonline.org]

[chinesemedicinesalon.blogspot.no]

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: November 20, 2015 08:18PM

organic1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ela has reported being diagnosed with both low
> B12
> > and D. I don't know if she is still taking the
> > supplements for those deficiencies. She knows
> > she's not getting enough iodine, too, but seems
> > not to want to address that problem yet.
> >
> > I cringe at the thought of what dg is advising
> > her at his new site Ela now says she frequents.
> I
> > worry for her health, too. I also wonder how
> her
> > hip is doing.
>
> It seems my worries in the other thread were
> justified and my thoughts that it sounds like
> peripheral neuropathy looking more likely if ela
> has already been diagnosed as having low vitamin
> b12 levels.
>
> Id really think about consulting a professional
> here Ela and having your b12 and iron levels
> tested again. A majority fruit and salad green
> diet is not nutritionally complete enough to be
> healthy long-term.
>
> I think its extremely reckless of Doug Graham to
> diagnose your current health problems as "detox"
> over the internet, especially if you have blood
> work showing deficiencies of these essential
> nutrients such as vitamin b12.
>
> Take peripheral neuropathy as a signal that your
> vitamin b12 levels are getting low enough to cause
> nervous system issues. Severe vitamin b12
> deficiency long term causes irreparable nervous
> system damage, so don't let poor vegan dietary
> information from the likes of Doug Graham or John
> Rose end up ruining your health permanently.
>
> The issue with this forum once again, will be if
> my posts are still up for Ela to see come morning,
> as we all know how much Prana loves his
> censorship, even at the expense of his members
> health.
>
> So if the my posts are deleted and im banned as
> usual, i hope one of you guys can re-mention
> peripheral neuropathy and vitamin b12 deficiency
> to Ela.
>
> Thanks, that was mainly why i signed up to post to
> be honest.

It would be hard to justify deleting your post and leaving up one linking an included "remedy" of antler gelatin, wouldn't it?

Date: November 20, 2015 08:32PM

By the way, I am a vegan herbalist. TCM is notoriously animal-vegetable-mineral, but I focus on the vegetable part.
I don't give animals products to my clients, nor do I recommend them.

I should have made that disclaimer. If I have to edit all the links I give for a condition, then I simply won't give a link because of time constraints.

I remember Harley flipped out on Dan McDonald because Lou's company had a dairy product. Lou is vegan, but he didn't own that company. Lou only recommended certain products in that line. But Harley wouldn't let it go that dairy was offered on the site. Give me a break...Dan never recommended the whey. It's like telling someone to go to the health food store to buy some horsetail and they have to walk by the meat section. So what.

TCM is really gentle yet effective for Raynaud's and it is so easy to make a vegan formula. But not so easy to harmonize it with NH. That's why I didn't push it or am not pushing it. Just sharing for the record.

Date: November 21, 2015 02:07AM

Ela wrote:
the doctors' conclusion was that they didn't know what happened, they suspected I had the Raynaud syndrome. I followed a medication treatment and the problem went away

Organic wrote:
But ela really needs to see a professional in my opinion to get proper diagnosis.

Tai:
I said what I did based on her doctor's best guess. If someone with Raynaud's has low B-12, well then they should supplement, because it will only help.

Date: November 24, 2015 01:36PM

Thank you all for your concerns and advice.
Last year I got tested for B12, which was on the lower side, and for vitamin D, which was severely low. I took vegan sublingual B12, 2 bottles of 30 pills each, and each pill had 5000 mcg. I'll order some B12 soon. I also took vitamin D2 (I still have like 50 caps to take). I know D2 is not that efficient, but I don't want to take regular D3. And I don't want to order vegan D3 online from other countries because I have to pay it via bank account/card and I don't want to have anything to do with banks and cards. The most recent blood work showed my iron level is fine.
My finger (I'm talking about the tip of the finger, the part with the fingernail, not the whole finger) has still swollen, mostly in the morning, still kind of red, no pain, no itchiness. Later on in the day it seems to get better.
Btw, when I was first having this problem (all my fingers swollen), I wasn't vegan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 01:37PM by Ela2013.

Date: November 24, 2015 04:58PM

Regarding my hip, strangely enough it has been rather ok, not bothering me much, I no longer had huge pain or at least a very noticeable pain that would be so annoying. However, I now feel it a bit more, maybe due to my gallbladder attack that I mentioned in my other thread.

What's your iodine source? What algae source do you have? I avoided algae for many reasons: being contaminated with metals and the pollution in the oceans, not being 100% vegan if collected together with smaller fish and other living organisms (like it's the case with nori), etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 05:01PM by Ela2013.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables