Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

First living foods experience...and question?
Posted by: strangeseraph ()
Date: January 04, 2007 08:33AM

I haven't actually started my transition yet, I still have tons of processed foods in my house, and I'll probably still have cookable foods in my apartment once I'm done with the processed foods...

Okay so I went to the vegetable market and I totally didn't buy anything. I swear I'm so bad, making every excuse why I shouldn't start shopping at the market, "can't carry it all home, gotta walk, it'll all go bad; won't ever eat it, etc."

Well I went to the market, and the guy was giving out samples of his fruit and cider. I took a peace of pear, and it was delicious!

CAN YOU BELIEVE ITS BEEN A YEAR SINCE I'VE HAD A PEAR? Maybe a month since I'd last had a peice of fresh fruit! I sort of had a revelation. I haven't bought any groceries since; I'm eating what is left in my cupboards and apartment (I can't bear to waste anything) and when I have no more processed foods left, no cooked sandwhich filling in a can (spam) no ramen, no more junky uber sweet fruit juice boxed (they cook fruit juice before they box it to 'pasturize' it don't they?) No more junk! Just the occasional fair trade chocolate bar to support a worthy cause, and tea, because I'm a tea totaler. smiling smiley I plan on loading my fridge with stuff. I need to get a raw food shopping list handy. I want my diet to be more fruit and veggie based and still have the things I need; omegas, B12, etc...

List items? Anybody who can lend me their shopping list?

Also, some items I want to ask about, because you know I'm going to ask;

rice? Do raw foodies have a way of preparing rice to be edible, or no?

raw bread, how to/easy recipes? How do I make my own raw breads like flatbread for making roll ups and such? I don't know, bread might be one of those things I end up buying that isn't totally raw because I am not somebody who can take a long time preparing things very often because of my health. (but being more healthy from eating raw foods might lead to that. I'm not totally without hope!)

dehydrator? How much do these things cost and what do they do, what are they used for? o.o

sprouting? links to sprouting guide, the purpose of sprouting, etc?

toxins? I know certain vegetables/sprouts/grains are toxic if they aren't cooked so which ones are they? Which to avoid eating and which are safe? (this goes back to the rice question, I guess. I know which vegetables I am willing to eat raw, and which ones I refuse to eat cooked or raw. (cough, eggplant, cough)

So basically I'm looking for all the answers to this stuff, which I will then print out and take with me when I go to market. smiling smiley Thanks guys!

-=- Jay -=-

Nature is a wild and unpredictable master, yet certainly wiser than man by far.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First living foods experience...and question?
Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 04, 2007 11:54AM

Hi,
You can't bear to waste anything"...", yet You waste YOUR health, life..? winking smiley

I can't spend to much time not only on preparing foods but also on internet(that's why i became raw.. to save time, energy, be healthy and full of energy), so I'll ony touch on most obvious to ME..smiling smiley

1.Grocery shopping list: I do not have one, reason being is: Eating tasty, good looking, FRESH RIPE fruits, vegetables Should be the goal: And GUIDE: Your nose, fingers, eyes, ears..
go and try to smell, look, touch something that appeals to Your senses..

2. Toxic: #1 MILK, obvious, any diary,
..so:#1 Soya .. whether milk, bread anything, after coking it still has enzyme inhibitors, choose "lentil" if You'll find: it has all the goods of "bean family" yet during soaking 99% of the toxic inhibitors/antifood substances are being removed: opposed to other beans.

#2 Bread=Starch, potatoes, pastas, rice, bread(processed, cooked)
i have prepared wild rice unprocessed one, and from time to time i still do, it is D E L I C I O U S, yest i 've had it .. 6 months ago last time, :I LOVE Fruits winking smiley
#3 Seeds, nuts, should be eaten only fresh, or soaked: watrer toxic after soaking.

3. Soaking is My preffered method of preparing seeds, nuts, lentils, buckwheat
I preffere this method/versus sprouting, because i get no fungus, or rotting
1. Take 1 or 2 Qt(litre) Jar, put 1/3 of seeds(start with sunflower, lentil or buckwheat(unprocesed) int Jar, and fill with water, can be tap if you know it is not to contaminated. Use ONLY COLD Water, Hot tap has solvents addes to prevent buildup of inorganic stone due to heating.
2. let it sit at a warm place, room temperature is ok
3. setting soaking at 6, or 8 pm allows for next morning meal to be ready, but protein, aminoacids, and fatty meals should be eaten afternoon), so chande water until it'll be clean and let it sit till afternoon. it'll be Soft, and tasty(buckwheat, lentils, sunflower seeds)

Sprouts grown past 1/2 inch start to have LESS absorbable food in them and more Celulose: digested by cows smiling smileywinking smiley

4. concentrated food is not good for us regardles whether raw or cooked. Raw causing LEAST damage, and if unprocessed: hard to overeat.
Follow this pointers to have most pleasent experience on raw:
1. morning watery fruit or 2 glasses of water: and continue on SWEET fruit like banana, or Rasins, dates, till about noon.
2.afternoon, try to eat salads, if you'll desire fruits: make it Acidic, like KIWI..
3.last meal around 6 pm, : more seeds, nuts, and vegetables.(fats and aminoacids being fastest to digest, assimilate, and NEEDED afternoon.
4.strive to go to sleep at around 9, 10 PM. : That's what nature does, and it will allow for most efficient and regenerating sleep.
Usually at about 5 am you'll have a strong body and clear mind: there will be NO NEED for TEA, ot COFFE. a couple of bananas WILL get you going BETTER That anything else, and: WON'T ROB Your body of ENERGY, Tea, coffe is a Poison to our body, and stresses, and irritates internally MAKING your immune system to FIGHT back= more energy IS being released to remove it from body:

Learn to drink "hot" water, instead of HOT TEA: it'll work wonders, especially if you put 3 cloves in it instead of a tea bag.

Cheers!, and good Luck.
One single MOST Important advice i CAN Give to You: Read BOOKS, and MAKE YOUR OWN EDUCATED ASSUMPTIONS winking smiley.
Good start is ANY book by Dr. Douglas Graham(on Athletic performace) or Dr. Norman Walker.

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 05, 2007 07:57PM

You can also make "smoothies" (blender meals) out of greens and fruit. Good if you don't have time to eat all that fruit etc. That's how I got started. See recipe forum.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 05, 2007 08:57PM

Hi Jay,

My shopping list consists of 2 things typically: fruits that are in season and look good to me, and greens. The greens are typically celery, lettuces, spinach. The fruit depends on the season. For now, its persimmons, bananas, tangerines, oranges, grapefruit.

I don't think its possible to prepare raw rice. You can get your carbohydrates from fresh sweet fruit, which is much easier to digest than starches.

Raw breads are a fine transition food. There are some recipes on [www.living-foods.com]

Dehydrators are not necessary, but if you want one, get the Excalibur. My most used appliance is a blender. After the blender comes the food processor.

As for food toxins, if you eat a lot of fruits and greens, you won't have to think about toxic foods. The basic rule is this: if it tastes good without any preparation, its a good food. Cooking does remove toxins out of foods, say like in soy. Raw soy is inedible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2007 10:11PM by Bryan.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: January 05, 2007 10:09PM

Hi, Jay,

For wraps I use romaine lettuce, collard greens, nori seaweed sheets. The romaine can be kind of messy but it's delicious. You just can't wrap things up neatly to take with you.

The collards are more flexible and durable, leathery. I wash and dry the leaf and then remove as much as I can from the spine in the middle of the leaf by shaving it off. It works well for wraps.

Where do you live, Jay? If there's one nearby, you might find it fun to go to a raw potluck or raw restaurant and get familiar with some new and wonderful tastes.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: January 06, 2007 12:07AM

[> I haven't actually started my transition yet, I
> still have tons of processed foods in my house,
> and I'll probably still have cookable foods in my
> apartment once I'm done with the processed
> foods... ]

I have been raw 1 month and my house is still filled with cooked, frozen and canned goods. Mostly because of my family. They aren't raw. So its a real challenge.

>[ CAN YOU BELIEVE ITS BEEN A YEAR SINCE I'VE HAD A
> PEAR? Maybe a month since I'd last had a peice of
> fresh fruit! I sort of had a revelation. I haven't
> bought any groceries since; I'm eating what is
> left in my cupboards and apartment (I can't bear
> to waste anything) and when I have no more
> processed foods left, no cooked sandwhich filling
> in a can (spam) no ramen, no more junky uber sweet
> fruit juice boxed (they cook fruit juice before
> they box it to 'pasturize' it don't they?) No more
> junk! Just the occasional fair trade chocolate bar
> to support a worthy cause, and tea, because I'm a
> tea totaler. smiling smiley I plan on loading my fridge with
> stuff. I need to get a raw food shopping list
> handy. I want my diet to be more fruit and veggie
> based and still have the things I need; omegas,
> B12, etc...]

I was like you. I used to eat maybe 1 piece of fruit each month and maybe 1 glass of water every 2 days. I drank other things but not just plain water in a glass.

> [List items? Anybody who can lend me their shopping
> list?]

Today I bought:

- 1 bag of navel oranges
- 1 banana bundle
- 1 small head of cabbage (for coleslaw)
- 7 cups of raw nuts/seeds .
- I bought 7 different spices in bulk so I can make breads in the dehydrator. I even bought 1 cup of sun dried tomato's.
- 1 Instant salad, I each half at a time per meal because its so big.

I have more to buy but small things like this helps get through the week.

[> Also, some items I want to ask about, because you
> know I'm going to ask;]
>
> rice? Do raw foodies have a way of preparing rice
> to be edible, or no?

I soak wild rice for an hour or two, or if u like couscous soak in hot tap water for 5-10 min.

>
> raw bread, how to/easy recipes? How do I make my
> own raw breads like flatbread for making roll ups
> and such? I don't know, bread might be one of
> those things I end up buying that isn't totally
> raw because I am not somebody who can take a long
> time preparing things very often because of my
> health. (but being more healthy from eating raw
> foods might lead to that. I'm not totally without
> hope!)
>

You need a dehydrator for that. They are easy to make.

[> dehydrator? How much do these things cost and what
> do they do, what are they used for? o.o]

$40-$250
They are used for meals you cant make in a stove.

>
> sprouting? links to sprouting guide, the purpose
> of sprouting, etc?

I've tried. I gave up. I dont recommend it for a beginner.

Posted by: strangeseraph ()
Date: January 06, 2007 11:10AM

Thanks everybody. smiling smiley Today's the day I go to the vegetable market and see what all they have. I may end up bringing a bread loaf home, until I can afford a dehydrator or whatever to make my own raw breads with. If I have to eat anything cooked it'll be bakery fresh wheat breads at most or soy milk (to get my B12 and omega vitamens)

So I've made a good shopping list for veggies and fruits, and seeing how I never done this before I think I've made good choices. Finding organic will probably be a little harder, but all the farmers are local at least so thats good.

I also forgot to ask about raw eggs. :/ Anybody here eat eggs raw? (I know, its not vegan, lol) I'm a little weary of that because of salmonella, but I used to make partially cooked eggs where the yolk would be mostly uncooked and I'd dip bread into it. So that might be an easier way to get b12 and omega besides soy milk. I have an aversion of pills, in fact I almost complete avoid them, so supplements are not something I want to bother with.

That's about that. Its weird ,for somebody who has not eaten any fresh fruits or veggies for a long time (everything a prepared food) I discovered soo many fruits and veggies I already enjoy as I was just writing down names of all the ones I could remember. Holy veggie! grinning smiley

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:19PM

trinity082482 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > sprouting? links to sprouting guide, the
> purpose
> > of sprouting, etc?
>
> I've tried. I gave up. I dont recommend it for a
> beginner.

Please don't that put anybody off! Sprouting is simple, there is lots of info around on how to grow sprouts easily.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 06, 2007 02:54PM

Instead of going totally raw from what you have been eating, why not start adding some fruits and vegetables to the diet you have?

Make some fresh squeezed orange juice every morning to add to whatever you have for breakfast.

You can saute some vegetables (onion, zuchini, broccoli) plus chop some raw ones like tomato, lettuce, onion, grated zuchini, grated carrot, season with unrefined solar salt, and wrap it in a wheat tortilla from the health food store.

Don't trust the regular grocery store to have foods that are not laced with chemicals to make you hungrier after you eat them. The national food companies have shown they cannot be trusted. Profits are more important to them then your health is. Their "healthy choices" are not really healthy so don't be sucked in.

Also, try changing your drinks to distilled water only. No more tea and coffee. They are not health drinks. And chocolate is not a health food no matter what advertisements you see. These things are addictive and dehydrating.

Good luck. Congratulations for getting on the right track.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 06, 2007 03:09PM

WOW-I AM GONNA PRINT THIS OUT...IF I CAN.I AM LIKE JAY-JUST STARTING. I GO TO THE STORE AND I AM SO OVERWHELMED.I HAVE SEVERAL RAW COOKBOOKS I BOUGHT AS OF THIS WEEK.JAY -THE ON I GOT IS THE SPROUTMANS KITCHEN GARDEN.IT HAS REALLY GOOD INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT SPROUTING. I TOO AM JUST STARTING TO GO RAW THIS WEEK.HUBBY STILL EATS EVERYTHING BUT I AM GENTLY WORKING ON HIM.I MAKE A GREEN SMOOTHIE-WITH 4 AND 1/2 OZ. OF BROCCOLI AND 2 EATING APPLES AND A TABLESPOON OF LEMON JUICE.IT WAS SUCH A PRETTY DRINK AND IT WAS LIKE HEAVEN.HE RESISTED AND I JUST SAID A TINY TASTE AND HE DID AND HE LOVED IT.ALL THESE TIPS FROM EVERYONE IS SO VALUABLE.I HAVE MY WHEAT SPROUTING NOW-TO MAKE BREAD -I HAVE LENTILS SPROUTING BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THEM.SO KEEP IT SIMPLE IS THE MAIN ADVICE...I AM HEARING FROM EVERYONE.THANKS GUYS SO MUCH FOR ALL OF THESE WONDERFUL TIPS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables