Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Healthiest Greens
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 04, 2007 06:42PM

What are the healthiest greens? How about baby greens? Or green sprouts? Green grasses?

I know that our soil these days is depleted, so are greens are not as packed with nutrients that they once were.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Healthiest Greens
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2007 08:41PM

Wheatgrass I believe, then kale. Check [nutritiondata.com]

Date: January 04, 2007 10:10PM

Narz, thanks for the link. If Wheatgrass does not contain gluten, then I'll try it. I had a fruit & green drink with kale, this morning and it was delicious!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 04, 2007 10:59PM

My understanding is that Dandelion Greens are some of the healthiest - and that most of the dark, leafy greens are good in their own way.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Raw Step By Step ()
Date: January 04, 2007 11:04PM

They all have different levels of nutrients, so I don't really think that one is better than another. To get all your nutrients in balance it is best to have a variety. I prefer the tender greens since they are more palletable for me personally.

Date: January 04, 2007 11:34PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My understanding is that Dandelion Greens are some
> of the healthiest - and that most of the dark,
> leafy greens are good in their own way.
>
> -David Z. Mason

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. They're also one of the toughest. Chemists have been trying for years to figure out the best way to kill them and they just keep on popping up, gotta love it. smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 05, 2007 12:14AM

The darkest ones are your best bet. They don't have to be green, red/purple is also great.

The tops are

in the spinach family (goosefoots)
chard, spinach, beet greens

in the lettuce family (composites)
romaine, bibb/boston, dandelion, redleaf, greenleaf

in the crucifer family
kale, turnip greens, collards, bok choi

Choose from all three, but the mild lettuces are easiest to eat a lot of.

Yes, the baby ones are better, milder, sweeter. If you have the choice between the bigger and the smaller sized leaf (or veggie or fruit) the smaller one is going to be more nutritious. Usually there is a better surface are to volume ratio which means a more highly concentrated source of vitamins, minerals, and protective phytochemicals.

I eat sprouts, too, but I can't eat enough of them to make an appreciable contribution to my kcals. They are more like a condiment than a starring role in diet.

Date: January 05, 2007 12:18AM

When I buy greens, it's a different one, so the dandelion greens are next.

I keep telling my friends and family that green smoothies are hip and cool.. and most of us want to be hip..haha.. bribery has been used in worst ways. I make them fruit & greens smoothies and they love them.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 05, 2007 12:21AM

Wild greens. Most nutritious and free!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 05, 2007 02:38AM

I drink my fresh green juice like it's medicine. I try to vary the greens, but I really like adding a small amount of dandelion greens. My fav. is celery, carrots, spinach, and dandelion greens.

I didn't care for wheatgrass juice..not that I didn't like it..it is actually sweet..but for some reason just didn't feel right to me. It could be that I was/am not ready for health wise for it.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 05, 2007 11:44AM

Forgot to mention Plants for a Future website which has a great database of plants and tell you which are edible: [www.pfaf.org] So many of the plants called "weeds" are actually delicious foods!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:03AM

I like wild greens alot too!! Dandilions are really good and excellent for helping keep liver and kidneys and stuff well cleansed and other good ones are lambsquarters and plantain and purslane and stuff

The best of the wild greens though is of course stinging nettles. They're one of the must nutritious greens in the world!!!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:05AM

hey hot stuff, I say umm spinach and Bok choy

Date: January 06, 2007 01:09AM

Thats what I been using lately too!!! I can't really find wild greens at this time of year and of the cultivated greens oh ya for sure spinach then bok choy is the top of the list smiling smiley I find bok choy alot!!! easier to digest than kale is too smiling smiley

Date: January 06, 2007 02:17AM

oh don't forget parsley too!!! Its actually a herb so its very potent its often best mixed with other greens too like spinach and bok choy and tatsoi and stuff.

I do love my greens smiling smiley

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 06, 2007 02:03PM

I want to agree that wild greens are great. I have a tiny semi-wild garden just outside the apartment that supplies me with more greens than I need. I don't know the names of most of what's growing but the only thing that I've never eaten from it is the rare grass blade that pops up now and again. Some of those guys taste great too. I remember when I lived in Santa Cruz sometimes eating the Miner's Lettuce that grows wild. Americans may remember from your history books that this is the plant that Indians in California introduced to the miner-49'ers that kept them from getting scurvy. Or am I getting it wrong?!

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 06, 2007 11:49PM

My experience tells me that the best greens are freshly picked tender greens. So, I am planting them around my backyard!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: January 07, 2007 03:19PM

Wheatgrass or no wheatgrass?

I'm so confused. I know I need to eat more greens. And I have been reading a lot.. maybe too much because some sites and people say the stuff is great and others say it is toxic.

I see that for every person who says something is a miracle food for them, another person says that same thing is "toxic." If you think it is toxic, can you tell me exactly why?

I have always thought that we all need to find our own way. Fruitarian for some. Lots of fasting for some. All or mostly greens for some. Rainbow diet for some. 80-10-10 for some. I don't think there is one perfect one size fits all.

Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: January 07, 2007 03:51PM

For green smoothies, I like dandelion greens with banana and some water - really simple and satisfying. When using kale, I am conservative with the amount of kale I put in because I was overdoing it, and it was not tasty to me.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 07, 2007 04:42PM

what is green

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables