Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What about sushi / sashimi?
Posted by: YMS_1975 ()
Date: December 14, 2015 07:50PM

Hello,

I was wondering if you can eat :

- sushi
- sashimi

..while on the raw diet. I'm not 100% raw; I'm more like 95% raw, but I was just wondering if those two items are raw-diet friendly.

Any takers? smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What about sushi / sashimi?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: December 14, 2015 08:46PM

Sushi is raw fish, and sashimi usually includes cooked rice, so it's up to you whether you want to eat those things (the only rules on a raw diet are the ones you make up yourself). If I'm eating at a Japanese restaurant I usually opt for a seaweed salad, they're so nice.

If you're eating at home you could try making your own raw vegan versions, they pretty easy:

Nori seaweed sheets (they sometimes come 'toasted', so watch out for that - although if you're not 100% you might not mind)
Cucumber / courgette, thinly sliced (a mandolin slicer is good for that)
Ripe avocado, mashed up
Add any other veggies you like, red peppers or something like sauerkraut adds a good flavour.

Spread the avocado on the nori, add the sliced veggies, roll it all up, then cut in strips. It's fun making up recipes. Enjoy smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 14, 2015 08:59PM

No, you should not eat ate raw flesh of any kind, whether it is fish, fowl or mammal or any creature. That would also include medium rare or rare, because the center is still raw.

The vegans I have known who have eaten raw eggs as an experiment have gotten sick for weeks. Maybe it doesn't happen every time, but why choose a diet where sometimes you can get violently ill? My friend claimed to be vegan but then admitted she followed the Norman Walker diet which included raw egg once a month in a smoothie.

The raw vegans I have known who have eaten sushi as an experiment have also gotten sick, one with a persistent pinworm infection.

You should look up Dr. Flora on this site and read her story in PDF. She was a raw vegan helping Ann Wigmore and was healthy, and then ate some sushi in Japan. She suffered from parasites for a long time after that until one day, she had a ton of extra wheatgrass juice and did an overdose rectal implant. WIthin a half hour or so, she expelled a lot of worms, which had been killed by the wheatgrass juice. It souded to me like they had been killed, unless it just had a vermifuge action.

Raw animal flesh is a source of pathogens and parasites. It's a game of russian roulette.

My colon hydrotherapy teachers once had a case of a man who was into "pristine" eating of the instinctive diet...all raw, but included raw seafood and perhaps other raw animal foods. They watched him wither away and die. They both begged him to get help but he was so convinced of his diet. My teachers are both fat and omnivores, so it's not like they ever encouraged a restrictive diet. YOu hear about some cases of people who seemed healthy with raw meat, but you don't hear the horror stories on the side that don't get talked about.

if you want raw protein, there are a variety of raw vegan protein powders on the market. Purists say to avoid protein powders but practically speaking, people usually don't have time to always make protein rich juices or smoothies, which is what they are seeking when they eat sushi. When you have a raw protein smoothie, it will keep you satisfied for hours.

Also check out the sproutarian man's website for making raw living protein via sprouts and sprout juices. Greens have protein, but it seems people who like to eat sushi want a heavy dose of protein in a small package, quick to chew or swallow.

check out Patrick Baboumian, a vegan weight lifter who won the world record in yoke lifting and see the kind of protein he eats. He does pay attention to the amino acid ratio, which some vegans think is below them, but he is getting results.

I will write an aside here. There is a strange remedy I heard about for cancer: raw fresh rattlesnake blood. I looked into it, as some people claimed it to heal their cancer (as part of a regimen). There were all these wondrous tales. But then I looked into it further and found that it has made some people extremely sick. See, some people have immune systems that can take a high load of pathogens, but others have immune systems that cannot and they succumb. That is how it is with raw animal foods. So, the take away message is do not accept at face value the wondrous tales, but look at the cases who are ruined by these ways.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 14, 2015 10:49PM

I once treated a classically trained Japanese sushi chef. He knew exactly how to cut the fish, what parts to remove to avoid the most parasites and everything related to preparing the safest sushi.

He was heart broken because his wife died of stomach cancer at around age 50 or just under. She ate his food, because she did not cook herself.

Also, I once met a middle aged woman with hair down to her feet. I asked her her secret. She was heavy into supplements, but she also ate sushi. I think there is something to the amino acid ratio of meat, because in some people they seem to benefit, like in the case of this woman. Yet, it's totally a double edged sword. As in this sushi couple. The man survived and appeared to have normal health and yet the wife died. See, you can't take isolated success stories...you have to look at the whole picture.

That's why I do think Patrick Baboumian is smart to consider amino acid ratio, but just from vegan sources.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 11:02PM by Tai.

Date: December 15, 2015 05:43AM

Great posts Tai, and certainly well expected for you to write those warnings against the extremely dubious practice of raw meat eating.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 22, 2015 12:57AM

Try making it with raw veggies

Brocolli or cauliflower rice or just fill it with nut pate sprouts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables