Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Like or dislike young coconuts?
Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 06, 2007 09:49PM

The CoconutChronocles do you live in a hot place? Here in Vancouver we get snow in the winter so i do not know if the plams would survive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 07, 2007 12:36AM

Hi VeganLife,

Yes I live in the Caribbean (Jamaica).

I hear Vancouver is lovely... my husband has friends who moved there a few years ago and they love it.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: February 07, 2007 03:45AM

I really love coconuts, but I don't usually buy them anymore, at least the young Thai coconuts, ever since I learned that they are dipped in some fungicide or whatever-icide to keep them from turning brown after the outside has been removed, and that this -icide gets absorbed into the water. Oh well, just an occasional treat for me!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 07, 2007 05:09AM

Gosia thank you very much for sharing....that is probably why you only make smoothies which is great...these receipe's called for so much i wasn't sure what to do haha...anyways i tried your smoothie idea and it was still a little strong for me but i added some frozen grapes and it was delicious smiling smiley...Thank you for your suggestions
oh and Uma....thank you for the info on the coconuts......that is very interesting to know..especially since i just recently started the coconuts and i licked my lip and finger after touching the coconut and it tasted like some sort of pesticide or like you said icide smiling smiley it really weirded me out because they were supposed to be organic so i found it really interesting to hear that!!! Guess i won't be buying them too often either..probably once in a lifetime smiling smiley
love sachelle
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Date: February 07, 2007 05:18AM

Wow I didn't realize there are such serious issues with Thai coconuts and fungicide... this must be a North American thing??? We do not dip our coconuts in anything in Jamaica.

Date: February 07, 2007 10:01AM

Ok, so what is the best way to cut open a young coconut? Is there a specific tool for this task?

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: February 07, 2007 04:43PM

The best tool? My strong husband. smiling smiley I can tell you what he does...uses a really big cleaver, and whacks the coconut one time, then rips it open with his hands. But before whacking it, he pokes a hole in the top and we drain the milk out. And here is a link where they talk about young coconuts, and how to open them:

[www.raviana.com]

Date: February 09, 2007 12:12AM

Thank you, Yogamama, it's a useful article!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 09, 2007 01:09AM

Here is an instructive article called "How to use young coconuts for your vibrant health!".

Date: February 10, 2007 05:39AM

Yikes! I see what you mean... and really thank you so much for sharing this as my husband and I are frequently in the US. I had no idea but it honestly shouldn't surprise me at all... everyone seems to be so pesticide-happy here!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: uma ()
Date: February 10, 2007 05:52AM

Well in the US here, we import young Thai coconuts that have the husk cut off and then they are wrapped in plastic -- the husk is cut so the sides are flat and better for packing. But normally if you did this, the outside of the coconut would quickly turn brown. But it stays white for a long time! Suspicious....

Then one day I heard someone share an experience of a kid's birthday party with coconuts being dipped in food coloring for one of the festivities... and when the coconuts were opened up, the water on the inside was colored! That means if the outside of the coconut is dipped in a chemical... guess what, it's probably in the water too!

But, I do on occasion eat frozen imported durian which has something sprayed on it too. An occasional treat seems to be OK for me.

Love,
Uma

Date: February 10, 2007 05:54AM

How odd! Our messages seemed to have switched places Uma lol... as my response to you is above your post.

Must be a coding error

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Pyratekk ()
Date: February 10, 2007 05:26PM

I'm not that big on coconut in general, but I can stomach mature coconuts easier than young ones sad smiley

~Christi~
Natural Living Info
AP/NL mama to Jacob 10/25/2006

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables