Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help - im getting sick on the lifestyle!!!
Posted by: Hiljana ()
Date: January 11, 2016 12:37PM

First excuse my engelsh.
I need help!
I am a big girl 171 cm and my weight is 113 kg. After a whole life with jojo-dieting my body no longer wants to loose weight. I strugled alot with illnesses and infections. But then i started moderate low carb at first and ate low carb for 2,5 years. In this period i was almost never sick. Everybody around me could get the flu in the winter, but i would not. I felt great on that lifestile, but i could never loose any weight. I tried watching my calories at the same time and in the end i tried cutting my carbs more and more. But still i could not loose weight. I always believed in the filosify of fresh fruits and greens, and therefore i decided to stop low carb as i was not loosing weight anyway.
I then started eating fully raw, but it was too hard so i started eating Raw Till 4 instead. I have been very focused on getting enough calories in me. But my issue now is that im getting sick all the time. My infections are back. Im getting one infection after another. Im always with sore throat. And i get 3 herpes outbreaks on my lip the past month (when on low carb i would get 1 a year).
So my question is: Is there anybody else out there who experienced the same? Will it pass if i stay on the same course? I cant live my life being sick all the time. And i really dont want to go back to low carb.
I have been watching my calories and taking vitamine suplement, but still my immune system is really weak after starting eating mostly raw.
Please help!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help - im getting sick on the lifestyle!!!
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 11, 2016 05:27PM

organic1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Raw till 4 or even raw vegan diets are not
> typically nutritionally complete or balanced
> diets.

FALSE

Raw vegan diets are commonly deficient or
> low in a whole host of immune system related
> nutrients such as vitamin b12, vitamin d3, iron,
> selenium, iodine and of course zinc.

FALSE

>
> Even if you are getting decent amounts of zinc, on
> a strict plant based raw vegan diet you are likely
> getting 1-10x+ the amount of copper in relation,
> so this naturally lowers the little amount of zinc
> your consuming anyway, resulting in zinc
> deficiency symptoms such as spots/ridges on your
> nails, weak immune system function, low
> libido/hormonal imbalances, fatigue and more.

FALSE

>
> Copper/zinc imbalances can manifest in many ways
> such as poor immune system function and frequent
> infections. Zinc is a very important nutrient for
> immune system function as is Vitamin D and B12.
>
> Personally id abandon those fad raw/vegan diets as
> you already know don't bring good or consistent
> results and try find yourself a qualified
> nutritionist who can form you a balanced
> nutritionally complete and majority plant based
> diet smiling smiley.
>

IN OTHER WORDS, ORGANIC1 DIDN'T DO WELL SO NOBODY ELSE CAN.

> Blood testing for iron and vitamin b12 etc can be
> helpful if long-term veganism and yo-yo dieting
> has resulted in these common nutrient
> deficiences.
>
> All the best smiling smiley

OOH SCARY SCARY SCARY. ALL THE BEST!

Date: January 11, 2016 07:37PM

Hiljana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First excuse my engelsh.
> I need help!
> I am a big girl 171 cm and my weight is 113 kg.
> After a whole life with jojo-dieting my body no
> longer wants to loose weight. I strugled alot with
> illnesses and infections. But then i started
> moderate low carb at first and ate low carb for
> 2,5 years. In this period i was almost never sick.
> Everybody around me could get the flu in the
> winter, but i would not. I felt great on that
> lifestile, but i could never loose any weight. I
> tried watching my calories at the same time and in
> the end i tried cutting my carbs more and more.
> But still i could not loose weight. I always
> believed in the filosify of fresh fruits and
> greens, and therefore i decided to stop low carb
> as i was not loosing weight anyway.
> I then started eating fully raw, but it was too
> hard so i started eating Raw Till 4 instead. I
> have been very focused on getting enough calories
> in me. But my issue now is that im getting sick
> all the time. My infections are back. Im getting
> one infection after another. Im always with sore
> throat. And i get 3 herpes outbreaks on my lip the
> past month (when on low carb i would get 1 a
> year).
> So my question is: Is there anybody else out there
> who experienced the same? Will it pass if i stay
> on the same course? I cant live my life being sick
> all the time. And i really dont want to go back to
> low carb.
> I have been watching my calories and taking
> vitamine suplement, but still my immune system is
> really weak after starting eating mostly raw.
> Please help!!!!

when you transition from a low carb to a higher carb it is likely that your body will show symptoms. it is cleaning out.

they will go away eventually

don't eat past your own hunger and don't eat a specific amount of calories

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 11, 2016 07:49PM

Hijana, as that fat starts to melt away on a high carb low fat diet (10% or less of calories), you will be releasing a lot of toxins from the fats as they are burned up in your body. This means you will experience a lot of detoxification symptoms -- flu like symptoms, skin rashes, bad odors, etc, until your body has removed them all.

The best thing to do when these symptoms come up is to get more rest and sleep, and perhaps eat less food if you are feeling like you have the flu.

Drinking more water during detox will help things move more quickly.

Date: January 12, 2016 05:13AM

>>>Raw till 4 or even raw vegan diets are not typically nutritionally complete or balanced diets. Raw vegan diets are commonly deficient or low in a whole host of immune system related nutrients such as vitamin b12, vitamin d3, iron, selenium, iodine and of course zinc.

Meanwhile, back in reality, we have this guy.. on a typical raw vegan diet.

[www.thefruitarian.com]

Date: January 12, 2016 06:33AM

turn subtitles on for the video

[rawbodyandsoul.com]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 12, 2016 04:38PM

Hi Hiljana,

Look into boosting carnitine:

The raw foods with the most carnitine are avocados and nuts (lysine and methionine). But make sure you also cover the building blocks for internal synthesis niacin (spirulina) and iron (leafy greens).

[www.clinicaladvisor.com]

The human body requires L-carnitine for fat metabolism. This amino acid is manufactured in the liver and kidneys and stored in the muscles, heart, brain, and sperm.1 L-carnitine is made from two other essential amino acids—lysine and methionine—in a process requires niacin, vitamin B6, and iron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 04:40PM by Panchito.

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: January 12, 2016 06:11PM

I had a very nasty 'detox' period when I first transitioned to a high raw diet. It was like having a stomach bug and the flu all rolled up in one and lasted several weeks. Had I not been expecting it and understood it was my body dumping stored toxins, I would have thought the diet was awful. It slowly improved though over the next few months and I felt more energetic and healthier. I've been on a high-raw (not 100% raw) diet for a year and a half or so and feel great! It really sucks in the beginning, but I guess as the old saying goes, no pain, no gain.

I still have a couple (whole food) cooked vegan meals a week as I feel it helps me stick to the insane amounts of raw foods I eat and keeps cravings at bay, but a solid 85-90% of my diet is raw. I personally supplement B-12 because I know I don't eat enough of the vegan sources of it and add a vegan vitamin D3 supplement in the winter (that more has to do with living in Oregon since it rains all winter here). Otherwise, my diet is nutritionally balanced. I also personally feel better with a little more fat in my diet than traditional 80/10/10 calls for. Listen to your body, diets are never one size fits all!

One last thing, please be aware, nutritional deficiencies take years to form, not weeks, not months. Get a nutritional tracker (like cronometer) and use it as a guide to see what vitamins/minerals you may need to get a little more of long term and work onto incorporating foods with those nutrients in them to your diet more. If your eating a wide variety of raw foods though, you'll be surprised how easy it is to hit virtually all your daily nutritional intake requirements. The only one thats a bit touchy is B-12, but that is easy enough to supplement if need be. Good luck!

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: January 12, 2016 06:25PM

And i get 3 herpes outbreaks on my lip the past month (when on low carb i would get 1 a year).

Aha! There's the clue. Look up "arginine and lysine - herpes". Nothing to do with raw vs cooked, I don't think. There's tons of info on the Web. I nearly fell over when I found this site while researching info for a person with shingles, a bad type of herpes:

[tendler5.wix.com]

The author, Joan Tendler, had multiple health issues that she ultimately tracked down to excessive arginine but not enough lysine in her vegetarian diet. Too many nuts and seeds. So she stopped being a veg'n, but on her site she still makes recommendations for those of us who want to be vegetarians.

However, meateaters can also have excess arginine/low lysine in their diets. It's just that we have to work harder at avoiding arginine and emphasizing lysine.

Best of luck to you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables