Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Has Raw Food Lost Some of It's Momentum?
Posted by: Ifeelgood ()
Date: January 13, 2016 03:59AM

I'm noticing a lack energy from the raw food community. For example when I do a search for "Raw Food Message Board" I don't find very many. I also went to the Events section on this message board and there were no events posted for last year! While the year 2008, for example, had several pages of events.

I doesn't seem to have affected the book market though, I checked Amazon and I could have bought a new raw food PAPERBACK (not Kindle) book about once a week last year. Wow! That's what has happened, no one goes to events anymore, they sit at home and write blogs and books:-)

Anyone read a good raw food book recently?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has Raw Food Lost Some of It's Momentum?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 13, 2016 06:25AM

A lot of the online support forums for raw foods are now on Facebook. But yes, the momentum has slowed down. Still, it seems like raw foods has gained a wider audience -- most health food stores, even in small town like the one I live in, have prepared raw food products -- kale chips, energy bars, etc. And our small town has 2 places to get a raw vegetable juice.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 13, 2016 06:31AM

about 7 full on raw restaurants within a couple hours of me.
that is amazing.

Date: January 13, 2016 03:55PM

Facebook, I should have guessed. I do have a Facebook account, but I only used it for playing games and I actually haven't been on it for years, I guess I'll have to resurrect it if I'm going to get my raw food community fix. Thanks, Prana!

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 13, 2016 04:38PM

organic 1 wrote:
When normal outsiders look in and see raw vegans acting all crazy because someone says lightly steamed vegetables such as broccoli are healthy foods, they just see crazy people.

Tai
At Au Lac restaurant, raw vegan chef Ito has a fully raw menu with one exception: steamed brocolli and cauliflower with a raw vegan sauce. It comes warm. His food is pretty hardy and his trademark dish is cultured raw wild rice that is very easy to chew. Tons of raw vegans eat from his menu and no one has closed his services down because he serves steamed brocolli.

There is a method of increasing vitamin D in mushrooms and D levels in humans have normalized eating these mushrooms.

they now have vitamins and minerals from raw whole food plant sources. I just bought a raw vegan iron and calcium supplement from concentrated plants

and as I said before, I got these naturally cultured b vitamins that are not synthetic.

I won't keep repeating myself, Organic 1. I don't have time. It's true, people could eat a really deficient vegan diet, but they don't have to. The same is true with meat eaters: meat eaters could eat a really deficient diet in fiber and vitamins, etc. I would rather deal with deficiency than with cancer. Yeah, some vegans get cancer, but it's not as common as with meat eaters. Put it this way, in order to be healthy, a person has to become conscious about their nutrient intake, no matter what diet they are on.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 13, 2016 04:54PM

Tai, almost all wild rice (and 100% of store bought wild rice) is cooked before it is packaged. While it is possible that you are really eating it raw at the restaurant it is absolutely not possible if the color of the served rice is any darker than very light tan.

Date: January 13, 2016 05:02PM

Organic1, there is nothing wrong with including salt in a raw food diet. Good raw salts are a great way to get in minerals. Fulvic acid and seaweed are other great sources of minerals for raw vegans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 05:03PM by SueZ.

Date: January 13, 2016 05:03PM

>>>We've been reduced to a handful of individuals at best, most who aren't even vegan let alone strict raw foodists.

We??? you are not raw and you are not vegan! and you're not even trying to be!

and it doesn't matter about a "raw food movement" there is a trend to higher raw and more veganism, even though negative idiots like yourself don't get it.

Date: January 13, 2016 05:15PM

organic1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Sorry, i must have come across wrong.
>
> What i meant is that raw foodists are notorious
> for eliminating salt from their diet and then
> saying they'll rely on celery for organic sodium,
> yet you never see them consuming celery much,
> certainly not enough to get adequate sodium to
> balance all that potassium rich plant foods out
> daily.
>
> Yeah, im a big fan of unrefined trace element rich
> salts myself, himalayan, celtic sea salt etc.

I don't know how much celery the raw foodists who have a taboo against salt take in. It's possible to get a lot of sodium in by dehydrating and powdering celery - unless they have a taboo against dehydrating too, lol.

Date: January 13, 2016 05:19PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Tai, almost all wild rice (and 100% of store
> bought wild rice) is cooked before it is packaged.
> While it is possible that you are really eating it
> raw at the restaurant it is absolutely not
> possible if the color of the served rice is any
> darker than very light tan.

Also, Tai, there are a lot of people selling wild rice as raw that has just been parched for less time. It is still cooked, though if it is golden like this ...

[www.ebay.com]

Date: January 13, 2016 05:20PM

tell that to the animals you are harvesting while making lame excuses to take a b12 pill

Date: January 13, 2016 05:24PM

strict plant based diets work all the time all around you.

you're just too busy hiding in your home claiming 811 is dangerous while arnstein breaks running records.

what a poser you are.

Date: January 13, 2016 05:35PM

organic1 Wrote:
> fresh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > tell that to the animals you are harvesting
> while
> > making lame excuses to take a b12 pill
>
> Fresh, who lives in his constant dreams that one
> day he will turn into a snake.

Maybe more as a ruminant chewing his cud all day. Snakes aren't purposefully herbivores - they just get what was in their prey's stomach of that - except for the exclusively egg eating snakes of course, lol.

> That is about the only way you are ever going to
> make your strict plant-based diet work fresh, if
> you somehow morph into an animal who also happens
> to be a strict herbivore lol.
>

> Which to be fair, has more chance of happening
> than RP altering his body permanently through
> fermented foods to suddenly only require a 100%
> fruit diet lol.

Poor RP.

Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:39PM

To the Organic One-
Doug Graham turned back to eating cooked food again?? When? where? Why? How do you know? Give some links.

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:51PM

I'd suspect like many lifestyles, the number of true "followers" was never that many in the first place and likely never will be. Let's face it, raw veganism is a highly restrictive diet and lifestyle to follow long term and requires people to eat vast quantities of foods they probably don't like very much (I know I eat far more leafy greens than I ever cared to). For whatever reason, raw probably became "trendy" for a while and the herd of "need to be doing the popular thing du jour" people swarmed to it, boosted the numbers for a while and have now simply moved on to whatever is currently "trendy" in eating (paleo and GF it seems).

It'll be 17 years this month since I first went vegetarian (and never went back). I've seen quite a few times over the years in the general veg community all of a sudden people around you are going veg/vegan left and right (only to find out some celebrity did it or 20/20 did some story on meat ext..). It lasts about 6 months, maybe a year and they slowly start going right on back to their old ways because they never really believed in it in the first place, found it "too difficult", they couldn't eat whatever they wanted, they ate improperly and felt bad ext... Given the benefits of a properly done raw diet, I could see the draw for trend followers and also why they didn't stick around for long.

Date: January 13, 2016 05:57PM

You said Doug graham went back to cooked food. Why are you backtracking now?

I know things aren't quite right in the head so I'll overlook your calling me fresh.

Date: January 13, 2016 06:06PM

To organic, it's not just one mushroom, it's a method of increasing D in many mushrooms, although some will have higher values depending on the kind of mushroom. Also, it's not forever. Maybe eating the mushrooms for 1-2 months daily per year during winter.

Organic, look, not everyone can eat meat and dairy and you need to accept that. There are foods and supplements to meet those needs. Many people get sick from eating meat and dairy. So, then the only challenge is to avoid deficiency on the vegan diet. Organic, don't get so invested in your criticisms, as one day you might really need to be vegan for a long period and you don't need your subconscious baggage sabotaging you. Organic 1, this is the last time i will address this topic with you. I am speaking to you as an herbalist and as one who has nursed a lot of sick people. Don't trash what you might one day need. Just because it might cost more, that doesn't negate its value. Don't refuse to spend the money if you might need it one day. We care about you Organic 1. Goodbye for now. (There is a saying...don't bite the hand that feeds you. One day, a pure plant based diet might be the thing you need most.)

SueZ, yes you said that once before. Thanks for the link. Well, Ito isn't a very strict rawist for serving and eating steamed vegetables anyway. Anyway, black rice (chinese kind) is very edible raw.

Date: January 13, 2016 06:26PM

Tai Wrote:
>
> SueZ, yes you said that once before. Thanks for
> the link. Well, Ito isn't a very strict rawist
> for serving and eating steamed vegetables anyway.

Am I right then to assume from your response that he is serving the golden (cooked) wild rice and not the light tan (raw) wild rice? I'd like to know.

> Anyway, black rice (chinese kind) is very edible
> raw.

I know but that's a whole different thing from wild rice.

Date: January 13, 2016 06:33PM

organic 1 wrote:

Its about freedom of speech here and especially when people are getting hurt by these strict vegan diets, something of course you don't care about or can't see past your vegan bias.

Tai:
You obviously never read my threads where I shared about horror stories in the raw vegan world including osteoporosis and teeth disasters. Of course I care. I don't have time to respond anymore today, but I don't like you smearing my reputation. I am against people getting hurt with deficient diets.

organic 1
How many times do you need to be told also, that a family on welfare cannot afford the package of vegan supplements, so how do these people live healthy ?

tai
john mcdougall md has addressed this topic. He has broken it all down.

Date: January 13, 2016 06:39PM

suez
Am I right then to assume from your response that he is serving the golden (cooked) wild rice and not the light tan (raw) wild rice? I'd like to know.

tai
he rinses it so many times that there is no dark color left. it doesn't resemble wild rice at all when he is done with it. I have no idea what the beginning product looks like. His food is expensive but not so expensive. I can't imagine him buying really expensive wild rice. It could be totally raw, as the end product looks completely light colored.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 13, 2016 08:38PM

Raw food has exploded in popularity and really entered mainstream consciousness over the past decade or so. Even here in Scotland, famed for our unhealthy 'deep fried mars bars' and irn bru, lol, there are vegan restaurants, juice bars such as 'Juice Garden' (who are always really busy), and I would say we have some of the BEST raw chocolate makers in the world cool smiley
(These guys are true alchemists - [www.almightyfoods.co.uk] [decadentlypure.co.uk] )

Because of that I'd say there seems to be a LOT of people who are aware of it, experiment with it, and try to eat at least partially raw. But I think there are still a lot of strict raw vegans around.

There's a very popular group on Facebook for instance, 'Raw and Delicious Lifestyles' whose admin are extremely strict about people posting non-raw, non-vegan stuff.

There's also an awesome group called Raw Food Wild Riot, the admin is raw vegan but she is very tolerant of people posting who are partially raw, or just 'raw curious'.

And re: wild rice, I remember I used to buy it from the store and managed to sprout it, so that one must have been raw at least.. can't remember the brand though :/

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: January 13, 2016 08:45PM

" And re: wild rice, I remember I used to buy it from the store and managed to sprout it, so that one must have been raw at least.. can't remember the brand though :/"

Sometimes they give the appearance of having sprouted after long soaking when they "bloom" open but on close inspection - no.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 13, 2016 08:51PM

ah, interesting! they did look like they had little tails, if I remember rightly.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: January 13, 2016 09:01PM

lisa m Wrote:
> ah, interesting! they did look like they had
> little tails, if I remember rightly.

Yeah, that's how it fooled so many in the raw food community for so long I guess. I've noticed there are plenty of raw cookbooks featuring this faux raw wild rice in recipes.

Date: January 14, 2016 01:59AM

Organic 1-->"So really what your saying then, is its only you thats aloud to warn us the dangers of raw vegan diets when it comes to osteoporosis or teeth issues because your pro-vegan.

But of course im not aloud to have an opinion, cheers."

Organic 1 is so aloud in saying aloud when it should really be allowed and not aloud.Was that aloud enough for you, Organic or I am not allowed to say this aloud?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 02:01AM by Anon 102.

Date: January 14, 2016 02:15AM

organic1 Wrote:
>
> Especially when the majority of the science on
> veganism is negative and 99% of the small pool of
> science on raw vegan diets is largely all negative
> too.
>
> Not a good start basically..

I was raised with the idea that you HAD to eat some animal products and in the back of my head I think I had the idea that I might risk my health if I didn't eat animal products. So when I went mostly vegan I held my breath because I had no idea what would happen to my health, but I did it for the animals. Within the first few months to a year my weight normalized, slight tremors in my hands vanished (I might have been getting diabetes), skin tags vanished and various other little ailments that I've forgotten cleared up too.

Over the next few years I continued to see healing in my skin and about once a year a skin blemish would suddenly start to get red and swell up and then it would just peel off and heal over several days. They did this all on their own, I didn't apply any healing products to them. So instead of seeing new skin blemishes appear every so often, I'm seeing them gradually heal.

That's my science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 02:22AM by Ifeelgood.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 14, 2016 03:50AM

ifeelgood, thanks for sharing your experience!!

Date: January 14, 2016 04:20PM

>>If you are 100% fully vegan now, how do you intend to obtain many of the basic essential nutrients which are typically deficient or low on vegan diets such as vitamin b12

supplementation

>, vitamin d3,

SUN

> iron

foods

>, iodine(if not consuming sea vegetables as a vegan)

foods

>, copper/low zinc imbalances

show a diagnosed copper zinc imbalance

>>, pre-formed omega-3's such as DHA,

created in the body

>> conditionally essential amino acids such as taurine, methionine, carnitine etc.

created in the body

>>To play devils advocate and to share a counter story, when i went strict vegan for 3+ years, i removed animal foods from my diet completely, yet it done nothing but ruin my health.

you made mistakes.

>>The only benefit to going raw or vegan for me, was that i got to learn about the wonderful health benefits of plant-foods. Although i also learned the danger in removing animal foods completely from the diet, i still don't believe its safe and the scientific research would agree.

no it wouldn't

Date: January 14, 2016 04:38PM

show the lie detector results proving that you went vegan for 3+ years. I say B.S.

then post all the foods that you ate during that period

then post what you ate in the previous 20 years

then post the test results showing all your deficiencies

then post proof that the CAUSE was the Deficiency of PLANTS and not a problem with your sick body.

then comment on why you ignore others successes and only make recommendations based on your experience.

then maybe you could tell the nice people here all the mineral inhibitors you ate during that period.

also try to think about the many ways that vegan diets have been done incorrectly and prominent people have failed and the reasons for it have been documented here on this very board.

then maybe understand that VEGAN is not as good as RAW VEGAN. see this is a RAW VEGAN board. different thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 04:44PM by fresh.

Date: January 14, 2016 04:49PM

oh where oh where are you gonna get your CONDITIONALLY ESSENTIAL taurine?

where?

such a puzzle.

where are you gonna get your vitamin C ?? this diet thing is so so difficult (because I, organic1 failed at it and am now causing the suffering and death of hundreds, thousands of animals every year)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables