Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw practicalist sproutman and others.. question
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 16, 2016 02:44AM

sproutarian man

<<Oh, l forgot to add the most important thing about the problems of using soaking to ferment. The biggest problem is that it will not always work. Why? Because even a food with moderate levels of tannin inhibit the fermentation process, therefore when RawPracticalist soaks the nuts and seeds he may not be getting near the bacteria and enzymes etc in the ferments that heir could be, especially with the nuts. The ferment will be very limited. The key is to overwhelm the tannins INITIALLY with a high phytase grain ferment, therefore a gluten grain is usually the ideal way. >>

Can anyone answer these questions? I'm a little confused.

If certain grains have high phytase in them, then why does everyone worry about their phytic acid content? Wouldn't they neutralize each other out?
Or... do you have to extract the phytase by fermenting?

Will probiotics neutralize the tannins so that you won't have to use rejuvelac etc.?

Will probiotics also neutralize the phytic acid as well? To what extent?

Raw Practicalist

<<Phytase is the enzyme that neutralizes phytic acid and it is highly available in some grains, so the trick is to sprout grains, and ferment those grains, and use that ferment in other ferments. The grains that are high in phytase include rye, wheat, barley, and buckwheat>>

So, you guys say that buckwheat has no gluten.what about the rye and barley. Do they have gluten?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw practicalist sproutman and others.. question
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 16, 2016 02:57AM

Interesting OP...Groundhog Day is Feb. 2nd, no? I seem to recall having this discussion before.

If you are seeking everyone's opinion, then it would seem to me that you wouldn't have to specify a couple of posters.

We also have a PM feature for those who wish to have private discussions on raw foods. I realize that some enjoy using it as a way to talk about other people behind their backs but... winking smiley

*Edit: I am sure I will be seen by some as snarky, which I can certainly be at times. But I am a very democratic person. I get value from most people for quite diverse reasons. I don't have much of a pecking order and I don't deem some as "experts" to the exclusion of others.

But that's just me... grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 03:05AM by banana who.

Date: January 16, 2016 03:16AM

LOL--I get it. The OP is exactly what I was referring to so that is probably why it was posted. Well-played, dear!

Because is this how we want to view our sustenance? Are we test tube babies? Beakers? Lab rats?

Can we balance health and food that tastes good? Isn't it OCD/orthorexic to worry about phytic acid? Isn't it too 3D, too worldly and body-conscious?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 03:17AM by banana who.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 16, 2016 03:39AM

"Tannins are present, not in large amounts in legumes. They are a group of polyphenols that binds with proteins thereby lowering their digestibility. Tannins content decrease significantly and to undetectable levels within 60 hours of sprouting."

Most of my fermenting of seeds and grains is now done after about 2 to 3 days of sprouting. I usually ferment sprouted mung beans, sprouted lentils, wheat berries. So the issue does not exists really for me.

>If certain grains have high phytase in them, then why does everyone worry about their phytic acid content? Wouldn't they neutralize each other out?

"phytic acid binds minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, manganese and zinc, copper and selenium, therefore, supposedly making them insoluble and thus unavailable for adsorption in the intestinal tract of humans."

Tannins and phytic acid are working in the same negative direction of making food digestion and absorption difficult so why would they neutralizee each other out.
They are actually helping each other.

Here is one who suggest to cook everything because of phytic acid in foods. [www.westonaprice.org]

My diet is mostly indoor micro greens, grass juices, and now more fruits, less nuts and seeds. I am fermenting less and may not need it at some point near. I used to think that I needed so many food items to be healthy, I am moving more into less, simpler diet. More cleaner inside, paying more attention to nutrient assimilation than to the quantity of the food.

It is becoming abundantly clear that fruits when taken from the proper environment is the superior food. It does not have all of these issues.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 03:49AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: January 16, 2016 06:35AM

Raw Practicalist

<< Tannins content decrease significantly and to undetectable levels within 60 hours of sprouting." >>

Very interesting. I was not aware of the time range. Thanks for letting me know.

<<Most of my fermenting of seeds and grains is now done after about 2 to 3 days of sprouting. I usually ferment sprouted mung beans, sprouted lentils, wheat berries. So the issue does not exists really for me.>>

That's cool. I read in your previous post that you rotate everything. That's a good idea.

<<My diet is mostly indoor micro greens, grass juices, and now more fruits, less nuts and seeds. I am fermenting less and may not need it at some point near. I used to think that I needed so many food items to be healthy, I am moving more into less, simpler diet. More cleaner inside, paying more attention to nutrient assimilation than to the quantity of the food.>>

I think micro greens are superior as well. I am getting more interested in pea sprouts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 06:46AM by la_veronique.

Date: January 16, 2016 07:05AM

banana who

<<If you are seeking everyone's opinion, then it would seem to me that you wouldn't have to specify a couple of posters.>>

Raw Practicalist and Sproutman (as evidenced in their prior post) had some experience in the matter that I queried about so I wanted their opinion.

In addition, in case other people also had similar experiences/knowledge, I was open to their experiences as well.

That being the case, I titled my post using the names of the specific people I had hoped to get a response from

as well as using the phrase " Others" in case Other People also had answers.

Using PM would limit my response to just the two specific people.

Not specifying the two posters would give me a less likelihood of getting any response.

So, this is the best I could do.

Do you have any other suggestions of how I could title my subject line with these goals in mind?

How would you title it?

Date: January 16, 2016 07:09AM

banana who

<< Because is this how we want to view our sustenance? Are we test tube babies? Beakers? Lab rats?

Can we balance health and food that tastes good? Isn't it OCD/orthorexic to worry about phytic acid? Isn't it too 3D, too worldly and body-conscious? >>

It would appear that way to you . And by all means, if that is how you feel, you have every right to respect your own unique set of emotions and attitudes. I won't argue with your opinion even if it differs from my own.

Date: January 16, 2016 09:14AM

Maybe "Does anyone out there know if...?" But in any case, I do apologize. Being onine can sometimes not bring out civility in a person. I should have left that one alone. Peace.

Date: January 17, 2016 06:35PM

banana who

<<We also have a PM feature for those who wish to have private discussions on raw foods. I realize that some enjoy using it as a way to talk about other people behind their backs but... winking smiley>>

I have noticed that the PM Notification function does not always work. Sometimes it does but in my experience, half the time it does not. Therefore, responses become very delayed. So, it is sometimes necessary to address specific people plus you get the added benefit of getting more information from everyone else.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 18, 2016 10:34PM

Yes microgreens are very high in nutrients

Researchers at the USDA Agricultural Research Service and the University of Maryland began studying the nutritional content of microgreens in 2012. They looked at four groups of vitamins and other phytochemicals – including vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta carotene — in 25 varieties of microgreens. The researchers found that leaves from nearly all of the microgreens had four to six times more nutrients than the mature leaves of the same plant, with variation among the varieties – red cabbage was highest in vitamin C, while the green daikon radish microgreens had the most vitamin E
[www.littlewildthingsfarm.com]

Date: January 18, 2016 11:23PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sproutarian man
>
> <>
>
> Can anyone answer these questions? I'm a little
> confused.
>
> If certain grains have high phytase in them, then
> why does everyone worry about their phytic acid
> content? Wouldn't they neutralize each other out?
> Or... do you have to extract the phytase by
> fermenting?
>
> Will probiotics neutralize the tannins so that you
> won't have to use rejuvelac etc.?
>
> Will probiotics also neutralize the phytic acid as
> well? To what extent?
>
>
> Raw Practicalist
>
>
> <>
>
> So, you guys say that buckwheat has no gluten.what
> about the rye and barley. Do they have gluten?

I can answer these questions with real world answers. The science v's real world is quite different, but they also merge on some things. O.k...lets have an intelligent discussion on this, but today is not the time for me to contribute because l am busy until after midnight (the next 14 hours). I'll make a note to try and get back to this tomorrow afternoon (31 hours from now).

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: January 19, 2016 07:42AM

sproutman

Did a little research of my own..I see that sprouting produces an inverse relationship where the phytase level ( already inherent in the food) increases and the phytic acid decreases so I guess I answered one of my own questions lolsmiling smiley

I like the idea of sprouting because it reduces phytic acid and increases nutrients. I had some pea sprouts today... blended them with other veggies. Tasted good. Felt fantastic!

Date: January 19, 2016 07:44AM

raw practicalist

<<Researchers at the USDA Agricultural Research Service and the University of Maryland began studying the nutritional content of microgreens in 2012. They looked at four groups of vitamins and other phytochemicals – including vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta carotene — in 25 varieties of microgreens. The researchers found that leaves from nearly all of the microgreens had four to six times more nutrients than the mature leaves of the same plant, with variation among the varieties – red cabbage was highest in vitamin C, while the green daikon radish microgreens had the most vitamin E>>

one word : wow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables