Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Living on sprouted flax and sprouted chia
Date: January 17, 2016 12:56AM

For the next two weeks l will happily live on:

Breakfast
- grass juice
- distilled water

Lunch
- sprouted flax seeds
- sprouted chia seeds
- seaweeds

Late afternoon
- distilled water

Dinner
- fermented almonds
- fermented hazel nuts
- green algae

On weekends it will be fruit all day (not by choice) and sprouted flax and chia for dinner.

I am quite happy to eat quite simple these days because it works well for me now. It's not the type of simple and one-sided eating l would teach others to do, but for me it works well. Diet is a very individual thing. My simple way of eating probably wouldn't work for most people.

We need to find our special lifestyle niche' that works for us and brings us to optimal levels.

www.thesproutarian.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Living on sprouted flax and sprouted chia
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:13AM

Simple and informative.

I observed the same about eating simpler and less.

Some on this forum would probably write that you are missing x, y, or z nutrients.

It seems like after many years on living and cleansing food, the body reaches a state or equilibrium where everything works well and we do not need a lot of food as in the past.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:23AM

well he's definitely missing zinc selenium dha taurine carnitine vit d3 b12 too much copper and a few others i can't remember, from what I've been told by the experts.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:31AM

Nom nom...

Date: January 17, 2016 01:48AM

>>Pthh, the experts are all science, but science can't explain individual

I was just kidding. doing my usual organic1 impression.

i love how you're still a reluctant fruit eater
tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 17, 2016 02:00AM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>Pthh, the experts are all science, but science
> can't explain individual
>
>
> I was just kidding. doing my usual organic1
> impression.

I know,l know. smiling smiley

>
> i love how you're still a reluctant fruit eater
> tongue sticking out smiley

Yes, fruit just doesn't do much for me because it doesn't satisfy me and it bores me very quickly. I am quite happy not to have any fruit. Just give me sprouts and l am a happy man...I am happy to eat just sprouts and nothing else because it satisfies me on every level.

I had a bowl of nectarines and apricots this morning and l am sooo over it.

When I eat a pile of sprouts I actually feel like i've eaten properly, but fruits and vegetables and seeds makes me feel like I haven't eaten properly...it's just not enough for me.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: January 17, 2016 02:20AM

>Yes, fruit just doesn't do much for me because

perhaps that is a wee bit of a generalization. i understand you have low variety and quality where you are?

what kind of fruit are you having?

Date: September 24, 2016 09:33PM

The Sproutarian Man

Breakfast
- grass juice
- distilled water

Lunch
- sprouted flax seeds
- sprouted chia seeds
- seaweeds

Late afternoon
- distilled water

Dinner
- fermented almonds
- fermented hazel nuts
- green algae

On weekends it will be fruit all day (not by choice) and sprouted flax and chia for dinner.

I am quite happy to eat quite simple these days because it works well for me now. It's not the type of simple and one-sided eating l would teach others to do, but for me it works well. Diet is a very individual thing. My simple way of eating probably wouldn't work for most people.

We need to find our special lifestyle niche' that works for us and brings us to optimal levels.

The good old days!!!

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: September 25, 2016 01:59PM

Im not a fan of uncle Adolf! look back at postings from John Rose and my self.
but some of the most intense diet experiments were done by those sick folk. many things, science studys lost in history?

lost in historical memory?

the contributions made by Nazi public health activists and food philosophers
were considered one of the most aggressive public health movements in the world.

Basil H. Aboul-Enein, MSc, MPH, MA
San Jacinto College
Department of Dietetics Technology
Houston, TX, USA
Keywords: Nazi, Nutrition, Cancer, Public Health, Ethics
Please address correspondence and reprint requests to Basil H. Aboul-Enein, MSc, MPH, MA at San
Jacinto College, Department of Dietetics Technology located at 8060 Spencer Highway, Houston, TX
77501 by telephone at: 832-894-4294 or e-mail at: Basil.Aboul-Enein@sjcd.edu.
Abstract
Nazi medicine invokes images of horrific experiments carried out by SS (Schutzstaffel) doctors
like Josef Mengele in the concentration camps. Against this background of atrocity visited on
some populations, cccccccccccccccccc Nazi public
health promotion and education were involved in activities that we might today view as socially
responsible within the fields of preventive medicine. The dietetic sciences may be regarded as
one of the least examined aspects of public health during the period of the Third Reich. This
brief commentary explores the forgotten aspects of preventive nutrition under Nazi Germany
and its implications within the current public health framework and dietetic practice.
PREVENTIVE NUTRITION IN NAZI GERMANY 2
Introduction
The Nazi ideology's image of a master race free of hereditary diseases and 'racial
impurities' was the impetus behind state sanctioned brutality that flourished through statesponsored
eugenics programs, anti-miscegenation legislation, sterilization, and the 'T4'
euthanasia program. Scenes of inhuman brutality and unethical medical practices that targeted
imprisoned human subjects, all of which was condoned by the leadership of the Third Reich,
characterizes the modern view of Nazi medicine. Stories of prisoners subjected to atrocious
experiments echoed in the halls of Nazi medical research. The enormity of the Nazi physicians’
ethical misbehavior gained world attention during the 1946-47 Nuremberg Trials where the
doctors were given sentences of varying severity (Biddiss, 1997). The Nazi State strived for a
healthy and vigorous German public through systematic eugenics, the expansion of public health
programs, anti-smoking campaigns and legislation, and occupational medicine (Proctor, 1999a).
To date, little attention has been given to the field of dietetics under the Nazi regime and public
health efforts to advance healthy eating.
Commentary
Since Nazi Germany encouraged its racially chosen citizens to live a healthy life, the
State sought to build upon an evidence-based correlation between food and healthy living. The
focus was the pursuit of a lifestyle to be considered worthy of a ‘master race.’ According to
Robert Proctor, science historian and author of The Nazi war on Cancer, the Nazis launched one
of the world's most aggressive public health campaigns and cancer prevention programs that
involved bans on carcinogens found in water, food, anti-tobacco advertisements, bans on
smoking, restrictions on asbestos use, occupational health regulations, restriction on carcinogenic
PREVENTIVE NUTRITION IN NAZI GERMANY 3
food dyes, and novel dietary therapeutics. Nazi policies favored healthful food and opposed fat,
sugar, alcohol, and sedentary lifestyles (Proctor, 1999b; Lemieux, 1999).
Nazi medical research, though shrouded by its notorious narratives of racial hygiene and
horrific experiments in the concentration camps during the infamous 'Final Solution,' brought an
emphasis on proper nutrition and a healthy diet (Proctor, 1999b). The Nazi regime believed that
eating more healthily would promote superior health and increase physical performance. Otto
Flossner, a nutritional physiologist at the Reich Health Office, believed that a purposeful
approach to a whole food diet only complemented racial hygiene (Proctor, 1999b). Nazi leaders
embraced this approach believing that a healthy lifestyle led to a healthier and fitter nation ready
to fight and win the coming war. In the last days of the Weimar Republic, diet became a growing
popular theme among political reformers and made inroads into the scientific and medical
community. Nazi nutrition advocates urged Germans to reduce meat consumption and increase
consumption of plant-based foods. A publication by German physician Erwin Liek linked poor
dietary habits to cancer risk. A 1933 article published in Odal, the monthly periodical of the
German Ministry of Agriculture and Nutrition, blamed unhealthy dietary habits such as
consuming too much meat, alcohol, white bread, foods saturated with preservatives, and not
enough fruits and vegetables on rising rates of cancer, tooth decay, kidney stones, and
rheumatism (Proctor, 1999b; Treitel, 2009).
Adolf Bickel, a physiologist at the University of Berlin, suggested evidence that Olympic
competitors who consumed a diet rich in variety and nutritional adequacy performed optimally at
the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games (Proctor, 1999b). In 1939, the Ministry of Agriculture and
Nutrition, under Dr. Richard Walther Darré, issued dietary recommendations with a focus on
fresh vegetables, fish, skim milk, cheeses, rye bread, grains, peas, lentils, and cocoa. The
PREVENTIVE NUTRITION IN NAZI GERMANY 4
recommendations also suggested a reduction in the consumption of alcohol, coffee, tobacco, and
animal fats especially from butter and pork. Foods should be high in fiber, with fresh foods
chosen over canned (Proctor, 1999b). Bakeries in Germany were required to produce wholegrain
bread that met the approval of the Office of Public Health (Proctor, 1999b). Dr. Franz
Wirz, a dermatologist and member of the Nazi Party’s Committee on Public Health noted that
the German diet had taken a dramatic turn. Germans in the early 19th century consumed 31 lbs.
of meat and 550 lbs. of whole grain per year. However, by the mid-1930s, Germans were
consuming 123 lbs. of meat and only 190 lbs. of whole grain per year with an accompanying
increase in the consumption of fats and sugars (Proctor, 1999b). Reich Minister of Food and
Agriculture, Richard Walther Darré, made the official statement that, “plant food must once
again as in olden times form the main food...flour and bread must be whole grain…meat
consumption should be sharply reduced, eggs used only sparingly. Alcoholic drinks should be
replaced by alcohol-free fruit juices (Treitel, 2009, p.143).”
During the war, the German Government continued to promote a diet high in fruits and
vegetables, while encouraging a reduction in fatty foods such as meat, whipped cream, and butter
(Davey Smith, 2004; Proctor, 1997a). A mid-1930s manual published through the Hitler Youth
titled Health through Proper Eating discussed the dangers of ‘empty calories’ and championed
legumes such as soybeans as a healthier alternative to meat. Both Hitler and SS Reichsführer
Heinrich Himmler were often intrigued by the dietary potential of consuming uncooked
vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Having given up meat in 1931, Hitler doubted that meat and
meat-derived fats could ever be as healthy as plant-based foods and olive oil (Proctor, 1999b).
The Nazis also advocated a reduction in alcohol consumption with intense campaigns
against alcohol and alcoholism, and considering that Hitler was a rabid anti-smoking and tee
PREVENTIVE NUTRITION IN NAZI GERMANY 5
totaling vegetarian, it is interesting to note that this did not necessarily apply to the German
soldiers who were handed alcohol and cigarettes in the field as morale boosters (Lewy, 2006;
Proctor, 1997b). Not only were the Nazis opposed to alcohol, but German physicians also
expressed their disapproval for the drink. Articles published in Deutsches Aerzteblatt, the gazette
of the physicians’ professional union and chamber, compared the dangers of alcohol with that of
other addictive drugs such as Nicotine. With regards to tobacco use, Reich Minister of
Propaganda, Joseph Goebbels, positively portrayed Hitler's abstinence along with Fascist leaders'
Mussolini and Franco as anti-Allied propaganda against Churchill, Roosevelt, and Stalin, who
were avid smokers (Proctor, 1997b; Doyle, 2005).
Conclusion
The Nazis translated German medicine into a state-sanctioned program for the purposes
of ‘racial purification’ and ‘moral improvement’ of the German nation. These programs resulted
in forced sterilization, murder of the physically and mentally disabled, and the expulsion and
extermination of what the Nazi state termed as Untermenschen (subhumans) i.e. Gypsies, Jews,
and Slavic peoples. Robert Proctor’s book, The Nazi War on Cancer, demonstrated that between
1933 and 1939, some areas of public health and education fared quite well under Nazi Germany
i.e. cancer care, campaigns against alcohol and tobacco use, occupational medicine, and dietetics
(Biddiss, 1997). The history of preventative health under the Third Reich is a history of
contradiction; of forced sterilization and genocidal ‘selection’ with bans on public smoking and
evidence-based healthful dietary interventions. The discipline of dietetic intervention under the
Nazi regime indicates how the practice of science can so readily coexist with the practice of
medical cruelty (Proctor, 1999c; Moore, 2002).
PREVENTIVE NUTRITION IN NAZI GERMANY 6
Dietary education under the Nazis involved the encouragement of the consumption of
fruit and vegetables, the use of wholegrain bread and the avoidance of meat-derived fat. Dietetic
sciences under the Third Reich remain perhaps one of the least examined aspects of public health
historiography. Some of these areas of public health and health education appeared very
promising such as cancer care, X-ray screening for tuberculosis, and statewide advocacy against
tobacco use. Research and regulation were at the forefront in the fields of occupational safety,
environmental health, and lifestyle-linked diseases. Cancer was declared an ‘enemy of the state
(Proctor, 1999b).’ Nazi principles favored healthier food choices that included whole grains,
fruits, and vegetables; and opposed fat, sugar, and alcohol consumption. Nazi researchers
suggested that an increased risk of cancer was brought on by improper dietary habits and this
was one of the reasons why Nazi nutritionists and food philosophers emphasized a healthy diet.
Nazi public health educators were focused towards a pursuit of a healthy lifestyle marked by
intensive labor productivity and military vigor. As was the case in Fascist Italy, with Mussolini
encouraging the consumption of an austere diet based on bread, polenta, pasta, fruits, vegetables,
and wine (Helstosky, 2004).
Books on Nazi medicine are usually designed to shock or disturb. Participations by
doctors in Nazi racial crimes were no doubt disturbing, however what is equally disturbing is that
some Nazi doctors and public health activists were involved in work that we, today, might regard
as progressive or even socially responsible. Nazi food philosophers and nutritionists like SS Dr.
Ernst-Günther Schenck stressed the virtues of whole-grain bread, vegetables, fruits, and nutrientdense
foods. What are we to make of Nazi anti-tobacco campaigns or their dietetic initiatives?
Did the Nazis do some good work in the fields of preventive medicine? Was some of that good
work motivated by Nazi principles? It is no doubt difficult to write on such a topic without
PREVENTIVE NUTRITION IN NAZI GERMANY 7
invoking some level of moral contemplation. Perhaps the question is not whether can good come
from evil, but rather what was it about Nazi Germany that encouraged the progress of (certain
kinds of) science and why was it lost in historical memory? Should we look at history differently
when we learn that Nazi leaders opposed tobacco and encouraged fruits, vegetables, and whole
grain? It is possible that perhaps the Nazification of German medicine was more complex than
previously imagined. A close evaluation into these public health complexities may broaden our
perspectives to new ways of thinking that binds the past to the present.
PREVENTIVE NUTRITION IN NAZI GERMANY 8
References
Biddiss, M. (1997). Disease and dictatorship: The case of Hitler's Reich. Journal of the
Royal Institute of Medicine, 90, 342-346.
Davey Smith, G. (2004). Lifestyle, health, and health promotion in Nazi Germany. British
Medical Journal, 329, 1424-1425. doi: 10.1136/bmj.329.7480.1424.
Doyle, D. (2005). Adolf Hitler’s medical care. The Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of
Edinburgh, 35, 75-82.
Helstosky, C. (2004). Fascist food politics: Mussolini’s policy of alimentary sovereignty.
Journal of Modern Italian Studies, 9, 1-26.
Lemieux, P. (1999). Heil health. The Independent Review, 4, 303-306.
Lewy, J. (2006). A Sober Reich? Alcohol and tobacco use in Nazi Germany. Substance Use &
Misuse, 41, 1179-1195. doi: 10.1080/10826080500514479.
Moore, R. (2002). Can ‘good science’ come from unethical research? Journal of Biological
Education, 36, 170-175. doi: 10.1080/00219266.2002.9655828.
Proctor, R.N. (1997). Cigarette smoking and health promotion in Nazi Germany. Journal of
Epidemiology and Community Health, 51, 208-214. doi: 10.1136/jech.51.2.208.
Proctor, R.N. (1997). The Nazi war on tobacco: Ideology, evidence, and possible cancer
consequences. Bulletin of History and Medicine, 71, 435-488. doi: 10.1353/bhm.
Proctor, R.N. (1999). Why did the Nazis have the world's most aggressive anti-cancer
campaign? Endeavor, 23, 76-79. doi: 10.1016/S0160-9327(99)01209-0.
Proctor, R.N. (1999). The Nazi war on cancer. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
Proctor, R.N. (1999). B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 02:00PM by riverhousebill.

Date: September 26, 2016 06:50AM

RawPracticalist
The Sproutarian Man

Breakfast
- grass juice
- distilled water

Lunch
- sprouted flax seeds
- sprouted chia seeds
- seaweeds

Late afternoon
- distilled water

Dinner
- fermented almonds
- fermented hazel nuts
- green algae

The good old days!!!

I have decided to make some more time to grow the sprouted greens again and also juice them along with having seaweeds. I will report back in about 2 - 3 weeks if l feel better after having these things again. I'll also post pics. I do look forward to having green juices in the mornings again. No matter how busy l get l really should make time to grow the greens.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: October 01, 2016 01:53AM

...And living on mung bean microgreens

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: October 01, 2016 03:35AM

A human being can't properly chew up flax and chia seeds so this is ludicrous. But whatever gets you through the day/Life...

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: October 01, 2016 05:25PM

That's why we have sprouting.
You can then eat them as salads or as juices

Date: October 01, 2016 11:27PM

Initially when contemplating overcoming the massive problem of making raw flax and chia seeds digestible and edible l ran into multiple problems. First was overcoming the bulk problem and then there was the taste problem, and then there was the digestibility problem. I knew these seeds were treasure troves of goodness so l sort to find solutions to make them able to be utilized as staples in a raw diet.

I knew soaking and blending chia was far from satisfactory. Why? The problem was lack of digestibility,poor taste and too much bulk that lowered the nutrition avaiable. Far too difficult to make such a great food a staple in the diet by eating it that way. Blending poorly digestible seeds in water could only add to the problem imo.

When l sprouted the chia l solved many problems of taste and reduced bulk and made the chia more digestable, but there was still the problem of not being convenient and motivating to eat. I knew that for chia to be sustainable it needed to easily consumed as a milk shake for the best convenience. AND l knew that blending in water wasn't ideal either because it could water down the digestive enzymes in the stomach, therefore l knew the liquid in which we blended the seeds needed to be changed,especially for a seed like chia and flax.

After some time l worked out that there are various ways l use to overcome the problem of digestion while maximising taste while making it easy to consume. The key is to sprout it and use fermented water and to blend the chia for 30 seconds to make a nice tasty milkshake out of it in fermented water to maximise digestion and a creamy taste. To not do these steps is really failing to fully utilize the full raw benefits of this great food.

Sprouted flax is best had in small quantities imo and probably best served as a crisp addition to a salad that needs to be chewed well. If it is sprouted and blended in rejuvalic l suggest a ratio of 1 part flax to about 5 parts chia or else the taste goes off. I have found that flax should be had in much more limited quantities.

I have had chia as a staple for years. I have between 3 - 4 cups per week, and when carefully prepared it makes a wonderful sustainable food.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: October 02, 2016 02:52PM

>I knew that blending in water wasn't ideal either because it could water down the digestive enzymes in the stomach

>The key is to sprout it and use fermented water and to blend the chia for 30 seconds to make a nice tasty milkshake out of it in fermented water to maximise digestion and a creamy taste

Yes. Blending has been subject to bad reviews recently but I think blending for 30 seconds or less can yield good results for making salad dressings or milkshakes.

My preferred approach is to put some of the small sprouts through my slow juicer as a grinder using the homogenizing blank, mixing the sprouts with other veggies like carrots, butternut squash for more fiber and to make it easier to go thru the grinder.

This way I do not have to add water. It can get a bit messy but I prefer this approach to blending.

We are still waiting for the best slow speed food grinder the market can offer for those small sprouts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables