Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The Mysterious Braggs...
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 07, 2020 12:22AM

Our world is full of lies, that is the sad part.

In the 1920s TV, radio, and mass communication were taking roots and many who wanted to be noticed and sell products told lies, many claimed to have degrees like PhD they did not have.

Even now TV and mass media commercials are full of lies. Naturally beautiful young men and women will endorse products that have nothing to do with their natural beauty and we know it is not true but we accept it.

We have to dig deeper to find what it js right for ourselves.

Paul Braggs is not different from what we have now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: January 13, 2020 09:33PM

But back to Jack LaLanne's oft-told story, most often by him, of reluctantly being taken to an Oakland lecture by Paul Bragg by his mother due to his extremely poor health. After finding in the Berkeley, Oakland & San Francisco sports pages of Jack's participation in various sports events prior to any of Bragg's lectures---there were 5 or 6 evening lectures that October 1930 week---without seemingly any health problems, I went back a little in time.

Although Jack sometimes appeared on the covers (in pose) of men's muscle magazines of the 1940s-50s, it was difficult to find a personal interview in their text on how he first got into the great condition where he eventually up. But I think I got lucky because I came across the following in the February 1952 issue of "Ironman", one of those magazines. Its title was "Jack La Lanne Champion of Endurance" by David Martin. This was published one year before he started his San Francisco-Bay Area tv exercise show & six years before he went into the national tv market in Los Angeles in 1958 & became a celebrity.

"At 14 years of age Jack weighed only 90 pounds and was very sickly and extremely weak. Being in such poor health, Jack started on an extensive study of diet. Books occupied his time and he read everything he could lay his hands upon that pertained to diet and health. After about a year or more of practicing proper eating & living there was such an improvement in Jack's health that he had great incentive to develop his body physically, such was the inspiration. Today, Jack has practically developed his physical powers to their limits."

Note there is absolutely no mention of any Paul Bragg-Jack LaLanne lecture meet-up that miraculously changed Jack's life even though that magazine's readership would have been aware of Paul Bragg. Whether Jack was actually as sickly and weak as stated, of course, is unknown.

Small correction in my earlier posting. Jack represented the Berkeley YMCA in a 12# weight---not javelin---throwing competition in 1930, when he would have been 15. (He came in third).

Date: March 28, 2020 01:06AM

Tai: I don't know how many dollars in sales are/were made from the Bragg health books vs. its "product line". "Bragg" is, of course, and always was, a privately-held company. I seem to recall, just generally, that its yearly sales was around $100 million, but unknown if this number was "total" or even remotely accurate.

I have been curious if the new owner group also bought the health books' publishing rights, but didn't see one way or other in any current publicity or on its somewhat revised website. However, I recently did see, again on the California Secretary of State's website, that back in February/March of last year, Patricia, or someone on her behalf, filed a new corporation name with them entitled "Patricia Bragg Books, LLC.", with her as the sole shareholder, so it looks like the "books" & "health food" were split in the Bragg Co,'s fairly recent sale. Maybe she had a sentimental attachment to those books. So maybe they will continue---particularly if they were profitable, "fluffy" or not.

Date: June 09, 2020 07:14PM

BTW, I see recently a few photos from the Patricia/Robert Bragg 1955-1956 divorce have been put on the internet. For the one that includes Paul, Patricia & newly ex-husband, Robert, google "Bragg Settlement, Jan. 16 1956 Getty". Since Bragg cut his son out of his Will, I doubt his smiling face lasted much beyond the photo.

Date: June 16, 2020 02:21PM

Date: June 16, 2020 04:07PM

Personally I prefer wine vinegar, though I don't attribute any such nonsense to it. It also has "The Mother", but I hate "her" because "she" keeps clogging up our 40 year old plus vinegar dispenser.

Date: June 17, 2020 04:14AM

Wine vinegar?

Homemade or commercial?

A splash of vinegar may give your weight-loss efforts a small boost. People who added raspberry vinegar or apple cider vinegar to their diets daily for at least 4 weeks slimmed down more than those who didn't get vinegar.

Really?

[www.eatingwell.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 04:15AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: June 17, 2020 05:32AM

Commercial.

As to the "splash of Vinegar story", if that's not the "gold standard of evidence" in the weight loss game, I don't know what is.

Date: June 17, 2020 01:37PM

Why not learn to have it homemade?

I will start learning the techniques.

[www.thespruceeats.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 01:40PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: June 17, 2020 04:42PM

Sounds like a Good Plan---for you. However if I were to make my very own vinegar in my very own kitchen, I'd choose something more exotic Maybe a "peach Vinegar"? The commercial wine ones we buy are quite suitable.

On the vinegar subject, I finally purchased an apple cider vinegar (raw, unfiltered with "Mother"winking smiley from a company in Virginia called "White House since 1908" just to see if I'd like it. OK I guess, but I'm going back to "wine" once the last drop is gone.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: June 17, 2020 05:27PM

The raw vinegar with mother is highly medicinal. Combined with the right herbs, it can be an effective antibiotic; yet it is a substitute for alcohol to extract with and a preservative at the same time. For example, I make lobelia inflata extract with it. I've always used raw apple cider vinegar in herbal preparations. I haven't used it for food much. When I make food, I use fresh lemon.
I learned the hard way that I can't store the raw apple cider vinegar in mason jars with the metal lids for too long when I make herbal extracts, as the metal lid will disintegrate. That's how potent the vinegar is.

Date: August 05, 2020 05:30PM

I see that the new/60th edition of the "Apple Cider Vinegar Miracle Health System" was published on 7/2/2020 & is available for sale for those interested. This seems to be the first book published by Patricia Bragg's new company, "Patricia Bragg Books, LLC" since she sold & split from Bragg Live Foods last year.

I have a copy of the "Thirteenth Printing 1972" booklet, when it was called "Bragg Apple Vinegar System" & published by Health Science & showing only Paul as author. This is the one where he claimed his father was "a splendid farmer" who fed Apple Cider to his "ailing cattle" & that Paul was "the oldest of 16 children". I've often wondered if these strange statements were carried over to further editions--- or dropped. My booklet only contains 31 pages plus covers & cost $1,00; I see that the new 60th edition has 178 pages & cost $9.95---sounds like a bargain.

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: August 05, 2020 07:03PM

This morning I was researching Excitotoxins and lists of food sources of Glutamate. Apple Cider Vinegar and Liquid Aminos are two of them.

[nourishedblessings.com]

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables