Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouted black mung beans
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: February 03, 2016 02:42AM

Certified organic from India

I really didn't think they were going to sprout. I tried one time and they didn't sprout after the usual 24-36 hours, so I figured they were irradiated. Then I tried again and got so busy that I just left them alone. To be honest, I think it took more than two days for only some to sprout. And then it took easily 4 days for them all to sprout.

Sprouted black mung beans
[www.youtube.com]

Sprouted black mung bean tacos (raw vegan)
[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouted black mung beans
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 03, 2016 09:23AM

check this out !! ;SUPER COOL!

[www.youtube.com]

Tai, So ..are these different types of mung beans? I like the idea of making the raw vegan taco from the black mung beans

Looks like the one the lady made went SKY HIGH!

Do the different color mung beans have different abilities as far as how high they grow?. I got the greenish mung beans and am soaking them. How tall will the green mung beans grow?

The lady's video looked like they were yellow mung beans.

SOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOL!

I wonder why they don't get any light. I thought they need to be in a warm place ( light).. no? I'm a sprouting newbie. I sprouted some garbanzo beans recently. Honestly, my garbanzo hummus left much to be desired ... but it was fun experimenting lolsmiling smiley

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 03, 2016 11:57AM

I have never had a problem sprouting any beans from India. Even fenugreek have had an extremely high germination rate. When they are drier they take a little longer to saturate so they take longer to sprout.

Try moth beans for sprouts - they are my favorite. As they are drought resistant they are also excellent for growing in arid areas. Again, in my experience, they have always had a remarkably high germination rate.

Date: February 04, 2016 04:42PM

Hi La Veronique,
You can ask Sproutarian man how he gets long mung bean sprouts. I have the round plastic electric sprouter from Tribest that the Sprout man (now deceased; different from Sproutarian Man) used to make really long sprouts, but then I stopped using it because I don't like plastic.

When I make them in a mason jar, they don't grow as long. Just experiment.

The different colors still have the potential to grow into big plants, so color doesn't make a difference.

Brian Clement says to minimize light when sprouting mung. I often sprout in an opaque glass bowl with a plate on top and they do seem to sprout faster that way.

La V, if your hummus didn't come out good, make sure the tails are long enough on the garbanzos. More lemon juice helps and more herbs like more parsely helps too (blending the parsley with the beans in the food processor or vitamix).

Yes, I tried sprouting moth beans amongst others this winter, but after these black mung beans took so long to sprout, I am going to try again with the others from India. The cold probably is the reason for the long sprouting times.

Date: February 04, 2016 06:25PM

"When they are drier they take a little longer to saturate so they take longer to sprout."

*I should have said when all other factors, such as growing temperatures, are equal.

Date: February 05, 2016 05:18AM

Tai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Certified organic from India
>
> I really didn't think they were going to sprout.
> I tried one time and they didn't sprout after the
> usual 24-36 hours, so I figured they were
> irradiated. Then I tried again and got so busy
> that I just left them alone. To be honest, I
> think it took more than two days for only some to
> sprout. And then it took easily 4 days for them
> all to sprout.
>
> Sprouted black mung beans
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> Sprouted black mung bean tacos (raw vegan)
> [www.youtube.com]

Tai, why are you eating those beans after such a short period of sprouting?? That is definitely not a good idea. You couldn't pay me to eat those. They need a longer sprouting period so they are less starchy and more digestible. I have good science on this.

The sprouting length you used in the video would be more ideal for steamed sprouts, but definitely NOT recommended for raw, especially in large quantities. .

You say in your youtube comment "lentil and mung sprouts are easily digested in a raw state". I would strongly disagree with that because l know people who try eating these raw legumes often have digestive problems, and l used to have digestive problems until l started building up my body with ferments. Sprouted raw legumes have all types of toxins which make them hard to digest for people, and it was for these reasons that Sproutman (now passed away) wisely recommended having only small amounts of raw sprouted legumes.

Brian Clement says that sprouted mung beans are highly digestible, but l would say he is wrong on this because of the numerous people who told me they have digestive issues when eating mung bean sprouts. If a lentil is not sprouted long enough l have been known to have digestive issues also because the starch content is too high. However if one follows Brian's recommendations of digestive enzymes and probiotics they may not have trouble digesting sprouted legumes, so that is why Brian may say they are easily digested.

Tai: are those mung beans giving you pains in the stomach? I bet if you ate 2 cups full they would. Maybe a small amount doesn't matter so much. Better to sprout them longer and convert all that starch into natural plant sugars that makes them more easily digestible.

Also, best to sprout lentils for at least 4 days to eliminate 85% of the lectins otherwise you may be very sorry. Lectins are in bean sprouts, especially legumes that haven't been sprouted for very long, and lectins are the really REALLY bad guys!!! They enlarge the pancreas, mess up your intestinal bacteria, steal your nutrients by holding onto them so you can't digest nutrition so well, and they give you indigestion.

Sprouted legumes are serious business so they must be grown properly when raw and the body must be prepared properly in order to consume for proper benefit.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: February 05, 2016 05:22AM

Mung beans are absolutely much better when grown completely in the dark. They are even better again when grown with a weight sitting on the beans...doing this makes them more juicy and plump so they are much better for eating. Growing them in indirect light makes them tough and fibrous.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: February 05, 2016 08:40AM

TSM:
They are even better again when grown with a weight sitting on the beans...doing this makes them more juicy and plump so they are much better for eating.

tai
this makes sense. this explains how the Sprout man made such juicy bean sprouts in the tribest sprouter.

Tsm
Growing them in indirect light makes them tough and fibrous.

tai
I can attest to that, when you try to grow long tails. I don't restrict light usually and they don't grow nice and plump like that in a clear mason jar.

Date: February 05, 2016 09:10AM

TSM
Tai, why are you eating those beans after such a short period of sprouting??

Tai:
I tried to clarify that it was 4 days of sprouting actually. I am not attached to them that length. I can let them grow longer.

TSM
That is definitely not a good idea. You couldn't pay me to eat those.

Tai
TSM, you are so unique. You are very noble when it comes to food. Actually, I would have paid to buy those tacos I made. They were good. I liked the chewiness of them. they felt good on my teeth. I feel like I need to chew like that more often. The sprouts were surprisingly soft and digestible after 4 days. Normally, I would rinse off the skins, but I like the black color, so I left them. But usually rinsing the skins off makes them even more digestible.

TSM
They need a longer sprouting period so they are less starchy and more digestible. I have good science on this.

Tai:
Ok, great. I am all up for learning this. I think it was Brian Clement who was saying to eat mung bean sprouts after only a few days. I have to revisit what he said.

TSM
Brian Clement says that sprouted mung beans are highly digestible, but l would say he is wrong on this because of the numerous people who told me they have digestive issues when eating mung bean sprouts.

Tai
I have to agree with Brian Clement, in the sense that lentil and mung sprouts are easy to digest compared to any other legume sprout. Raw black bean sprouts (as in cuban or brazilian, etc) make me sick to my stomach. I think the same can be said for raw kidney bean sprouts. Certain spices and herbs can be added to make the sprouted legumes easier on the stomach. Raw sprouts are cooling and the salsa I made is warming, so I didn't feel any issues eating them. In general when I make a legume sprout salad, I mix something a bit spicy and it seems to make it easier on the stomach. But I am not trying to argue or disagree with the numerous people who told you they had issues. All I am saying is that mung and lentil sprouts are easier to digest than other legume sprouts.

TSM
Tai: are those mung beans giving you pains in the stomach? I bet if you ate 2 cups full they would

Tai
No, they didn't give me pains. I will eat two cups and get back to you and see how I feel. Two cups is a lot by the way, for a woman. if I eat two cups, I am going to make a hummus with them. Is that cheating?

TSM
Better to sprout them longer and convert all that starch into natural plant sugars that makes them more easily digestible.

Tai
Okay, I hear you. I will try. On the other hand, sometimes people crave more concentrated foods. Let's see how my stomach reacts to the 2 cups. But if 4 days of sprouting reduces the lectins so much, does 5-6 days reduce the lectins even more?

Thanks for taking the time to share your insights, TSM. I want to grow juicy fat bean sprouts, but I don't want to use my plastic tribest sprouter. Any other ideas?

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: February 05, 2016 03:08PM

I wouldn't eat raw garbanzo if you paid me and most raw beans at that. I think they are very toxic in their raw state. But growing up with Viktoras' guidance I swallowed the raw bean thing hook, line and sinker much to my digestive dismay...

Date: February 05, 2016 04:07PM

I wouldn't eat most beans raw either but mung beans are a exception and are absolutely fine to eat raw. In fact raw mung beans taste and texture are at their best when they have been soaked for 4-6 hours without giving them any chance to sprout at all. Sprouting leaches out their flavor just as it does with other beans, seeds, and nuts.

Date: February 06, 2016 01:53AM

Tai Wrote:

> Raw black
> bean sprouts (as in cuban or brazilian, etc) make
> me sick to my stomach. I think the same can be
> said for raw kidney bean sprouts.

Yes, some of these beans are well known to be excessively high in the toxin phytohaemagglutinin (lectins) and must be avoided raw at all costs. Now sprouting and fermenting would definitely help, but l still get the feeling that some beans really need to be cooked.

Look! I have proper studies, but this will have to do for now.

Phytohaemagglutinin, the presumed toxic agent, is found in many species of beans, but it is in highest concentration in red kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris). The unit of toxin measure is the hemagglutinating unit (hau). Raw kidney beans contain from 20,000 to 70,000 hau, while fully cooked beans contain from 200 to 400 hau. White kidney beans, another variety of Phaseolus vulgaris, contain about one-third the amount of toxin as the red variety; broad beans (Vicia faba) contain 5 to 10% the amount that red kidney beans contain.
[www.fda.gov]

>if I eat two
> cups, I am going to make a hummus with them. Is
> that cheating?

Good question. Why? Because mung beans contain a unique enzyme called `chitinase' which stops the bean from breaking down various components in the beans and makes it less prone to beneficial fermentation despite it's ability to rot. In other words, the usual fermentation process to make it a beneficial bean from this process is greatly limited according to my understanding of the literature. My opinion and understanding is formed from is a very rare piece of science buried deep in the literature deep in the internet that was very hard to find....a simple google search would not find it. So...will the chitinase stop the various indigestible components of the bean sprout from breaking down when made into hummus?....possibly according to the science, so is it cheating?....maybe in some ways it could be, but we can't be sure which ways exactly because we don't know what parts of the bean it inhibits in the fermentation process.

Now...natural fermentation is going to be different from fermentation using a starter IMO, the same goes with high tannin fermented foods with no high phytase ferment starter v's high tannin foods with no starter. One thing l do know is that using high phytase rejuvalic DOES seem to overpower the chitinase effect and allows some degree of fermentation that makes the mung bean sprout more digestible to people who normally can't tolerate such things. THIS is a major finding imo, and it tells my that rejuvalic starters are great for overpowering high tannin and chitinase foods so a more efficient fermentation can take place. I could go on and on, this is fascinating stuff to me. Actually the study of anti-nutrients in legumes sprouts and fermentation is completely fascinating...I have a truck load of studies on all these things and would love to write about bean sprouts all day long.

> But if 4 days of sprouting reduces the lectins so
> much, does 5-6 days reduce the lectins even more?

Yes, generally.

>
> Thanks for taking the time to share your insights,
> TSM. I want to grow juicy fat bean sprouts, but I
> don't want to use my plastic tribest sprouter. Any
> other ideas?

Yes, use a glass jar and put a weighted plate in the bottom of the jar with holes in it and use a draw string (you'll find out why a string is good) and tip those bean jars up-side-down with the weighted plate thingee on top of them and keep in the dark. Personally l don't bother with it because l don't eat bean sprouts these days because l give them a 25 second blend.

Btw, lentil sprouts have phytochemicals which appear to be amongst the most highly absorbable in the plant kingdom. Much more absorbable than seeds and greens. Seeds also have far higher levels of antioxidant phytochemicals compared to legume sprouts. Given our limited science and testings this doesn't mean much, but l am just saying. Anyway, fermentation can change the whole situation imo with some science to back it up.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: February 06, 2016 02:11AM

NuNativs Wrote:
> I wouldn't eat raw garbanzo if you paid me and
> most raw beans at that. I think they are very
> toxic in their raw state.

After reading much chickpea sprout science I have come to the conclusion that chickpeas are not particularly toxic like some beans and grains, but they would contain some moderate levels of lectins. Chickpeas are good in that they have very high levels of starch digesting enzymes (from memory), but the real problem is that they are going to be very low in protein digesting enzymes which means humans are going to have trouble digesting them raw because of the raw protein being hard to digest. There is actually more to the raw chickpea sprout story than l mention here, but l am too busy to check my studies here right now.

Been meaning to grow chickpea grass and drink as juice. But how long does the grass grow?...does it grow as long as green pea shoots or only as short as blue pea shoots? I somehow think it would grow short, so probably not so good for juicing.

Not many suitable foods for sprouting, but seeds are the kings and best by far. Why?...many are fermentable, highest in vitamins and minerals and phytochemicals, fats and enzymes, and many can be used to create good balanced nutrition because of the high level of various minerals. Then again...is balanced nutrition really relevant?...maybe not because humans have different nutrient requirements.

>But growing up with
> Viktoras' guidance I swallowed the raw bean thing
> hook, line and sinker much to my digestive
> dismay...

Ah yes, but it the problem can be largely sorted out if one implements strategies for digesting these beans, but Vik never seemed to have the science in those days to really fully know what he was doing in those days. Vik also mentioned sprouting chickpeas for only about 2 days based on taste alone, but that was a massive mistake to make as a recommendation. He also recommended fermented sprouted soy beans, but that is not a good idea. Why aren't fermented sprouted soy a good idea?...imo it is because that soy is so hybridised that the fiber is extra tough and entwined all throughout the plant and makes it impossible to digest well. Vik used to say it was the high combination of the high alkaline/protein content that made soy hard to digest, but l highly doubt it.

Adzuki beans are also funny things too, very fibrous and not ideal eaten raw either. Broad beans and lima bean sprouts are also high in lectins and very poisoness eaten raw.

The only really suitable regularly available legume sprouts seem to be mung beans and small lentil sprouts.

I once lived mainly on raw sprouted chickpeas and raw sprouted grains...not a good idea. I felt amazing, but l had plenty of wind....would have ended up in malnutrition because those lectins would have messed me up and stole my nutrients and messed up my bacteria levels and body organs. I was so bloated, but l stupidly thought of this as detox lol.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 02:19AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 06, 2016 09:34AM

Raw black bean sprouts (as in cuban or brazilian, etc) make me sick to my stomach. I think the same can be said for raw kidney bean sprouts.

You never want to eat black beans or kidney beans raw. They contain various lectins and other toxins which can lead to severe stomach pain, nasuea and vomiting. Raw black beans and raw kidney beans are poison, not food. Some people can handle them much better than others, but they are never a healthy choice. Better to stick with mung beans, lentils, chickpeas and maybe adzukis.

I'm not sure if fermenting them would make them safely edible, but why bother when you can ferment already edible legumes and make them even more digestible?

Date: February 07, 2016 02:40AM

Suez

<<I have never had a problem sprouting any beans from India. Even fenugreek have had an extremely high germination rate. When they are drier they take a little longer to saturate so they take longer to sprout.

Try moth beans for sprouts - they are my favorite. As they are drought resistant they are also excellent for growing in arid areas. Again, in my experience, they have always had a remarkably high germination rate.>>

Will look up moth beans. First time hearing about it.

Date: February 07, 2016 02:49AM

Tai:

<<Hi La Veronique,
You can ask Sproutarian man how he gets long mung bean sprouts. I have the round plastic electric sprouter from Tribest that the Sprout man (now deceased; different from Sproutarian Man) used to make really long sprouts, but then I stopped using it because I don't like plastic.>>

Good idea to go with glass instead of plastic.

<<When I make them in a mason jar, they don't grow as long. Just experiment.>>

Sometimes I feel that putting it in jars will cause molding because they are so close together and not spaced far apart enough. Then, I just think... why not use apple cider vinegar as a deterrent? What do you think?

The different colors still have the potential to grow into big plants, so color doesn't make a difference.

Brian Clement says to minimize light when sprouting mung. I often sprout in an opaque glass bowl with a plate on top and they do seem to sprout faster that way.

<<La V, if your hummus didn't come out good, make sure the tails are long enough on the garbanzos. More lemon juice helps and more herbs like more parsely helps too (blending the parsley with the beans in the food processor or vitamix).>>

This makes sense. I saw a raw vegan hummus youtube video and the lady grew her garbanzo beans for several days. The tails were quite long. I assume it would taste better. So, does longer tail mean more... what?... sugars/ starch? fats?/
nutrition?

Sproutman:

What do you think of blending the garbanzo beans ( just like hummus)... but then adding probiotics to it as well. So, it would be a sort of fermented hummus? Or... would you just make your own home grown probiotic?... rejuvelac?

I already have probiotics so I don't mind just putting some in there. But, how long can I have the probiotics in the hummus before it gets "weird"? I would imagine there is some sweet spot of time duration that I could ferment the raw hummus. I'm wondering if I should ferment it at room temp or in the fridge.

This is a waaay cool thread!

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: February 11, 2016 08:00PM

For hummus I prefer using zucchini or yellow squash in lieu of sprouted raw chickpeas. But then I never had much luck sprouting chickpeas. They always seemed "off" so I don't sprout them for eating raw anymore.

Date: February 12, 2016 12:58AM

la_veronique Wrote:

> Sproutman:
>
>
> What do you think of blending the garbanzo beans (
> just like hummus)... but then adding probiotics to
> it as well. So, it would be a sort of fermented
> hummus?

Not personally keen on blending the food, but maybe crushing or mincing the chickpea sprouts would be better and then ferment for a shorter period of time than usual seeds because chickpea can rot easily. That will greatly help digestibility by greatly eliminating protein inhibitors and lectins, + the starch will be further broken down. One of the keys is to allow maximum surface area of the chickpeas to ferment because it is a big seed and needs to be done this way.

Is probiotic better? From the point of possibly minimising bad bacteria it could be IF it is used to ferment the chickpea carefully, BUT will the dry probiotic have as many bacterial strands as the living wholefood?....probably not, and science has certainly stated this also. Personally l feel probiotics are lower level than natural living foods used to ferment.

>Or... would you just make your own home
> grown probiotic?... rejuvelac?

Rejuvalic works wonders, but be sure to do it carefully and keep as free from contamination as possible. If l recall correctly, the science seems to say the fermentation process may not be as effective as a natural fermentation whole food (not powdered) method, none-the-less, we need to be careful with contamination issues, but that is not to say that probiotic methods will be contamination free either.

>
> I already have probiotics so I don't mind just
> putting some in there. But, how long can I have
> the probiotics in the hummus before it gets
> "weird"? I would imagine there is some sweet spot
> of time duration that I could ferment the raw
> hummus. I'm wondering if I should ferment it at
> room temp or in the fridge.

Yes there is a sweet spot before the ferments get weird. It is very sensitive to temperitures and time periods, so experiment and find out. Try fermenting the minced chickpeas sprouts for 18 hours and see how it tastes. Then try 24 hours, then try 12 hours and then try 30 hours etc. Take note of the temperiture and time periods. Personally I think that minced chickpeas would only need 12 hours in rejuvalic, but that depends on the temperiture.

Here is an idea...why not soak in wheat and nut rejuvalic so you get a protease,lipase and amylase rich enzyme ferment instead of only an amylase rich formulae. Beef it up! My ferments are always super duper enzyme rich and full of goodness like few others would be....mine are as good as it gets because l mix carb rich foods with protein rich foods and fat rich foods along with high mineral and vitamin rich foods. It certainly beats your average cabbage ferment by MILES!!!

The sprouting and the fermentation are the cornerstone of great things in dietary terms. It is my core focus.

>
> This is a waaay cool thread!

These threads that talk about sprouting and fermentation are always the best threads,and that is why l post in them. smiling smiley Living Food likes the good threads too.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 01:10AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 12, 2016 01:46AM

TSM, how long do you soak lentils? And the optimal sprouting time is 4-5 days? What do you think of fermented foods such as kim chi and sauerkraut? I think sprouted lentils and kim chi would make a nice meal.

Date: February 21, 2016 07:23AM

Sproutman

<<Here is an idea...why not soak in wheat and nut rejuvalic so you get a protease,lipase and amylase rich enzyme ferment instead of only an amylase rich formulae.>>

Oh, very cool idea! What is your wheat n nut rejuvalec recipe? Having this array of enzymes along with the probiotics is a great idea.

Date: February 23, 2016 01:32AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> TSM, how long do you soak lentils?

8 - 12 hours.

>And the optimal sprouting time is 4-5 days?

Until the little rabbit ears start to poke out, no longer.

>What do you think of fermented foods such as kim chi and sauerkraut?

Foods like cabbage based sauerkraut are popular because they are good for producing lots of enzymes and bacteria, but they are still very limited and no way near as good as the grain/seed ferments that are rich in enzymes used to break down starch, fats and proteins. See...many of those famous ferments are stripped down versions of the sprouted fermented seed foods made from grain based rejuvalic. However sauerkraut can be greatly beefed up when sprouted quinoa and sprouted sesame/sunflower are added, in fact it could well be even better than the usual fermented sunflower meals l make. Try it!

I
> think sprouted lentils and kim chi would make a
> nice meal.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: February 23, 2016 01:39AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> Sproutman
>
>
> <>
>
> Oh, very cool idea! What is your wheat n nut
> rejuvalec recipe? Having this array of enzymes
> along with the probiotics is a great idea.

Just use the rejuvalic soak liquid that either poppy, broken/crushed nuts or sunflower/sesame have been soaking in for the last day or two and pour off and use it for the hummus.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: February 26, 2016 03:45AM

thanks sproutmanthumbs down

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables