Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

maple syrup
Posted by: mama2obaj ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:37AM

i keep seeing maple syrup in recipes, i thought maple syrup had the crap boiled out of it?

for that matter, is honey raw?
'scuse my ignorance as i learn.
sarah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: maple syrup
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:41AM

Don't believe everything you read! Ha! ha! Yes. You are correct sir. Boiled like crap!

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 06, 2007 02:28AM

Honey can be raw but is often pasteurised as far as I know.

Raw agave nectar is a good substitute for maple syrup - it's still processed but at lower temperatures.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 06, 2007 02:39AM

ah yes, like 4-5 years ago I saw a recipe for Juliano's book and it was so good, it was like a jar of maple syrup, 1 jar cashew butter and a few cups ground nuts mixed and frozen. It was so good. then I realized, hey, maple syrup was not raw! neither is cashew butter! i was so bummed and have not touched it since. bwah.. but raw yacon syrup is good replacement if you need one.

Some stores carry REALLY RAW HONEY and it is thick and white with honeycomb in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2007 02:40AM by coconutcream.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 07, 2007 03:00AM

you can find truly raw cashew butter but yeah all maple syrup is raw.. the deal is that some raw fooders use it sometimes for an occasional recipe for taste. Plus if you get the dark stuff it still has a decent mineral count intact.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2007 09:04AM

The best raw honey I've tried is from [honeygardens.com]. They also claim to care alot of their bees and bee culture in general and do not practice feeding them sugar water and other cruel practices (as far as I know). They're also somewhat local to you (NorthEast).

Probably not supposed to discuss it here though since it's not technically vegan.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2007 05:59PM

cashews have to be heated to get them out of the shell, truly Raw cashews are very rare indeed.
fyi honey is not vegan and discussion about it might get a better response on another site.
as for sweetener, i have found that date water or date puree adds an incredible amount of sweetness without imparting it's own flavour like raisins do. it works great as a sauce for frozen fruit ice cream, i make it for birthday parties and no one can beleive that it's just raw fruit with date puree, it's awesome!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables