Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Vegan on a Budget - Med/High Fat?
Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: March 20, 2016 04:57PM

Hi guys

I recently needed to cut down on food spending and found my current fairly-high fat raw diet isn't do-able.

To do 80-100% raw, I found I needed sweet or processed treats like raw cakes/truffles/breads/'cheesy' sauces to keep me interested- but now spending the best part of £10 on ingredients just isn't cost effective, lol!

It's still quite cold here at the moment, so have found it's better/cheaper eating non-raw and eating seasonal vegetables (cooked).

How have others coped in same situation? What did your staple raw foods end up being? Is there such a thing as cheap seeds/nuts? I've been buying frozen fruit for smoothies etc but not sure how raw they are).

Any tips appreciated smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Vegan on a Budget - Med/High Fat?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 02, 2016 07:11PM

Bananas make an excellent staple. If you eat enough, you will satisfy your cravings for sweets.

Date: April 11, 2016 03:11PM

Hiya Prana

I do love bananas but still find them a little bit pricey (I also prefer organic which adds to the cost). TBH I think I'm going to have to do raw-till-4 or maybe raw-till-2 depending on my budget, I'm going to see how it goes. In the summer I'll be fine when everything is in season and fruits are abundant, but right now it's a challenge.

Also, I'm trying to be a bit more aware of trying to choose local produce so I'm trying not to get too hooked on delicious exotic fruits sad smiley If I was rich I would live on papaya, banana, durian and young coconut, haha grinning smiley

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: April 11, 2016 10:45PM

hi bluespixie,

One thing I do to bring down the cost of organic produce is I am in a organic food buying coop that buys directly from the organic product distributor here in northern California, Veritable vegetable. There are five of us in the coop, and we have no problem making the $250 minimum order.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: April 12, 2016 05:14AM

Start with getting your head straight. Eating the highest quality, freshest foods and tonic herbs is your BIRTHRIGHT. Once you REAL-ize that, everything will take care of itself. Abundance and bliss is natural...

Date: April 12, 2016 07:34AM

bluespixie
Hi guys

I recently needed to cut down on food spending and found my current fairly-high fat raw diet isn't do-able.

To do 80-100% raw, I found I needed sweet or processed treats like raw cakes/truffles/breads/'cheesy' sauces to keep me interested- but now spending the best part of £10 on ingredients just isn't cost effective, lol!

It's still quite cold here at the moment, so have found it's better/cheaper eating non-raw and eating seasonal vegetables (cooked).

How have others coped in same situation? What did your staple raw foods end up being? Is there such a thing as cheap seeds/nuts? I've been buying frozen fruit for smoothies etc but not sure how raw they are).

Any tips appreciated smiling smiley

A BIG fermented seed sprout meal of pumpkin, sesame and sunflower works wonders. Chia sprout milk shakes also work wonders after a small seaweed salad.

Today l had a large fermented seed sprout meal in the morning and it will last me until dinner time. It's cheap and keeps me satisfied for 9 hours. It's taste is quite satisfying too and leaves you desiring nothing!

Nuts and seeds can be found cheap...far cheaper than fruit because they are more concentrated and less needs to be eaten.

I eat over a cup of seeds everyday, and the fat content is reduced by sprouting and fermenting. Lou Corona is known to have over 2 cups of nuts in a day I believe. When seeds are fermented they are so much easier to consume in higher quantities because you don't get sick of them quickly imo because they are not near as rich as the non sprouted non fermented seeds.

Sprout a cup of chia and blend in fermented rye sprout water, and have with coconut fat. That makes a nice meal too. Love it!

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 07:40AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 12, 2016 01:04PM

Hi Blues Pixie, I have a blog on my site which has loads of info about eating raw on a budget, I've just gone in and updated it - here it is: [rawfoodscotland.co.uk]

TSM - can I ask what kind of fermentation you use with your seed sprout meals please?

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: April 12, 2016 02:53PM

lisa m

TSM - can I ask what kind of fermentation you use with your seed sprout meals please?

Yes. I soak my sprouted seeds in rejuvalic for 1 - 3 days (depends on weather) and then blend for 15 - 20 seconds. Wonderful meals and the backbone of a great raw food vegan diet that l promote.

AND when you add in ample green juices in the morning you have great nutrition levels reached. Sprouted fermented seeds and green juices is the best possible start one could get to the day imo, and when algaes and seaweeds are added it is pure perfection....doesn't get better, and easy to do and satisfying.

If one is really busy they may only want to grow pea shoot greens and grasses and semi regular buckwheat because these things are quick to harvest, and adding in daikon radish microgreens every few days is highly recommended for higher fat meals, and using fenugreek microgreens on trays (if possible in warm weather) is great too. If you have lots of time you may also want to grow the mighty sunflower greens, but imo the grasses are tops.

I am growing heaps of pea shoot greens, barley grass, wheat grass and oat grass all cold season. Quick and easy. When the warm season comes i'll need to get up extra early to harvest all the sunflower greens, but it's worth it!!!

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 02:56PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: April 12, 2016 06:09PM

The Sproutarian Man
lisa m

Yes. I soak my sprouted seeds in rejuvalic for 1 - 3 days (depends on weather) and then blend for 15 - 20 seconds. Wonderful meals and the backbone of a great raw food vegan diet that l promote.

AND when you add in ample green juices in the morning you have great nutrition levels reached. Sprouted fermented seeds and green juices is the best possible start one could get to the day imo, and when algaes and seaweeds are added it is pure perfection....doesn't get better, and easy to do and satisfying.

If one is really busy they may only want to grow pea shoot greens and grasses and semi regular buckwheat because these things are quick to harvest, and adding in daikon radish microgreens every few days is highly recommended for higher fat meals, and using fenugreek microgreens on trays (if possible in warm weather) is great too. If you have lots of time you may also want to grow the mighty sunflower greens, but imo the grasses are tops.

I am growing heaps of pea shoot greens, barley grass, wheat grass and oat grass all cold season. Quick and easy. When the warm season comes i'll need to get up extra early to harvest all the sunflower greens, but it's worth it!!!

Have you ever released step-by-step instructions on how to make rejuvelac? What if you just soaked chia seeds in rejuvelac for a few days, would it take away the need to sprout them? Can you please answer some of the questions I had regarding lentils/chia on your website?

Date: April 12, 2016 10:56PM

jtprindl
Have you ever released step-by-step instructions on how to make rejuvelac?

Scroll down a bit and read the part of fermentation:
[www.thesproutarian.com]

jtprindl
What if you just soaked chia seeds in rejuvelac for a few days, would it take away the need to sprout them?

No, definitely not a good idea. Why?

1). the gel is in the seeds and the meal becomes too bulky because of the gel,and it makes it hard to get enough of the chia in. You need to sprout it on cloth on trays so the gel largely dries up and then add rejuvalic at the last minute so the thinner rejuvalic replaces the thick gel so it is easier to consume.

2). the seeds may not be clean so soaking in rejuvalic may create too much bad bacteria.

3). soaking in rejuvalic tastes not so good and doesn't ferment the seeds because the gel interferes.

Chia definitely needs to be sprouted for proper taste and to reduce bulk. Consuming 9 tablespoons of non sprouted chia is very difficult and unpleasant, but sprouted 9 tablepoons of chia that has been sprouted is a whole different ballgame.

jtprindl
Can you please answer some of the questions I had regarding lentils/chia on your website?

Done!

I take a long time to get back to things now because l have taken extra time for meditation/cultivation, and it has been the most worthwhile thing l have ever done...the benefits have far surpassed my expectations,and my righteous mind and health have surpassed anything l thought humanly possible. The health aspects from meditation/cultivation have far surpassed the effects even from my awesome diet and l am looking and sounding the best l ever have according to various people...I feel strong, and my mind and thinking is so high level and righteous that l am a totally different person and becoming a real goodie goodie of the highest order. My meditation experiences are pretty incredible too, but l have worked extremely hard to earn this state of being.

A friend of mine is also doing Dafa cultivation and his dangerous skin cancers went away in 4 months.

The Chinese Communist Part may spread propaganda about Falun Dafa and call us bad people and rubbish the meditation, but l can now say this is genuine high level cultivation, and in my experience no other meditations l have ever done compare to this. I have raised myself up very quickly and solidly, and my moral character is becoming superb, and l will not argue with others, nor do l hardly ever have any negative thoughts now, and l am feeling so pure that hearing swear words is like Kryptonite to Superman. My meditation is like a divine experience now....completely awesome. My compassion and forbearance is coming out in massive amounts and l am stunned at the changes within me over this past 12 months.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 10:59PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: April 13, 2016 01:26AM

Sunflower greens - the last tray i'll be growing for 6 months until it gets warm again. Not quite ready to harvest, but today is the only time l will have to consume these for the next 2 weeks.

Oat grass - not ready until another 3 - 4 days

Pea shoot greens - not ready for another 4 days when the leaves get really bushy

Got trays and trays of grasses and peas.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: April 13, 2016 09:41PM

Prana
hi bluespixie,

One thing I do to bring down the cost of organic produce is I am in a organic food buying coop that buys directly from the organic product distributor here in northern California, Veritable vegetable. There are five of us in the coop, and we have no problem making the $250 minimum order.

Oh that's a really good idea, thanks smiling smiley Will try and see if there are any raw foodists locally.

Date: April 13, 2016 09:41PM

NuNativs
Start with getting your head straight. Eating the highest quality, freshest foods and tonic herbs is your BIRTHRIGHT. Once you REAL-ize that, everything will take care of itself. Abundance and bliss is natural...

I agree entirely. I haven't been thinking very positively about myself lately sad smiley Good call thumbs down

Date: April 13, 2016 09:44PM

The Sproutarian Man

A BIG fermented seed sprout meal of pumpkin, sesame and sunflower works wonders. Chia sprout milk shakes also work wonders after a small seaweed salad.

Today l had a large fermented seed sprout meal in the morning and it will last me until dinner time. It's cheap and keeps me satisfied for 9 hours. It's taste is quite satisfying too and leaves you desiring nothing!

Sprout a cup of chia and blend in fermented rye sprout water, and have with coconut fat. That makes a nice meal too. Love it!

Thanks TSM smiling smiley How long does the chia take to sprout? How many calories/nutrition in a blended combo like that (chia, sprout water, coco fat)?

Date: April 13, 2016 09:45PM

lisa m
Hi Blues Pixie, I have a blog on my site which has loads of info about eating raw on a budget, I've just gone in and updated it - here it is: [rawfoodscotland.co.uk]

Lovely, thank you Lisa smiling smiley

Date: April 14, 2016 12:25AM

Todays breakfast - will satisfy me all day until dinner time without feeling hungry because it is extremely high quality food prepared in a very unique way and combination for maximum effectiveness.

It may not look great LOL, but it tastes really good.

See...with raw vegan done this way we don't need to eat all day. I can get by on one or two meals per day. For eg, l can do green juices in the morning and then have a big seed meal mid morning and be satisfied all day with an early night in bed. Other people may wish to do some green juices, some fruit, seed meals and then have something at night.

Green river algae - hydrilla/Dulse purple seaweed

Fermented pumpkin seeds (crushed by me) - yum

Fermented sprouted sunflower seeds - yum

Note = when this is blended up it doesn't look near so bad because it makes a nice looking milk drink that is very satisfying.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2016 12:26AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: April 14, 2016 12:48AM

bluespixie

Thanks TSM smiling smiley How long does the chia take to sprout? How many calories/nutrition in a blended combo like that (chia, sprout water, coco fat)?

It take chia roughly 1.5 days to sprout in warm weather, 2 days in mild weather and 3 days to sprout inside during winter. The key is not to sprout it too long...it should be chia with a small tail only.

Possibly over 1,200 calories l would think.

Want to say other things but l must go. Later.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2016 12:50AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: April 14, 2016 12:59PM

The Sproutarian Man

Thanks! Funny, I kind of do it the other way around, I sprout then blend then ferment. I sort of guessed that the increased surface area would facilitate easier fermentation. But I'll try it your way and see how it feels. And I use kefir rather than rejuvelac as I've never really got into rejuvelac that much.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: April 14, 2016 07:20PM

lisa m

Thanks! Funny, I kind of do it the other way around, I sprout then blend then ferment. I sort of guessed that the increased surface area would facilitate easier fermentation. But I'll try it your way and see how it feels. And I use kefir rather than rejuvelac as I've never really got into rejuvelac that much.

With pumpkin l give them a half second blend (no more) and then ferment. I suppose a 1 - 2 second blend for sunflower sprouts wouldn't hurt, but no more!

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: April 15, 2016 02:33AM

"Done!"

Thank you, though I was referring to the Chia/Lentil thread smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables