Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

amino acid question
Posted by: mama2obaj ()
Date: January 06, 2007 12:41PM

What about amino acids. I might be out in left field here, but this is my understanding. Aren't there like 12 amino acids and a "complete protein" has them all-like in red meat. A vegetarian might get theirs from combining beans and rice. How might a raw vegan get them all?

thanks in advance!
sarah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: amino acid question
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:25PM

The first thing is that the idea that you need to get all amino acids in a particular meal is no longer held. So one meal could have some amino acids and another meal the others.

Hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids (that is the ones the body can't make itself).

Seaweds are a good source of protein, plus nuts and seeds.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:42PM

spinach has all nine essential amino acids.(nutritiondata.com).There are nine not twelve essential amino acids.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 06, 2007 01:52PM

Various people say that the best source of protein is in vegetables. I think what they mean, though I think I've never seen it stated clearly, is that you need to get a good variety and a good quantity of vegetables. All the essential amino acids are there in the vegetables, though no vegetable has all of them. Ah, spinach. I didn't know of this. I wonder if spinach is so low in one or more of the essential amino acids that it's not reasonable to consider that it has all of them.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 06, 2007 02:55PM

>no vegetable has all of them

Yes, they do. They are there, but mostly not in the "ideal" proportions for human usability. If you use a wide variety of foods in your diet and eat enough kcals you will probably get enough of all of them. But if you are a mono eater or overly restrictive in other ways, you might come up short in one or two or three (for a fruitarian, usually methionine, cysteine, and/or lysine).

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 06, 2007 03:22PM

I AM NEW AT THIS -MY INFO MAY BE WRONG BUT IF U MIX A NUT AND A GRAIN-DON'T U GET THE AMINO'S U NEED.LIKE SAY A SALAD WITH LENTIL SPROUTS AND NUTS SPRINKLED ON TOP OR A JUICE DRINK WITH SPROUTS AND OTHER THINGS AND A HANDFULL OF NUTS?WHAT IS KCALS AND WHAT IS OMEGA'S.I HAVE JUST TURNED RAW THIS LAST WEEK.I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO RAW FOR 3 OR 4 DAYS NOW.THANK U FOR ANY INFORMATION U CAN SHARE WITH ME.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 06, 2007 11:45PM

brian1cs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> spinach has all nine essential amino
> acids.(nutritiondata.com).

Wow, I never knew that! It's also a got a good balance of all nine. Only thing is that there is only 2.9g of protein per 100g, so you need to eat a lot of it to get your protein from spinach.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: January 07, 2007 02:33PM

Yeah Rob,that's the downside,lol.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 10, 2007 01:05PM

so..
what is the protein daily dose supposed to be, that we are talking about eating lots of spinach..? smiling smiley

I know that some time ago RDA had dropped its' value by 3, or 5 times.. I mean "officials" lowered their recommendations.

.. so maybe We don't need that much anyway..?
What's the official dose nowadays being recommended?

winking smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 10, 2007 05:09PM

taylor, that information was originally written in the book Diet for a Small Planet, the author later apologized for making the erroneous statement. the body has an amino acid pool to draw from, what this means is that if you eat something with a certain kind of amino acid and your body needs others to complete it, your body draws from it's stores. you do still need to eat a variety of foods to makes sure you are getting all of the amino acids but you don't have to eat them at the same meal. in fact, it's often advisable NOT to eat them at the same meal, many foods digest better on their own or with only simple green veg. proteins and starches take different digestive processes, they don't combine well together at all.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 10, 2007 09:51PM

thanks coco-i do have that book and that is where i must of gotten that info from.thanks for setting me straight. i am here to learn.thanks taylor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables