Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Complete Amino acids in Raw diet
Posted by: Denise Candies ()
Date: May 09, 2016 03:28PM

Looking for information of the amounts of amino acids we need from sprouted food. I know it's more digestible protein but is there any studies out there that lower the recommended daily amounts when using sprouted foods? I also know they say not to worry if energy levels are good, but what to do when they're not? I've been a raw foodie for 8 years off and on 5 year stretch of strictly raw. Then back and forth with raw and whole cooked foods. Energy level was low with cooked food also so I can't blame the raw diet. Usually I feel amazing on it. I supplements tons of minerals, enzymes, vitamins,probiotics, minerals in addition to raw food. I like Anne Wigmore style of raw but I look at the protein amounts I get with that and it seems to be so low. And I look at what a cooked vegan has to eat I one day to get all the recommended amino acids and I wonder how am I ever going to do this in the raw world? It's more food than I can eat in a day. And I eat a lot as a raw foodie.Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Complete Amino acids in Raw diet
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 09, 2016 04:53PM

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 10, 2016 12:19AM

fresh
[www.ecologos.org]

"The easiest way to understand what our true needs for protein are is to consider the human baby. Protein is used for construction and maintenance of tissue; it is not used for energy, except under extreme emergency conditions. The human infant is growing new tissue at the most rapid rate of its entire life; therefore, its protein needs are at the maximum of its entire life! What does Nature provide for its protein needs?? Human milk is a liquid with a protein content of ~1%. Yes, 1% of our total diet is enough protein to support the most rapid growth rate, and the highest protein needs of our entire life! Upon reaching adult size, protein intake is necessary only to support maintenance, not additional growth; therefore, adult protein needs are even less! In fact, current RDA's indicate that the adult human needs ~1/3 of the protein of the infant; thus, the adult needs 1/3% of its overall diet as protein. This can be adequately supplied with fruits and vegetables, as shown in the chart below, without resorting to concentrated sources: nuts/seeds, "seed cheese", beans, tofu, miso, "texturized vegetable protein" (TVP), etc."

Human breast milk is also 50-60% fat, primarily saturated fat... so why aren't you eating high-fat?

Date: May 10, 2016 03:22AM

the post was regarding protein.

I wouldn't mind trying to thrive on breast milk - hard to get a consistent supply.

to answer your question that you presumably already know the answer to...

babies need high fat for its Caloric Density

visual acuity is dependent upon getting enough during the period of visual development

above not necessary for adults - different energy needs and physical requirements

and the foods that are available raw to adults are generally not high fat

without modern processing and collection methods for seeds and other high fat items a high fat diet is not possible.

lower fat is more in line with what is available "naturally"

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: May 10, 2016 06:45AM

<<<Human milk is a liquid with a protein content of ~1%.>>>

Just to clarify these numbers, Human Milk is ~1.8% Protein by WEIGHT and ~5% Protein by CALORIES.

Date: May 10, 2016 11:54PM

fresh
the post was regarding protein.

I wouldn't mind trying to thrive on breast milk - hard to get a consistent supply.

to answer your question that you presumably already know the answer to...

babies need high fat for its Caloric Density

visual acuity is dependent upon getting enough during the period of visual development

above not necessary for adults - different energy needs and physical requirements

and the foods that are available raw to adults are generally not high fat

without modern processing and collection methods for seeds and other high fat items a high fat diet is not possible.

lower fat is more in line with what is available "naturally"

I disagree, I think a fruit-based raw food diet is going to be inadequate for the vast majority unless they are eating high amounts of calories. Fruit is also low in various amino acids. I think many raw foodists think they're getting enough protein but aren't even coming close. So many raw foodists look very weak and emaciated.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Evidence that protein requirements have been significantly underestimated - "The indicator amino acid oxidation-based requirement values of 0.93 and 1.2 g protein/kg/day and the reanalysis of existing nitrogen balance studies are significantly higher than current recommendations".

Date: May 11, 2016 04:59AM

>I disagree, I think a fruit-based raw food diet is going to be inadequate for the vast majority unless they are eating high amounts of calories.

a quick example i put in cron for
2000 calories is 35g protein which i think is adequate and higher than the 15 asserted above.

2000 calories is not excessive

> Fruit is also low in various amino acids.

for the example above, 3 aminos were at 70% and the rest over 100% which i think is adequate

once again we are left with one's personal opinion regarding the rda's

>I think many raw foodists think they're getting enough protein but aren't even coming close. So many raw foodists look very weak and emaciated.

could be low bodyfat or low resistance activity (wild animals much more active)
or low protein. hard to determine. we're just guessing ..

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] Evidence that protein requirements have been significantly underestimated - "The indicator amino acid oxidation-based requirement values of 0.93 and 1.2 g protein/kg/day and the reanalysis of existing nitrogen balance studies are significantly higher than current recommendations".[/quote]

Date: May 11, 2016 06:29PM

Here's another way of looking at it...

The human body is made up of primarily minerals and amino acids, and 60% of brain matter is made up of fatty acids. Fruit is relatively low in all of these things, especially nowadays due to hybridization and soils depleted in minerals. Fruit is a good source of some minerals, but severely lacking in essential minerals such as iodine, selenium and zinc... all of which are needed for detoxification and proper thyroid function.

I don't think it's a good idea to base your nutrition around the RDA's unless there is science behind it because they have been proven time and time again to be inadequate, whether that means too high or too low... still inadequate. I'd love to see someone put on lots of strength and muscle on a fruit-based diet only eating roughly 2,000-2,500 calories... even 3,000. Seems highly unlikely to me.

Fruit is awesome, I don't feel nearly as good if I don't include it in my diet. It has its benefits and does them very well, but I don't think supplying sufficient protein is one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 06:34PM by jtprindl.

Date: May 11, 2016 07:52PM

a better question is, Where's Denise???

[www.thefirstsupper.com]

any example I show you, you will say, well, they had muscle beforehand.
but over all those years, if his diet above was deficient in protein he would have shrunk and he did not. whether he gained muscle while on his diet is unknown.

once again you use words like low and deficient, and without any basis for saying so, except that they are low compared to some other food source.

whether fruits and veggies are low or deficient is unknown. appears to me that they are not from my experience and measurements.

Date: May 11, 2016 08:18PM

fresh
a better question is, Where's Denise???

[www.thefirstsupper.com]

any example I show you, you will say, well, they had muscle beforehand.
but over all those years, if his diet above was deficient in protein he would have shrunk and he did not. whether he gained muscle while on his diet is unknown.

once again you use words like low and deficient, and without any basis for saying so, except that they are low compared to some other food source.

whether fruits and veggies are low or deficient is unknown. appears to me that they are not from my experience and measurements.

1 watermelon, 10 mangoes, and 20 bananas is 5500 calories per day... and over 1000 grams of sugar.

Date: May 15, 2016 02:30AM

[rawlivingproof.wordpress.com]

he didn't say he eats all that every day. not sure why he said that on the picture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables