Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is honey healthy? And ethical?
Posted by: iandthou ()
Date: May 12, 2016 06:35AM

For the last few weeks I have cravings for honey. It feels good to eat it, although eating it too much can make me tired and feeling a bit uncomfortable in my body.

Is it healthy to eat honey?

From what I have read, Natural Hygiene considers it unhealthy because it is just plain sugar and predigested, so it is difficult for the body to absorb and does not have much nutritional value. Other perspectives consider it healthy, especially when raw and eaten in moderation, because of the high sugar content. It balances doshas, reduces high blood pressure, reduces risk of cancer, gives good bacteria and enzymes to the body, etc.

What is your understanding of honey? How do you eat it and how often? Do you have any experience or knowledge of how it affects the body?

Also, it doesn't quite go down well with me that honey is food that bees preserve for themselves, to consume in the winter. Taking their food deprives them and upsets a natural cycle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 06:36AM by iandthou.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is honey healthy? And ethical?
Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: May 12, 2016 08:07PM

Can you honey alone until you are full ?

Date: May 13, 2016 01:33AM

No. Why should that be a criterion for whether a food is healthy or not? Animals may eat mono meals, eating one food only for a whole meal, but that does not prove that small quantities of other foods are not good for the body. If I were following that rule I would eat no oil and no nuts.

Date: May 14, 2016 12:15PM

I don't know about oil but you can live on nuts alone.

Date: May 14, 2016 03:02PM

So you don't eat any oil? What are the sources of fat in your diet and what proportion of calories do you get from fat?

Also, I don't think I easily digest a whole meal of nuts. A large plate of walnuts or almonds, even if soaked? I don't think that will be very kind to my digestive system, or most people's. I eat about 10 soaked walnuts a day and that seems enough. That's hardly a meal though. A meal would be some 40 walnuts, perhaps. Can you eat those many and still feel comfortable inside?

Date: May 15, 2016 10:27AM

Some of the foods I eat like avocados and young and matured coconuts have plenty of oils already

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: May 17, 2016 05:42PM

iandthou
So you don't eat any oil? What are the sources of fat in your diet and what proportion of calories do you get from fat?

Also, I don't think I easily digest a whole meal of nuts. A large plate of walnuts or almonds, even if soaked? I don't think that will be very kind to my digestive system, or most people's. I eat about 10 soaked walnuts a day and that seems enough. That's hardly a meal though. A meal would be some 40 walnuts, perhaps. Can you eat those many and still feel comfortable inside?

Are you of the opinion that oils and or nuts are required?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables