Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Freezing bananas!
Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: June 27, 2016 12:08PM

Hi guys

I'm addicted to banana nice-cream right now- and have some questions regarding nutrition loss...

Does the ripeness of the banana this? i.e. if I freeze a starchy banana for 3 days, will the nutrition be different to a frozen spotty banana after the same amount of time?

Does the time in the freezer affect this? i.e. a few hours versus overnight or longer?

Any opinions welcome smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Freezing bananas!
Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: June 27, 2016 01:59PM

Bananas are ok freezing they do not hold a lot water as other fruits. The more water the more damaged by feezing. But fresh unfrozen is always better

Re: Freezing bananas!
Posted by: brome ()
Date: June 27, 2016 02:36PM

If your bananas are cold enough (hard frozen) and protected from the heat of the defrost cycle they will last weeks to years with full nutrition. The lower the temperature the longer they will last. At the lowest setting on my refrigerator the bananas get rock hard and the ice cubes will pop and even explode a bit when placed in water.

The defroster is the big enemy of your bananas and other frozen foods. It melts the frost by blowing hot air thru the freezing compartment. Well packaged foods will survive well, protected by insulating layers of paper and cardboard. Bananas in a plastic bag will be melted by the heat and will degrade. To protect the bananas for long term storage: first just package in a single plastic bag and freeze solid. Then wrap in towels, rags, or newspaper and cover that with another plastic bag. Now the bananas will just experience an average freezing temperature rather than the extremes of heat and cold. The colder settings will also protect against the defrost heat. A chest style freezer without a defrost cycle is also a good solution.

At cryogenic temperatures (liquid nitrogen) bananas would last 1000s of years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables