Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nori
Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: January 06, 2007 06:24PM

hi all,

I would love to get some opinions on nori, as I hear good things about how nourishing it is, yet have read that fish may be accidentally ground up in it. This disturbs me, and when I have tried eating it, all I can taste is a fishiness. I know I will hear 'well, don't eat it if you don't like it', but I think I wouldn't mind it if I knew it really was fish free. I am looking for some 'wrap' options as I transition to raw, and romaine and cabbage leaves sometimes don't cut it for me smiling smiley Any thoughts?

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nori
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 06, 2007 08:18PM

dehydrate some pizzabread and use it as a wrap?

Date: January 06, 2007 08:19PM

I should have mentioned I do not have a dehydrator smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 06, 2007 08:41PM

I love nori and one of my favorite foods to make are raw vegan sushi rolls. I make them a couple times a week. Fish are not ground up in sea vegetables or nori.

Mike

Date: January 06, 2007 08:54PM

if you don't want to use nori sheets there are many other kinds of sea vegetable (fresh and dried) that you could chop up and sprinkle on a wrap. use lettuce and a variety of cabbage leaves as the shell or just make little towers of stuff on slices of cucumber or other veg.
sea veg is high in many minerals, especially iodine. it's terrific for you in moderation.

Date: January 06, 2007 09:15PM

Thanks Mike and Coco,

What I had read was in Shazzie's journal (www.shazzie.com) - that fish and other sea creatures were accidentally harvested with the seaweed, and became a part of what was turned into sheets.

I had just started making them, and this totally stopped me.

I understand I shouldn't buy toasted nori, but was looking for some sort of certified vegan kind. I do like dulse sprinkled on salads.

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: January 06, 2007 09:40PM

Hi ....

my opinion is that in everything we eat, we are accidentally eating other living creatures.....

i can't imagine that the seaweed wrap industry is intentinally adding fish to it.....

that being said... do you like it? do you crave it? i sure do... and so i eat it.... and it meets my need.......

it is noble for you to want to not eat any other living creatures on purpose..... i wonder if they have any that are more handcraft... such as small producers that you could buy from where the weed is hand harvested.......

tiffntwins

Date: January 06, 2007 09:59PM

well, there are many creatures that we eat, breathe in, step on or otherwise squish every day and some of them are too small to see with the naked eye. do you drive a car or use another motorized vehicle? use bee products? keep a pet? those things are all detrimental to a large number of creatures. many insects and small animals are destroyed during food harvesting and cotton, flax and hemp harvesting for fabric.
you could make yourself crazy trying not to hurt other creatures. i think your intention and what you consciously DO is more important.

Date: January 06, 2007 10:31PM

It really is more that I can't stand the smell of fish and taste of it, and when I read about this, quite simply, it grossed me out smiling smiley and I couldn't stop thinking that I was eating fish, and suddenly, it became unappetizing. Thank you for making me feel noble and lofty, though smiling smiley Not making oneself crazy about such things, is a very good point; I was just confused because I am drawn to buy it, then make it and throw it away. Must be something my body really wants in there. I like dulse sprinkled on salads, so I guess I will stick with that. Thank you, wise ones!

Date: January 07, 2007 01:46AM

nori just tastes fishy, there's no way around it, it's the taste of the ocean! stick with sea veg that appeals to you, there are lots of kinds with lots of flavour variations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables