Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Off-Grid Help
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: August 12, 2016 08:08PM

I'm very strongly considering buying a pre-built cabin to go somewhat off-grid... and so I have a relatively inexpensive home that I own. If I were to invest $15-20K, I can get a pretty nice setup.

For energy, my ideas are solar panels and power generators... but when it comes to water, I'm not sure what to do other than collecting rainwater. How can I get a consistent source of water on an off-grid cabin? I would still distill all of my water, use a shower filter, etc., but I don't know where to go in this regard.

ANY and ALL advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off-Grid Help
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: August 13, 2016 12:12AM

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 15, 2016 04:29AM

Depends on where you live jtprindl; but if you get enough rain, catchment is fine. Many people on catchment have gutters and a pipe system going from the roof to a covered tank, a water pump for pumping water from the tank into the house, and a good filter system. Or instead of pumping the water, you could have gravity feed from your tank and carry your water where you use it.

If you have access to a semi-clean water source like a natural spring/stream/river or public spigot, you can haul, boil, and filter it (cheapest way to go). Or some areas have professional water hauling services. You will need a tank.

A well is nice, but expensive for the drilling + pump.

Good luck, and have fun!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 04:36AM by suncloud.

Date: August 21, 2016 11:55PM

jtprindl
I'm very strongly considering buying a pre-built cabin to go somewhat off-grid... and so I have a relatively inexpensive home that I own. If I were to invest $15-20K, I can get a pretty nice setup.

For energy, my ideas are solar panels and power generators... but when it comes to water, I'm not sure what to do other than collecting rainwater. How can I get a consistent source of water on an off-grid cabin? I would still distill all of my water, use a shower filter, etc., but I don't know where to go in this regard.

ANY and ALL advice is GREATLY appreciated!

I'll speak to a member here and ask if she can make some recommendations. Leave it with me.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: August 22, 2016 04:53AM

Just in case you haven't seen this article jtprindle...

[www.offthegridnews.com]

It has some OK tips, especially on drilling a well. The expense will depend on how deep the water is in your area, so the tip to check the state geology office is probably a good one. Also, the driller will have a general idea about your area.

There are of course areas where water depth is extremely variable and unpredictable. You won't want to drill to a depth you can't afford, especially if there's no water there at all. If you haven't yet purchased your property, this might be a consideration, along with the potential for other options: rainwater, access to flowing water, etc.

In areas where the depth is unpredictable, you might (or might not) find a reputable water witch.

(I once met a water witch (small Texas town). She witched the municipal water wells and also private wells throughout the county. She was a registered nurse. Very well-respected. When I asked why witching worked for her and not for other people, she said she didn't know but that she noticed she seemed to have more electricity in her body than most people, and maybe that had something to do with it.)

The article also discusses off-grid water heaters. My husband and I have the old-fashioned kind of solar water heater: a tank on the roof, fed by the pressurized system. We've been off grid for 30 years - typical for where we live.

(I confess though: he puts everything together and does all the maintenance.smiling smiley But we've also lived without any power or any water source to the house, and we've both hauled our share of water - seems like usually uphill).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2016 04:58AM by suncloud.

Date: August 22, 2016 06:15PM

Suggestion: Visit your local solar dealers. They will be familiar with other off-grid water systems in your area, and your solar installation may very well be linked to your water system if you have a water pump.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2016 06:18PM by suncloud.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: August 31, 2016 08:18PM

Thanks TSM and suncloud, I'll have to look into it more.

Date: August 31, 2016 10:40PM

Very welcome jtprindl.

Best wishes!

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: September 17, 2016 12:37PM

I have been living the simple life for a while now. My "showering unit" is a (stainless steel) pressure tank (one can use plastic), the kind use for garden use. Put in correct temperature water, pump and spray. I only use a liter (quart) for a full shower including washing my hair. OK, may need more if one has long hair. I use this unit for the dishes too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables