Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

click pea and soybean question
Posted by: avengine ()
Date: September 09, 2016 06:15PM

I am new to sprout and try out new thing to learn more about what is the right and wrong.
I try soybean just the regular organic one and click pea, (both of them just something I find in my pantry and no harm to try)

soybean after 4 days has very small worm running around the bean
and the click pea smell bad and has small fly inside the container, I wonder why this happen, and what is the logic behind why some seed can sprout but some has totally bad. (the water look yellow and milky)
but my most important question is if this type of seed or bean that is not good for sprout and we eat this, would there be a bad idea?
thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: click pea and soybean question
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: September 11, 2016 04:41AM

avengine wrote:

(both of them just something I find in my pantry and no harm to try)

Tai:
This is the problem. They were probably very old, maybe years old. After a certain amount of time, seeds die and can no longer sprout. Also some seeds are treated in some way, so they can't sprout anyway.

avengine:
soybean after 4 days has very small worm running around the bean
and the click pea smell bad and has small fly inside the container, I wonder why this happen,

Tai:
When you left the seeds in the pantry, the bugs must have gotten into them. The only container that is bug-proof that I have found is a glass mason jar with a two piece metal lid. As soon as you buy seeds from the grocery store, put them immediately into mason jars with the metal lids and THEN put them in the pantry. Bugs usually like to eat the germ of a seed, and thereafter, the seed can't sprout. For example, with wheat germ and almonds, they specifically eat the wheat germ and almond tips.
As far as the small fly inside the container, if it was a fruit fly, it's because there was an opening for it to fly into. If it was not a true fly, but a moth, it's because the moth was already in there. As for why it smelled bad, two reasons: 1) you didn't rinse the seeds enough. You should hydrate them and then rinse twice a day. You shouldn't leave them soaking in water after they have hydrated, otherwise they will rot. 2) If the seeds are dead, they will rot instead of sprouting, if you try to rinse for a few days.

avengine:
what is the logic behind why some seed can sprout but some has totally bad. (the water look yellow and milky)

Tai:
Some seeds were younger and stronger and still alive while other seeds just died (especially if the bugs ate the germ part of the seed). If the seeds were still viable, then only the seeds the bugs partially ate would not be able to sprout. Again, those dead seeds will stink and rot the water eventually. You must separate the living from the dead seeds, unless it is too much work...and then just toss it. I put food like that into my little worm farm.

Avengine:
but my most important question is if this type of seed or bean that is not good for sprout and we eat this, would there be a bad idea?

Tai:
If you eat a raw bean that was just soaked but not sprouted, it is NOT good for you, because of the anti-nutrients. Sprouting reduces antinutrients, and so does cooking, but soaking does not (enough). If you have seeds that have been partially eaten by bugs, I would recommend to give such things to the animal/insect world. If you have legumes (beans, peas, lentils) that are dead and can't sprout but are sanitary (no bugs), then you can cook them, because only with cooking or sprouting (and specialized fermentation) are raw beans edible. When you cook them, you can give them to others who are not raw, if you want to be 100% raw. Some people think it's a sin to cook but others think it's a sin to waste food.

Regarding oily nuts and seeds, if these do not sprout, you can still eat them raw. Lou Corona and the Sproutarian make nut and seed yogurt to make the seeds more digestible. Others just make nut and seed milks. Others make salad dressing.

Regarding starchy seeds that don't sprout like quinoa and amaranth...well, again you are back to the antinutrient issue. Some raw foodists on this forum believe humans shouldn't eat starch like this anyway. The only way to process a starchy seed without cooking is to use things like the amazake rice culture (koji). You can probably get away with rice doing this in a raw way but not legumes. I say probably because the koji culturing process can grow undesirable elements (in my amateur experience), which heat can control or kill (there is a reason they heat the rice initially before adding the koji).
But another way to use grains that don't sprout is to turn them into rejuvelac. The sproutarian man can comment more on this. For rejuvelac, the grains are eventually discarded and not eaten, traditionally speaking.
However, one time I had some kamut that would not sprout. I made rejuvelac with it and then I decided to try to use the fermented wheat to make bread. It worked. IT was like sourdough. You can use this to make raw dry crackers in the dehydrator.

Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:52PM

avengine
I am new to sprout and try out new thing to learn more about what is the right and wrong.

Hi avengine, if you're new to sprouting maybe try sprouting easier sprouts like mung bean, alfalfa and radish. I find the success rate is a lot higher.

Also, maybe describe what your process is - what kind of container you use, how often you change the water, are they getting too much/too little sunlight etc?

Bugs in the sprouts = No no!! smiling smiley

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: September 17, 2016 07:03PM

If you grow your own beans to maturity (hard in the pod in the fall), they are wonderful and so easy to sprout and/or cook. The beans in the bags in the store are usually a couple years old (at best). There is just no comparison.

We eat our hard dry beans at Thanksgiving after harvesting in September and yes, we cook them.

Hope I don't get scolded for revealing that I'm not 100% raw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables