Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who's even raw anymore?
Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: September 12, 2016 12:55PM

Hey guys, I started looking up people I used to read about back when I was really into raw and most of them aren't raw, and some of them I'm not totally convinced are even still vegan.

Can anyone recommend any good raw vegan YouTuber's?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who's even raw anymore?
Date: September 13, 2016 05:11AM

Brian Clement (mainly raw) - low fat

Lou Corona (all raw) - high fat

Gabriel Cousens (all raw) - high fat

All are low fruit.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2016 05:11AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 14, 2016 02:26PM

TheSproutarian - low fat

Date: September 14, 2016 11:56PM

Had a powerful fermented seed paste for breakfast today. Almost 2 cups of sunflower seeds that l sprouted and then fermented for 3 days in quinoa rejuvalic. Very strong and smokey tasting. Will last me all day.

I am medium - high fat, but that is my unique situation. Sprouting and fermenting does lower the fat content of the seeds which allows one to eat lots of seeds without feeling sickly or clogged up. If one ate only soaked seeds one would get sick of the meals quickly and would feel more clogged up....it would be too rich. Fermenting and sprouting make the meals more sustainable over the long term.

Fermented seeds are my main meals. I guess l am a seedarian, sproutarian and fermentarian.

Lou Corona eats heaps of fermented meals too (fermented nuts), but my ferments are done to a much higher level. Pity Lou doesn't do more fermented/sprouted seeds,it would be far better than fermented nuts and coconut.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 15, 2016 03:22PM

Something does not seem to make sense in all of this.

After years of eating raw living healthy foods our body should return to its natural equilibrium and state of normal functioning. At least near that state.

Fermentation should be viewed as a medicine, a short term help to restore equilibrium to the digestive system.

Are we saying that the equilibrium is never restored so we continuously need fermented nuts? Fermented nuts are not growing anywhere in nature.

Fermentation has big issues with Aldehydes.

Raw gurus who should be our models of healthy leaving cannot digest normal raw foods.

And they do not want cooked food either.

No wonder why new comers to the movement leave after few months.

We should tell new comers this:

"Raw food is good for you but no matter how long you stay on this diet
you will never be able to digest it on its own, you will need probiotics,
fermentation....."

I personally have cut down on fermentations, I have removed fermented nuts from my diet. I do drink the liquid from fermentation but at some point I will stop.

My diet is mostly indoor micro greens, wheat and barley grass, and fruits.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 03:29PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 15, 2016 11:19PM

RawPracticalist

After years of eating raw living healthy foods our body should return to its natural equilibrium and state of normal functioning. At least near that state.

??? Who has been saying this? Why would raw food bring our body back to a natural equilibrium? What is a natural equilibrium?

There is little circumstantial evidence to support any so called equilibrium. Why? Because there is ample evidence of raw fooders still having bad tempers, being rude, abusive and getting sick/disease.

RawPracticalist
Fermentation should be viewed as a medicine,

Is this your personal view or someone elses? Why limited it to being medicine?? Why not treat it as a way to get highly digestable and highly bioavailable nutrients!

RawPracticalist
a short term help to restore equilibrium to the digestive system.

Why limited ferments to only this role??

RawPracticalist
Are we saying that the equilibrium is never restored so we continuously need fermented nuts? Fermented nuts are not growing anywhere in nature.

Imo equilibrium goes far beyond food.

RawPracticalist
Fermentation has big issues with Aldehydes.

Yes it does, and that is why l recommend ferments for most people 4 - 5 days per week and drinking plenty of water. The amino acids in nuts and seeds make it far safer than with other ferments in my view because certain amino acids also break down the aldehydes, and this could be why people like Lou and myself do so well when we have ferments pretty much everyday.

I still say for people to limit ferments, but in my unique case l have them everyday because I am able to do o.k doing that.

RawPracticalist
Raw gurus who should be our models of healthy leaving cannot digest normal raw foods.

And they do not want cooked food either.

No wonder why new comers to the movement leave after few months.

Raw gurus largely fail imo because healthy living goes a whole lot deeper than diet and exercise. Expanding our horizons would be a good thing because lifestyle is far more than food and exercise.

RawPracticalist
We should tell new comers this:

"Raw food is good for you but no matter how long you stay on this diet
you will never be able to digest it on its own, you will need probiotics,
fermentation....."

I personally wouldn't go telling them such a thing,lots of factors come into the equation. Simplifying such things is bound to get is caught out for making such statements. Everyone is different so we need to be flexible in our approaches and thinking and try to adapt various things to different people, but experimentation is often the key here, and that is why lifestyle can be an art form. .

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 11:28PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 15, 2016 11:22PM

No matter what, various appropriate raw foods is a good start in a better direction, but there is far more to the health journey than food. Food and exercise can be beginning steps.

I have greatly improved my health recently, yet my diet isn't quite as good at it once was (I am having no greens for the next 12 months....haven't had any in about 6 months). The main reason for my great improvement in health is attitude!!! See...it goes wayyy beyond food.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 11:34PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 15, 2016 11:47PM

What is my main reason for consuming ferments these days? I have them as a staple because l find them to be an easy and sustainable food source...l prefer this food over anything else.

When you are able to sustain on various food you start to forget about the science. I have forgotten about the science in my situation because I realise my requirements are very individual and no science can classify me in a box. I eat according to what helps my body the best, and no science suggesting l need to eat fruit and meat and greens etc is ever going to change that.

Some people eat fruitarian and science says they are doomed. Why? Because science is only in it's infancy of what it understands about the human body. More so, science doesn't fully understand the uniqueness of people and their different dietary requirements. Some people appear to thrive on diets scientifically deficient, where-as others need diets far in excess of what science states. See what l am getting at.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 16, 2016 02:12PM

Well you have always been an inspiration to many on the forum.

Here my main concerns with fermenting sprouted seeds.

In the processing of sprouting, some seeds will not sprout, they will start to spoil and contaminate the batch. Unless you painfully can take them out one by one, they may end up in the ferment contributing to spoiling the ferment. One could say that there are many more healthy sprouting seeds that will counterbalance the few bad ones.

The other point is that it is very difficult to evaluate the quality of the ferment. There is no tool to check the ferment except by human eyes and smell

Seeds are packed with nutrients but they are locked and protected by anti nutrients. The sprouting does help but may not be enough to release the nutrients. It is a good initial step but may not be enough.

That is why they are difficult to digest. Fermenting can make them more digestible but there are too many things that can go wrong during the process.

The cleaner and more efficient approach is just to let nature takes its course by letting the seed grow into a young plant. Simple. Those seeds that could not sprout will not grow into a young plant, they will not be part of the harvesting. They will end up in the soil that will be used for composting for next batch of micro greens.

When you are harvesting those young plant, everything is simple, clean, no surprise from nowhere.

That is why fermented sprouted sunflower seeds have very little value in my house compared to growing sunflower greens.

Fermented sprouted wheat or barley seeds have very little nutritional value to me compared to young green grasses from wheat or barley.

We hear accounts from people doing well on a banana or apple diet. Or on fasting. But these are just short term realizations. And we will read years later, this fruitarian died. Health should be viewed in the long term span.

I do fermenting but not sprouted seeds. I ferment veggies like cabbage or onions or beets. I just drink the fermented water. My digestion still need so work but I have made huge improvement.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2016 02:19PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: September 16, 2016 03:57PM

Raw P,
since you live in the north east, let me ask you some questions
1) how much square feet do you use to grow your microgreens?
2) do your microgreens all stay near a window for light?
3) do you use artifical light for them?
4) how do you regulate temperature and airflow during winter?
5) if you maximized vertical space, what would be the minimum square footage to grow enough microgreens for one person inside the house?

Date: September 17, 2016 12:32AM

Sunflower greens vs Fermented sprouted Sunflower

One can easily see that the greens are fresh, bursting with life, clean

While the fermenting seeds are questionable, decaying

Life needs to be sustained, nourished with life not death.
The greens can survive for weeks, the ferments cannot.

Tai.
On your questions

1) how much square feet do you use to grow your microgreens?
I am not good at measuring square feet but I live alone so I just grow for one person. I have two standing sprouters.

I grow barley grass, sunflowers, peas, lentils, corns, mung beans, ...

2) do your microgreens all stay near a window for light?
yes

3) do you use artifical light for them?
no. The light from the window is enough

4) how do you regulate temperature and airflow during winter?
Normal room temperature.
Strangely the greens grow better in winter than the summer.
The room temperature in the winter is ideal. In the summer it is too hot.
If you can breath and live in your own house, the greens can too.
If you are too hot in your house in the summer, the greens will too.
Remember they are your family members. Just make yourself comfortable and they too will be comfortable.

5) if you maximized vertical space, what would be the minimum square footage to grow enough microgreens for one person inside the house?
I do not count space.
Lets take barley greens for example. One tray of barley greens may last me 3 days so when I start to juice that tray, one is taken from the dark chamber (my stove) to the sprouter by the window, and some seeds are being soaked to grow another tray. You time it so that you have some to juice every day. This depends on how many people in the house, and how much you juice. When I had a large family it took more work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 12:35AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 17, 2016 01:17AM

RawPracticalist
Well you have always been an inspiration to many on the forum.

Here my main concerns with fermenting sprouted seeds.

In the processing of sprouting, some seeds will not sprout, they will start to spoil and contaminate the batch. Unless you painfully can take them out one by one, they may end up in the ferment contributing to spoiling the ferment. One could say that there are many more healthy sprouting seeds that will counterbalance the few bad ones.

Sprout better seeds and mainly concentrate on grains,lentils, mung and seeds. Problem solved. If seeds (sesame etc) don't sprout it is not such a big problem because they are only sprouted for as short period and don't have time to spoil.

RawPracticalist
The other point is that it is very difficult to evaluate the quality of the ferment. There is no tool to check the ferment except by human eyes and smell

I believe this paranoia is overblown. Why? Because ferments have an excellent reputation for improving health of people of average health, and ferments have improved my health also. Just take precautions to be clean and keep the ferments away from sneezing etc.

RawPracticalist
Seeds are packed with nutrients but they are locked and protected by anti nutrients. The sprouting does help but may not be enough to release the nutrients. It is a good initial step but may not be enough

Good science suggests that good gut bacteria can help unlock the nutrients, therefore having regular fermented foods is key imo, AND yes indeed it does appear to work very well for well selected foodstuffs.

RawPracticalist
That is why they are difficult to digest. Fermenting can make them more digestible but there are too many things that can go wrong during the process

Clean preparation and keep away from people to minimise contamination. Despite some bad bacteria that may occur,still lots of benefits. Try to use a nice clean starter also.

RawPracticalist
When you are harvesting those young plant, everything is simple, clean, no surprise from nowhere.

Lets not underestimate the health benefits of fermented foods.

RawPracticalist
That is why fermented sprouted sunflower seeds have very little value in my house compared to growing sunflower greens

I feel you are missing out on many great benefits.

RawPracticalist
Fermented sprouted wheat or barley seeds have very little nutritional value to me compared to young green grasses from wheat or barley

I don't think that is the main argument to be made here. Ferments offer something that grasses could never offer to the health table...they also make the greens more effective on the body (more absorbable).

RawPracticalist
I do fermenting but not sprouted seeds. I ferment veggies like cabbage or onions or beets. I just drink the fermented water. My digestion still need so work but I have made huge improvement.

You are missing out on not fermenting seeds. You are getting mini powerhouses with veggie ferments, but sprouted seed ferments are super duper powerhouses!!!!!

You seem to be selling yourself short on the raw diet IMO for many reasons. You could greatly improve digestion with potent heavy duty seed ferments,l did!

Please don't sell short the benefits of fermented foods. People in third world countries with less hygiene still do well on them. Ordinary human bodies can still handle some bad bacteria....the benefits are more than worth the disadvantages.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 17, 2016 04:54AM

RawPracticalist: I do appreciate the arguments you have made here in this thread. l am glad you made wrote the things you did.

I want to dig much more into this topic one day, but now is not the time. A book on fermentation certainly isn't out of the question, but it will have to wait for the moment.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 18, 2016 04:32AM

Lou Corona is right, cultured foods take the raw food diet to another level.

COCONUT ALMOND YOGURT! ~ LOU CORONA ~ Raw Living Food Recipe
[www.youtube.com]

The eating of nuts and seeds doesn't compare to when they are cultured.

People can argue that nature didn't create things that way blah blah blah, but we know that reality is often different to sound good theories. The truth is that ferments work!

I now do a 1 second blend and let my seeds sit in the blender for 6 hours. Works amazing well.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 04:35AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 18, 2016 06:00AM

TheSproutarian or TheFermentarian

That is the question.

What happened?

We need a name change here.

What a paradigm shift !!!

The living, burgeoning, thriving sprout and micro green suddenly ceased to be our primary nourishment for a decaying ferment.

The Lou Coronos of the world were not really being cured by raw living food.

They never got well enough.

Rawfood is dead and the last rescuing attempt at resurrection is the ferment.

Juicing was our savior, then came blending, then sprouting, then now comes fermentation.

The Obamas and world leaders will be served a ferment at the next state dinner to welcome the new British prime minister.

The President needs to interrupt the press conference and go the toilet right now because the fermented food he ate is pushing things out forcefully.

We need a new ferment Chef at the White House.

My personal experience is that the fermented and blended seeds come out at the other end still undigested in most cases. The fermentation does very little to break down the tough seed.

What is wrong with us humans, animals in the wild thrive on flowers, leaves, fresh fruits.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 06:12AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 18, 2016 07:53AM

Hi Raw Practicalist,
Your diet sounds so amazing and you seemed to heal your body so well and it seems it's utilizing nutrients so well.

I listened to enough Lou Corona talks to know why he recommends the nut/seed yogurts. For people who are trying to be 100% raw, they may not get enough calories from fruits and veggies and greens. Some people have struggled with weight loss on the raw vegan diet. At the same time, some of the people who struggled with weight loss also were unable to digest nuts. SO when they came to Lou, they weren't sure how to continue with strict raw foodism. By introducing 1-2 cups of sprouted nut/seed yogurt into their daily diet, they were able to reach the desired weight they wanted and also put on muscle they were unable to before.

Lou Corona is really into greens including wheatgrass juice. Keep in mind, the way he healed his body initially was through garden greens and weeds and colon cleansing, etc. Lou understands the power of true living foods. He just found that the nut/seed yogurt was able to maintain people's weights. Lou said he would never eat raw nuts, and that he considers that to be on par with cooked food, because both are hard on the digestive system. His belief is that you will spare your own enzyme supply by eating predigested food, like nut yogurt or veggie juice, etc, which he thinks is good for longevity.

I read the Enzyme book by Howell that he recommends. The theory is that our enzyme supply is limited. Therefore, it's not about being unable to digest raw nuts by ourselves, it's about sparing that limited enzyme supply. People either disagree or agree with this. Lou's whole paradigm is built on that, because he recommends massive doses of enzymes. One example is a person who had an allergy to bee stings. HE recommended high doses of amylase, as I recall. After the person took a lot of these enzymes for a long time, one time, this person was stung by a bee. They took a lot of amylase right away and did not suffer from their usual allergic reaction. This is Lou's idea and he claims to be getting results.

NOw if you don't eat nuts or seeds, more power to you, but what would you recommend someone who is too underweight with just fruit and veggies? and fermentation is natural in nature. You just let something sit for some hours.

Like Ann Wigmore would make her seed cheese by blending with rejuvelac and then draining and it would be ready quickly. The same with Lou Corona. He adds his probiotic, blends and it's ready in 4 hours.

Lou Corona had one thing going for him. When I think it was Dr, Klapper or someone similar who did a study on b12 in vegans, they tested a lot of vegans. Lou Corona tested normal for b12 while most vegans tested low. Could this be because of the fermented yogurt he consumed, because certain lactobacillus produces B12.

Raw P wrote:

Tai
Actually remember Lou Corona was cured when he was age 21. HE was dying of asthma. He lived at his mentor's house for 6 months and did colon hydrotherapy and juicing and ate tons of weeds and greens from the garden. It was all raw living food. He knows the power of raw living plants. The yogurt is to help maintain weight and for calories.

Raw P wrote

Tai
I don't think Sproutarian's paradigm shifted. I think his schedule got really busy. I also heard from him that the weather where he lives in AUstralia sometimes is bad for his sprout crops. Also sometimes it's hard to get really good quality viable seed for a good price. (the prices can be very expensive). When I learned about all the challenges he faces, I stopped complaining so much about my hurdles and started to appreciate more and more of my opportunities.

TO be honest Raw P, Sproutarian helped me to move in a better direction towards raw, because I was unhappy for myself with the level of fat that Lou was eating and I could never follow the protocol he gave to me. It didn't feel good long term, so I started researching lower fat options and I found poppy and sesame. I was surprised to find later that Sproutarian found the same two power houses I found. I see that seeds are highly nutritious. Poppy has a lot of calcium not to mention soothing relief for pain and insomnia. Sesame has a lot of minerals. Black sesame has in addition a very healing pigment. Sunflower yogurt has the amazing Vitamin K2! so in addition to calories, these seeds can provide critical nutrition for those who need it.

And don't forget it was ANn Wigmore (not Lou COrona) who first promoted the seed yogurt and some people claimed to get well. And Lou does eat seed yogurt too. I believe I saw the Ann Wigmore people blend up sunflower greens with sunflower seed yogurt and many other things for the energy soup. I knew someone who lived and worked at the Ann Wigmore institute and he said that they NEEDED the blended energy soup or they would have lost too much weight. Juicing greens would not have provided enough calories, especially to the men who were doing heavier labour there. BRian Clement said Ann was thrifty, so she blended the greens to save money, but my friend said it goes beyond that...that it was needed nutrition for them.

Date: September 18, 2016 08:42AM

RawPracticalist
TheSproutarian or TheFermentarian

That is the question.

What happened?

We need a name change here.

I still would prefer to have my green juices, but l am too busy to do that at this moment. I will go back to my sprouted greens as soon as l can spare the time. I am busy from the early hours of the morning until reasonably late at night 7 days per week working on projects.

RawPracticalist
The living, burgeoning, thriving sprout and micro green suddenly ceased to be our primary nourishment for a decaying ferment.

I fully plan to get back to that when l have finished working on a major project.

RawPracticalist

Lou is far from doing things ideally. Lou doesn't do much juicing (he mainly blends greens, and this doesn't heal near so well as lots of juiced greens), does very few sprouts, and blends his foods for ages, and eats too many nuts instead of sprouted seeds, AND does few omega 3 foods. Lou's diet is far from good imo so no wonder he isn't healing like he could be...HE NEEDS MORE GREEN JUICES!!!..and a more balanced diet. His ferments also need great improvement, and there preparation needs improvement. Lou could do heaps of things wayyy better.

RawPracticalist
Rawfood is dead and the last rescuing attempt at resurrection is the ferment.

It is not dead, l just need to live on time saving foods at the moment. I will grow heaps of greens after l finish my work project. I will always love my greens the most.

RawPracticalist
Juicing was our savior, then came blending, then sprouting, then now comes fermentation.

All are good, but juiced sprouted greens and sprouted ferments are the best of all.

RawPracticalist
My personal experience is that the fermented and blended seeds come out at the other end still undigested in most cases. The fermentation does very little to break down the tough seed.

Being able to digest seeds is a process. The body must be built up over time, green juices must also be employed, and the seeds need to be prepared and consumed properly. If you want help with things we can always talk so you can eventually digest those seeds much better.

RawPracticalist
What is wrong with us humans, animals in the wild thrive on flowers, leaves, fresh fruits.

Humans live on all types of different diets for different reasons. I live on my fermented diet for the moment because that is all l have time to do. Humans are different from animals because they can live on all types of different foods. Some humans only live on fruit and no greens (Ann Osbourne for a number of years), some humans live on cooked junk food, others live on vegan food, others live on ferments etc.

In time l do plan to live on fruit in the morning with heaps of sprouted greens and then a large fermented meal for the afternoon, but that will have to wait for now.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 08:49AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 18, 2016 08:59AM

I also promote the seed yogurts to make it far easier for raw food people to be able to stay high raw or 100% raw much more easily. Many people seem to get cravings and struggle with raw at night because they live on high water content foods, but the seed pastes will cover the gap nicely and fill hunger and stop cravings and feed the body really well.

If people can do fruits early in the day with heaps of green sprout juice and follow up later in the day with ferments they should be able to sustain 100% raw without cravings and hunger and sustain weight also (assuming they can live on a vegan diet).

Too many people find being raw very difficult to do because of will power/cravings/hunger and cost, but my diet plans fix this problem. Fermenting the seeds also makes it sustainable and not too rich and fatty.

When l went raw l never wanted to be hungry and have cravings (too hard to deal with), and l rarely ever did.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 18, 2016 02:25PM

You are raising good points.

But let's be consistent across the messages.

Yesterday we praised the value of chia seed sprouts, the fenugreek seed sprouts, and how we could not survive on raw food without them.

Now today these sprouts are forgotten.

As one clever person on this forum wrote, for most men living as single, preparing raw food, or taking care of sprouts take time and it is easier to just push seeds into a blender and eat.

Sprouts need to be watered, taken care of, while a ferment can be left alone for days without human care.

Living on blended seeds alone may raise some serious concerns in the long run.

We are talking about a very acidic food compared to sprouts and micro greens that are alkaline

May be it is not day or night, yin or yan but both, sprouts and ferment can live together.

Date: September 18, 2016 02:42PM

RawPracticalist

Yesterday we praised the value of chia seed sprouts, the fenugreek seed sprouts, and how we could not survive on raw food without them.

Now today these sprouts are forgotten.

The sprouts will never be forgotten,l will always tell people to do green juices algaes seaweeds and ferments.

RawPracticalist
We are talking about a very acidic food compared to sprouts and micro greens that are alkaline

The alkaline measurements exclude many acids,and the acidic foods exclude many acids in their measurements also. So what really is an alkaline food?...I doubt such a thing really exists...I would tend to think all foods would be acid. Why can people eat meat and cooked food all their lives like the long lived people and live healthfully and fine without any bone problems or excess acidity. The whole alkaline/acid food idea is so silly, and even the science is now starting to question Wachman's silly 1968 theory. The body regulates acidity using various mechanisms therefore excess acidity rarely occurs, medical science clearly supports this. Very rarely are the bones uses to buffer excess acidity.

I have 124 pages of studies and notes on the acid/alkaline hoax. Been saving the best stuff up for a book maybe in the future...a tricky subject....still need to get on top of it more.

RawPracticalist
May be it is not day or night, yin or yan but both, sprouts and ferment can live together.

Oh yes, they can.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 02:48PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 19, 2016 09:56AM

TSM wrote:
Lou doesn't do much juicing (he mainly blends greens, and this doesn't heal near so well as lots of juiced greens), does very few sprouts, and blends his foods for ages, and eats too many nuts instead of sprouted seeds, AND does few omega 3 foods. Lou's diet is far from good imo so no wonder he isn't healing like he could be...HE NEEDS MORE GREEN JUICES!!!..and a more balanced diet

Tai
Actually Lou drinks a 40 ounce green juice every morning. That's his signature lemon ginger blast. It is mainly greens, which can include wheatgrass. Lou also drinks gorilla milk, which consists of 50 percent green juice. Also when he is seeing clients, he will order wheatgrass juice and other vegetable juices. It makes it convenient for him to see clients at the health food store, so he can drink fresh juice! He blends herbs for salad dressing, like cilantro, to pour over his salad. But he also juices herbs into his green juice. I don't doubt he gets omega 3 because flax is in all the raw vegan recipes, not mention things like purslane.
But no, he's not like Brian Clement living at Hippocrates with access to sprout juice whenever he wants.

I like that sproutarian man focuses on nutritious seeds versus nuts.

Raw Practicalist, I want to know if and how you compost and how you use the compost for growing microgreens. I know you have traveled, so I wonder if you have an indoor system or just buy soil from a nursery.

Date: September 19, 2016 12:16PM

Are there any studies on the multiplying effect on nutrients from fermenting.

Or does fermenting just make the food more digestible?

There are many studies show how sprouting increase nutrients but none on fermenting.

>Lou's diet is far from good imo so no wonder he isn't healing like he could be
I thought Lou was "The Healthiest man on the planet" ?
What happened to him?

Ingredients for Lou's Ginger Blast
1 peeled lemon
2 Apples
½ to 1 Habanero (full pepper for more advanced)
3 inches Fresh Ginger
3 inches Fresh Turmeric Root (when available)
1 Cucumber
1 Bunch Celery
1 Bunch Cilantro
1 Bunch Parsley (regular or Italian)
1 Handful Fresh Mint

[puradyme.com]

Interesting.

>Actually Lou drinks a 40 ounce green juice every morning

Habanero and ginger? More like a punishment than nutrition.
I would definitely go for more indoor micro greens.
But I have to admit he has many good things in the blast.

My composting is done at home. I have a huge equipment for it. If I am going to work in a state not far from home and I am driving I will take some with me. But when I travel long distance and will stay for months away, I will just look for place where to buy good organic soil. It is just for me alone so if I carry some in the back of my car it last for a good time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 12:18PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 19, 2016 01:45PM

Tai
It is mainly greens, which can include wheatgrass. Lou also drinks gorilla milk, which consists of 50 percent green juice.

I just googled that gorilla milk stuff (almond milk, coconut meat, coconut water and greens) and the combo sounds so nice! The thing is, I'm not sure I could be bothered with the almond milk part- what could I use instead that would be sweet enough to balance the greens?

Date: September 19, 2016 01:56PM

I have spent much of the last decade of my life drinking coffee and caffeinated drinks.

If eating raw isn't fun and exciting (i.e. raw gourmet, raw chocolate smoothies, fancy (expensive) salads, kale chips and juices) then my 'down time' when I'm not eating is almost painful. Like, I know what I COULD be eating/drinking. I'm not even sure it's reversible after so many years of caffeine/sugar. I can't sit in front of a computer for more than a few hours during the day without needing a coffee. I can't be productive without that coffee :/

Maybe this is why so many people have been throwing in the towel on their raw lifestyles. They have a similar 'missing' something they sit around daydreaming about that they eventually give in to.

There was a girl on YouTube who used to be raw, and now she's not. When she gave up raw, she gave up raw hard! It wasn't a case of introducing things like cooked carbs etc, she's binging on as much sugar as possible.

The longtermers who say they're still raw... what kind of background are they/you from in terms of food/drug addictions?

Date: September 19, 2016 04:25PM

Raw P wrote
I thought Lou was "The Healthiest man on the planet" ?
What happened to him

Tai:
You were the one that said this:
" The Lou Coronos of the world were not really being cured by raw living food."
So the sproutarian man must have thought you had inside information and then he made a comment and now there is a rumour.
The truth is that Lou hasn't been sick in years, and he heals quite nicely. Okay, his body isn't perfect, but is anyone's?
Still, there is always room for improvement and you are in a position to make suggestions.

Raw P
Habanero and ginger? More like a punishment than nutrition.

Tai
As I said, he hasn't been sick in years. I would say it's because of the habanero. Any pathogen would get knocked out by that. Look up Richard Schulze one day and find out how he healed his heart using raw nutrition and tons of cayenne. His nickname became professor cayenne. I tried Lou's juice that he personally made in his food class. He doesn't put too much ginger. It's pleasant and not burning. It is not punishment, it's even soothing.
Actually Raw P, everyone in the class loved his juice. Apple, lemon, ginger and a tiny pinch of cayenne is delicious. The newbies drink more apple and he himself barely puts any apple. The newbies use a tiny pinch of cayenne and he uses a whole pepper.
I personally don't put any hot pepper in my juice, but I will put hot pepper in a raw salsa and get it down that way. But I respect Lou for doing that. It's personal preference for how one consumes one's pepper.

Raw P
I would definitely go for more indoor micro greens.

Tai:
I am sure he would too, But it's a recipe everyone can follow by going to the grocery store.

Date: September 19, 2016 06:54PM

Bluepixie:
I just googled that gorilla milk stuff (almond milk, coconut meat, coconut water and greens) and the combo sounds so nice! The thing is, I'm not sure I could be bothered with the almond milk part- what could I use instead that would be sweet enough to balance the greens?

Tai:
Don't you live in the UK? It's hard to answer that.
Since I live in california, I often use fresh raw ripe orange juice to mix with my green juice. I never caught on to gorilla milk. It IS delicious, but I am not active enough to consume so many calories. But I do make almond coconut milk for pouring on my fruit salads. I make mine superquick. I pour through a sieve and skip the milk bag. Too much time. There are bigger particles that come through the sieve but it's neglible.

Bluespixie
The longtermers who say they're still raw... what kind of background are they/you from in terms of food/drug addictions?

Tai:
Food addictions
Lou Corona used to win at eating contests. He would eat more pizza than anyone. When he was dying of asthma, the being of Light who visited him, showed him his past and how when he was a boy, he was so abused by his family that he wanted to die. He actually cried out that he wanted to die. He created a deathwish that eventually played out into him winning those eating contests and developing that tumor and being on the brink of death with asthma.
When Lou saw that, he affirmed his wish to live and negated the deathwish.
The first thing the being made Lou do was to forgive everyone in his past who ever hurt him and he also made Lou love them and bless them. It took Lou months to learn how to do that, but under the guidance of his mentor, he eventually learned to do that.

I don't think it matters what past addictions one has. Whereever one is at, that's where you start from.

Caffeine
Bluespixie, I will tell you my story of caffeine. My tolerance for caffeine has diminished over the years. I was never addicted but there were some drinks that I liked the flavor of like green tea, oolong, and chai, of which I would drink maybe one time a week, or sometimes a few times a week at most. The chinese have some extremely high quality green tea that can sell for $200/lb. The most I ever paid was $70/lb, but friends gave me the unforgettable Huang Shan Maofeng (yellow mountain maofeng green tea). It was like coconut, it was so good. It's night and day from what's sold in stores. The surface tension of the water changes so magically with it and it's so delightful to drink. There is also this wonderful tea ceremony using zi sha (purple clay) tea pots that makes it even more special. My favorite is oolong, the dark deep jade color (also not sold anywhere but CHinese tea shops. Whatever is sold in grocery stores would bear little resemblance to the high quality kind).
My body reached a point this year that my tolerance for caffeine has become so reduced, so low that the last time I had a cup of oolong the night before and then a cup of chai the next day (with raw cacao), I felt so sick with caffeine for two hours. It felt like I had drank 5 cups of coffee. My nerves were buzzing so extremely, and I had to ride it out.
since then, I haven't had tea again, but I did use cacao for a raw vegan recipe. My body also reacted more than usual. Now, instead of thinking of the flavor of cacao, when I look at my cacao, I just cringe. The irritation is more than the enjoyment. So then I got some carob and I am going to try that instead.
I give up on caffeine. I have and am trying to get my body and diet more pure. My body is responding whole heartedly.
FOr me, it's a two fold process, in my heart of hearts I want to be pure. My body has its own intelligence and is facilitating that for me. When my mind and habits want to do something that is bad for me, my body is negating that.

I sincerely never thought cacao was bad. I knew that chocolate was bad because they add sugar or a sweetener. But I always thought cacao was an innocent little bean that grew magically in a jungle twisting on trees next to exotic orchids carrying vanilla beans.
But my body thinks otherwise.

Please don't criticize someone's caffeine use, if they haven't changed their diet
But don't get me wrong. If Americans didn't have their coffee in the morning, they wouldn't have a bowel movement. NO bowel movements means early death, so I would never attack someone's coffee. Coffee is the western saving grace for a diet low in fiber. And green tea is the asian version of coffee with more antioxidants. Yerba Mate is the south american version, with an impressive mineral profile. Of all these drinks, I can tolerate Yerba Mate the most. Erowid has a discussion on why some people tolerate Mate more than green tea, but they still insist it has caffeine, which they call a psychoactive alkaloid.
[erowid.org]
Durianrider claims people can get off coffee by eating fruit in the morning, but that is not a fullproof approach for people with blood sugar problems. However, certainly it does work for a lot of people.

When the body steps in to protect us from ignorance
Lou once told a story of how after a 40 day water fast, he tried to eat some algae, either blue green, E3 live, chlorella or something like that. Every time he put it to his mouth, his hand and arm took it away. He tried it like 3 times, but his arm would not let him put it in his mouth.
I think the more pure we are or want to be, the more we give our body permission to intervene to raise our awareness of what we should and should not consume. I never had Lou's experience, but I have had some similar ones. It goes with our intention and the standard we set for ourselves.

Drug addictions
A client told me how he overcame his heroin addiction. He said he just hit rock bottom. He lost everything and became homeless. When they put him on methadone, it was worse for him. The road to recovery was a long one with baby steps.
People often quit their addictions when they hit rock bottom...when their health fails, when they are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Date: September 19, 2016 09:32PM

Tai

Tai
Actually Lou drinks a 40 ounce green juice every morning. That's his signature lemon ginger blast. It is mainly greens, which can include wheatgrass. Lou also drinks gorilla milk, which consists of 50 percent green juice. Also when he is seeing clients, he will order wheatgrass juice and other vegetable juices. It makes it convenient for him to see clients at the health food store, so he can drink fresh juice! He blends herbs for salad dressing, like cilantro, to pour over his salad. But he also juices herbs into his green juice. I don't doubt he gets omega 3 because flax is in all the raw vegan recipes, not mention things like purslane.
But no, he's not like Brian Clement living at Hippocrates with access to sprout juice whenever he wants.

Thanks for the correction Tai, l am so glad he does the juices. None-the-less, it is a pity he doesn't do more sprout juices, especially microgreen juices. Why? Because those juicers are farrr superior to vegetable juices for two reasons - 1). nutrition 2). no post harvest deterioration.

Vegetables are no way near the nutrition of microgreens,there is no way you can argue around that. Remember this landmark thread:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: September 19, 2016 09:36PM

RawPracticalist
Are there any studies on the multiplying effect on nutrients from fermenting.

Or does fermenting just make the food more digestible?

There are many studies show how sprouting increase nutrients but none on fermenting.

Fermenting greatly increases nutrition in terms of vitamins, enzymes and probably phytochemicals. I also suspect a noticeable in minerals when soaked in rejuvalic because studies have shown a great increase in minerals when seeds are soaked in mineral rich water. Yes, fermentation studies show vast nutrient increases in vitamins especially. Ferments also make the nutrients far more absorbable.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 09:39PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 20, 2016 05:31PM

The Sproutarian Man

Thanks for the correction Tai, l am so glad he does the juices. None-the-less, it is a pity he doesn't do more sprout juices, especially microgreen juices. Why? Because those juicers are farrr superior to vegetable juices for two reasons - 1). nutrition 2). no post harvest deterioration.

Vegetables are no way near the nutrition of microgreens,there is no way you can argue around that. Remember this landmark thread:
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Yes
Nutrition and post harvest deterioration. I could not say it better.

And we have control over the planting and growing process.

Lou's Gorilla milk is a good meal one can eat sometimes but I would not live on that and I am not sure if 24 hours of soaking almonds is long enough time to neutralize the anti nutrients. The raw gurus are also in the business of making money and attracting more people to the movement so the Gorilla milk may help in that direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:32PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 21, 2016 11:24PM

Tai
Bluepixie:

Tai:
Don't you live in the UK? It's hard to answer that.
Since I live in california, I often use fresh raw ripe orange juice to mix with my green juice. I never caught on to gorilla milk. It IS delicious, but I am not active enough to consume so many calories. But I do make almond coconut milk for pouring on my fruit salads. I make mine superquick. I pour through a sieve and skip the milk bag. Too much time. There are bigger particles that come through the sieve but it's neglible.

Bluespixie

Tai:
Food addictions
Lou Corona used to win at eating contests. He would eat more pizza than anyone. When he was dying of asthma, the being of Light who visited him, showed him his past and how when he was a boy, he was so abused by his family that he wanted to die. He actually cried out that he wanted to die. He created a deathwish that eventually played out into him winning those eating contests and developing that tumor and being on the brink of death with asthma.
When Lou saw that, he affirmed his wish to live and negated the deathwish.
The first thing the being made Lou do was to forgive everyone in his past who ever hurt him and he also made Lou love them and bless them. It took Lou months to learn how to do that, but under the guidance of his mentor, he eventually learned to do that.

I don't think it matters what past addictions one has. Whereever one is at, that's where you start from.

Caffeine
Bluespixie, I will tell you my story of caffeine. My tolerance for caffeine has diminished over the years. I was never addicted but there were some drinks that I liked the flavor of like green tea, oolong, and chai, of which I would drink maybe one time a week, or sometimes a few times a week at most. The chinese have some extremely high quality green tea that can sell for $200/lb. The most I ever paid was $70/lb, but friends gave me the unforgettable Huang Shan Maofeng (yellow mountain maofeng green tea). It was like coconut, it was so good. It's night and day from what's sold in stores. The surface tension of the water changes so magically with it and it's so delightful to drink. There is also this wonderful tea ceremony using zi sha (purple clay) tea pots that makes it even more special. My favorite is oolong, the dark deep jade color (also not sold anywhere but CHinese tea shops. Whatever is sold in grocery stores would bear little resemblance to the high quality kind).
My body reached a point this year that my tolerance for caffeine has become so reduced, so low that the last time I had a cup of oolong the night before and then a cup of chai the next day (with raw cacao), I felt so sick with caffeine for two hours. It felt like I had drank 5 cups of coffee. My nerves were buzzing so extremely, and I had to ride it out.
since then, I haven't had tea again, but I did use cacao for a raw vegan recipe. My body also reacted more than usual. Now, instead of thinking of the flavor of cacao, when I look at my cacao, I just cringe. The irritation is more than the enjoyment. So then I got some carob and I am going to try that instead.
I give up on caffeine. I have and am trying to get my body and diet more pure. My body is responding whole heartedly.
FOr me, it's a two fold process, in my heart of hearts I want to be pure. My body has its own intelligence and is facilitating that for me. When my mind and habits want to do something that is bad for me, my body is negating that.

I sincerely never thought cacao was bad. I knew that chocolate was bad because they add sugar or a sweetener. But I always thought cacao was an innocent little bean that grew magically in a jungle twisting on trees next to exotic orchids carrying vanilla beans.
But my body thinks otherwise.

Please don't criticize someone's caffeine use, if they haven't changed their diet
But don't get me wrong. If Americans didn't have their coffee in the morning, they wouldn't have a bowel movement. NO bowel movements means early death, so I would never attack someone's coffee. Coffee is the western saving grace for a diet low in fiber. And green tea is the asian version of coffee with more antioxidants. Yerba Mate is the south american version, with an impressive mineral profile. Of all these drinks, I can tolerate Yerba Mate the most. Erowid has a discussion on why some people tolerate Mate more than green tea, but they still insist it has caffeine, which they call a psychoactive alkaloid.
[erowid.org]
Durianrider claims people can get off coffee by eating fruit in the morning, but that is not a fullproof approach for people with blood sugar problems. However, certainly it does work for a lot of people.

When the body steps in to protect us from ignorance
Lou once told a story of how after a 40 day water fast, he tried to eat some algae, either blue green, E3 live, chlorella or something like that. Every time he put it to his mouth, his hand and arm took it away. He tried it like 3 times, but his arm would not let him put it in his mouth.
I think the more pure we are or want to be, the more we give our body permission to intervene to raise our awareness of what we should and should not consume. I never had Lou's experience, but I have had some similar ones. It goes with our intention and the standard we set for ourselves.

Drug addictions
A client told me how he overcame his heroin addiction. He said he just hit rock bottom. He lost everything and became homeless. When they put him on methadone, it was worse for him. The road to recovery was a long one with baby steps.
People often quit their addictions when they hit rock bottom...when their health fails, when they are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

An amazing post Tai, and great insights about Lou. Always loved how he was guided to avoid the algaes, very very interesting!

www.thesproutarian.com

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables