Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Who's even raw anymore?
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: September 22, 2016 08:02AM

A food not just a med, thousands of years consumed

9 Surprising Benefits Of Kimchi That Will Make You Want To Try It Now
LIFESTYLEBY LIANNE MARTHA MAIQUEZ LAROYA
These benefits of kimchi are helpful to persuade you in finally giving this spicy fermented napa cabbage a try. Kimchi is eaten by Koreans so much this food is often seen in Korean movies and television shows alike. In fact, did you know as a tribute to this vegetable, locals often say “kimchi” instead of “cheese” whenever they have pictures taken?

What is kimchi?
Indeed, this low-fat and high-fiber meal is so famous it’s widely available in Asian grocery stores and health food stores all over the country. But, what exactly is kimchi? Kimchi is a red, fermented cabbage dish (occasionally, with radish) made with a mix of salt, vinegar, garlic, chile peppers and other spices. These ingredients are fermented in a tightly closed jar and are subsequently served with rice, noodles or soups in every Korean’s household. So, why should you let this spicy meal enter your mouth? Here are nine benefits of kimchi you can pass on to your friends:

1. Contains healthy bacteria and probiotics for the overall wellness of your body
Because kimchi is fermented, like yogurt, it contains “healthy bacteria” called lactobacilli that aids in the digestion process of your body. Another amazing by-product of its fermentation process are the probiotics can also fight off various infections in your body.

2. Lowers cholesterol levels
If you’re suffering from high blood pressure or a high cholesterol amount in your blood, don’t fret. The garlic found in kimchi contains allicin and selenium – both of which are helpful in decreasing the cholesterol reserves of the body. In addition, these substances also indirectly help you prevent chances of developing stroke or other cardiovascular diseases of any kind, due to its prevention of plaque build-up in the walls of your arteries.

3. Facilitates healthy body development and clear vision
A 100-gram serving of kimchi has 18% of the daily value of vitamin A, if we consider the 2,000-calorie per day diet. Aside from vitamin A being an antioxidant which can help get rid of free radicals in your body that cause cancer, the benefits of kimchi are not limited to this only. This same vitamin A is significant in developing a healthy body, including in embryos; it’s also helpful in the maintenance of clear and healthy eyesight.

4. Produces radiant skin and shiny hair
Kimchi doesn’t just make your inner beauty shine through – it makes your outer appearance appear excellent as well. Because the selenium found in garlic in kimchi keeps your skin and hair healthy, eating kimchi helps you prevent wrinkles in the long run. Also, selenium is a relevant part of glutathione, a booster that reconstitutes vitamin C and preserves it, thereby making it stronger and more effective in the body.

5. Prevents stomach cancer
Professor Miri Kim of the Food Nutrition Department in Chungnam National University discovered Chinese cabbage and radish found in kimchi contain bio-chemicals such as isocyanate and sulfide helpful in detoxifying heavy metals found in your liver, small intestine and kidney. These bio-chemicals, particularly isocyanate, are studied to be able to prevent stomach cancer as well.

6. Slows down the aging process
Ever wondered why Koreans look young for their age? This is just one of the many benefits of kimchi you can consider: kimchi, after two weeks of being fermented, is rich in anti-oxidants which decrease the rate of aging of the skin. It also inhibits cell oxidation, making you look carefree and relaxed, even though you’re under a lot of stress.

7. Helps you lose weight
150 grams of kimchi contains only 40 calories. But it’s not limited to this – kimchi helps carbohydrate metabolism to aid you in losing weight. Additionally, the capsaicin found in chili peppers in this Korean dish boosts your metabolism and makes you use the excess energy in your body, thereby increasing weight loss.

8. Prevents the occurrence of peptic ulcer
Peptic ulcer is commonly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a Gram-negative bacteria found in the stomach. How can we stop its growth? By eating kimchi. Kimchi contains leuconostoc mensenteroides which produce dextrin, a substance important to stop the growth of H. pylori in your body!

9. Boosts your immunity
Professor Rina Yu of the Food and Nutrition Department in the University of Ulsan found out kimchi causes the immune cells to be more active and the antibodies to be more abundant. Eating a high cholesterol diet can give 55% immune cell activity, a normal diet can give 68% but a high cholesterol diet plus kimchi can give 75%.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 22, 2016 01:09PM

Kimchi is so good and so healthy !!!
So why all of these diseases?
Is it that people do not know about it?
How does something fermented stayed healthy for weeks when sealed in a container?

Stomach cancer rates are high in parts of Asia, especially Korea, and studies do indeed suggest that at least part of the reason may be all the kimchi, miso, and pickled fish people eat in that part of the world. Those foods contain N-nitroso compounds, which are likely carcinogens.
[www.oprah.com]

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: September 23, 2016 03:36AM

A General Theory of Carcinogenesis
David E. Comings
Author Affiliations

A general hypothesis of carcinogenesis is proposed consisting of the following features: (1) It is suggested that all cells possess multiple structural genes (Tr) capable of coding for transforming factors which can release the cell from its normal constraints on growth. (2) In adult cells they are suppressed by diploid pairs of regulatory genes and some of the transforming genes are tissue specific. (3) The Tr loci are temporarily activated at some stage of embryogenesis and possibly during some stage of the cell cycle in adult cells. (4) Spontaneous tumors, or tumors induced by chemicals or radiation, arise as the result of a double mutation of any set of regulatory genes releasing the suppression of the corresponding Tr genes and leading to transformation of the cell. (5) Autosomal dominant hereditary tumors, such as retinoblastoma, are the result of germ-line inheritance of one inactive regulatory gene. Subsequent somatic mutation of the other regulatory gene leads to tumor formation. (6) The Philadelphia chromosome produces inactivation of one regulatory gene by position effect. A somatic mutation of the other leads to chronic myelogenous leukemia. (7) Oncogenic viruses evolved by the extraction of host Tr genes with their conversion to viral transforming genes. As a result, in addition to the above mechanisms, tumors may also be produced by the reintroduction of these genes into susceptible host cells.

genes viruses

Studys also say every living person on this planet has exsposer to un natural radiation, Have you any idea how many nuclear bomb test conducted world wide? most At test site Mercury in the state of Nevada. Above ground testing besides below?
It was known from day one every nuke power plant would leak. Now if we add chemical exsposers world wide what kind of coctail have we brewed?
Also the oceans have been are toilet for a long time. I think we will have a hard time to figure exactly what is the cause of many cancers with so much dumping on mother earth. bottom line one water, one air, one earth
Kimichi is high in sodiums that cant be denied.
I am surprised the rate of cancers are not higher with all we have done to this planet. Monsanto, Nuclear industrys chwmical waste lands, Military inustrail complex
love canals world wide. shame on use humans. Can we do better for generations to come? I pray everyday and also work for a sane envirmental future, may the gods and brain power help us all

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: September 23, 2016 04:40AM

Raw P wrote:
Kimchi is so good and so healthy !!!
So why all of these diseases?

Tai
Kimchi doesn't have to have much salt at all. The way I make it is to just add a small amount of miso and no salt. The miso is enough to shrink it down. When I make it, people usually want to eat it the same day (after about 6 hours) or the second day at the latest, because it's so good. When it's not too salty or spicy, it can be enjoyable. THe nice part about this kimchi is that it reduces a massive salad made with very fluffy napa cabbage down to a condensed smaller salad that's easy to chew.

Date: September 23, 2016 02:20PM

Thanks Tai for the details, you have a simpler approach.

I did not know that miso can shrink and ferment that in few hours.

That is good.

Here is a video on another approach to make Kimchi

This does not seem to be healthy at all.

[www.youtube.com]

All of those unhealthy ingredients like salt and sugar becomes good for us through fermentation?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2016 02:33PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: October 06, 2016 01:53PM

Tai
Bluespixie
The longtermers who say they're still raw... what kind of background are they/you from in terms of food/drug addictions?

Tai:
Food addictions
Lou Corona used to win at eating contests. He would eat more pizza than anyone. When he was dying of asthma, the being of Light who visited him, showed him his past and how when he was a boy, he was so abused by his family that he wanted to die. He actually cried out that he wanted to die. He created a deathwish that eventually played out into him winning those eating contests and developing that tumor and being on the brink of death with asthma.
When Lou saw that, he affirmed his wish to live and negated the deathwish.
The first thing the being made Lou do was to forgive everyone in his past who ever hurt him and he also made Lou love them and bless them. It took Lou months to learn how to do that, but under the guidance of his mentor, he eventually learned to do that.

I don't think it matters what past addictions one has. Whereever one is at, that's where you start from.

Caffeine
Bluespixie, I will tell you my story of caffeine. My tolerance for caffeine has diminished over the years. I was never addicted but there were some drinks that I liked the flavor of like green tea, oolong, and chai, of which I would drink maybe one time a week, or sometimes a few times a week at most. The chinese have some extremely high quality green tea that can sell for $200/lb. The most I ever paid was $70/lb, but friends gave me the unforgettable Huang Shan Maofeng (yellow mountain maofeng green tea). It was like coconut, it was so good. It's night and day from what's sold in stores. The surface tension of the water changes so magically with it and it's so delightful to drink. There is also this wonderful tea ceremony using zi sha (purple clay) tea pots that makes it even more special. My favorite is oolong, the dark deep jade color (also not sold anywhere but CHinese tea shops. Whatever is sold in grocery stores would bear little resemblance to the high quality kind).
My body reached a point this year that my tolerance for caffeine has become so reduced, so low that the last time I had a cup of oolong the night before and then a cup of chai the next day (with raw cacao), I felt so sick with caffeine for two hours. It felt like I had drank 5 cups of coffee. My nerves were buzzing so extremely, and I had to ride it out.
since then, I haven't had tea again, but I did use cacao for a raw vegan recipe. My body also reacted more than usual. Now, instead of thinking of the flavor of cacao, when I look at my cacao, I just cringe. The irritation is more than the enjoyment. So then I got some carob and I am going to try that instead.
I give up on caffeine. I have and am trying to get my body and diet more pure. My body is responding whole heartedly.
FOr me, it's a two fold process, in my heart of hearts I want to be pure. My body has its own intelligence and is facilitating that for me. When my mind and habits want to do something that is bad for me, my body is negating that.

I sincerely never thought cacao was bad. I knew that chocolate was bad because they add sugar or a sweetener. But I always thought cacao was an innocent little bean that grew magically in a jungle twisting on trees next to exotic orchids carrying vanilla beans.
But my body thinks otherwise.

Please don't criticize someone's caffeine use, if they haven't changed their diet
But don't get me wrong. If Americans didn't have their coffee in the morning, they wouldn't have a bowel movement. NO bowel movements means early death, so I would never attack someone's coffee. Coffee is the western saving grace for a diet low in fiber. And green tea is the asian version of coffee with more antioxidants. Yerba Mate is the south american version, with an impressive mineral profile. Of all these drinks, I can tolerate Yerba Mate the most. Erowid has a discussion on why some people tolerate Mate more than green tea, but they still insist it has caffeine, which they call a psychoactive alkaloid.
[erowid.org]
Durianrider claims people can get off coffee by eating fruit in the morning, but that is not a fullproof approach for people with blood sugar problems. However, certainly it does work for a lot of people.

When the body steps in to protect us from ignorance
Lou once told a story of how after a 40 day water fast, he tried to eat some algae, either blue green, E3 live, chlorella or something like that. Every time he put it to his mouth, his hand and arm took it away. He tried it like 3 times, but his arm would not let him put it in his mouth.
I think the more pure we are or want to be, the more we give our body permission to intervene to raise our awareness of what we should and should not consume. I never had Lou's experience, but I have had some similar ones. It goes with our intention and the standard we set for ourselves.

Drug addictions
A client told me how he overcame his heroin addiction. He said he just hit rock bottom. He lost everything and became homeless. When they put him on methadone, it was worse for him. The road to recovery was a long one with baby steps.
People often quit their addictions when they hit rock bottom...when their health fails, when they are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Hi Tai, thank you for the lovely detailed response.

Really interesting hearing about your experiences with caffeine, especially at the ceremony aspect of the tea. I was given a coffee maker for xmas and part of the joy is the 'ceremonial' aspect of it- grinding the beans, frothing the milk etc. Maybe this is what I am enjoying especially at the moment. I'm not working, and the only real 'order' to my day is the ceremony of the coffee I am making. Food for thought, definitely. smiling smiley

I've been eating less chocolate lately and my skin looks a lot better. Smoother, plumper. A few months ago I was massively lucky to find carob pods in my nearby grocery store and they were amazing- moreish without being sickly or sugary.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 06, 2016 11:33PM

"Lou Corona used to win at eating contests. He would eat more pizza than anyone. When he was dying of asthma, the being of Light who visited him, showed him his past and how when he was a boy, he was so abused by his family that he wanted to die. He actually cried out that he wanted to die. He created a deathwish that eventually played out into him winning those eating contests and developing that tumor and being on the brink of death with asthma."

I think there is something wrong with competitive eaters. Take Furious Pete, for example. "Had" cancer twice and thinks he's free of it now because the external symptoms have been cut-burned-poisoned out of existence.

On October 1, 2014, Pete announced on his YouTube channel that he had recently undergone surgery for testicular cancer. On November 29, 2014 Pete revealed test result which declared him free of cancer.[15] However, on August 11, 2015 Pete informed his viewers that his cancer had returned, and that he would be undergoing further treatment.[16]

On November 25, 2015, Pete announced that he was again cancer-free.

[www.youtube.com]

Betcha he does not see any connection between his body-abuse and his cancer. Would you say he has a death wish, like Lou Corona did?

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: October 07, 2016 02:30AM

My husband was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1982 at age 54. He had tumor removal, followed by radiation for 6 weeks. Never had a recurrence of cancer except for a basal cell cancer on his face, and that's been over 10 years ago. He had his 88th birthday on May 30. Eats anything & everything---nothing seems to affect him. Even has every one of his teeth, with gums in great shape, which our dentist says is somewhat rare at that age. Never smoked though.

Date: October 08, 2016 12:54AM

Happy 88th birthday to your husband. He'll probably have a lot more. Read on.

Your husband has what in tradional medicine is referred to as a strong constitution. This is something you inherit from your ancestors. It allows you to abuse your body (to a degree) and still survive a long time. In Chinese medicine they say you have an abundance of prenatal "jing". In modern terms, it could mean that your ancestors consumed an abundance of minerals and other necessary nutrients.

People who have this kind of build, the gift of the ancestors, unconsciously understand they are tough and so don't take care of themselves, whereas those born with a not-so-hot constitution tend to take better care of themselves, because they understand at some level that they their bodies can take only so much.

Yin & yang, as they say.

Date: October 08, 2016 02:30AM

>Your husband has what in tradional medicine is referred to as a strong constitution. This is something you inherit from your ancestors

Interesting...

But could it be that it is all about our own making...

Could it be that we inherit the ancestors we deserve, that our actions today will earn us in the next life the ancestors who will help us continue on the path we have freely chosen in this life.

If we abuse our body now, we cannot inherit from a strong constitution in the next life. We have to earn our grades.

Life is a continuum where we earn our future. It would be so unfair otherwise.

"Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 02:40AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 08, 2016 03:04PM

"Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them."

That's from the bible, right?

I think there's different interpretations of this possible. We have to stop looking at spirit and matter as two different things. Not saying you are doing this, only that Christians seem to do so.

Date: October 10, 2016 03:48PM

Yes from the bible Matthew 13:12

But applicable to all levels of life whether spiritual or physical.

Those athletes who train more frequently will have more skills than those who do not.

Muscles that are not being trained and used will atrophy loose the agility they had.

Those students who do not study and put into practice what they have learned will loose the knowledge they had acquired.

The second law of thermodynamics:

"The level of disorder in the universe is steadily increasing. Systems tend to move from ordered behavior to more random behavior."

This means you will lose the order you have, the gain you made unless you apply discipline, control, practice.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 29, 2016 01:36AM

There's a new thing shaking up the raw food community, and it's amazing: it's the raw vegan ketogenic diet. For some of us, it's the answer, the ideal, the thing we've been searching for. I have tons more energy and vitality eating this way than I had in my 25+ years as a high carb/lowfat raw vegan, I feel much better than I did on the low carb diet I tried for a few years, and after several months now of trying EVERY natural healing protocol I could find to heal the arthritis in my hips and knees (I'm 67), voila!, within 3 days of switching to raw vegan ketogenic the miracle was clearly happening. Every day I'm experiencing significantly less pain and more range of motion and flexibility. I KNOW that I will fully heal. There is no doubt. I'm so filled with joy and energy, and my body is detoxifying and rejuvenating in such a wonderful way that I don't need much sleep and I'm just buzzing all the time (in a good way).
I know this is a low fat/high carb raw vegan forum, so I won't be posting about this again or engaging in any debate about it. But someone asked the question, and I just wanted to share this avenue for exploration, in case it might help someone else. There are a few YouTube videos, a website, and at least a couple Facebook pages about it. Here's the one I tend to go to the most. I think it was started by Matt Monarch:
[www.facebook.com] Also this one:
[www.facebook.com]

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2016 01:37AM by kwan.

Date: October 29, 2016 06:19AM

kwan
There's a new thing shaking up the raw food community, and it's amazing: it's the raw vegan ketogenic diet. For some of us, it's the answer, the ideal, the thing we've been searching for. I have tons more energy and vitality eating this way than I had in my 25+ years as a high carb/lowfat raw vegan, I feel much better than I did on the low carb diet I tried for a few years, and after several months now of trying EVERY natural healing protocol I could find to heal the arthritis in my hips and knees (I'm 67), voila!, within 3 days of switching to raw vegan ketogenic the miracle was clearly happening. Every day I'm experiencing significantly less pain and more range of motion and flexibility. I KNOW that I will fully heal. There is no doubt. I'm so filled with joy and energy, and my body is detoxifying and rejuvenating in such a wonderful way that I don't need much sleep and I'm just buzzing all the time (in a good way).
I know this is a low fat/high carb raw vegan forum, so I won't be posting about this again or engaging in any debate about it. But someone asked the question, and I just wanted to share this avenue for exploration, in case it might help someone else. There are a few YouTube videos, a website, and at least a couple Facebook pages about it. Here's the one I tend to go to the most. I think it was started by Matt Monarch:
[www.facebook.com] Also this one:
[www.facebook.com]

I really enjoyed reading you post, and l do really enjoy reading about higher fat higher protein ketogenic diets.

Yes we must really try and find what works for us. The tradition for raw vegans is low fat high carb, but that doesn't seem to work too well for many people. Gabriel Coisens claims the higher fat higher protein diet works well for many raw vegans. I tend to agree that it works well and gives good sustained energy and keeps hunger and cravings away. I personally wouldn't do a ketogenic diet because I would find it very limiting and extreme, but if people do well on the diet l think it is great. Gabriel's program is not ketogenic.

What are you eating to be on a ketogenic diet? It seems very difficult to be able to do that on a vegan diet. My understanding is that 100 grams or less of carbs is a ketogenic diet, so to do this one would have to go very high fat and eat mainly nuts/seeds (but still in limited amounts) so the carb limit isn't passed, true?

It is good that people are more open to exploring different diets to see what works best for them. I had intentions of doing a ketogenic diet, but l knew quickly that it wouldn't work for me and l would be miserable, however l always stay on a ketogenic diet until about 6 pm each day....l eat in the morning and am satisfied all day without the need to eat until night time.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: October 29, 2016 10:26AM

>What are you eating to be on a ketogenic diet? It seems very difficult to be able to do that on a vegan diet.

Correct. It is a diet that seems to be much better than the Standard American Diet but difficult to do on a raw vegan diet. It is a big win to reduce carbs especially cooked carbs.

When your are not eating animal fat, you have to rely on nuts, yet nuts are difficult to digest and could not be a permanent source of fat.

Not long ago there was:
The fruitarian diet
Green smoothies revolution (greens and fruits)
30 bananas a day
The confusion continues

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 30, 2016 09:51AM

Sproutman

<<I had intentions of doing a ketogenic diet, but l knew quickly that it wouldn't work for me and l would be miserable, however l always stay on a ketogenic diet until about 6 pm each day....l eat in the morning and am satisfied all day without the need to eat until night time.>>

I'm kind of confused. You say that you would be miserable on ketogenic diet but then you do it every day til 6 PM? Did I miss something here?

Also, what do you eat on a ketogenic diet? For the fats? Protein? Carbohydrate?

My understanding is that the ratio is High fats, medium protein, low carbohydrates.

Kwan

<<I know this is a low fat/high carb raw vegan forum, so I won't be posting about this again or engaging in any debate about it>>

That is not true. The name of this forum is " Living and Raw Foods"

NOT " 80/10/10" That would be the 30 bananas a day forum.

Care to share your ketogenic diet? Sounds like you are on a super exciting journey that is working for you. Congratulations!

Date: October 30, 2016 12:35PM

The ketogenic is a huge improvement over what most are eating.

Eating fruits and sugar on cooked and fried carbs is bad.

The diet is correcting a problem that did not need to exist in the first place.

But when you are on sprouts and micro greens diet, going ketogenic is not a necessity in my opinion.

My diet is mostly micro greens but I am fine eating raw fruits, eating raw carrots, and other root vegetables.

Date: October 30, 2016 10:59PM

la_veronique
Sproutman

<<I had intentions of doing a ketogenic diet, but l knew quickly that it wouldn't work for me and l would be miserable, however l always stay on a ketogenic diet until about 6 pm each day....l eat in the morning and am satisfied all day without the need to eat until night time.>>

I'm kind of confused. You say that you would be miserable on ketogenic diet but then you do it every day til 6 PM? Did I miss something here?

Oh hang on, l stated things incorrectly. I may have been close to doing a ketogenic diet in the daytime up until recent months, but not quite because my carbs from the sprouted seeds/greens would still be quite notable because of the amount of seeds l eat. My seed quantities have increased in recent months so my once borderline ketogenic diet would be no more because my gross carb amounts would now exceed the threshold for a ketosis diet.

I do well on reasonably low carb up until evening, but if l continued eating that way during dinner l feel l would be limiting my diet too much. None-the-less l still eat a very high amino acid diet with great availability to make protein probably more than other vegan diets by quite a noticeable margin. Eg, l have things like heaps of sprouted fermented sunflower/pumpkin seeds (very high NPU ratio and high protein value) and sunflower greens and lentil sprouts etc, so my protein availability is very very high, but much of the protein is broken down into amino acids via the sprouting and fermentation process so l don't get much of the toxic byproducts of high protein consumption.

Also, what do you eat on a ketogenic diet? For the fats? Protein? Carbohydrate?

Seeds, or chia with coconut fat.

My understanding is that the ratio is High fats, medium protein, low carbohydrates

It goes further than such a simple understanding like that. My understanding is that gross amounts for calories and carbs is vital too. For eg, if one eats more calories from nuts/seeds their diet will cease to be ketogenic at some point because the amount of carbs in the diet would naturally increase regardless of the ratios involved so ketosis would cease.

Kwan

<<I know this is a low fat/high carb raw vegan forum, so I won't be posting about this again or engaging in any debate about it>>

That is not true. The name of this forum is " Living and Raw Foods"

NOT " 80/10/10" That would be the 30 bananas a day forum.

Care to share your ketogenic diet? Sounds like you are on a super exciting journey that is working for you. Congratulations![/quote]

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: October 30, 2016 11:21PM

My diet is:

- extremely high amino acid availability
- extremely high fatty acid availability
- moderate carb

, but the extremely high fatty acid/amino acid diet does not equate to a extremely high protein and extremely high fat diet because the sprouting and fermentation of much of my diet breaks down moderate amounts of the fats and protein, therefore my diet would be high protein and high fat. The sprouting and fermentation also would lower calories moderately.

I find that type of diet works well for me. I do well on higher fat and higher protein, but not so well on higher carbs.

I really feel at peace with my diet and it feels so natural to eat this way, and l have done so for years. I don't feel the need to play around with my diet to try and get better results, this diet l am doing is good.

BUT if l didn't sprout and ferment various seeds my diet would be off because things would taste too rich and fatty. Notice how Lou also ferments his fatty foods...it makes the diet more sustainable. Eating heaps on non fermented or sprouted fatty seeds would be too unsustainable IMO....fermenting makes all the difference.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: October 31, 2016 02:04AM

Each one of us is different and the key is to find what works for a particular person.

Compared to a year ago, I eat very few seeds.

For me, they can call their new diet any name they want.

Nothing will stop me from eating my juicy mangoes and watermelons.

Fruits are one of the finest delicacies of life.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 02:14AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 31, 2016 04:22AM

For me it really works. I just naturally seem to be able to digest plant fats and nuts really easily, whereas high carb foods, whether cooked or raw, and no matter how well combined (I'm been practicing proper food combining since I was about 28 years old) just seem to sit in my intestines and create fermentation and discomfort. I actually LOVE this diet. There are so many nuts, seeds, nut and seed butters, plus plant fats, including avocadoes and coconut oil, that are incredibly satisfying (a little goes a LONG way and I'm hardly ever hungry). And I have a huge list of low glycemic vegetables to choose from, but I tend to have favorites I use over and over: red pepper, cherry tomatoes, chopped zucchini or zucchini 'noodles', micro-greens, parsley, spring mix, mushrooms... a few lentil sprouts... sometimes raw kelp noodles if I'm in the mood (rarely need them). And then there are the condiments (coconut aminos, Bragg yeast flakes, garlic...) and tons of super-foods that I rotate: raw organic macca powder, wheagrass powder, VitaMineral Green, moringa powder --- I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out, but these are my mainstay. The dressing is the key: made with nut butter or seed butter, often with a raw tahini base and lemon juice + garlic. I totally could eat this day after day and not get tired of it.
And then at some point I have a raw fat bomb. It's coconut oil based, but the other ingredients vary. Almost always includes raw cacao powder and a small amount of grated raw coconut.
I haven't made any nut milk yet, but that's on my agenda.
This is just a brief 'sketch,' but it gives you an idea. I'm hoping the other folks who are doing this ketogenic raw regimen will start publishing recipes and menu ideas online, but really, it hasn't been an issue for me yet, as I seem to want to eat the same yummy stuff over and over again every day (with an occasional day off to fast).

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 31, 2016 06:29AM

It's good people are talking about these raw diets that are different from high carb/low fat because it is opening people's eyes to the possibilities on a raw vegan diet. Once the raw diet was very limited because low fat and high carb was considered the law, but so many failed on the diet by living like that, and now we have a bunch of people reporting doing much better on higher fat and lower carb, and that is wonderful.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 31, 2016 06:31PM

There's no doubt about it that there are MANY raw vegans out there who think they are in fantastic health simply because they are eating raw. The enthusiasm is great, but it's important be well educated about diet and nutrition to be able to sustain the diet in a healthy manner over the long-term. Eating 80/10/10 is going to severely restrict your amino acid and fatty acid intake, which along with minerals is what the human body is made of. We are made of fat, protein, and minerals... and following a high-carb diet is a good way to become deficient in all of those. All of these are crucial for cognitive functioning, which may explain why many raw foodists are very defensive, judgmental, and confrontational when discussing diet.

My diet is high-fat and high-protein these days. I get most of my protein my hemp seeds and chlorella/spirulina and use a raw vegan sprouted brown rice/pea protein powder on and off. Hemp seeds appear to be a very low anti-nutrient seed and my hair analysis appears to support this. My zinc and magnesium levels were very high (in the healthy range) and hemp seeds are extremely rich in both of these minerals. If anti-nutrients were a concern, these minerals should've been low, not only because of the anti-nutrients but also because they would've messed up my digestion even further hindering nutrient assimilation.

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: November 01, 2016 09:16AM

>My diet is high-fat and high-protein these days. I get most of my protein my hemp seeds and chlorella/spirulina and use a raw vegan sprouted brown rice/pea protein powder on and off

Raw veganism has reached a state of confusion, lack of direction.

Fruit has become the enemy and the new solutions are in imported seed powders and fermented seeds. We do not know where to turn.

A totally unworkable approach to nutrition in family settings.
Mothers will be telling their children, "little Joe don't forget to drink your glass of fermented seeds this morning..."

Whatever happened to local foods? Lettuce, spinach, peas, celery, carrots, cantaloupe....

With advance in technology we can even grow many of these foods in our homes with indoor micro greens and sprouting... There is nothing else, no powder out there that can surpass what a growing plant can provide in nutrition. Mothers could make good meals and salads for their family out of these.

Food needs to be enjoyed in family settings, it is a gathering of joy and nutrition, not of grimacing powdered liquid drinks.

The other cry out there is that we need more fat in the form of oils from coconut oil, or olive oils, why not eat the coconut and the olive instead. Every food has oil already.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: November 11, 2016 05:07AM

Noone does it cause it only works short term in terms of a decade or two for an individual not a lineage. We need to look at the long term picture, a lifetime and having vibrant children that can carry on to have vibrant children themselves. Rawfood/Vegan diets have failed miserably in that context. Maybe its time to go back to what we know is sustainable?....

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: November 17, 2016 01:20AM

Good post, RawPracticalist.

Date: November 17, 2016 08:00AM

Hey Kwan,

Thanks for explaining your ketogenic forms of nourishment. Very interesting.

Sproutman,

Thanks for explaining your way of eating. I appreciate it.

jtprindl,

I like hearing that your zinc and magnesium levels are good on your diet! Great newssmiling smiley

Date: November 20, 2016 02:06AM

Hello La Veronique!! THANK YOU! (How are you, friend?)
Your response broke the spell and opened my mind -- you are RIGHT. I shouldn't be so reticent to share my experience here; there are plenty of kindred spirits hungry (ha! -- literally!) for truth, in whatever form it will appear. But based on my past experience and mistakes here, I wanted to be careful not to go too far afield and alienate people. I realize, though, that ultimately we are all searching for the 'Holy Grail' of physical and spiritual nourishment. Always, we need to be asking: what is the ultimate purpose of our quest? Longevity? Well-being so that we can more easily pursue our spiritual quest? A path toward the ultimate goal of cosmic nourishment?
it has been, and I know it will CONTINUE TO BE, a wonderful and rewarding journey. and I will continue to check in here on the forum and share my experiences.
My 'raw' journey was so circuitous and fraught with twists and turns (despite almost 30 years of basically 'traditional' raw vegan). I knew I really WANTED to be raw vegan, but I had to find my own way. I can hardly believe that at my advanced age I am finally 'happy at last,' (lol!) and experiencing the 'paradaisical' state mentioned by Arnold Ehret in his books that I started reading and trying to follow in 1974. (Despite not following his advice to eat lots and lots of fruit.) What a long and strange journey. But it has been WORTH IT. :-))))))
Latest twist: Today I just acquired a new Breville juicer to replace my 'Juiceman' model, for free, no less! And I will be doing some low glycemic juices in the near future. I know that short water fasts and a continuation of the intermittent fasting that I've come to value so much, are also in my near future. (I haven't been doing IF lately, because we just MOVED to a new apt. in our building, and I felt more inclined to just go with the flow and eat whenever I felt I needed to while going through this process.)
But now I'm rambling...
I DO believe there is a future yet for the raw food movement. It just may need a slightly different slant.
LOVE AND BLESSINGS TO ALL.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 21, 2016 08:41AM

Kwan

<<Hello La Veronique!! THANK YOU! (How are you, friend?)
Your response broke the spell and opened my mind -- you are RIGHT. I shouldn't be so reticent to share my experience here; there are plenty of kindred spirits hungry (ha! -- literally!) for truth, in whatever form it will appear. But based on my past experience and mistakes here, I wanted to be careful not to go too far afield and alienate people. I realize, though, that ultimately we are all searching for the 'Holy Grail' of physical and spiritual nourishment. Always, we need to be asking: what is the ultimate purpose of our quest? Longevity? Well-being so that we can more easily pursue our spiritual quest? A path toward the ultimate goal of cosmic nourishment?>>

Ultimately? I think the goal is happiness.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 23, 2016 06:02AM

good post as usual rawpracticalist

prindl,
the website is not valid on the bottom of your post.

>>>>
jtprindl
There's no doubt about it that there are MANY raw vegans out there who think they are in fantastic health simply because they are eating raw. The enthusiasm is great, but it's important be well educated about diet and nutrition to be able to sustain the diet in a healthy manner over the long-term.

what schools do the polar bears, lions, and koalas go to? or where do they get their education?

>>>>Eating 80/10/10 is going to severely restrict your amino acid and fatty acid intake, which along with minerals is what the human body is made of. We are made of fat, protein, and minerals... and following a high-carb diet is a good way to become deficient in all of those. All of these are crucial for cognitive functioning, which may explain why many raw foodists are very defensive, judgmental, and confrontational when discussing diet.

I look forward to the proof of the above, a proof that you have never been able to provide, and keep repeating without evidence

do we really need to revisit your own defensive, judgmental and confrontational posts that would apparently prove that the high fat, high protein raw diet causes it? enough of that nonsense.

>>>My diet is high-fat and high-protein these days. I get most of my protein my hemp seeds and chlorella/spirulina and use a raw vegan sprouted brown rice/pea protein powder on and off. Hemp seeds appear to be a very low anti-nutrient seed and my hair analysis appears to support this. My zinc and magnesium levels were very high (in the healthy range) and hemp seeds are extremely rich in both of these minerals. If anti-nutrients were a concern, these minerals should've been low, not only because of the anti-nutrients but also because they would've messed up my digestion even further hindering nutrient assimilation.

your diet was always high fat and protein

is this you?
[envioushealth.com]

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables