Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vegetable Police goes high fat!
Date: October 31, 2016 06:59AM

The high carb low fat diet wasn't working for Vegetable Police so he went high fat and is doing much better.
[www.youtube.com]

I was absolutely delighted when l heard this video. People are really starting to wake up imo...people are all different and have different macronutrient ratio requirements. Some do better on high carb, some do better on high protein and others do better on high fat.

Btw, Veggie Police also ferments his nuts and seeds, and that made me smile extra wide today. Fermentation really is the key when doing high fat vegan diets imo. Cheers to my high fat fermentation friends! smileys with beer

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 07:01AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vegetable Police goes high fat!
Date: October 31, 2016 07:26AM

VP talks about the problems he encountered on the high carb low fat diet and how he is doing well on the high fat low carb diet more then 12 months later.
[www.youtube.com]

But that is not to say all people do well on a high fat vegan diet. This man ruined his health while doing it. The point is that we need to find what works for us.
[www.youtube.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 31, 2016 06:38PM

What if you soaked chia seeds in water that had enzymes and/or probiotics in them?

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: October 31, 2016 08:07PM

jtprindl
What if you soaked chia seeds in water that had enzymes and/or probiotics in them?

I don't think they will be too effective in breaking down the chia seeds because of that gel. I have tried fermenting chia seeds and it just doesn't work.

By far the best way to have chia raw is to sprout it with 1 mm tails and sit it in rejuvalic for at least 5 minutes and blend for 30 seconds and drink as a milk shake and swish and chew the liquid in your mouth.

Note also: the gel from chia fills you up so much so it makes it harder to get the extra nutrition in, but when one eats sprouted seeds it is much easier to eat more chia without feeling bloated. For eg, if l soaked a cup of chia and then soaked it and tried to eat that l would have difficulty, but if l sprouted a cup of chia (reduces the gel a lot) and ate it it is far easier. See...the thing is also, when one lives on chia meals they must have larger meals to get the same nutrition, but this can only be done by sprouting the seeds. I can eat 2 cups of fermented sprouted sunflower easily, but eating 2 cups of sprouted chia would be impossible...l can only eat 1 cup of chia seed at a meal IF it is sprouted and much less if it is not sprouted because the taste is too harsh after a while and it fills me up too much etc. You try eating 1 cup of non sprouted chia day after day,it is not sustainable for mere mortals imo, where-as eating sprouted chia is a pleasure and far easier.

I have 5 large trays of chia this morning in rejuvalic. It will take me 90 minutes to consume it. This is a ketogenic diet. I do this 3 - 4 days per week and won't eat anything else until night time. On the other days when l do 2 cups of sunflower seeds (much more when sprouted) it is not a ketogenic meal because the carb amount exceeds 100 grams.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 08:12PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 31, 2016 08:34PM

The Sproutarian Man
jtprindl

I don't think they will be too effective in breaking down the chia seeds because of that gel. I have tried fermenting chia seeds and it just doesn't work.

By far the best way to have chia raw is to sprout it with 1 mm tails and sit it in rejuvalic for at least 5 minutes and blend for 30 seconds and drink as a milk shake and swish and chew the liquid in your mouth.

Note also: the gel from chia fills you up so much so it makes it harder to get the extra nutrition in, but when one eats sprouted seeds it is much easier to eat more chia without feeling bloated. For eg, if l soaked a cup of chia and then soaked it and tried to eat that l would have difficulty, but if l sprouted a cup of chia (reduces the gel a lot) and ate it it is far easier. See...the thing is also, when one lives on chia meals they must have larger meals to get the same nutrition, but this can only be done by sprouting the seeds. I can eat 2 cups of fermented sprouted sunflower easily, but eating 2 cups of sprouted chia would be impossible...l can only eat 1 cup of chia seed at a meal IF it is sprouted and much less if it is not sprouted because the taste is too harsh after a while and it fills me up too much etc. You try eating 1 cup of non sprouted chia day after day,it is not sustainable for mere mortals imo, where-as eating sprouted chia is a pleasure and far easier.

I have 5 large trays of chia this morning in rejuvalic. It will take me 90 minutes to consume it. This is a ketogenic diet. I do this 3 - 4 days per week and won't eat anything else until night time. On the other days when l do 2 cups of sunflower seeds (much more when sprouted) it is not a ketogenic meal because the carb amount exceeds 100 grams.

Would you be able to sprout 1mm tails on chia by just leaving it in the jar longer? I think I remember accidentally leaving soaked chia in a jar once and it still started sprouting.

www.phytopanacea.com

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 01, 2016 05:51AM

that guy is just clueless, sorry to say.

of course he doesn't appreciate bananas or mangoes or any of the other fruits he mentioned.
1. he doesn't eat all raw - fruit is difficult to appreciate when eating cooked.
2. he's obviously not properly hungry to appreciate foods
3. he's probably sitting around doing nothing from the looks of it.
4. he wasn't satisfied because when you mix cooked and raw the hunger cues are way off and difficult to feel satisfied.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: November 01, 2016 06:47AM

I just watched those videos that Sproutarian man posted. I didn't know he made health videos until now. It's hard to judge him because of his past ulcerative colitis, past acne and also he lives in Toronto. It looks like he has alternated between high carb and high fat over time. I thought he was just a comic, but now I see he is on a real health journey.

this is when he was doing high fruit:
HAIR LOSS treatment with DIET. How I reversed Male Pattern Baldness
(beware of foul language)
[www.youtube.com]

Negatives of my High Fat Raw Vegan Diet

Published on Oct 12, 2016

These are the side effects so far of my low carb vegan diet.

[www.youtube.com]

synopsis for those who won't watch it: he loves and praises his high fat diet but admits some side effects

Date: November 01, 2016 10:37PM

VP is still having issues on the high fat diet. Maybe it would be good if he took a few herbs to focus on fixing certain things instead of using the diet fixes all approach. The herbs can be used to focus on fixing certain areas. Obviously solutions need to be looked at.

Negatives of my High Fat Raw Vegan Diet
[www.youtube.com]

I wish l could talk to him, i'd ask him to try making rejuvalic and sprouting sesame and sunflower and chia and growing microgreens, and i'd ask him to take some herbs that focus on certain areas of the body to see what happens. I find the effects from fermented seeds are far better than fermented nuts.

Why do l talk about herbs? Because a highly experienced and well qualified herbal friend has had great healing success with herbs. If a raw diet isn't fixing the problems then maybe trying out some powerful herbs is worthwhile.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: November 01, 2016 11:29PM

jtprindl
The Sproutarian Man
jtprindl

Would you be able to sprout 1mm tails on chia by just leaving it in the jar longer? I think I remember accidentally leaving soaked chia in a jar once and it still started sprouting.

Also, what about soaking in water and then afterwards soaking in apple cider vinegar?

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: November 02, 2016 06:46AM

TSM wrote:
VP is still having issues on the high fat diet. Maybe it would be good if he took a few herbs to focus on fixing certain things instead of using the diet fixes all approach.

Tai:
It seems Veggie Police is really into RObert Morse, so he is well acquainted with some herbs and formulas he could try, but I think he is just experimenting with various vegan diets now.
He is into this intermittent fasting and I found who he is trying to emulate. It is this man, Nun Amen Ra, that Markus interviewed. It is a very long slow discussion, so I will sum it up. THe man eats a very caloric dense dinner in one hour every night and fasts the rest of the day. This meal is starch and nut based with very little fruits and veggies, because of their water content. It's so interesting that Markus interviewed him, but you will see the point during the final three minutes at the end of the interview when Markus gives his commentary, which is worth watching. The man says he doesn't sell his books. He only gives them to devoted followers. He is not teaching a diet so much as a whole lifestyle...somewhat Egyptian-inspired it seems.

He is so serious until he talks about the peanut butter and fruit preserve (jelly) sandwiches. As I understand, and I could be wrong, peanuts only have aflatoxins because they are not processed fast enough after removing them from the ground. They can mold quickly out of the ground. If someone is very fast to remove them from the shell, no mold will form and hence no aflatoxin will be an issue. So peanuts could be eaten raw and sprouted with no aflatoxins. That's my understanding. Am I wrong? Raw jungle peanuts and raw jungle peanut butter are so superior to roasted peanut butter.

Vegan Strongman Eats ONE Meal a Day!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 02, 2016 03:54PM

Amen Ra sounded so intelligent and was very impressive but do you really believe he can maintain his physique on one meal a day?

Date: November 02, 2016 05:40PM

Fresh:
Amen Ra sounded so intelligent and was very impressive but do you really believe he can maintain his physique on one meal a day?

Tai:
Sure. What I don't believe until proof positive is how many calories he actually eats. He eats very dense foods with little water content. You can pack an enormous amount of calories in that way. For some following his diet, they have 3 hours to do this. He trained himself to swallow it all in one hour. Plus he starts out with a mineral/vitamin/nutraceutical supplement to give him most nutrients. Who knows what that is...probably a protein powder, as well. He claims to eat a certain # of calories, but has someone independently verified this? Does he use 3 tbsp of peanut butter when he measures for calories, but other days, he just spreads it really thick?

He does meditation daily, which decreases inflammation in the body and potentially slows metabolism.

What I am shocked by are the raw foodists who are trying to copy him like Veggie Police and Mark Tassi. They claim to be inspired by him, but he teaches low water content foods and they are doing the opposite. Plus he is using dense supplements and what are they using?

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 02, 2016 06:58PM

>Plus he starts out with a mineral/vitamin/nutraceutical supplement to give him most nutrients. Who knows what that is...probably a protein powder, as well

That is not a fast. Fasting is defined as dry fast or a water fast according to the father of fasting Arnold Ehret.

Then his meal has beans, peanuts, and rice. These foods take at least 8 hours to digest, so effective fasting only start 8 hours after his one daily meal. So we have to take 8 hours out the 24 hours.

I agree with him on the importance of exercise. The exercises and the gym can do what diet alone cannot. I spent years on raw food and juices and my results got better when I incorporated the gym into my life style.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2016 07:07PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: November 02, 2016 08:11PM

jtprindl
Also, what about soaking in water and then afterwards soaking in apple cider vinegar?

I haven't tried it, but personally l would be wary of doing that,l am not sure it would be such a good combination.

Truly jtprindl, sprouting the chia on cloth is not too time consuming. It really is worth doing.

jtprindl

It's not going to work if the sprouts are on top of each other.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: November 02, 2016 10:30PM

"I haven't tried it, but personally l would be wary of doing that,l am not sure it would be such a good combination."

The reason I mention apple cider vinegar is because it's rich in enzymes but also contains malic acid which has been proven to help breakdown phytic acid. So I was thinking maybe soaking it for 10-15 minutes right before consuming might help.

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

www.phytopanacea.com

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 03, 2016 12:20PM

>The reason I mention apple cider vinegar is because it's rich in enzymes

Really? I did not know that.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: November 06, 2016 09:35PM

But that is not to say all people do well on a high fat vegan diet. This man ruined his health while doing it. The point is that we need to find what works for us.

Yup. I did high carb, moderate protein, low fat veg. diet ages ago and felt very, very good. Then I had to start eating more fat & protein. But I still can't stand high fat. I got sucked in by Dr. Mercola's and others' high fat propaganda for awhile. You can tell when something just ain't right for you. I wish Mercola understood that there's different strokes for different folks.

McDougall and high fat
Date: November 12, 2016 07:10AM

Someone asked McDougall how some people lose weight eating high fat, and one reason he gave was moderation. Clearly Vegetable police is thin and even though he eats a lot of nut and seed yogurt, he is only eating one meal per day, aside from green juices. So clearly he is not exceeding his calorie needs.

Title: The Fat You Eat, Is The Fat You Wear!
[www.drmcdougall.com]

at 8:50 to 10:00, he says how biopsies of fat can prove what dietary fat is eaten. He says the references are in his March 2009 newletter, quoted below:

[www.drmcdougall.com]

Fat Is the Metabolic Dollar Saved for the Next Famine
After eating, dietary fat (from lard, butter, meat, cheese, nuts, olive oil, etc.) is absorbed from the intestine into the bloodstream and transported to the millions of cells designed for storage — the body fat (adipose) cells.
The metabolic cost for this transfer is relatively inexpensive (3% of the calories consumed).11
No pricey chemical conversion is required, so this is a routine metabolic movement after every typical meal.
When samples of a person’s body fat tissue are chemically analyzed the results reveal the kinds of fats which that person commonly eats.
14-17
For example, the consumption of margarine and shortening results in high proportions of “trans” fats in a person’s fatty tissues.
A diet with large amounts of cold-water marine fish means omega 3 fats are deposited and stored in the body fat. The saying “from my lips to my hips” expresses the real life effects of the fat laden Western diet.
Fortunately, starches contain very little fat for us to wear.

14) Thomas LH, Jones PR, Winter JA, Smith H. Hydrogenated oils and fats: the presence of chemically modified fatty acids in human adipose tissue.
Am J Clin Nutr.
1981 May;34(5):877
-
15) London SJ, Sacks FM, Caesar J, Stampfer MJ, Siguel E, Willett WC. Fatty acid composition of subcutaneous adipose tissue and diet in postmenopausal US women.
Am J Clin Nutr.
1991 Aug;54(2):340
-
16) Baylin A, Kabagambe EK, Siles X, Campos H. Adipose tissue biomarkers of fatty acid intake.
Am J Clin Nutr.
2002 Oct;76(4):750
-
17) Brevik A, Veierød MB, Drevon CA, Andersen LF. Evaluation of the odd fatty acids 15:0 and 17:0 in
serum and adipose tissue as markers of intake of milk and dairy fat.
Eur J Clin Nutr.
2005 Dec;59
(12):1417
-

I found these links in the comment section by "mr. potato head" who was defending McDougall.

[www.youtube.com]

Tai:
While Swayze, the Unnatural vegan, claims that McDougall is wrong about fat, here she is showing off her chubby tummy. I am not fat shaming, as I think she looks just fine. Plus she is happy with her diet. But it's not really fair to say McDougall is wrong, especially when he admits that moderation can still result in weight loss or stability

[www.youtube.com]

Adipose tissue is a suitable biomarker of dietary fatty acid intake
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The objective was to identify which adipose tissue fatty acids are suitable biomarkers of intake as assessed with a validated food-frequency questionnaire. Biomarkers can provide a more accurate measure of long-term intake than can dietary questionnaires.
[ajcn.nutrition.org]

the fatty acid profile of adipose tissue TG is considered a good indicator of long-term dietary fat quality in weight-stable individuals due to its slow turnover time
[jaha.ahajournals.org]

Tai:
Some people have criticized McDougall for looking too old for his age. But here he talks about his earlier life before he changed his diet and how he suffered a stroke:

(Same newsletter):
"I am not a restrained person and neither are most of my patients.
In my youth I started the day with several mugs of strong coffee, I frequented all you can eat buffets and fast food restaurants, I smoked two packages of Marlboros daily, and too often unwound at the end of my stress filled day with a whiskey or two. (I also paid a big price for this excessive behavior with a cholesterol level of 335 mg/dl, 50 pounds of excess body fat, major abdominal surgery, and a debilitating stroke, all before the age of 25 years.)
I realize most people are not as wicked as I was, but on the other hand most people I know allow at least one of these overindulgences in their lives
and that one extravagance is usually unending forkfuls of rich foods. For people like us, attempts at moderation result in continued dependence and recurring failures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 07:17AM by Tai.

Date: November 12, 2016 08:23AM

I mentioned Swayze in the previous post, but to be fair, she also gained weight eating excess calories on a high fruit diet (sometimes 3500 calories with reduced exercise).

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 13, 2016 12:07AM

I have one more thing to add about Swayze. As I said, she looks just fine with her weight. I think it's not only ridiculous but incorrect for people to expect to look the same with respect to weight. Some women just naturally carry more weight and wideness in some areas, and that's a good thing for diversity.

But how does she pull off the weight she is at by eating more fat?

Well, for one, she uses Splenda, because it's low in calories. She knows stevia is calorie-free but she doesn't like the taste. She knows dates carry too many calories for her weight goal. So, rather than cut back in fat, like eliminating olive oil, she uses Splenda...for her morning coffee and desserts. As she says, fat is delicious (the typical vegan fats anyway). How far are people willing to go to eat a high fat diet? Well, she went as far as arguing with Dr. Gregor.

Splenda is safe and Happy Healthy Vegan is wrong again
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Effect of Sucralose (Splenda) on the Microbiome (cherry-picking clickbait)
[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 22, 2016 04:12PM

fresh
that guy is just clueless, sorry to say.

of course he doesn't appreciate bananas or mangoes or any of the other fruits he mentioned.
1. he doesn't eat all raw - fruit is difficult to appreciate when eating cooked.
2. he's obviously not properly hungry to appreciate foods
3. he's probably sitting around doing nothing from the looks of it.
4. he wasn't satisfied because when you mix cooked and raw the hunger cues are way off and difficult to feel satisfied.

I'm kind of done with this whole mentality of "You're just not pure enough!" I'm kind of wondering if maybe we'd be better off listening to our bodies than other judgmental people. Cheers to him for doing his thing and being happy.

Date: November 23, 2016 02:29AM

>>>I'm kind of done with this whole mentality of "You're just not pure enough!" I'm kind of wondering if maybe we'd be better off listening to our bodies than other judgmental people. Cheers to him for doing his thing and being happy.[/quote]

there is nothing wrong with anyone doing what works for them at any time.
my comments on his statements in his video remain true to me and it's not intended as an insult, everyone is clueless about diet at one time or another.
my comments relate to this constant refrain of "the fruits and veggies" are the problem, which does not ring true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables