Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nutrients don't matter ..VIDEO
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 18, 2016 04:55PM

[youtu.be]

I thought I had put a link in previous post

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nutrients don't matter ..VIDEO
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 19, 2016 02:03AM

Excellent video.
The points are correct by observation.
I made my diet simpler this year, reduced nut and seed yogurt and my health actually improved.

Date: December 19, 2016 02:50AM

RawPracticalist
Excellent video.
The points are correct by observation.
I made my diet simpler this year, reduced nut and seed yogurt and my health actually improved.

now jtprindl can debate with mcdougall and lisle

seems we are not the only ones who hold those beliefs on nutrients

Date: December 19, 2016 01:30PM

Few years back I was prisoner of the "Maybe this nutrient is missing" theory.

1. I needed my daily intake of one brazil nut for selenium
then you read that brazil nuts are not really raw so... it may not be a good source of selenium

2. And the all important flax seeds for omega 3s.
..but i forgot to sprouts them, they may not be well assimilated...

3. Do not be without the king. Chia seeds
otherwise you will be missing calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin.
But I am out, I did not buy enough last time at the health food store

4. You were warned that vegetarians cannot cannot absolutely cannot live without fenugreek seeds
The is an absolute must to counter balance other nutrients.
But they are so expensive

5. You thought with all of that you will be ok? Wrong, the soil is depleted and the super foods are not really super, you need sea vegetables.
But be careful the sea too is poluted

6. And what about the pumpkins and sunflower seed yoghurt
You need protein stupid
But they need to be sprouted first

.................And the list goes on...................

And the SAD eaters are very happy.

I came out of this when I focused my attention on the cleansing, on eating less, on growing my own micro greens, and on the gym. Then I went without these super foods and was actually doing better.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2016 01:45PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 20, 2016 05:37AM

Sounds like nonsense that doesn't have any credibility. It's just a few guys making unverifiable claims and then a mention of a study done on TWO people without giving any details. I think MacDougall is potentially putting a lot of people's health in danger by giving them some pretty bad advice. There are countless studies done on humans that prove people do have nutrient deficiencies. To say that as along as we eat natural foods (or simply just one natural food) it's essentially impossible to have any deficiencies is highly irresponsible. Telling people to avoid supplements because there are studies with poor results as if all supplements are created equal is also highly irresponsible. The "arguments" are quite laughable in my opinion.

Nutrient recycling will prevent you from having deficiencies but you still need to supplement with B12 even though they also tell you to not take any supplements? Contradicting information.

www.phytopanacea.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 05:43AM by jtprindl.

Date: December 20, 2016 05:48AM

jtprindl
Sounds like nonsense that doesn't have any credibility. It's just a few guys making unverifiable claims and then a mention of a study done on TWO people without giving any details. I think MacDougall is potentially putting a lot of people's health in danger by giving them some pretty bad advice. Nutrient recycling? Where's the evidence? Sounds like a pipe dream. There are countless studies done on humans that prove people do have nutrient deficiencies.

>>>they didn't say that people NEVER have nutrient deficiencies

To say that as along as we eat natural foods (or simply just one natural food) it's essentially impossible to have any deficiencies is highly irresponsible.

>>> they meant virtually impossible. and their point was about focus. what is the focus? should the focus be on nutrients and deficiencies or eat and relax for the most part since deficiencies are rare?

Telling people to avoid supplements because there are studies with poor results as if all supplements are created equal is also highly irresponsible. The "arguments" are quite laughable in my opinion.

Nutrient recycling will prevent you from having deficiencies but you still need to supplement with B12 even though they also tell you to not take any supplements? Contradicting information.

>>>it's not contradicting, it's an exception as was explained.
depends on your mindset and perspective.
theirs is clear, and appears to be successful.
yours is clear as well.

Date: December 20, 2016 06:29AM

"should the focus be on nutrients and deficiencies or eat and relax for the most part since deficiencies are rare?"

Plenty of studies show that deficiencies are, in fact, not rare. In fact, they're extremely common. If you don't ingest X nutrient, you become deficient in X nutrient.

The entire video is a giant contradiction. In one clip it says that restricting nutrients increases longevity and in the next it says we don't develop nutrient deficiencies if we eat natural foods because of "nutrient recycling". Well, if we very rarely become deficient even on a diet of straight white potatoes, then how are we living longer because of the nutrient deficiencies? It doesn't make sense. There's also no evidence for the claim that as long as we eat natural food, deficiencies are irrelevant. It's an idea, not truth.

www.phytopanacea.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 06:35AM by jtprindl.

Date: December 20, 2016 06:40AM

jtprindl
"should the focus be on nutrients and deficiencies or eat and relax for the most part since deficiencies are rare?"

Plenty of studies show that deficiencies are, in fact, not rare. In fact, they're extremely common. If you don't ingest X nutrient, you become deficient in X nutrient.

The entire video is a giant contradiction. In one clip it says that restricting nutrients increases longevity and in the next it says we don't develop nutrient deficiencies if we eat natural foods because of "nutrient recycling". Well, if we very rarely become deficient even on a diet of straight white potatoes, then how are we living longer because of the nutrient deficiencies? It doesn't make sense. There's also no evidence for the claim that as long as we eat natural food, deficiencies are irrelevant. It's an idea, not truth.

yes, much of it was speculation

they aren't saying people don't get deficient, they were saying on a decent diet it's not something to worry about.

you have to remember who their audience is, it's not people living with barely enough to eat , it's affluent americans with access to abundant food

there's not really stats on nutrient deficiencies from what i can see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 06:53AM by fresh.

Date: December 20, 2016 06:55AM

"they aren't saying people don't get deficient, they were saying on a decent diet it's not something to worry about."

To them, a decent diet is one of strictly potatoes and they specifically said a diet of only potatoes would cause no concern for long-term nutritional deficiencies. To me it's absurd... A pipe dream.

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 07:12AM

i don't think they were saying that is a decent diet long term.

and the only two that appear to be low on a potato diet
are vitamins A and E
so might not be good long term, but not bad for one food item, shows the abundance of nutrients available in most foods

mcdougall is hampered by his inability to comprehend the superiority of raw.

if you take just bananas and lettuce all the nutrients are arguably there in adequate amounts and better choice than cooked potatoes.

it was just an interesting take on nutrition and they are correct in that there are a lot of recommendations for X nutrients with little real evidence that it is necessary or beneficial.

understandable that you and others take the opposite view for your own reasons

Date: December 20, 2016 07:57AM

Actually I am wrong about the vitamin a and e.

I used white potatoes but sweet potatoes have plenty.

So although it's possible that fat is low, I think it could be viable long term with b12 plus sun.

So McDougall is right.

Date: December 20, 2016 03:53PM

The guy eating only potatoes says he is not bored by his diet. Amazing.

And nothing noted about any fat deficiency symptoms.

Date: December 20, 2016 04:20PM

I do agree that Nutrients matter.

The body basic structure has to be there.

When you live in the most poor areas of the world and you cannot even find daily meal, the lack of basic nutrients can lead to death for children.

But in the civilized world where we live and surrounded by so much food, this constant search of nutrients x, y, and z is a waste of time.

We already have enough.

Most are overloaded, they can live on a potato diet for months with no issue.

It is actually good in the sense that the body can rest, not always processing so many foods from different sources.

Date: December 20, 2016 04:55PM

RawPracticalist

When you live in the most poor areas of the world and you cannot even find daily meal, the lack of basic nutrients can lead to death for children.

But in the civilized world where we live and surrounded by so much food, this constant search of nutrients x, y, and z is a waste of time.

We already have enough.

It is actually good in the sense that the body can rest, not always processing so many foods from different sources.

Exactly, that was the point.
And I actually think you can live for a long time on just one food like potatoes, the spud guy has been doing it for a year. Although there are some mono diets of course that won't work due to key nutrients missing

Date: December 20, 2016 06:42PM

"And I actually think you can live for a long time on just one food like potatoes, the spud guy has been doing it for a year. Although there are some mono diets of course that won't work due to key nutrients missing"

People can live a long time eating McDonald's and processed foods all the time, too, but how well is their body and brain functioning?

I put 22 sweet potatoes in CRON-O-Meter and found that you'd still be majorly deficient in omega-3's, selenium, iodine, vitamin K, zinc, folate, and choline. Protein would be low too. So as far as brain functioning goes (lack of DHA and various B-vitamins), it's not looking too good. As far as thyroid functioning goes (lack of selenium and iodine), it's not looking too good. As far as immunity and hormones (zinc), it's looking sub-optimal. Plus you need fat to absorb vitamin A on top of plant-based vitamin A already having very low conversion rates (beta-carotene to retinol).

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 06:43PM

"Most are overloaded, they can live on a potato diet for months with no issue."

Overloaded with toxins and calories, not nutrients.

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 06:48PM

fresh
RawPracticalist

We already have enough.

Exactly, that was the point.
And I actually think you can live for a long time on just one food like potatoes, the spud guy has been doing it for a year. Although there are some mono diets of course that won't work due to key nutrients missing

He should get a blood (preferably cellular) test performed and post the results. And how do we know if he's supplementing or not?

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 07:35PM

He is eating a variety of potatoes and on that diet there are no deficiencies except in your head. If something shows up in chronometer has less than 100% that does not mean that you are deficient and for you to say that diet is low in protein is an indication that you are completely ignorant no offense

jtprindl
"And I actually think you can live for a long time on just one food like potatoes, the spud guy has been doing it for a year. Although there are some mono diets of course that won't work due to key nutrients missing"

People can live a long time eating McDonald's and processed foods all the time, too, but how well is their body and brain functioning?

I put 22 sweet potatoes in CRON-O-Meter and found that you'd still be majorly deficient in omega-3's, selenium, iodine, vitamin K, zinc, folate, and choline. Protein would be low too. So as far as brain functioning goes (lack of DHA and various B-vitamins), it's not looking too good. As far as thyroid functioning goes (lack of selenium and iodine), it's not looking too good. As far as immunity and hormones (zinc), it's looking sub-optimal. Plus you need fat to absorb vitamin A on top of plant-based vitamin A already having very low conversion rates (beta-carotene to retinol).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 07:40PM by fresh.

Date: December 20, 2016 07:50PM

"He is eating a variety of potatoes and on that diet there are no deficiencies except in your head. If something shows up in chronometer has less than 100% that does not mean that you were deficient and for you to say that is low in protein is an indication that you are completely ignorant no offense"

HA! Just like if something shows up in CRON-O-Meter that has more than 100% it doesn't mean you are sufficient, yet you always use it to try and "prove" that a diet of bananas and lettuce is basically all you need. It doesn't matter what potatoes you eat, you're still going to be very low in selenium, iodine, DHA, vitamin K, etc. You also restrict your intake of phytochemicals. Then there's the damage/leeching of nutrients from cooking to account for.

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 08:23PM

You're right, cron doesn't prove anything.its approximate.

No you are not LOW in those nutrients necessarily clinically just because they are low relative to rda

And about the protein that is double or triple the rda that you claimed was low? Are you going to admit that is unlikely or will you just ignore your false statement.

He should get tested as you said.

Date: December 20, 2016 08:44PM

"And about the protein that is double or triple the rda that you claimed was low? Are you going to admit that is unlikely or will you just ignore your false statement."

Double or triple? 22 sweet potates provides 50 grams of protein which was still low according to CRON-O-Meter. You believe 25 grams or less of protein is enough?

"No you are not LOW in those nutrients necessarily clinically just because they are low relative to rda"

No but the lower your intake relative to the RDA, the higher the likelihood of a clinical deficiency. If your RDA intake is super low (such as the case with potatoes and iodine, selenium, DHA) then you're probably clinically deficient, especially if intakes are low over the long-term.

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 08:55PM

The man on the diet ate 2700 calories from what I recall I put in a mix of white and sweet potatoes and it comes out to 65 grams of protein.
And yes 25 grams of protein certainly can be enough.

He is currently proving you wrong and you still can't accept it

Date: December 20, 2016 09:12PM

Blood test

[youtu.be]

Date: December 20, 2016 09:14PM

fresh
The man on the diet ate 2700 calories from what I recall I put in a mix of white and sweet potatoes and it comes out to 65 grams of protein.
And yes 25 grams of protein certainly can be enough.

He is currently proving you wrong and you still can't accept it

How is he proving me wrong... By being alive?

25 grams can be enough? Maybe if you want to look like you live in a concentration camp and couldn't care less about your brain.

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 09:16PM

fresh
Blood test

[youtu.be]

He didn't show anything in regards to the nutrients I've been talking about.

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 09:38PM

Plus he has mild neutropenia (the presence of abnormally few neutrophils in the blood, leading to increased susceptibility to infection) and mild thrombocytopenia (deficiency of platelets in the blood which causes bleeding into the tissues, bruising, and slow blood clotting after injury).

www.phytopanacea.com

Date: December 20, 2016 10:55PM

Actually 15.6grams protein may be enough, so 25 is too much.

Everything you contend is speculation without actual evidence of harm.

And yes how is he even alive!!! He should not be according to you

Date: December 20, 2016 11:24PM

He is proving you wrong since he has no symptoms of deficiency from the nutrients you claim he is deficient in.

It's OK admitting you are wrong ...feels good, leads to paradigm shifts

Date: December 21, 2016 12:08AM

"Actually 15.6grams protein may be enough"

For an infant.

"He is proving you wrong since he has no symptoms of deficiency from the nutrients you claim he is deficient in"

How would you even know? A lack of symptoms doesn't mean there isn't a deficiency. Just because you don't have goiter doesn't mean you have healthy levels of iodine.

How would one know if they are cognitively impaired from iodine and DHA deficiency if they've been deficient for so long that they think their level of cognition is just the norm? Or maybe it's a vicious cycle and their deficiencies are impairing their brain so much that they think they're healthy so they continue to ignore the deficiency and therefore continue to be cognitively impaired.

"It's OK admitting you are wrong ...feels good, leads to paradigm shifts"

Oh I agree, but there is something wrong with pretending deficiencies are essentially impossible as long as you eat natural food.

www.phytopanacea.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 12:08AM by jtprindl.

Date: December 21, 2016 12:42AM

I would argue that he is showing deficiency symptoms of iodine deficiency based on his blood test.

Again, he has mild neutropenia (the presence of abnormally few neutrophils in the blood, leading to increased susceptibility to infection) and mild thrombocytopenia (deficiency of platelets in the blood which causes bleeding into the tissues, bruising, and slow blood clotting after injury).

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "The frequency of TD among neutropenic patients may be higher than previously reported. The existence of antineutrophil antibodies, as well as the different distribution of lymphocyte subsets among patients with different TD, suggests both humoral and cellular mechanisms in the pathophysiology of thyroid disease-associated neutropenia"

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Hyperthyroidism causes mild decreases in total white blood cell count, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia and increases, normal or mild decreases in total white blood cell count".

www.phytopanacea.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 12:43AM by jtprindl.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables