Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Diet example to insure sufficient nutrients
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 21, 2016 03:11PM

Here is a list of foods as an example for sufficient amounts of all required nutrients.

STRAWBERRIES

The end
Very difficult, this diet thing
Especially without oils, super foods nuts seeds

Or maybe not.

Put strawberries in cron and see what you get

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diet example to insure sufficient nutrients
Date: December 22, 2016 12:29AM

What about if you are only blueberry?

What about mung bean sprouts?

Well yes you would get all required nutrients in sufficient amounts.

Hmm seems like the entire nutrition and diet industry is a farce.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 22, 2016 04:07AM

I don't think that one single food can sustain us in the long run without any issue.

One single food is good as a form of fasting, getting the body to just deal with one food, one could stay healthy on this for months even years but not for a very long time.

The one good well know example of a minimal diet was Luigi Cornaro. He ate only 12 ounces of solid food per day from age 35 to age 102 [drbass.com]

The advice he followed was "cut out the rich food, eat as little as you can, and don't abuse your body"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 04:14AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: December 22, 2016 05:41PM

Nevertheless all the nutrients are there.

Just like many animals who live on limited food selection.

I am not suggesting we should eat one food only that but is easier than is thought

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 23, 2016 12:54AM

The other thing to consider is that food has a social dimension.

People are invited to events and served with food like at a wedding or graduation.

I would not want to be max out at one spoon full.

Most would like to enjoy the meal, go back and get more, and more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2016 12:55AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 24, 2016 04:56AM

Hi fresh!

So, getting right to the point: Do strawberries really provide sufficient amounts of all required nutrients? I think we need to qualify that somewhat, to consider how much strawberries we'd have to eat.

1 cup of strawberries provides about 18 IU of Vitamin A, nearly all of it from beta carotene. Daily Recommended Intake (DRI) for Vitamin A - if coming from beta carotene - is around 18000 IU/day.

So we'd have to eat around 1000 cups of strawberries/day to meet the DRI for Vitamin A.

Now, if the Vitamin A in strawberries came from retinol, we'd only need about 167 cups/day. But alas, the retinol form is found in meat and dairy products, not strawberries.

Strawberries are great, but 2000 cups a day?

[ods.od.nih.gov]
[www.healthaliciousness.com]

Not to mention that pesky little issue of Vitamin B12.

On a somewhat different topic, not to boast or brag or anything (right), but my husband and I just passed our 30 year mark for all vegan, all the time. I mean ALL vegan, ALL the time. Committed.

Not quite that perfect for 100% raw, but pretty dang close (on my part. He likes his spuds. Idaho guy. He's wonderful, and absolutely too good for me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 04:58AM by suncloud.

Date: December 24, 2016 06:15AM

400 strawberries.

30% of vit a requirements. and that's the only nutrient below 60% except sodium , all others over 100%

i don't get worried about nutrients unless it's extremely low according to supposed requirements due to the usual safety factors added in.
even 10% could be enough for some nutrients.

again it's not to suggest someone eat all strawberries, merely to refute the alleged requirement for massive variety and difficulty in getting nutrients from basic foods

congrats to you on your veganism

Date: December 24, 2016 06:58AM

and yes if that's all i was eating i could eat 3-400 in a day

or blend or juice

or just 40 kiwi

just like people like sproutarianman juice their greens, he couldn't eat all those sprouts in a day

Date: December 24, 2016 08:17AM

Thank you fresh!

A correction to my post above: DRI is "dietary reference intake", not "daily recommended intake".

Sorry to harp, but I don't know what you're using for your definition of "requirement".

IF the Vitamin A in strawberries came from retinol (it doesn't), then we'd only require 3000 IU of Vitamin A to achieve the DRI. 30% of 3000 IU is 900 IU. So at 3 IU per extra large strawberry, we'd require 300 strawberries to supply 30% of the DRI.

BUT no, the Vitamin A in strawberries comes from beta carotene, not retinol. The DRI for Vitamin A coming from beta carotene is 18000 IU of Vitamin A. 30% of 18000 IU is 5400 IU. So at 3 IU per extra large strawberry, we'd require 1800 strawberries to supply 30% of the DRI.

If the strawberries were medium - size (1 IU/strawberry) instead of extra large, we'd divide 5400 IU by 1 IU = 5400. So we'd need 5400 strawberries to get 30% of the DRI. And to achieve 100% of the DRI, we'd need 6000 extra large strawberries and 18000 medium-size strawberries.

Strawberries are also very low in Vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, calcium, zinc, and selenium. They're an excellent source of Vitamin C and phytonutrients.

Whether or not we agree on a definition for "requirement" is a different issue. And of course, anyone can have their own idea of what the requirement should be. It's a free country; um, well, sort of.

I do agree that to be healthy, humans don't need the nutrition or diet industries. But IMO a reasonable variety of healthy foods is a good thing. I also think that what's reasonable will be different for each of us.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 08:32AM by suncloud.

Date: December 24, 2016 09:53AM

I'm noticing that several of the nutrient sites - even USDA - are possibly figuring %DV Vitamin A in strawberries as if it's coming from retinol, not beta carotene, even while they also show 0 content retinol. I'm concluding this because if the Vitamin A in strawberries is calculated from the retinol DRI (3000 IU/day, as opposed to 18000 IU/day for beta carotene), the figures match. But that's an error.

Dietary retinol comes from meat and dairy.

The USDA probably just used retinol to figure %DV for Vitamin A content in all the foods in their database. Easier that way. And why not, since we're a society dominated by the meat and dairy industry?

Other nutrient sites get their info from the USDA.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 10:07AM by suncloud.

Date: December 24, 2016 03:40PM

Using chronometer.
I was not aware of the difference thank you

Date: December 24, 2016 03:57PM

Strawberries are not low in any of those nutrients you mentioned. For 2500cal the values are over 100

Date: December 24, 2016 07:09PM

And I looked at the vit a again and it depends on what you think the requirements are. From w.h.o. it is 300iu retinol equivalent as a mean adequate value,which matches the 900 you get from chronometer for 2500 cal of strawberries.

Date: December 25, 2016 01:02AM

fresh
Strawberries are not low in any of those nutrients you mentioned. For 2500cal the values are over 100

Well, except for selenium and B12. But otherwise, I concede that point if we're talking about 2500 calories.

However, WHO's Vitamin A requirement (for men) is not 300 iu retinol equivalents. "IU" is "International Units". The WHO requirement is 300 micrograms retinol equivalents (RE). The symbol that looks kind of like "ug" stands for "micrograms" (mcg).

According to the article cited below, .3 mcg RE = one IU retinol. So 300 mcg RE = 1000 IU retinol.

But again, we're talking about retinol. Strawberries don't have retinol. They have beta carotene. One IU beta carotene = 0.6 mcg beta carotene. So if we have 900 IU beta carotene (like in 400 strawberries), that's 540 mcg beta carotene. And now we still have to convert that to mcg RE. Remember, the WHO requirement is 300 mcg RE, not 300 mcg beta carotene.

To get mcg RE, we divide 540 mcg beta carotene by 14, because the ratio of mcg RE to mcg beta carotene is 1:14. That comes to only 38 mcg RE.

So 900 IU from beta carotene (as in 400 strawberries) = 38 mcg RE, which accounts for only 7.89% of the WHO requirement of 300 mcg RE.

This is WHO's example: "Hence, if a diet contained 150mg retinol, 1550mg b-carotene, and 1200mg other provitamin A carotenoids, the vitamin A equivalency of the diet would be:
150 mg + (1550 mg / 14) + (1200 mg / 28) = 304 mg retinol equivalency.

You can find conversion tables, explanations, and the above equation from WHO's 2004 article here:

[apps.who.int]

And that's not even the whole picture! WHO's 300 mcg RE requirement assumes a mixed diet, including sufficient dietary fats. That's because Vitamin A is a fat-soluble vitamin. From WHO's article:

"Products of fat digestion... are essential for the efficient solubilization of retinol and especially for...solubilization of... carotenoids...Diets critically low in dietary fat can therefore impede the efficient absorption of retinol and carotenoids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 01:07AM by suncloud.

Date: December 25, 2016 01:17AM

thanks, that is confusing i will revisit that some time.

you will note that the requirements are not based on anything concrete.

they are based on what's in mothers milk, and what people tend to ingest who don't have symptoms, and the like, so not very scientific.

regarding your fats comment, i think you're implying that the fat intake is low.
i don't agree.

plus it says 30% vit a in cronometer, which doesn't match what you're saying unless they are using retinol as you said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2016 01:24AM by fresh.

Date: December 25, 2016 03:20AM

Well, whatever the case, HAPPY HOLIDAYS fresh!!!!!!

smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables