Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ROCKET FUEL
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 08, 2007 01:03AM

I WAS READING THE SUNDAY NEWPAPER TODAY AND FOUND OUT THAT HERE IN OREGON WHERE I LIVE...THE TOMAOTES AND WATERMELONS AND WATER AND THE MILK HAVE ROCKET FUEL IN IT. SORT OF UPSETTING.WELL-I GUESS U CAN ONLY DO WHAT U CAN.I GUESS IT IS IN THE SOIL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ROCKET FUEL
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 08, 2007 01:08AM

please don't use all caps, it's like you're shouting. hard on the eyes.

unfortunately lots of soil is contaminated with all kinds of horrible junk. buy organic where you can and grow your own.
you can buy a water purifier or get bottled water, milk can be totally avoided, and watermelon and tomato are so easy to grow yourself in containers full of organic soil.
take heart, it isn't impossible to eat cleaner.

oh yes, and vote for someone who cares a bit about the environment. that helps too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2007 01:09AM by coco.

Date: January 08, 2007 01:12AM

SORRY-i cann't see good-so it may be hard on others but i can see big better.

Date: January 08, 2007 01:58AM

I am also in Oregon (Portland). There is perchlorate rocket fuel in lettuce and other produce all over the world. I purchase organic produce from the Farmer's Markets, I hope they have lower levels of perchlorate than the supermarket varieties.

Mike

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 08, 2007 06:12AM

Really, how weird is that, oh my, I wanna go to the jungle, and hide from rocket fuel fruit

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 08, 2007 07:11AM

Taylor,
Oregon is such a huge state. Wouldn't it take a lot of rocket fuel to contaminate it everywhere?

Date: January 08, 2007 07:40AM

This is from an article:

Perchlorates, which are a common pollutant near military sites, have recently been found in the water at concerning levels in 22 states as well as in 93% of lettuce and milk. 97% of breast milk samples taken randomly from around the U.S. have tested positive for perchlorates.

The government funded NAS report reveals that perchlorates are roughly ten times more toxic to humans than the Department of Defense has been claiming. Perchlorates can inhibit thyroid function, cause birth defects and lower IQs, and are considered particularly dangerous to children.

The NAS report recommends human exposure at no more than .0007 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. The EPA has responded to the report by announcing a new drinking water standard of 24.5 ppb for perchlorate...

[www.organicconsumers.org]

Date: January 08, 2007 11:24AM

thanks everyone for all your input...i did not know any of this.i am new to the raw food way of life and sort of buried my head in the sand.here is oregon in the summer-we always get our watermelons from eastern oregon-where the soil is contaminated.i also drink tap water...3-32 oz. bottles a day.so i sort of freaked cause i did not even know or have a clue that any rocket fuel was in any of the soil.thanks all for telling me all of this.i will at least be glad for summer where i can grow my own veggies and fruit.at least maybe the contamination won't be so bad.i never even heard of perchlorates.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 08, 2007 11:48AM

I wouldn't worry much, you can't undo the past (although you might be able to make a positive change for the future if you are really vociferous and active, like, instead of spending money on rockets lets spend money on making locally grown organic f+v cheaper and readily available to everyone).

It is a naturally occuring chemical. It isn't mutagenic and has not been shown to be carcinogenic in humans. The main toxicology concern is that it inhibits iodine uptake. This should not be a problem with those who have adequate iodine intakes. It might be a problem with those who do not use sea vegetables or iodized salt.

[www.tera.org]

Date: January 08, 2007 12:20PM

boy-you are all so informed on so much.wow! thanks so very much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables