Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

high carb diets and low electrolyte balance
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: August 25, 2017 09:15PM

Some people experience problems in a high carb diet but they don't know what is going on. Usually it is from an electrolyte imbalance (Na, P). These are needed and used in many functions. For example, high carb diets use more phosphorus than normal. Symptoms are:

polyuria (frequent urination)

constipation (from soft muscle weakness - low electrolytes in enteric nervous system)

depression (alteration of brain; brain swelling (low Na))

bad sleep

low energy

The highest food in phosphorus is pumpkin seeds. Sea salt contains Na + P and other stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2017 09:22PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: high carb diets and low electrolyte balance
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: September 02, 2017 06:44PM

Hi Panchito, interesting discussion, including about constipation. What do you think of this:

FRUITARIAN GOES 40 DAYS WITHOUT @#$%&

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 02, 2017 07:12PM

Yes. Low sodium will do it. Other factors are low vitamin Bs. Vitamin Bs boost the conversion of food to energy (mood, no constipation, etc). I personally don't like salt. Though I know it is essential. There is not enough in food. But I do like sea salt foot baths and I believe they help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2017 07:15PM by Panchito.

Date: September 25, 2017 01:42AM

Panchito
Some people experience problems in a high carb diet but they don't know what is going on. Usually it is from an electrolyte imbalance (Na, P). These are needed and used in many functions. For example, high carb diets use more phosphorus than normal. Symptoms are:

polyuria (frequent urination)

constipation (from soft muscle weakness - low electrolytes in enteric nervous system)

depression (alteration of brain; brain swelling (low Na))

bad sleep

low energy

The highest food in phosphorus is pumpkin seeds. Sea salt contains Na + P and other stuff.

Yes,considering the number of problems people report on raw vegan high carb diets, it would certain pay to look into these types of things.

I did some number crunching a while back and reported this:

A Natural Hygiene type of diet consisting of fruits and vegetables – SODIUM levels = 14% sodium of rda

A sproutarian type of diet consisting of sprouts, seaweeds and algaes = 6% sodium of rda.

Now we know from peer reviewed studies that low sodium can be linked with:

Both low sodium intakes and high sodium intakes are associated with increased mortality, consistent with a U-shaped association between sodium intake and health outcomes.

Compared With Usual Sodium Intake, Low- and Excessive-Sodium Diets Are Associated With Increased Mortality: A Meta-Analysis

Niels Graudal, Gesche Jürgens et al

[ajh.oxfordjournals.org]

and may even be associated with the following issues (don't know who funded this study),

concerns have been raised that a low sodium intake may adversely affect certain risk factors, including blood lipids and insulin resistance, and thus potentially increase risk of heart disease and stroke

Sodium Intake in Populations: Assessment of Evidence (2013)

Brian L. Strom, Ann L. Yaktine et al

[www.nap.edu]

But but but...it gets potentially more serious with a landmark study coming out in recent years suggesting that the rda for sodium is too low. This landmark paper is now suggesting from 4.93 - 6 grams of sodium with a strong suggestion of taking slightly over 2 grams of potassium to keep CVD risk well managed in relation to sodium and potassium.

The study below was done on almost 102,000 people over a period of almost 4 years. I suggest people spend an hour and read the entire study.

CONCLUSIONS

In this study in which sodium intake was estimated on the basis of measured urinary excretion, an estimated sodium intake between 3 g per day and 6 g per day was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events, as compared with either a higher or lower estimated level of intake. As compared with an estimate potassium excretion that was less than 1.50 g per day, higher potassium excretion was associated with a lower risk of death and cardiovascular events.

Urinary Sodium and Potassium Excretion, Mortality, and Cardiovascular Events

Martin O’Donnell, M.B., Ph.D., Andrew Mente, Ph.D et al

[fhs.mcmaster.ca]

Now...the big question is,does this apply to people on raw food diets? Is a raw vegan diet enough to compensate for such a chronically low sodium level in the diet?

I would be especially careful with high fruit diets because some information suggests that insulin resistance already can be a problem for such people on these types of diets.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2017 01:44AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: September 27, 2017 07:21PM

It is easy to get hurt by following 'general principles.' For example, some people would need salt but told to never touch it. All these general principles are not for everybody. People are overthinking too much and missing other important things. Now, some have been sucked in 'science thinking' and also hurting themselves thinking that only good should come out. So, my advice to people is to become their own boss and try things but keeping in mind the opposing views. The bottom line is that the goal is to feel great and not to be necessarily scientific.

Date: September 28, 2017 05:11AM

Yes, science certainly doesn't have all the answers, especially regarding health requirements.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: September 29, 2017 08:17AM

The average vegan, not fruitarian gets plenty of salt via nama shouyu. Olives, pickles, sauerkraut, capers, and Miso. Purists might cringe at these but they are common ingredients used at raw vegan restaurants.
Strange how the fruitarian Genesis gunfire has been so into salt water flushes.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: September 29, 2017 11:54AM

Panchito
It is easy to get hurt by following 'general principles.' For example, some people would need salt but told to never touch it. All these general principles are not for everybody. People are overthinking too much and missing other important things. Now, some have been sucked in 'science thinking' and also hurting themselves thinking that only good should come out. So, my advice to people is to become their own boss and try things but keeping in mind the opposing views. The bottom line is that the goal is to feel great and not to be necessarily scientific.

But just because you feel great, that doesn't mean that you are functioning at your highest level. I would consider myself a health optimist before a raw foodist which extends beyond diet. Raw is not always the most sufficient way of nourishing the body. Green tea and medicinal mushroom tea are two examples of non-raw substances that have substantial health benefits. Also, in my opinion some supplements such as B-complex vitamins and iodine (if you don't eat a lot of sea vegetables) are critical in today's world given the toxic burden of the environment we live in. In a pristine and perfect world, we could all thrive on freshly picked, perfectly ripe fruit. Unfortunately that's not the case. The world is a cesspool and modern day living is stressful (racism, money, corruption, etc.), both of which deplete the body of nutrients.

www.phytopanacea.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2017 12:03PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 30, 2017 12:55AM

>some supplements such as B-complex vitamins and iodine (if you don't eat a lot of sea vegetables) are critical in today's world given the toxic burden of the environment we live in.

So the supplements are taken from another (non toxic) world?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables