Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Red dragon fruit
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: October 22, 2017 08:09AM

You all should read about red dragon fruit, if you ever get to buy some.
It's amazing!!!!
It's like eating a sweet fruity cooked beet crossed with a sweet red cactus apple.
The seeds are totally edible and super tiny. They crunch when chewed.
You peel it like a banana.
Imagine getting to eat a sweet ripe red cactus apple without the annoying seeds and thorns.
It's heavenly.

P.s. white dragon fruit is ok. It's more common. The red fruit is superior, if it's available.

[mannajoy.wordpress.com]

[drhealthbenefits.com]

[caloriebee.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 08:14AM by Tai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red dragon fruit
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: October 22, 2017 01:03PM

Dragon Fruit
Tai I have dragon fruit every morning with my breakfast.
It is the most exported fruit here in Vietnam there are many recipes for this fruit. So tasty and so good for you. there is also Blue pink white and yellow dragon fruit. I will try and post some recipes for this wonderful fruit.
VietNam is truly a fruit heaven and so cheap all the fruits!
The yearly fruit fest in Ho Chi Minh city should be on any fruit junkies list.

Dragon Fruit are native to Central and South America where they are known as pitaya or pitahaya. They are one of the most widely distributed members of the cactaceae family, and are now found on six continents.
The dragon fruit flesh can be white, red, or magenta all to varying degrees dependant upon variety. The red fleshed varieties contain lycopene which is a natural antioxidant known to fight cancer, heart disease, and lower blood pressure. Despite the health benefits and its spectacular appearance, the fruit has gone virtually unnoticed for centuries. Today it is the leading fruit export of Vietnam. It has even caught the attention of Snapple, Tropicana, and Sobe which are just a few of the major labels that have incorporated dragon fruit into their bottled fruit drinks.
The sensation surrounding this fabulous fruit can be attributed to a legend created by ingenious Asian marketers.According to the legend the fruit was created thousands of years ago by fire breathing dragons. During a battle when the dragon would breathe fire the last thing to come out would be the fruit. After the dragon is slain the fruit is collected and presented to the Emperor as a coveted treasure and indication of victory. The soldiers would then butcher the dragon and eat the flesh. It was believed that those who feasted on the flesh would be endowed with the strength and ferocity of the dragon and that they too would be coveted by the Emperor.
It is written that the dragon’s flame originates deep within its body near the base of its tail. The meat from this part of the dragon was the most desirable and most sought after portion. Only the officers of each division would be privy to this cut of meat. The ancient Chinese called this cut the “jaina,” which translates literally to “the sweetest and best tasting.” The jaina was treasured by all who were privileged enough to taste it, and it is believed that man’s thirst for the jaina is what led to the destruction and eventual extinction of all of the dragons.

Date: October 22, 2017 01:18PM

when eating Dragon fruit avoid eating the skin, its not edible and will give you a stomac ache. Also I find it tste even better when chilled.

Dragon Fruit Smoothie
Mild enough to play well with other fruits but with a unique flavor all its own, dragon fruit is about to be the new star of your smoothie game. For this easy recipe, take your taste buds to the tropics by adding bananas, coconut water and pineapple to your pink fruit.

cost for dragon fruit in Vietnam is about 10,000 to 12,000 VND per kilo, that's about50 to sixty cents a kilo here, Like I said fruit is very cheap here with just a few eceptions''

Vietnamese Fruit Salad

Preparation time:
5 Minutes

I skip the milk and yogart part and just go with coconut water
prepare ingredients
-    Yogurt: 1 cup unsweetened or non-flavored sweetened.
-    3 – 4 tbsp condensed milk.
-    ¼ of a avocado
-    3 wedges of watermelon
-    3 Pieces of papaya
-    2 wedges of dragon fruit
-    5 Grapes
-    ¼ pineapple, chopped into pieces
-    Crushed ice.
Detail Recipe
-    Peel all the fruits and cut into equal bite size pieces.
-    Put avocado, watermelon, papaya, dragon fruit, grape, pineapple alternately into a cup.
-    Put crushed ice over the fruits.
-    Pour yogurt on the ice and topped with condensed milk.
-    Mix well and serve

Blue Dragon Fruits with Red Flesh in Hanoi
The Hanoi Agricultural Extension Center in collaboration with the farmers has successfully grown blue dragon plants with red flesh on a barren hilly area in Hanoi, opening a new way of growing the plants.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 01:36PM by riverhousebill.

Date: October 22, 2017 05:59PM

Rhn, blue dragon fruit must be heavenly. I haven't seen it to try.
I once bought deep purple yams that tasted like blueberry. I can only imagine what hlue dragon fruit tastes like.

You said you skip the dairy part, but here's the vegan options:

Regarding yogurt, we are vegan here, so we make either nut, seed or coconut yogurt. Coconut yogurt would be easy for your wife to make for you. You can smash open the coconuts for her. Watch lou corona for the how tos.

Regarding condensed milk, the vegan version would be blending a bunch of dried dates with a nut or coconut milk. Condensed milk is a no no, because it's animal, plus the tin can is toxic, plus the refined sugar.

Watermelon seems like a natural partner with dragonfruit in a fruit salad. Sounds good.

Current price here in southern California is about $2 for one which weighs over a pound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 06:02PM by Tai.

Date: October 23, 2017 09:48AM

Tai, I have not yet tried the Blue Dragon, I saw some for sale in the Ninh Binh province a few weeks ago. The blue color is intense.
Next time thru Ninh I will give it a try.

Found this info on internet on health points of this fruit

The Nutritional Value of Dragonfruit
Nutrition
Healthy Eating

From the cactus family, specifically the genus Hylocereus or sweet pitayas, dragonfruit is football-shaped and has a leathery, leafy skin that is deep red or pink in color. It comes in three varieties, red flesh, white flesh and yellow flesh, all of which are embedded with hundreds of black seeds and have a mild, sweet taste. The best-tasting variety is the one with red flesh, which is succulent when eaten.
About Dragonfruit
One dragonfruit can weigh between 150 and 600g, but with its thick covering, only about 60 percent is edible. To enjoy dragonfruits, it is best to eat the creamy pulp cold. The middle part is the sweetest, and after cutting the fruits in half, you just have to spoon the flesh out. Dragonfruits are common in Asia (particularly in Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines) and in Central and South America. They are among the many wonder fruits that are said to provide multiple health benefits. In addition, dragonfruits help protect the environment because they absorb carbon dioxide at nighttime, and then release oxygen to purify the air.
Calories
If you are looking for fruits that are filling and delicious, but will help keep your weight in check, dragonfruits are a perfect choice. A 100g serving of dragonfruit has only 60 calories: 18 calories from fat (all unsaturated), 8 calories from protein and 34 calories from carbohydrates. Dragonfruits do not have complex carbohydrates, so they can be easily broken down by the body.
Fats and Cholesterol
Dragonfruits do not contain cholesterol, saturated fat and trans fat, so regular consumption will help manage your blood pressure and control your cholesterol levels. The seeds of dragonfruits are high in polyunsaturated fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids) that reduce triglycerides and lower the risk of cardiovascular disorder.
Fiber
Dragonfruits are high in fiber, so regular consumption can help avoid constipation, improve your digestive health and help you reduce weight.
Vitamins and Minerals
Dragonfruits are rich in vitamin C, containing 9mg per serving that is equivalent to 10 percent of the daily value. Thus, eating dragonfruits helps strengthen your immune system and promotes faster healing of bruises and wounds. In fact, regular eating of dragonfruits will help ward off chronic respiratory disorders such as asthma and cough. Dragonfruits also contain B vitamins such as B1 for better carbohydrate metabolism, B2 for recovery and improvement of appetite, and B3 for reducing bad cholesterol while improving the skin condition.
Dragonfruits are also packed with minerals such as calcium for stronger bones and teeth, phosphorus for tissue formation and iron for healthy blood. One dragonfruit contains approximately 8.8g of calcium, 36.1mg of phosphorus and 0.65mg of iron.
Phytoalbumins
Dragonfruits contain phytoalbumins, which have antioxidant properties that help prevent the formation of cancer cells. In addition, dragonfruits are also known to increase the excretion of heavy metal toxins from the body.
Lycopene
Lycopene is also present in dragonfruits, and this is the pigment responsible for their red color. Lycopene is said to prevent prostate cancer.

Date: October 23, 2017 10:55AM

Dragon fruit grows on a cactus that blooms for only one night per fruit cycle.
Pollination of the dragon fruit plant is done by nocturnal creatures, like moths and bats.
Doctors in Taiwan urge their diabetic patients to eat dragon fruit to lower blood sugar levels.

Dragon Fruit: Nutritional Value, Health Benefits and Calorie Count

White-fleshed pitahaya (Hylocereus undatus) is commonly called dragon fruit or strawberry pear. In Latin America, this member of the cactus family is also known as pitahaya blanca. Both the juicy white flesh and the tiny black seeds distributed across the flesh of the dragon fruit are edible and nutritious. Dragon fruit is also low in calories and can offer several health benefits when consumed in moderation and as part of a balanced diet.
In addition to its nutritional value and health promoting effects, the dragon fruit is praised for its appetizing crunchy texture and refreshing, sweet flavor which is like a cross between kiwi and pear. To preserve most of its flavor and nutrients, the dragon fruit is usually eaten raw as a healthy snack or it is pureed into smoothies. The rest of this article provides details of the nutritional value, calorie count and the health benefits of the dragon fruit.

Nutritional Value and Health Benefits
A 100-gram (3.5 oz) serving of white-fleshed pitahaya provides an estimated 21 milligrams of vitamin C, which corresponds to 34% of the daily value (DV) set for vitamin C. By way of comparison, this is less than half the amount of vitamin C found in an equal serving of oranges but more than three times the amount of vitamin C found in carrots. Vitamin C is perhaps best known for its ability to strengthen the immune system, but it also offers many other health benefits. When you eat dragon fruit or other foods that contain vitamin C, you boost your body's natural ability to get rid of heavy metals and other toxins, promote the healing of your body's cells, and improve your ability to cope with stress. Vitamin C is also an important antioxidant that is vital for overall good health and beautiful skin.
Due its nutritional profile, dragon fruit can be used as a natural remedy for constipation. Dragon fruit seeds, in particular, appear to have strong laxative properties and can therefore be highly effective at at stimulating bowel movement. One of the nutrients that contributes to the laxative properties of the dragon fruit is fiber. A 100-gram portion of dragon fruit delivers 3 grams of fiber, which is equivalent to 12% of the daily reference value for dietary fiber. Furthermore, dragon fruit seeds contain polyunsaturated fatty acids which have been shown to exert laxative effects.

Chart: Calorie Count and Nutrition Facts

Nutrition facts for red-skinned, white-fleshed dragon fruit (Hylocereus undatus) are provided per 100 grams in the chart below. Note that the nutrition facts for red-skinned, red-fleshed pitahaya (Hylocereus polyrhizus or pitahaya roja) are slightly different. Similarly, the nutritional value of the yellow-skinned dragonfruit variety (Selenicereus megalanthus or pitahaya amarilla) is somewhat different.
The nutrition facts provided below include both the absolute amount and the percent daily value for each nutrient.
Nutrient
Amount per 100 g
% Daily Value
Comment
Water
87 g
NA
Very high water content
Protein
1.1 g
2.1 %

Fat
0.4 g
NA
Contains practically no fat
Carbohydrates
11.0 g
3.4 %

Fiber
3 g
12 %
Very good source of dietary fiber
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
0.04 mg
2.7 %

Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
0.05 mg
2.9 %

Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
0.16 mg
0.8 %

Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
20.5 mg
34.2 %
Contains more than 3 times the amount of vitamin C found in carrots
Calcium (Ca)
8.5 mg
0.9 %

Iron (Fe)
1.9 mg
10.6 %
A good source of iron
Phosphorus (P)
22.5 mg
2.3 %

Zinc (Zn)
NA
NA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2017 11:06AM by riverhousebill.

Date: November 06, 2017 02:31AM

I made a fruit salad with red dragon fruit and durian and hawaiian papaya and almond milk.
It's heavenly.

The store where i paid $2 each now sells them for $6/lb (way too expensive).

I went to 99 ranch market this week and paid $2.69/lb. Each fruit averages one pound. These are from Mexico.

Cloud nine...

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 09, 2017 08:24AM

I will keep praying for the day
when

I will have

a Pink peppercorn

or
a Red dragon

or
a Mangosteen

or
a Durian
fruit

I will then be in Heaven

For now
All I have

are my unripe black
bananas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 08:29AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: November 09, 2017 11:38AM

Hi raw practicalist

I saw organic dragon fruit at whole foods for $10/lb. Wow, that's so expensive.

I saw videos of Mike arnstein buying fruit at wholesale suppliers in New York, so it's possible there.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

I love cactus fruits, cactus, and cactus flowers. I have eaten many different kinds. Eating cactus in southern California is a way to balance the heat here. The article talks about the rare fruit from columnar cactus. I have tried that. It's far superior to the common white dragon fruit

If I don't tell you how good it is, then maybe you won't try it when you have a chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2017 11:44AM by Tai.

Date: November 11, 2017 08:38AM

Correct.
I have seen some in Chinatown NY but never bought one.
Will try this weekend

Date: November 11, 2017 12:46PM

RawPracticalist
I will keep praying for the day
when

I will have

a Pink peppercorn

or
a Red dragon

or
a Mangosteen

or
a Durian
fruit

I will then be in Heaven

For now
All I have

are my unripe black
bananas

I almost can not aford to eat the healthy foods I like in the USA,
food prices make it realy tough for some people to get the healthy foods
i eat a good bit of fruit every day and id say I spend around one dollar on average a day for two of us.

Dragon fruit here in Vietnam right now is 79 cents usd a kilo
For about a dollar fifty in fruit would buy you in one day mixed friuts about 5 lbs. This country is fruit and veggie rich and still very cheap.
more and more tourist are coming to Vietnam for awesome foods, Fruits and vegie rich land. tourist also come here because you get the most for your dollar in this part of asia, Mostly chinese and russain tourist come to Vietnam.

Rawpracticalist pray and save your money and go to the yearly fruit feast in Ho Chi Minh city, that event like a trip to fruit heaven,
A flight from SFO is as cheap as 500 usd round tripto Ho Chi Minh airport if you searh internet for cheapest flight. China eastern or china airlines mostly best deals. hotels in Vietnam are cheap and clean. Its a great place to vacation if your low budget.
Vietnams fruits are just awesome, so many kinds.
The veggie world here is another story, again so many kinds, and so many differant kinds of leaves and other parts of plants banna leaves, stalk flowers stems flower salads.

Date: November 12, 2017 04:04AM

Good point riverhousebill

I am approaching retirement and will probably go to a tropical land and just back home. I have being growing sprouts and micro greens for years it will be better to grow my own greens and fruit trees.

In the end Fruit is The Food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 04:06AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: bertzy ()
Date: July 27, 2018 05:40PM

I like dragon fruit smoothie.

To make it you need:

Dragon fruit smoothie pack (frozen) – 1 pack (3.5 ounces)
Bananas (frozen) – 2 (large)
Pineapple (frozen) – 1/2 cup
Vanilla yogurt – 3/4 cup
Water (or juice) – 1/2 cup
Trail mix (or granola) – 2 tablespoons

Instructions:

Put 3.5 ounces of frozen dragon fruit smoothie pack into a blender.
Slice the bananas into pieces, and put them into the blender as well.
Next, chop the pineapple into pieces, and add them to the blender.
Pour 3/4 cup of vanilla yogurt on top of the pineapple and banana pieces.
Add two tablespoons of trail mix or granola to the mixture.
Close the lid of the blender and blend all the ingredients until the mixture becomes smooth. Add water for a thinner consistency.
dragon fruit smoothie
Your exotic smoothie is ready
Pour the smoothie into a glass.
Your delicious smoothie is now ready to be served!

Source

Posted by: brome ()
Date: July 30, 2018 05:48PM

Date: August 27, 2018 06:11PM

A delightful sweet and sour blend:

Organic Red raspberries 6 oz
1 red dragonfruit (1 pound or less)

For a little extra sweetness, I added some galia melon.

Eating this is one of life's delights.

This is human food at its best.

I just sent a prayer of thanks to the creator.

Life is not all sweet though. The bitter greens are even more healing.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 23, 2018 01:52AM

raw practicalist

I ate a dragon fruit. Just once.
I have never had a mangosteen though at least not that I recall. I have had a durian. Pink peppercorn? I don't know... maybe it was in my food ( or not).

Does that make me half way to heaven?

Date: November 23, 2018 05:24AM

La Veronique:
I ate a dragon fruit. Just once.

Tai

What color was it? Red dragon fruit is SO SO different from white. White is bland, but the red is SO delicious and sweet, just like a fruity bloody beet.

There is one more thing I have to add about red dragon fruit. It has a laxative effect, in a similar fashion to other cactus foods. The effect is far superior to prunes. When I eat dragon fruit, I usually eat two in a day (well over a pound).

Riverhousebill posted this above and I am copying it here again:

"Due its nutritional profile, dragon fruit can be used as a natural remedy for constipation. Dragon fruit seeds, in particular, appear to have strong laxative properties and can therefore be highly effective at at stimulating bowel movement. One of the nutrients that contributes to the laxative properties of the dragon fruit is fiber. A 100-gram portion of dragon fruit delivers 3 grams of fiber, which is equivalent to 12% of the daily reference value for dietary fiber. Furthermore, dragon fruit seeds contain polyunsaturated fatty acids which have been shown to exert laxative effects.:

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 25, 2018 08:19PM

Tai

The dragon fruit that I got was pinkish red. It was the first time I had it. It was REALLY refreshing and delicious. It was such a bright fuschia color. It was awesome! I don't think I've ever eaten such a brightly colored fuschia fruit before in my life. I sliced it and just admired the color for a while on my plate before I ate it. I got it from an asian store.

Date: November 24, 2019 06:53AM

I ate a yellow dragon fruit tonight for the first time. It has a bright yellow skin, but the peel looks different from the red dragon fruit. Inside is a white fruit with black seeds. I was disappointed to see the white color because I don't care for the white fleshed-red skinned dragon fruit. However upon tasting it, I instantly changed my mind. This fruit is SO sweet, far sweeter than any red dragon fruit I ever tasted. This yellow dragon fruit was TOO sweet to eat by itself so I cut up a red fleshed dragon fruit to eat with this yellow one and it's a good combo. The black seeds in the yellow dragon fruit are much larger than the seeds in the red dragon fruit, but they are equally easy to chew. It feels healthy to chew the seeds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables