Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hearty black sesame protein smoothie
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: November 27, 2017 11:44PM

I am inspired to share with you today because of one new ingredient that enabled me to make an amazing smoothie...dried mulberries.
Mulberries are not new to me. I used them for years in Chinese medicine. I even grew lavender mulberries and made juice with them and my favorite to buy in the farmers market are the Pakistani mulberries.
But today I had some organic dried white mulberries around and I added a handful to a sprouted black sesame milk I was making and it was so good that I started adding ingredients that would normally not be palatable and it turned into a delicious smoothie that would normally taste bitter and unappealing. I am going to list the ingredients as I added them, tasting it in between to make sure that all was still well:

-sprouted black sesame (over two cups)
- couple tablespoons of sprouted poppy seed
- two vanilla beans
- water
- blend to puree in vitamix

- handful white mulberries
- 4-5 dates
- splash of black cherry juice (bottled), optional, any fresh raw juice of your preference is best if available

The taste was so good, I decided to add protein powder
- about a cup of raw vegan protein powder (~8oz), more nutiva brand 15g hemp protein and a bit less Brazilian protein powder. Hemp is rich in iron and zinc and magnesium. Brazil nut protein is rich in selenium.
- tocotrienol powder (rice bran powder rich in vitamin e)

I added the whole 32 oz bottle of black cherry juice (100% juice)

I was working so much this month with a lot of traveling that I didn't eat very well. I woke up with a little back pain today and by the time I drank 20 oz of this drink, the pain was gone.

I have learned that if you blend fresh fruit into this kind of drink, it would get too thick, so I purposely did not add fruit, other than the dried mulberries and dates. If you wanted to add fruit, it's best to chop up fruit and stir it in by hand, but not blend it. But adding fruit to this is not necessary. It tastes good by itself.

I shared this drink with other people, by the way, it was not all for me.

Yesterday, I made a rich sprouted poppy seed smoothie and I added fruit and again, a little back pain I had was gone in an hour. I just need to increase my mineral levels after a month of lousy eating.

Some people think protein powders are not natural. With hemp protein, they are just squeezing out the oils and a bit of gritty fiber. How natural is it to raise an animal who wants to be your beloved friend and then slit it's throat in terror and then skin it and then deal with the waste organs inside and deal with the blood which could infect you, especially inhaling the blood and then dealing with the meat and then preserving it before it rots? How natural is that? Isn't it a little easier to just squeeze out the oils in hemp and brazil nut than doing all that to an animal who was supposed to be your friend? I don't agree that protein powders are not "natural".

Okay, so this kind of protein smoothie RIVALS meat and is superior to meat. Meat eaters can overdo protein and create too much acidity which can hurt their bones. So this kind of smoothie can help the bones and muscle. Meat is on my mind because I just ate thanksgiving with family and I was the only vegan again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hearty black sesame protein smoothie
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: November 28, 2017 03:37AM

Just an observation. Be careful with the rice bran because the metals accumulate there (arsenic, cadmium, lead). You won't see any studies as nobody eats that, but lack of studies does not mean it is clean. It is is rice form the south US it is even worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2017 03:40AM by Panchito.

Date: November 28, 2017 04:11AM

Panchito:
Just an observation. Be careful with the rice bran because the metals accumulate there (arsenic, cadmium, lead). You won't see any studies as nobody eats that, but lack of studies does not mean it is clean. It is is rice form the south US it is even worse.

Tai
Lou Corona was pushing tocotrienols, so I bought some jars. Some drawbacks include the particles being jagged and so it's a bit unpleasant in the mouth. It kind of reminds me of swallowing undercooked taro root, which has oxalic acid in the form of crystals that are very scratchy.

The other drawback is that the tocotrienols can oxidize, so make sure you will use the jar quickly after you open it.

But in general, Lou Corona is quite healthy, so there must be something positive, especially if it was made with organic rice.

Anyway, I won't be buying anymore because it's just too scratchy and can oxidize.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 28, 2017 06:50AM

Thanks Tai for sharing your experiences.

The beauty of the forum is in that approach.

I may never tried some of them but it is good to see how others are resolving the difficult issues of a balanced raw food diet.

For me for now it mostly micro greens, some stored bought veggies like celery and cucumber, and fruits. Some few nuts some days.

I have not noticed the need for protein supplements like hemp seeds but I may tried them.

Date: November 28, 2017 06:16PM

Raw Practicalist
For me for now it mostly micro greens, some stored bought veggies like celery and cucumber, and fruits. Some few nuts some days.

I have not noticed the need for protein supplements like hemp seeds but I may tried them.

Tai
You are lucky that you are so organized that you grow microgreens as your protein source. I am traveling and the most I can sprout is seed for a few days.

In order to know what one's needs are, one needs to understand their symptoms. If someone has low back pain and juices greens and it corrects it, great. Juicing like a pound of calcium rich leaves does that for me, such as kale. But it's good to understand quick alternatives, especially when a large ORGANIC supply is not available, like my recipe above.

If you use hemp seeds whole (shelled), you get the same protein, but you will have to consume a lot of fat, which isn't desirable if you have a sedentary job and don't need so many calories. For women, anyway, 15g hemp protein (fat and some fiber has been removed), is a decent source for protein and iron. I don't use it very often, just when I am feeling deficient.

Date: November 29, 2017 09:54AM

Tai

If you use hemp seeds whole (shelled), you get the same protein, but you will have to consume a lot of fat, which isn't desirable if you have a sedentary job and don't need so many calories. For women, anyway, 15g hemp protein (fat and some fiber has been removed), is a decent source for protein and iron. I don't use it very often, just when I am feeling deficient.

I micro grow sunflower, pea, lentil, arugula, and some buckwheat. The juice has a lot nutrients and is fresh. I add some fat like coconut oil or olive oil so maybe adding whole hemp seeds would be a better alternative with a good protein source, so I will order some shelled hemp seeds. That will make it into a complete meal.

Date: November 29, 2017 08:01PM

Raw Practicalist:
I add some fat like coconut oil or olive oil so maybe adding whole hemp seeds would be a better alternative with a good protein source, so I will order some shelled hemp seeds. That will make it into a complete meal.

Tai
Lou Corona teaches how to make Gorilla milk, which is 50% green juice and 50% nut/seed milk. You shake them both together, not blend in a blender.
He makes coconut almond milk, but you can make hemp milk too.

I make hemp seed dressing for my salads.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: November 30, 2017 03:55PM

Tai
I am inspired to share with you today because of one new ingredient that enabled me to make an amazing smoothie...dried mulberries.
Mulberries are not new to me. I used them for years in Chinese medicine. I even grew lavender mulberries and made juice with them and my favorite to buy in the farmers market are the Pakistani mulberries.
But today I had some organic dried white mulberries around and I added a handful to a sprouted black sesame milk I was making and it was so good that I started adding ingredients that would normally not be palatable and it turned into a delicious smoothie that would normally taste bitter and unappealing. I am going to list the ingredients as I added them, tasting it in between to make sure that all was still well:

-sprouted black sesame (over two cups)
- couple tablespoons of sprouted poppy seed
- two vanilla beans
- water
- blend to puree in vitamix

- handful white mulberries
- 4-5 dates
- splash of black cherry juice (bottled), optional, any fresh raw juice of your preference is best if available

The taste was so good, I decided to add protein powder
- about a cup of raw vegan protein powder (~8oz), more nutiva brand 15g hemp protein and a bit less Brazilian protein powder. Hemp is rich in iron and zinc and magnesium. Brazil nut protein is rich in selenium.
- tocotrienol powder (rice bran powder rich in vitamin e)

I added the whole 32 oz bottle of black cherry juice (100% juice)

I was working so much this month with a lot of traveling that I didn't eat very well. I woke up with a little back pain today and by the time I drank 20 oz of this drink, the pain was gone.

I have learned that if you blend fresh fruit into this kind of drink, it would get too thick, so I purposely did not add fruit, other than the dried mulberries and dates. If you wanted to add fruit, it's best to chop up fruit and stir it in by hand, but not blend it. But adding fruit to this is not necessary. It tastes good by itself.

I shared this drink with other people, by the way, it was not all for me.

Yesterday, I made a rich sprouted poppy seed smoothie and I added fruit and again, a little back pain I had was gone in an hour. I just need to increase my mineral levels after a month of lousy eating.

Some people think protein powders are not natural. With hemp protein, they are just squeezing out the oils and a bit of gritty fiber. How natural is it to raise an animal who wants to be your beloved friend and then slit it's throat in terror and then skin it and then deal with the waste organs inside and deal with the blood which could infect you, especially inhaling the blood and then dealing with the meat and then preserving it before it rots? How natural is that? Isn't it a little easier to just squeeze out the oils in hemp and brazil nut than doing all that to an animal who was supposed to be your friend? I don't agree that protein powders are not "natural".

Okay, so this kind of protein smoothie RIVALS meat and is superior to meat. Meat eaters can overdo protein and create too much acidity which can hurt their bones. So this kind of smoothie can help the bones and muscle. Meat is on my mind because I just ate thanksgiving with family and I was the only vegan again.

I suspect that when we drink or eat something and healing or pain cessation occurs, it's not that there is something in the food that is healing, but instead a dilution of toxins, hydration and in some cases a stoppage of cleansing symptoms. Can prove it by instead of drinking your drink, instead drink water.

Date: November 30, 2017 07:43PM

Fresh
I suspect that when we drink or eat something and healing or pain cessation occurs, it's not that there is something in the food that is healing, but instead a dilution of toxins, hydration and in some cases a stoppage of cleansing symptoms. Can prove it by instead of drinking your drink, instead drink water

Tai
That would be awesome if it were true. That would make being health super cheap. Just drink water and stay hydrated and avoid toxins. I wish! I really wish. You are correct in the sense that IF a person is dehydrated or toxic, then hydration and dilution will help. This should always be tried first. This should always be ruled out first. If a person doesn't try hydration and dilution first, they are wasting their time and money. A good example is high blood pressure. Dehydration and toxicity must be ruled out first. I helped a woman correct her HBP in 3 weeks with this model after 30 years of her taking HBP medication. But healing juices were required to clear out years of waste. Water was not sufficient. Anyway, very similar point.

I know a woman who regrew 3 discs in her back, after 9 children and 3 more adopted ones. It took 6 years of mega nutrition and herbs and bodywork. Could water do that? I have tons of stories of spine healing and it takes a lot of nutrition or herbal therapy. I know acupuncturists who try to heal these things with only acupuncture, but their success is limited to minor conditions. I have worked with things like stenosis, ruptured discs, herniated discs, broken vertebrae. herbs played a key role. Some foods are very potent, such as calcium rich juice from a twin gear juicer. Calcium rich seeds are good but high in calories so dosage is limited. I Could write for hours but gotta go.
yes, you are right INITIALLY, try hydration FIRST. Always try it first.

Date: December 02, 2017 10:19AM

Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear fruit, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing
Ezekiel 47:12

There are three kingdoms: the mineral, vegetable, and animal kingdoms. Each one uses the one below as food. The water in the mineral kingdom is inorganic, without life, it is given life thru the vegetable kingdom. The water (the juices) in the vegetable is more healing more a medicine than the water in the mineral kingdom.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 10:32AM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables