Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

passion fruit nutrition
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 03, 2017 05:22AM

I took out a jar of 6 month old passion fruit from the freezer and I made juice today with it. The antioxidant levels were high and I felt so good from it that I felt compelled to understand its antioxidants better. Everytime I left some juice in the refrigerator, it didn't mold, which told me it was unique. Of course if you leave a passionfruit on the ground long enough, it will mold. I am just saying that the juice is very stable compared to other freshly made fruit juice. Its antioxidants seemed to withstand the freezer.

Many Health Benefits of Passion Fruit consumption
[healthyeating.sfgate.com]

9 Surprising Passion Fruit Benefits

[www.organicfacts.net]

Passion Fruit 10 Amazing Health Benefits | Side Effect
[wiki-fitness.com]

Passion fruit nutrition facts

[www.nutrition-and-you.com]

Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of passion fruit (Passiflora edulis and Passiflora alata) extracts on stimulated neutrophils and myeloperoxidase activity assays
[www.sciencedirect.com]

This article says the rind is more potent, which is used in Chinese medicine for asthma

Health Benefits of Passionfruit
[juicing-for-health.com]
This article says it has sedative qualities. I believe that is only true for the leaves, not the fruit (people make a tea of the leaves).

Great pictures of the major varieties:
Passion fruit
[www.healthbenefitstimes.com]

Nutrition Data:

[nutritiondata.self.com]

THis data is less than what other sites say. Perhaps variety of fruit and nutrition of soil will affect nutritional values. My passion fruit seemed like it has more vitamins than this.

[www.nutrition-and-you.com]
--

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: passion fruit nutrition
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 03, 2017 08:12AM

>I took out a jar of 6 month old passion fruit from the freezer and I made juice today with it. The antioxidant levels were high

Most of these studies about the benefit of passion fruit are probably made from fresh non frozen fruits.

I used to freeze bananas for use with my smoothies and one day I took couple of them out but for some reason left them in a bowl by the blender for a hour or more doing something else. When they got unfrozen they were total unusable, watery, not the same banana I had put in. Since that day my freezer is empty until I bought some frozen durians the other day. I had read that freezing destroys nutrients but got convinced that day. I just buy the fruits in season.

I grew up in a small village in the forest, we did not have electricity, we were lucky we did not have a fridge, did not know if it even existed. My mother had to cook the same day or next the tomatoes and other veggies she got from the farm.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 09:06AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 03, 2017 03:21PM

I agree in general. The passion fruit was still attached to the seeds, so the membranes around each seed were still intact. I had placed the passion fruit in a mason jar with a tight lid. Moreover the fruit was to the top, so there wasn't much air. For all these reasons, the fruit was very well preserved and i could feel the antioxidants

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 03, 2017 07:22PM

There are probably many ways to reduce the damage of freezing.
It seems like foods like grapes and tomatoes that have more water do not survive well in the freezer while food with less water like
coconut and carrots come out undamaged

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2017 07:51PM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables