Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Grapefruit
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 22, 2018 01:22PM

In the past, I would juice citrus, but I have been eating my citrus lately, which has impressed me with more antioxidants in whole fruit than juice.
When i ate a lot of pink grapefruit, I felt my blood sugar lower noticeably, which I don't feel unless I fast. I also never felt that when I juiced grapefruit (along with oranges). Maybe because juice has more calories and fiber in whole fruit prevents over eating. The whole fruit has more phytochemicals though.
This reminded me of when a farmer told me his customer was cured of diabetes eating his oro blancos. She came every week and bought a lot from him.
So I looked into it.

This study showed more power with fresh grapefruit over grapefruit juice:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The effects of grapefruit on weight and insulin resistance: relationship to the metabolic syndrome.
Randomized controlled trial
Fujioka K, et al. J Med Food. 2006.
Show full citation
Abstract
To study the effects of grapefruit and grapefruit products on body weight and metabolic syndrome, 91 obese patients were randomized to either placebo capsules and 7 ounces (207 mL) of apple juice, grapefruit capsules with 7 ounces (207 mL) of apple juice, 8 ounces (237 mL) of grapefruit juice with placebo capsule, or half of a fresh grapefruit with a placebo capsule three times a day before each meal. Metabolic syndrome parameters were measured at the beginning and end of 12 weeks. After 12 weeks, the fresh grapefruit group had lost 1.6 kg, the grapefruit juice group had lost 1.5 kg, the grapefruit capsule group had lost 1.1 kg, and the placebo group had lost 0.3 kg. The fresh grapefruit group lost significantly more weight than the placebo group (P < .05). A secondary analysis of those with the metabolic syndrome in the four treatment groups demonstrated a significantly greater weight loss in the grapefruit, grapefruit capsule, and grapefruit juice groups compared with placebo (P < .02). There was also a significant reduction in 2-hour post-glucose insulin level in the grapefruit group compared with placebo. Half of a fresh grapefruit eaten before meals was associated with significant weight loss. In metabolic syndrome patients the effect was also seen with grapefruit products. Insulin resistance was improved with fresh grapefruit. Although the mechanism of this weight loss is unknown it would appear reasonable to include grapefruit in a weight reduction diet.
PMID 16579728 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Berkeley study
[www.prevention.com]

[news.berkeley.edu]

[journals.plos.org]

[diabetesnewsjournal.com]

In this study, the researchers administrated to one group of mice naringin, a bioactive compound in grapefruit juice that has been identified to induce loss of weight, and another group metformin, a glucose-lowering drug often prescribed to Type 2 diabetes patients.

“The grapefruit juice lowered blood glucose to the same degree as metformin,” said Prof. Napolli. “That means a natural fruit drink lowered glucose levels as effectively as a prescription drug,” added Prof. Prof. Napolli.

This study showed no difference between fruit and juice for weight loss
[www.prnewswire.com]

[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grapefruit
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 23, 2018 03:30PM

Interesting Tai.

Almost everything morning I have been making grapefruit smoothies for the last 3 weeks. I do remove the seeds first. I prefer grapefruits to oranges and I have been buying many. I take a couple of them and some oranges with me to work just for the juice. Much better than bananas. I will probably die from fruit sugar if Clement is right. But maybe I will go to Hell Heaven.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2018 03:32PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: January 24, 2018 03:28PM

At the RV park where I stay in Palm Springs for the winter they have Grapefruit and other citrus growing throughout the park which we are free to pick as well as organic dates for sale as the whole park is in an old date orchard.

If only this type of thing were put in place everywhere across the U.S.So close, yet so far...

Date: January 25, 2018 08:03AM

[www.tribestlife.com]

This is my citrus juicer. It's a joy to use. The better the machine, the easier and faster to use.

I am eating more citrus but this is how I juice.

There are two attachments. It has a small one for limes and lemons and a larger one for oranges, etc

Posted by: pacific ()
Date: January 29, 2018 05:14PM

NuNativs,

I live in Palm Springs full time. Would you like to meet? I would like to hear your experiences with being raw. I am transitioning from vegetarian to vegan to raw vegan.

-pacific

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: February 03, 2018 02:12AM

Tai
[www.tribestlife.com]

This is my citrus juicer. It's a joy to use. The better the machine, the easier and faster to use.

I am eating more citrus but this is how I juice.

There are two attachments. It has a small one for limes and lemons and a larger one for oranges, etc

Thanks, Tai - I want to get this juicer. I usually buy Whole Foods Fresh Squeezed OJ that you get out of their machine, but I wonder if it's cheaper to make your own. Btw, Whole Foods uses Organic Valencia oranges for their Fresh Squeezed OJ.

Date: February 04, 2018 05:47AM

Jennifer:
I want to get this juicer.

Tai
Congratulations because you will make a lot of juice with this one. I have used many different ones.

Jennifer
I usually buy Whole Foods Fresh Squeezed OJ that you get out of their machine, but I wonder if it's cheaper to make your own.

Tai:
Hands down, it's so much cheaper. And because it's so fast to make, there is no comparison with the retail price of citrus juice. The juice I buy is the tangerine juice from Trader Joe's which is supposedly unpasteurized. It's like $6 for a half gallon (64 oz). That juice is cheaper to buy than to make. I don't know how they can make it so cheap. I think it's only very seasonal. Sometimes I buy citrus juice from the farmers market when it's made on the spot.

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: February 06, 2018 12:10AM

The Whole Foods fresh squeezed orange juice is $12 for 64 ounces. The machine squeezes the oranges as you fill the container -

Have you ever had a citrus juicer where you didn't have to use your hands to hold the fruit, just press a button or something?

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 07, 2018 01:03AM

And the question becomes:

What do you do with so much juice when raw fruit juice will have already started to oxidize by the time you get home and that will greatly reduce the shelf life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2018 01:03AM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: March 02, 2018 03:50PM

Unless a person is a diabetic there is no need for this fixation on lowering blood sugar. There's plenty of borderline and outright hypoglycemics out there who need to bring their blood sugar up and keep it there and I don't mean diabetics who've taken too much insulin. I mean folks at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables