Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is There Life after 80?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 05, 2018 03:01AM

The final time I visited my father in Hong Kong, he was in his 80s. He said to me, with downcast eyes and great sadness, “My life is hopeless. I am just sitting here waiting to die.” This image has haunted me for years—is there life after 80? Can there still be hope and meaning even in our advanced years?
[www.drpaulwong.com]

Will raw and living food lifestyle change this trend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is There Life after 80?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 05, 2018 03:55AM

Check out this 82 year old Japanese man living naked on a deserted island. He is quite alive and grateful for life. Masafumi Nagasaki | The naked Japanese alone on a desert island for 29 years.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: July 10, 2018 01:02AM

Raw Practicalist

Tai
It could. But a person's will to live should transcend their environment. Some people have mastered a good environment. Like Annette Larkins has a wonderful garden in Florida and gets to eat ripe fruit and sprouts and is slowing down the aging process. But some seniors live in confined spaces without family support, so their will to live should come from something more intrinsic than mere food. Look how many old people just lose the will to live and die.

I developed many friends over the years whose most satisfying life began in their 70s when they started qigong. I met so many old Chinese people, mostly women but many men too, who started to youth practicing qigong (Falun gong). One lady in her 70s would have died had she missed one day's pills. She had so many health problems (she had lost some of her stomach from stomach cancer). Then within months, she was off her medication and she lived to her late 90s. I knew her since the 1990s. She got to travel to many countries with her new strength. So many old Chinese women and men got a second chance at life.

anyway, Raw practicalist, you are a good teacher, because you could teach the elderly how to grow microgreens and juice them in their own house, like wheatgrass. One russian lady I knew would go every year for 3 weeks to a wheatgrass spa called Optimum Health institute. She drank wheatgrass juice daily for 3 weeks there. The one year she missed going, she got a stroke! So sad. She was eating dairy, like yogurt daily (hindsight is 20/20 for her). Her stroke was embolic. Anyway, she should have been growing wheatgrass in her apartment. The elderly need special setups that make juicing very easy for them.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: July 14, 2018 02:53PM

The American Indians had a saying that a person's Life was short if they didn't Live well over 100 years of age. 80? That's nothing...

Date: July 15, 2018 02:56PM

True Tai, as we age, exercise and physical activities to keep the body in shape are critical.
If we have learned those techniques when we were younger it is even more easier to keep practicing as we age.

But some people age well no matter what they eat, I guess it is in the genes.

Secret to a long life? Eating cake and sweets like Masazo Nonaka, world’s oldest living man
Nonaka received the certificate from Guinness World Records in a ceremony at his home in Ashoro, on Japan’s northern main island of Hokkaido, and celebrated the recognition with a big cake. Born on July 25, 1905, Nonaka grew up in a large family and succeeded his parents running the inn.
[www.hindustantimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2018 02:57PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 16, 2018 12:56AM

At 66, and already living far longer than centuries of my forefathers,
I feel Im livng on borrowed time as it is, and that every day is a bonus.

Date: July 16, 2018 08:17AM

riverhousebill
At 66, and already living far longer than centuries of my forefathers,
I feel Im livng on borrowed time as it is, and that every day is a bonus.

Really?

That is pretty depressing.

I thought our own free life starts after 60. A life where we can engage in what we want.
Because we had been educated, we had children and they were schooled, married, and on their own, and we have finished working for others.

And because we have recovered our health by following a raw and living food life style, a new life begins.
No attachment, no party affiliation. Just the fulfillment our own inner dreams. And the abundant and joyful life with the grand children.

A new life, our own begins at 60.

Being born again is the goal.
The parents gave us life at the beginning.
We give ourselves life at 60.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 08:21AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: July 16, 2018 01:17PM

Being born again is the goal. ?

I dont find it to be depressing to think every day after sixty a bonus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 01:25PM by riverhousebill.

Date: July 16, 2018 01:50PM

Yes

We inherit from our family, our village, or the people who helped us grow up, and we have no choice but take all in.

As we mature we discover that most of the things we learned are no longer correct in our new environment, the world has changed.

And we need to change.

We make a choice to detach ourselves from the past.

It is the birth from water(raw and living and cleansing foods) and spirit (loving thoughts).

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God" John 3:5

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2018 01:51PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: July 17, 2018 12:41AM

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY CRAP… WHAT A RIDE!
-Hunter S Thompson

Date: July 17, 2018 02:56AM

Why suffer?

At 60 you can grow your own garden and make yourself a raw organic vegetable salad or smoothie or you can order a Kentucky fried chicken.

It is your choice.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: July 17, 2018 05:24AM

riverhousebill
Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY CRAP… WHAT A RIDE!
-Hunter S Thompson

C'mon....wrong man to quote...who killed himself.

Mickey Robinson, a sports parachutist, has a more inspiring story as a thrill seeker than Hunter. He had a NDE and came back a changed man.
[youtu.be]

Date: July 17, 2018 05:59AM

Tai
riverhousebill
-Hunter S Thompson

C'mon....wrong man to quote...who killed himself.

Mickey Robinson, a sports parachutist, has a more inspiring story as a thrill seeker than Hunter. He had a NDE and came back a changed man.
[youtu.be][/quote

I have to agree Tai, I did not know Hunter killed himself.

Makes his quote a Hypocrisy, But I have to say its been a hell of a ride so far.

Date: July 17, 2018 02:27PM

60 is mid-Life at best...

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 17, 2018 09:27PM

NuNativs

For a person dying at 120, 60 is mid-life. For a person dying at 50, 60 is not mid-life, actually 25 was.

Date: July 18, 2018 10:41AM

For the USA mid-life is about 40 as most live up to 80.

We have a long way to go.

Date: July 22, 2018 01:50PM

Prana
NuNativs

For a person dying at 120, 60 is mid-life. For a person dying at 50, 60 is not mid-life, actually 25 was.

That's my point. Health Nutz t.m., have a very poor track record of longevity...

Date: July 28, 2018 02:21PM

Yes 37 year more Chiyo shows us.

Wow just imagine what you could observe in A hundred and seventeen years on this Earth?

Chiyo Miyako, World’s Oldest Person, Dead At 117
Her family called her “the goddess,” and she was known for patience and kindness.

Date: July 28, 2018 04:54PM

I think we may need a new category: Oldest healthiest living person.

Then the question will be: how do we measure healthiest.

Chiyo Miyako at 117.

Healthiest:
[blameitonlove.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2018 05:09PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: July 29, 2018 05:13AM

I would think a reaching a ripe old age of 117 says something about about a persons health.

Her smile says somthing also. her face well 117

Date: July 30, 2018 01:51AM

There is a difference between chronological age and biological age. [www.verywellhealth.com]

Reaching old age is not enough.

Date: July 30, 2018 02:25AM

I think its enough if you are happy

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 13, 2018 08:04AM

The question was : Is there life after 80?

Well, check your pulse. If you have a pulse and you are past the age of 80 then there is indeed life after 80 and you are indeed in that realm called "Life".

It's really that simple.

Posted by: mattscr ()
Date: November 18, 2018 08:11AM

The sad fact is that for the majority of people, they have decades of chronic disease up until their death. It's not like this for everyone, especially those on a traditional Okinawan diet for example... but happiness can easily erode when your quality of life plummets.

A healthy vegan or raw food diet should significantly prolong healthspan (and even lifespan) so that most of your life is spent in good health right up until the very end (say, the last year or 2).

It's not just about being physically healthy though either. Good social connections are just as vital to health and longevity.

So yeah, life can definitely be good after 80, and in the future when we have age-reversal therapies (like senolytics), most people will think 80 is too short. Because 80 will be like today's 40. And that could happen within the next 15-20 years.

For me, 80 is way too short. And that's pretty much why I became health conscious in the first place from the age of 18.

-------------------------------------------
My blog: [www.crvitality.com]

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 12, 2019 04:18PM

RawPracticalist

The final time I visited my father in Hong Kong, he was in his 80s. He said to me, with downcast eyes and great sadness, “My life is hopeless. I am just sitting here waiting to die.” This image has haunted me for years—is there life after 80? Can there still be hope and meaning even in our advanced years?
[www.drpaulwong.com]

Looks like the article is not much more than an excuse for wheeling out that old bore, Viktor Frankl. Tell me, anyone, how am I to identify with anything this overpromoted writer of the doorstopper Man's Search for Meaning has to say? I need someone from my own culture.

About raw and health foods (and supplements) being an answer. Our ability here in N. Amerika to follow our diets is an anomaly in human history. We are so spoiled, we can find anything our hearts desire. Rich, "free", capitalist, global. I don't think this will last and therefore, I would say that in due course, we may not have all these choices anymore. Just by way of opinion. smiling smiley

PS. I sure love the video on the old Japanese living naked on an island.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2019 04:20PM by Horsea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables