Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Fattening" Raw Foods?
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: July 20, 2018 11:49PM

Hi guys,

I love the raw food diet and want to be 100% raw again so bad, but can't seem to eat enough or the right foods to keep from losing weight.

I'm going to try again. I'm trying to figure out a daily diet that incorporates all the heavy raw foods. This is what I have so far -

Bananas
Avocados
Fresh Figs
Seed butters (I prefer seeds to nuts)
Coconuts
Cashews
Root Vegetables
Dates

Is there any other fruit or vegetable that is dense? Are some seeds richer than others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Fattening" Raw Foods?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 22, 2018 06:16PM

Much has already been published on this topics in this forum and the net in general.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[rawfoodscotland.co.uk]

[www.fredericpatenaude.com]

[www.skinnylimits.com]

[www.onlymyhealth.com]

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 07:04PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: July 22, 2018 08:59PM

Thank you very much, RawPracticalist, for doing all that research for me! I read it all.

Lisa's advice here sounds like something I'd like to try -

2: I simplified my diet
Taking heed of my nutritionist’s advice, I began to eat much simpler food combinations. Instead of preparing complicated dishes (especially high-fat ‘gourmet’style ones), I would choose 2 or 3 ingredients and make a meal from them.

I learned about food combining and how to make it easy for the body to digest and assimilate foods. It made sense to me that if I was going to put on weight, I needed to help my body efficiently digest and assimilate the nutrients from the food I was eating. And one of the best ways to do that is to combine foods wisely; keeping fruits and fats separate, and eating lots of mono meals (one type of food at a time).

And this is just what I was looking for -

[www.skinnylimits.com]

Below, I have listed the most calorie dense raw whole foods that can be easily found in the average grocery store and farmer's market across America. And these foods are not just higher in calories than the average whole food, they contain quite a bit of fat as well. Exactly what one needs when trying to pack on the pounds and maintain them.

Calorie Dense Raw Whole Foods

Sunflower seeds
Chia seeds
Hemps seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Pecans
Pine nuts
Brazil nuts
Walnuts
Coconuts
Avocados
Bananas
Mangoes
Sweet potatoes
Dried fruits: figs, apricots, cranberries, prunes and grapes

And from here -

[www.onlymyhealth.com]

This was interesting because I was thinking of putting all the foods I'm going to eat for the day out on the table in the morning, maybe grouped by meals or something, but I can't explain why that would be of benefit psychologically -

"Make conscious effort:

Start by taking before and after pictures. One of the fastest ways to make something happen or to correct a habit is to be sure of it in reality and not be after the facts. According to The University of Wisconsin-Madison, 43 students who took part in the conscious experiment needed to take photos of their meals as well as snacks before they ate them. The researchers were able to draw the conclusion that taking photographs was more effective than keeping a food diary."

Now I have two new weight-gaining concepts and some foods to add to my list - pine nuts, mangoes, sweet potatoes, brazil nuts and dried fruit.

Thank you!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 23, 2018 01:59AM

Hi Jennifer,

I think any high calorie raw foods will help keep on weight, after a person's body has been raw for long enough. There's a long term raw foodist named Mark Tassi who if he eats too much fruit, he starts to put on weight. Myself, after the 10-year mark of being all raw, found I couldn't eat endless amounts of raw fruits and vegetables without getting supper full all the time and putting on weight.

If you've been eating a combination of raw and cooked foods, and you go to all raw, you may find yourself loosing weight, and find yourself needing to eat lots of raw foods to keep that weight on. But this will not last forever, and once your body has fully adjusted to being all raw (and this could be 10 years), you will not have to worry about being underweight. Of course, it helps if you are doing weight bearing exercise or physical activity/work that physically works your body enough that you build muscle.

Date: July 24, 2018 12:58AM

Thanks, Prana. I do remember reading that fruit is fattening. That's one reason I want to start now this summer to get all the good fresh fruit, especially I love the fresh figs. That's encouraging that after losing weight you gain some back. I think Lisa also spoke about that happening to her in one of her articles a while ago. I think that happened to me when I was all raw for ten years. But I didn't gain back to my original weight and still stayed too thin for my liking. But at this point, I'd rather be raw and thin and healthy than eat cooked and have a sexy curvy body - haha

You're amazing that you've been so successfully raw all these years. Great role model for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 12:59AM by Jennifer.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: July 24, 2018 10:41PM

Jennifer:
I think that happened to me when I was all raw for ten years.

Tai:
Wow, you must be a consummate pro. But since you are unfamiliar with some of these topics like the calories of fruit and absorption, and asking questions like, "Are some seeds richer than others?", what raw diet were you on? vegetarian? omnivore? It's okay to talk about your past diet if it wasn't vegan.

And yes some seeds are richer than others. Compare psyllium seed, which is cleansing to sesame seed which is more oily and calorie dense.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: July 25, 2018 12:04AM

Mark Tassi has NEVER put on weight. He's way too thin in my opinion...

Date: July 25, 2018 12:50AM

I was raw vegan for five years - that's when I lost a lot of weight. Then became raw vegetarian - I included raw goat milk - for five years. Then yo-yo - periods of all raw for months or years at a time, then cooked and raw for months, etc. The last three years, it's cooked and raw all the time because I wanted to look good - have a nice body. But - I think my face looks better all raw, a few years younger.

Date: July 25, 2018 01:04AM

In this video at 2:16 Mark Tassi says comparing now with when he started the fruit diet:

"It is very difficult for me to loose weight on the fruit diet...
Whereas in the beginning I could not keep my weight up...
My body could not assimilate what raw food had to offer..."

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 26, 2018 01:50AM

I wonder how old he is. It's interesting that he's a fruitarian and that he does dry fasting/intermittent fasting. I also don't eat or drink anything until 1:00, then I have my four glasses of water and then my green smoothie.

What he said about bowel movements not smelling bad - not to be gross, but I used to have that and my body was so pure my little girl once said to me when we woke up in the morning "Your breath smells good, like fruit." And if there was a strong smell in the air, I could taste it in my mouth, that's how pure my body was on all raw.

It would be great to be able to do a juice fast or eat a fruitarian diet for a period of time. But does this guy and the fruitarians get tested for deficiencies and do they take B-12 and Vitamin D supplements. That's what I ended up doing after ten years of all raw because of deficiencies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2018 01:57AM by Jennifer.

Date: July 26, 2018 10:00AM

The Amen Protocol - Cyclic and Intermittent Fasting

[www.clipzui.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.amentaeliteathlete.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2018 10:13AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: July 27, 2018 11:32PM

Thanks, that's interesting! About Vegan Strongman, Dr. Nun S. Amen Ra. But it turns me off that he believes in cooked food and doesn't eat raw. I couldn't understand a lot of the scientific/nutritional information he was giving, but I think he didn't like 'simple sugars'. Does that mean he doesn't think we should eat a lot of fruit or just not eat fruit with other food? I'd like to know what's in the Amino Acid Elixir that he drinks every day. Markus' girlfriend - I forgot her name - was looking good.

Date: July 31, 2018 08:05AM

>Thanks, that's interesting! About Vegan Strongman, Dr. Nun S. Amen Ra. But it turns me off that he believes in cooked food and doesn't eat raw.

His takes powdered vitamins and minerals.
He eats lot of dried fruits, nuts. They must be raw.

He avoids high water content raw food like fresh fruits.

His 3-part meal at the end of the day takes less than one hour.

The first part of the meal is a bunch of plant-based powdered vitamins, minerals and amino acids and protein formula that supplies all the nutrition needed for the day.

The main meal often has some form of nuts, beans, rice, soy etc. The main purpose of this part of the meal is to feel full and enjoy eating. (The real nutrition was in part one).

The third part of the meal is a simple desert, two favorites are nuts covered in dark chocolate or “peanut butter sandwich” made with crudely crushed peanuts and fruit preserves.

A simple stress-free life (he trains some people who are seriously committed to this) and gets paid for his books on a donation basis. He has written ten donation-based books detailing each aspect of the lifestyle. These books are very scientifically wordy and not for anyone wanting a quick fix, they are only for serious people with a lot of discipline.

His website is AmentaEliteAthlete.com Please be respectful and only contact him if you are serious, not just a curiosity seeker looking for a quick answer to your problems. Dr. Amen-Ra has a monk-style life and values his peace.
[markusrothkranz.com]

The foods he eat cooked are the rice and beans and they are not a big part of his diet.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 08:31AM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables