Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flower Power-Nutritional Value Of Banana Flower:
Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: July 31, 2018 09:06AM

Besides being a super health food the taste is wonderful,
I hope you can find banana flower in USA.

And yes flower can be eaten raw.

7 Amazing Health Benefits Of Banana Flowers
January 10, 2018 by Namita

The banana tree is the ideal to look up to when it comes to a ‘no wastage’ policy! Almost all parts of the banana tree can be used. The most obvious is the fruit—bananas that we eat almost daily. But, other parts of the tree also offer many health benefits!

Both the South Asians and Southeast Asians use banana flowers as a vegetable. They use it either raw or steamed with dips. They also use those in soups, curries and fried foods. The flavor resembles that of artichoke. Like artichokes, both the fleshy part of the bracts and the heart are edible.

Nutritional Value Of Banana Flower:

As per the African Journal of Biotechnology, 100g of banana flower offers the below mentioned nutrition:

51 kcal
1.6g of Protein
0.6g of Fat
9.9g Carb
5.7fgof Fiber
56mg of Calcium
73.3mg of Phosphorous
56.4mg of Iron
13mg of Copper
553.3 mg of Potassium
48.7mg of Magnesium
1.07mg of Vitamin E
[ Read: Benefits Of Banana Peels ]

Benefits Of Banana Flowers:
Banana flowers are called banana hearts for a reason! These flowers are pretty, but you should not dismiss them as merely decorative elements. Tey have a host of health benefits too!

Some of the health benefits of banana flowers are:

1. Wards Off Infections:
Banana flowers treat infections, thanks to their ethanol based extracts. Banana flower inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacterias. Some of them are bacillus subtalis, bacillus cereus, and escherichia coli. Banana flower also helps heal the wounds. According to a study, banana flower extracts can also inhibit the growth of the malarial parasite plasmodium falciparum in vitro. These claims are yet to be proven.

[ Read: Benefits And Uses Of Banana For Health ]

2. Reduces Free Radical Activity:
The presence of free radicals in the body can cause serious problems. Fortunately, the extracts of methanol present in banana flower possess antioxidant properties. These flowers perfectly handle free radicals that cause damages to the body. It treats many health issues, such as premature aging and cancer. To make the full use of the antioxidant property of these flowers, include in health supplements.

3. Reduces Menstrual Bleeding:

Menstruation brings pain inmany women. Some suffer from severe PMS symptoms, while others bleed excessively. A cup of cooked banana flowers can help deal with these problems. Cooked banana flowers along with curd or yogurt increases the progesterone hormone in the body and reduces bleeding.

4. Manages Diabetes And Anemia:
Calculated intake of banana flowers reduces blood sugar levels. It also increases the total hemoglobin levels in the body. However, as with antimicrobial activity, the hypoglycemic effects of banana flowers haven’t proven clinically.

5. Rich Source Of Vitamins And Minerals:

Banana flowers contain various vitamins like Vitamin A, C, and E. They also contain potassium and fibers. This makes them an excellent health food and a source of healthy nutrients.

[ Read: Benefits Of Banana Juice For Health ]

6. Boosts Mood And Reduces Anxiety:

Don’t reach for an anti-depressant, if you are feeling down and out! Try banana flowers instead! Since they contain magnesium, banana flowers reduce anxiety and boosts the mood. They are natural anti depressants without any side effects.

7. Helps Nursing Mothers:
New mothers face many problems when it comes to breast feeding. One of the major problems that they face is dwindling milk supply. Banana flowers boost the supply of milk that helps the new mothers feed their young better.

These are some of the benefits of banana flowers. When combined with bananas, you can reap all the wonderful health benefits they have to offer.

Do you include banana flowers in your diet? How do you use them? Let us know in the comments section below.

Feedback
share-on-pinterest

The following two tabs change content below.
Bio
Latest Posts

Namita
Hello there smiling smiley *waves* Namita here - 19, from Bangalore. Aquarian. Engineer in making. Standard Indian Height. Loves to pose and pout :3 I blog about everything grinning smiley You can find product reviews, book reviews, DIYs, home remedies, recipes, fashion related articles, Outfits of the Days, rants and lots more! Oh, I am a creative writer too smiling smiley
RELATED ARTICLES
614_15 Amazing Health Benefits Of Red Banana_233050750
15 Amazing Health Benefits Of Red Banana
8 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Green Bananas
8 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Green Bananas
33-Amazing-Benefits-Of-Banana-For-Skin,-Hair,-And-Health
33 Amazing Benefits Of Banana For Skin, Hair, And Health
Is Banana Stem Juice Effective For Kidney Stones And Weight Loss?
Is Banana Stem Juice Effective For Kidney Stones And Weight Loss?
6 Amazing Benefits Of Banana Juice For Skin, Hair And Health
6 Amazing Benefits Of Banana Juice For Skin, Hair And Health
Can I Eat Bananas If I Have Diabetes?
Can I Eat Bananas If I Have Diabetes?
realted-article-image
10 Amazing Benefits Of Banana Oil For Your Skin And Hair

HOTPICKS
10-Natural-Ways-To-Straighten-Your-Hair
10 Natural Ways To Straighten Your Hair
23 Homemade Besan Face Packs For All Skin Types
23 Homemade Besan Face Packs For All Skin Types
15 Homemade Face Packs For Acne Free Skin
15 Homemade Face Packs For Acne Free Skin
50-Quick-And-Easy-Hairstyles-For-Girls
50 Quick And Easy Hairstyles For Girls
hot-pick-image
Simple Nail Art Design – Step by Step Process for Creating Comic Pop Art
40 Stylish Updos For Medium Hair
40 Stylish Updos For Medium Hair

MOST POPULAR
What Are The Top Acidic Foods You Should Avoid
What Are The Top Acidic Foods You Should Avoid?
What Are Amino Acids Top 8 Benefits And Food Sources
What Are Amino Acids? Top 8 Benefits And Food Sources
Benefits Of Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil That Will Blow Your Mind!
Benefits Of Cannabidiol (CBD) Oil That Will Blow Your Mind!
7 Benefits Of The Versatile Vetiver Oil
7 Benefits Of The Versatile Vetiver Oil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flower Power-Nutritional Value Of Banana Flower:
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: August 01, 2018 12:51AM

One time I tried the nectar drops from the banana flowers and it was the best tasting substance ever. I grew bananas and I always saw the hummingbirds drink the nectar. One day, I took the nectar drops from each flower. It was heavenly. The next day, the hummingbird flew in front of my face and did the angriest dance ever. Before he would fly to my face to say hello. This time, he made 100% clear that he was furious with me. He was enraged with me. I stole his nectar. He made it clear that was HIS nectar I was never to touch ever again. It makes sense in the end: the nectar was for the hummingbirds and the fruit is for humans and perhaps some animals. So, the moral of the story is don't pick the flowers until the hummingbirds get the nectar first in your garden, or if it's commercial, I guess it doesn't matter.

In the Asian stores, they sell the banana flowers before they even open, so they are immature. I never tried them because it's a giant bud that looks like a mystery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 01:02AM by Tai.

Re: Flower Power-Nutritional Value Of Banana Flower:
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: August 01, 2018 11:02AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables