Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thoughts on Andrew Perlot's protein change?
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: September 30, 2018 10:41PM

Andrew Perlot is someone I never looked into much but I am intrigued by him now because he suffered from colitis, just like Vegetable POlice, and Andrew was forced to increase his protein intake, he felt, because of a few bone fractures. He struggled with colitis with increased higher protein foods and then normalized with certain food processing techniques. Meanwhile Vegetable Police is on some clickbait frenzy making sensational shocking diet videos while just not talking about successful vegans who successfully manage their colitis with a vegan diet.

Anyway, from what I read, Andrew adopted a raw vegan, high fruit diet to heal his colitis and it worked. But when he ate a cooked vegan diet, it came back. then he learned certain food processing techniques to keep it bay while still eating higher protein. The raw diet was great for his colitis but he felt it didn't provide enough protein for increased strength. Now he feels stronger with more protein and when he had a bad fall recently, he didn't have any broken bones.

What do you think about Andrew Perlot's change to 1.2 g protein/kg body weight?

[renaissancehumans.com]

But then he also says this:

How Much Protein Do Athletes And Fitness Enthusiasts Need?
1.6 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight for those eating at weight maintenance or a slight caloric surplus will maximize the strength and muscle mass increases brought about by exercise.

He makes his argument here:
[renaissancehumans.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on Andrew Perlot's protein change?
Date: October 02, 2018 12:49AM

I am going to try almost all raw protein sources and see what I can eat in a day.

i just mixed up a container of 15g hemp protein powder with 4 bananas and about a half pound of dates, with a little coconut manna and cacao and it's about 225 g protein just with the powder. I didn't calculate the other food. I will see if i can finish it in a week. I put too many dates, so it's too sweet, but I am eating it with tart fruit, so it's okay. I made it this way to preserve it for a few days. I added no water and the bananas were firm not mushy, so there is not going to be liquid present to mold it before I finish eating it.

I am also going to eat 3 ounces of natto perhaps daily, which has living culture so it's technically a living food, which is 15 g of protein.

between the hemp protein and a little serving of natto, it's easy to get in 45 g protein right there daily. Then having a big daily salad or just eating romaine hearts or green smoothies or green juices can cover the other protein.

Can I get in 73 g raw/mostly raw protein daily? we shall see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 01:04AM by Tai.

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: October 17, 2018 04:38AM

It's fine that he wants to do that but there is no reason to do it for bone strength or muscular strength.
My sister broke her collar bone badly while on a low fat raw vegan diet and the doctors said that her bone mended rapidly, as though she were a young, young person, which indicates that bone health was optimum.
I'm actually a big fan of Andrew Perlot, but I disagree with him on this (and he even acknowledges that he is not certain that his bone fractures had anything to do with diet). The thing is, he got really into doing all these gymnastic sports and taking falls, so it's not surprising that he suddenly ended up with some breaks.

Date: October 18, 2018 08:47PM

doghouse reilly:
(and he even acknowledges that he is not certain that his bone fractures had anything to do with diet). The thing is, he got really into doing all these gymnastic sports and taking falls, so it's not surprising that he suddenly ended up with some breaks.

Tai
yes, but he said that he had 3 fractures while on low fat raw and then he took a bad fall while on higher protein and he didn't break a bone, so although he can't prove anything publicly, it was proof to himself.

The raw vegan protein powders are not just pure protein. Like the nutiva hemp 15g protein has concentrated iron and zinc and other minerals. Brazil nut protein has high selenium. The isolated protein powders are a different story.

By the way, it took me far longer than a week to finish that protein blend I made. It was too sweet with too many dates, so I finally learned to make some chai tea and then stir in a chunk and then it wasn't too sweet. After that, I got in the habit of having it every morning and I liked this method because I could have the protein without having to get my blender dirty.

Lou Corona told me that he believed fruit should be limited. He eats a lot of fruit but he doesn't promote a fruit-based diet. When you think about how many calories it takes to get in enough protein, then it makes sense that fruit has to be limited or there will be a calorie overload for the average sedentary person. lou corona's introduction to the raw vegan diet was to eat only green leaves and nothing else, and they were bitter like dandelions.

I think that there are so many lessons of a fruit-based diet for healing. Ironically Robert Morse advocates resting and not exercising too much when healing. So there simply are not high protein needs for someone who is healing and restoring their body and high fruit is sufficient. But for someone like Andrew Perlot who felt he needed more protein for strength, he had to exchange some high carb stuff for more protein based foods. Andrew had already put years into the high fruit diet for healing his colitis.

Anyway, I took his point about the elderly needing more protein.

Lastly, HHI found that 80% raw 20% cooked does not compromise the immune system. So that 20% cooked is where the extra protein can come in for certain people. Obviously the cooked part is not necessary for some people. Annette Larkins is the modern day example of an elderly person thriving on all raw. she is eating higher protein. She has jars of bean sprouts in her fridge and tons of microgreens growing. And we know from the followers of Ann Wigmore and people like Raw practicalist and Sproutarian Man that men can thrive this way too. I knew a raw vegan Ann wigmore follower and he lived on her energy soup and he was an avid tennis player and didn't lack any protein....John Rose is a tennis player too and is doing high fruit and doing well. Andrew's point is that his strength increased with more protein and he was able to perform things he couldn't do with less protein.

I don't buy into the animal protein model because I knew a young man that got liver cancer doing his body building with animal protein 3 times a day. He only got well doing a juice fast for 7 months and doing raw vegan for years. Some people are genetically gifted to withstand high animal protein, but the China Study explains what happens to the unlucky ones on high animal protein.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2018 09:42PM by Tai.

Date: October 18, 2018 09:51PM

Regarding unlucky...just look at the cancer statistics. Once a person has cancer, high animal protein promotes tumor growth (high meaning over 5% of total calories). Vegan protein does not have this effect. I think Dr. McDougall says isolated soy protein is an exception.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables