Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is your opinions on lab grown meat?
Posted by: mattscr ()
Date: November 18, 2018 08:28AM

I'm very interested in technology and how it can minimize the suffering of animals in the future. Personally, I don't even like the taste of meat, so artificial meat isn't that interesting to me, but perhaps it's progress in a sense, as the world moves more towards veganism.

So, I'm doing a bit of research for a blog post, and I'd like to hear some of your thoughts. I just want to get a general consensus or feeling about what you guys think.

The animal is involved in the process by simply having a muscle biopsy done under local anesthesia and then grown using growth serums, among other processes to grow it.

Is lab meat a positive thing in your mind? Is it ethical? Would you support it if it's the only alternative thing most people are willing to do... It would effectively close down mass farming of animals.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
My blog: [www.crvitality.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is your opinions on lab grown meat?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: November 18, 2018 05:40PM

I do not eat meat do not think it is necessary but millions are eating meat and it is has huge destructive effects on the planet so anything that can help improve the situation is a huge win.

The animal is not killed but we need more details to make a sound judgement.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: November 19, 2018 03:41AM

Frankenstein science. I could never support the development of such science that will eventually push human cloning.

People need to wake up to ethics and morality.

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: November 19, 2018 04:39AM

First off eating Meat period is a lot of Bull!

If its flesh it was or is a thinking feeling animal

under local anesthesia and then grown using growth serums, among other processes to grow it. better living threw chemistry??? muscle biopsy?

Tai hit it on the head Frankenstein science

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 04:40AM by riverhousebill.

Date: November 20, 2018 12:51PM

Life on earth goes thru evolution moving from period of great evil to period of less evil.

King Solomon had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines but he was considered a man of God during his time.

At our current time even two wives is not acceptable because we have evolved.

Most of us ate meat when were growing up and we accomplished great things as do most of the great inventors the world has known.

Millions of people are eating meat, did I say billions?

This has destructive impact on the environment, any solution that can bring back life of the forest, the animals, the environment for good air and ecosystem is a win.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2018 12:51PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: November 21, 2018 07:31PM

Thanks for the comments so far!

@riverhousebil

It's just cultured stell cells or progenitor cells - not a "thinking animal". The adult stem differentiates into myocytes and other types of cells when given growth serums and nutrients.

Apparently, even PETA supports it. You can see more on it here
[www.youtube.com]

Cloning is a completely different issue.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 21, 2018 08:17PM

I have no desire to eat meat, but if I were a meat eater, I wouldn't trust lab-grown animal flesh.

Date: November 22, 2018 08:40AM

I watched that video that Matt posted and it said that a pound of lab meat costs several thousand to make AND it requires animal blood to grow.

I don't want to be hypocritical and knock labs entirely. We need good science to combat the evil science. Labs make synthetic taurine, which is what we feed to cats. Labs isolate B-12. But I remember that the sproutarian man found a Korean dish that was loaded with B-12, because it was fermented for so long in a traditional way. In other words, humans don't have to rely on labs to be healthy vegans. Labs just make getting B-12 convenient. To me, evolving as a human means transcending science, not becoming more reliant on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2018 08:54AM by Tai.

Date: November 24, 2018 01:37AM

In the beginning the Church was against Science ...

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 01, 2018 12:38PM

There are a few interesting things about this. If someone were vegan just against animal harm, this would remove most objections, save the initial start of the culture. Would be interesting to know if meat 'without harm' is still harmful physically. It would still be devoid of fiber, still have cholesterol, saturated fat I would assume, and probable heme iron. Uric acid? Would there still be 'karma' metaphysically?

Date: December 03, 2018 03:11AM

@Tai

The cost is coming down considerably. From a wiki article on the topic:

"Going from roughly over $300,000 to $11.36 in just 3 and a half years. This cost is now only 9-10 times more expensive per pound than standard ground beef."

[en.wikipedia.org]

I think from a health point of view, it's difficult to say right now. Of course, they could make it lean, but there is the issue with it still being animal protein, even if it's more ethical.

I don't know if any of you have been following recently, but there's been some interesting research showing that low protein diets might be much more healthy and mimic some of the effects of CR.

While probably not surprising to people around here, many experts involved in the field of aging (check out Valter Longo's work) are now advising eating not much more than the minimum 0.8 grams of protein per kg.

High protein diets elevate mTOR, increase the risk of cancer and accelerate aging. So, a high protein diet (or meat-heavy diet) could still have negative health effects. Plant proteins, in general, are far healthier and have a less stimulating effect on IGF1/insulin pathway.

-------------------------------------------
My blog: [www.crvitality.com]

Date: December 03, 2018 05:30AM

to Matt, I super enjoyed reading yours and Arugula's perspectives on this forum in the past, as you were both into CR. i hope you share more in the future.

matt;
I think from a health point of view, it's difficult to say right now. Of course, they could make it lean, but there is the issue with it still being animal protein, even if it's more ethical.

Tai:
they use animal blood to grow it!

Matt:
I don't know if any of you have been following recently, but there's been some interesting research showing that low protein diets might be much more healthy and mimic some of the effects of CR.

While probably not surprising to people around here, many experts involved in the field of aging (check out Valter Longo's work) are now advising eating not much more than the minimum 0.8 grams of protein per kg.

High protein diets elevate mTOR, increase the risk of cancer and accelerate aging. So, a high protein diet (or meat-heavy diet) could still have negative health effects. Plant proteins, in general, are far healthier and have a less stimulating effect on IGF1/insulin pathway.

Tai:
Great to hear this. I will be checking out your blog. The paradox of being an athlete, as Andrew Perlot has found out, is that there are higher protein needs yet athletes experience accelerated aging. Just because athletes need more protein doesn't mean everyone should follow suit. Have you read his articles and what do you think of his conclusions about protein?

Just compare Annette larkins, a raw vegan who has aged so gracefully and beautifully, to her husband, who was a butcher and hard core meat eater. People mistake him for her father, because he looks so much older than her. late in life, he regretted that he didn't follow her diet sooner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 06:09AM by Tai.

Date: December 03, 2018 09:28AM

I totally agree but I would like to add another point.

It is true that diet and exercise have a huge impact on how we look as we age but some people are born small body type and naturally beautiful. That is the case of Annette Larkins. Her husband is the opposite, big body type and worse he is not on raw food.

Annette Larkins is 58

Halle Berry is 52 she is not on raw food but she is naturally small and beautiful

Date: December 03, 2018 11:00AM

I don't think you have the right age for her picture. This is Annette larkins at 76 years old. look at her arms. The raw vegan diet is CR to some degree the way she eats it.

[www.youtube.com]

her husband's face just shows advanced aging from his diet, in my opinion.

Date: December 03, 2018 12:29PM

Tai you are correct I got her age wrong and probably the wrong picture.

But the point I am trying to make is that the body type is critical in the aging process, it is not just diet. Some body type do not age that fast even if they are not on raw food.

Here is Sophia Lauren at the recent Oscar at 84 years

The same will be the case for the Eva Longoria of the world.

Even on this forum, we can see that some members who are on 100 percent raw diet and do juice fast frequently can be matched well against regular small body type people who are not on raw food. What raw food does though is that the mind remain alert, healthy, the bone structure is well maintained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 01:09PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 04, 2018 01:57AM

Tai

<< But I remember that the sproutarian man found a Korean dish that was loaded with B-12, because it was fermented for so long in a traditional way>>

Which dish is that? Is that just kim chi?

Date: December 05, 2018 09:45AM

La Veronique
Which dish is that? Is that just kim chi?

Tai:
I don't have time to do a search. I did find this from Prana:

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 09, 2013 03:43AM

Interesting that Doenjang, a fermented soybean product made with bacillus subtilis, the same bacteria used to make natto, can have more than 4 mcg b-12 in a 100 gram serving.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 05, 2018 10:57PM

Tai

That is very interesting. Wow.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: December 10, 2018 05:57PM

I think it sounds completely disgusting but IF it helps to reduce pain, suffering, and the use of antibiotics, hormones and pesticides (GMO, RoundUp-laced feed), then I'd be for it. I don't think people will ever stop eating meat so maybe this is the best compromise.

www.phytopanacea.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables