Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raisin debacle
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: January 01, 2019 06:45PM

Looking for honest and subjective thoughts on R A I S I N S.

david

Re: Raisin debacle
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 03, 2019 05:05AM

DVDAI,
what would you like to know? Make sure to get unsulfured and organic raisins.
The same cautions would apply to raisins as any dried fruit: take care that they don't damage your teeth. If you were to use them as a high calorie source, consider rehydrating them, so they wouldn't stick to your teeth.

I remember reading an article of a black fruitarian bodybuilder and he was using raisins the way some runners used dates. He ate a lot of raisins for calories.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 19, 2019 04:33AM

Its fun making your own.
Get organic raisins.

Cut them in slices.

Dehydrate them.

Tastes pretty awesome.

I forget which kind I used.

I'd like to try the Concord grapes next time and I would have to deseed them before I slice them too.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 10, 2019 12:15AM

Check the label, because nowadays many brands of raisins (including organic and bulk) are adding oil to avoid clumping. If there's nothing on the label for the bulk item, check with the store to make sure. If it looks shiny, good chance you're getting oil with your raisins (sorry, sigh).

But then again, if you don't mind the oil, at least the organic raisins are using organic oil.

Last time I checked, Sun Maid was the only variety I could find without oil (but it's not organic).

Does anyone know of an organic brand of raisins that doesn't come with oil? La Veronique has a good solution IMO: make your own if can.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 12:25AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: March 10, 2019 03:59PM

suncloud
Last time I checked, Sun Maid was the only variety I could find without oil (but it's not organic).

Tai
is that because you are in Hawaii?
In california, we have so many options plus they sell them at the farmer's market

My new favorite raisins: wine raisins

Sorry, Sun-Maid: Wine Grapes Make Much Better Raisins

September 14, 2017
By Dan Myers Editor
A new company is turning cabernet, merlot, and chardonnay into some seriously tasty raisins
For as long as anyone can remember, there have been two types of raisins: dark raisins and golden raisins. And it’s not like golden raisins are made with different grapes; they’re actually treated with sulfur to remove the purple color (and oddly enough, most commercial raisins are made with the Thompson Seedless variety, which is actually white). So we were pretty excited to learn about the new raisins on the block: They’re called RayZyns, and they’re actually made with wine grapes.
RayZyns are made with California-grown wine grapes, and are available in cabernet, merlot, and chardonnay varietals (chocolate-covered CabernayZyns are also available). The flavor of these raisins is definitely a lot more intriguing than their more generic counterparts, as you can actually taste differences between them (it’s also interesting to compare the dried grape to the resulting wine).

But the big difference between these grapes and traditional ones is the fact that they still contain their seeds, and the way that they’re dried also toasts the seed, allowing it to be eaten as well. Not only does the seed give the grape an unexpected crunch (it takes some getting used to, but once you do it’s not unwelcome), it’s also loaded with antioxidants. RayZyns contain 93.91 milligrams of antioxidants per 100 grams (each pack contains 18 grams), versus common seedless raisins’ 0.1 milligrams; 100 grams of wine contains 3.79 milligrams of antioxidants.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 17, 2019 09:30AM

Thanks Tai! Sorry it took so long to get back, but I see you're right about Hawaii when it comes to raisins. I did find one organic brand online though: Eden Foods, and hopefully there are more!

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: May 12, 2019 07:32PM

Nice, i'll have to see if wine grape/raisins are available in my area

Tai
suncloud

Tai
is that because you are in Hawaii?
In california, we have so many options plus they sell them at the farmer's market

My new favorite raisins: wine raisins

Sorry, Sun-Maid: Wine Grapes Make Much Better Raisins

September 14, 2017
By Dan Myers Editor
A new company is turning cabernet, merlot, and chardonnay into some seriously tasty raisins
For as long as anyone can remember, there have been two types of raisins: dark raisins and golden raisins. And it’s not like golden raisins are made with different grapes; they’re actually treated with sulfur to remove the purple color (and oddly enough, most commercial raisins are made with the Thompson Seedless variety, which is actually white). So we were pretty excited to learn about the new raisins on the block: They’re called RayZyns, and they’re actually made with wine grapes.
RayZyns are made with California-grown wine grapes, and are available in cabernet, merlot, and chardonnay varietals (chocolate-covered CabernayZyns are also available). The flavor of these raisins is definitely a lot more intriguing than their more generic counterparts, as you can actually taste differences between them (it’s also interesting to compare the dried grape to the resulting wine).

But the big difference between these grapes and traditional ones is the fact that they still contain their seeds, and the way that they’re dried also toasts the seed, allowing it to be eaten as well. Not only does the seed give the grape an unexpected crunch (it takes some getting used to, but once you do it’s not unwelcome), it’s also loaded with antioxidants. RayZyns contain 93.91 milligrams of antioxidants per 100 grams (each pack contains 18 grams), versus common seedless raisins’ 0.1 milligrams; 100 grams of wine contains 3.79 milligrams of antioxidants.

david

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables