Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Acidic
Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 11, 2007 04:54AM

Today, while waiting at the health food store for my wheat grass shot, an Iridologist told me that I was acidic, by observing my eyes. Not sure how accurate this is, but if he is indeed right, what steps should I take to heal this condition?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Acidic
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 11, 2007 05:04AM

Before you do anything, you can test the pH of your saliva and urine with litmus paper, and see if the pH is acidic or alkaline. If it is alkaline, you don't have to do anything.

Things that acidify the body:
Animal products
Grain products
High protein and high fat foods (excess amino ACIDS and excess fatty ACIDS).

Things that alkalize the body:
Greens
Fruits

Thats it. Reduce the things that acidify, increase the things that alkalize.

Date: January 11, 2007 05:43AM

I was eating a ton of nuts, seeds when I first became raw (prepared deli raw dishes). I rarely felt bad before I went raw, but I ate a really healthy, clean organic diet. I think I over did it with the nuts and seeds. Also, at the beginning of my raw diet, I drank 32 oz of orange juice a day, and then my hair started to fall out. Never happended before, so maybe it was a mix of too much of a good thing, OJ, and nuts and seeds.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 11, 2007 06:43AM

bryan,

once again you rule

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 11, 2007 10:53AM

>High protein and high fat foods (excess amino ACIDS and excess fatty ACIDS).

They are acidifying not because they are acids but because of the net effects on the kidney. Citrus fruits are acid but have a net alkaline effect.

One equation currently used is here.

But this equation does not take into account the differences between animal and vegetable proteins. In this context, the sulfur amino acid content (a gross indicator of the animal protein content of the diet) is much more important than the non-sulfur amino acid content of one's food. But grains, which do not have acidic pH also have a net acid effect because of their mineral profile.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 11, 2007 10:58AM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are acidifying not because they are acids but
> because of the net effects on the kidney. Citrus
> fruits are acid but have a net alkaline effect.

But the letters were capitalized! I personally found that very compelling and am not impressed with your fancy formula.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: January 11, 2007 03:08PM

Another way to tell if you are very acidic, is water retention. If you are retaining water you are acidic because your body is attempting to neturalize the acidity.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 11, 2007 03:21PM

Wakame is the king af alkaline foods. An excerpt from LIVING ON LIVE FOOD.

Date: January 11, 2007 04:21PM

Wow, thank you guys for some excellent info! Haven't tryed Sea veggies much, but I am intrested in adding them if I can find some good recipes.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 11, 2007 04:23PM

One thing about checking your pH. Gabriel Cousens says to get 24 hours worth of urine samples. From the second urination of one day to the first of the next day. That's because the pH could go up or down during the day. So to get an average for the day, get a whole day's worth and mix it all up. It might not be feasible. But that was his suggestion in Conscious Eating. Makes sense to me but, I don't know, maybe it's not so important.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: January 11, 2007 05:25PM

I would recommend that you verify whether or not the information you got from the iridologist was in fact accurate. I have had two iridology readings, and both of them were completely off base and full of inaccuracies. Not to say that all iridologists are incompetent, but some might be. Just my own experience.

Also, one thing I was told by my naturopath is that the PH of your urine can be a bit off from your actual PH. Reason is that if you have any extra acidity in your body, it will be eliminated in your urine. Therefore, it is possible to get a reading that shows acidity when in fact you are just eliminating. So the advice to do mulitiple tests makes sense.

I find it hard to imagine that anyone who practices a raw vegan diet would be acidic, unless they are consuming huge quantities of sugar or junk food on the side. So you probably don't need to panic just yet, I bet this is nothing to worry about.

Good luck!
Sapphire

Date: January 11, 2007 06:28PM

I respect Gabriel Cousens advise.

I've been mostly vegan for 20 years. Now I consider myself a raw vegetarian, though I'm like 95% vegan. I do drink raw milk, but I know that is not why I'm acidic if the iridologist is accurate.

I know orange juice is supposed to be alkaline, but if I drink too much citrus, my hair starts falling out. Also, as I mentioned before, when I first went gung-ho with the raw food diet, I ate way too many fats, and was a connoisseur of high fat raw deli foods & deserts. I think they are healthy foods, just in moderation.

I've changed to raw vegetarian, and my health blossomed back to where I was, prior to becoming %100 raw vegan. I've also added more greens & veggies & an avocado a day, and 1 tbsp of pumpkin seeds, for thier medicinal value. I have fruit & greens smoothies for breakfast, and fruit through out the day for deserts. The 10-20 % of my diet that is cooked, I'll have bean soups or a bowl of rice bran with fruit and some nuts. I'm also almost 100% organic.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 11, 2007 07:05PM

i was at a big festival one time and stopped by the irridologist for a quick reading. i didn't mention that i was pregnant and neither did she. how could that be missed? it's only a HUGE change in your physiology. i don't put a lot of stock in irridology since then i'm afraid. maybe in combination with another treatment modality but not on it's own.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: January 11, 2007 08:56PM

It's so true Coco! It sounds soo good, wouldn't it be great if you could diagnose all your ills just by looking into your eyes, but it doesn't seem to work really well.

In my case, he supposedly could tell I had my tonsils out as a child (not impressed, so have a lot of people my age), yet he didn't detect that I had a C-Section for one of my kids! Nor any other surgeries I have had. He said I had heart problems, but co-incidentally, I had gotten a complete heart work-up at the cardiologists office and so I knew that was wrong. He also failed to know I had a mastectomy, and I don't even dress to hide that fact (no way am I wearing some stupid bag of water on my chest). Then he started telling me about my difficult menstrual cycles, but I was put into menopause by my cancer treatments 3 years previous. He also failed to detect that I had ever been diagnosed with cancer.

Interestingly, he also told me that my bowels were in horrific condition - one of the worst cases he had ever seen. But luckily for me, he had available a herbal concoction that I could purchase, and take every day for only $45.00 a month, and in a year or two, this would probably start to improve.

Hmmmm..........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 09:02PM by Sapphire.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 15, 2007 05:09PM

OK...
I am not to defend those that may be wrong, or advise expensive solutions, but:

1) irydologist IS NOT a MINDReader.
He simply can see on a eye map what areas are at a irregular shape, color or position.
Each area represents a part of body.
so do not expect that he could "guess" that somebody eat a hamburger, or some cheese.. and when it happened, 2 or 3 days ago.

Some diseases do not cause permanent damage, and therefore cannot be read from eyes.

2) if it works, maybe it IS worth the 45$?
3) You can always find other irydologist that does not sell drugs, only recommends them.
4) Why do You go to IRYDOLOGIST..as a mean of..? / prevention, or checkup on your health? .. maybe choosing other form of checking on your health that is MORE Precise would be a good idea?

Irydology is just a ONE of the heath science group type of knowledge, that a doctor can/should/could posses to be able to choose and advise a patient on a correct lifestyle/ diet to avoid disease/ negative consequences/ of improper health choices

..and that should be main goal of doctors.. advising, not medicating. Just like in a Chinese notion of a doctor worked: they did not get paid immediately for advise, only after some time of being healthy would people come and pay them for "right" advice = for good health, that thanks to his advice one had achieved. smiling smiley

5) certainly if You have /had a cancer, eat to much food(cooked OR RAW) your bowels MAY BE in a Horrific condition winking smiley(seriously) that's where all diseases come from 1. improper food, and 2. bowels. Rotting of over food and constant increasing in pace, reinfection by bacterias from within..

Sapphire:/all
Body IS eliminating excess of acid through urine..but there is LIMIT of how much it can "at once".
It Really IS a very good measure of ones' health:acid level, that causes rotting> disease.

UNFORTUNATELLY even a RAW FOODIST can do some serious damage to them self if He/She will not use a Brain AT FIRST PLACE.
Problem, that it is not about brain, but using it, AND A Knowledge.

Try following to see HOW MUCH You are overeating on your raw food diet. Unless you are doing monodiet, that can be up to 3 times TO MUCH = causing prolonged periods of digesting food = ACID.
TO LITTLE WATER with the dried fruit/ inside a fresh fruit causes ACIDIC REACTION:
Why??/ Because sugar in order to be digested and assimilated, and utilized NEEDS WATER.
To little of it = ACID.
If you eat ANY FORM of extracted fat, even RAW Olive oil it requires about 4(may be 10) times MORE WATER than processing SIMPLE sugars.

Test:
1)Prepare ALL Ingredients for a salad that your dinner meal usually consists of and:
2)DO NOT cut or grind them all into one bowl, mix, and pour dressing(fat/oil) over it. Leave them in their natural state/form, eventually cut into a biteable thickness pieces.
3) start eating from the most watery, sweetest fruit
than continue to sweet lo water content,
than to acidic watery fruit,
than to low water content vegetable
wait 20,. 30 minutes, and eat your vegetable part the same way: sweet water, to acidic / no water veg.

IF you 'll manage through it, to your dressing /oil/fat portion of the meal you'll probably find that you haven't eat even HALF of food prepared for dinner../
that's OK, give yourself TIME and you may continue after a couple of hours to eat all of it..
notice, how much have you had, and if after eating last veg you will crave for FAT.
most likely NOT.

That means, that IF You'd put all ingredients into one bowl, chop, mix, with Oil..
you OVERACIDYFY Your stomach with amount of food that requires2, 3 times to digest it, an 5 times MORE water than when eaten over longer period of time and separately..
So YES my friends, Raw food is NOT The answer for curing diseases..
THOUGHTFUL, eating of RAW food is much closer to what we think simply switching to RAW will do for us. Often finding ourself with DIFFERENT problem/disease than before we started on raw.

TOO MUCH is still valid for all of us, regardless of diet.
the BIG Difference though is that on raw food, properly conducted, and (possibly, most likely) mono diet overeating/acidifying body IS NOT possible.
Imagine drinking a couple glasses of raw carrot juice.. than imagine eating ALL That carrot .. most likely it'd take you 3, 4 hours, instead 20 minutes, and water inside fibers in carrot, often is NOT accessible to most juicers(since centrifugal are the most popular ones), only high pressure (just like one found in our mouth, between teeth,) in hydraulic presses, masticating juicers(several other) is able to extract proper amount of water(all of it) and vitamins, minerals, enzymes) form the fruit/vegetable.
but never better or with more health effects, than our own mouth/enzymes, and stomach acids can do for you smiling smiley)

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables