Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can beans
Posted by: lostsoul65 ()
Date: September 23, 2019 10:39PM

I am new and want to ease into a Raw Food Diet but I want to do a little at a time. I'm drinking a pint of celery juice in the morning for starter and it is going to take me a few months to get into the diet. I'm tired of being sick every day and I'm 72 and I have a lot of can beans. Can you give me some info on the can beans, which are good and which are not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can beans
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 24, 2019 12:59AM

I would not eat canned beans.

There are dried beans and frozen beans that are much healthier.

Beans are one of the healthiest things you can eat. But canned beans may not be as healthy as you think.

Try this on for size: a standard, 3 1/2 ounce serving of boiled red kidney beans has only 2 milligrams of sodium. The same serving of canned red kidney beans has 231 milligrams of sodium — that’s almost 10% of your recommended daily sodium intake. There are other “fun” ingredients found in canned beans as well, such as calcium chloride, animal fats and sugars, which can alter beans’ nutritional value. High fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners are also commonly found in canned varieties, which drives calories up. A single serving of canned beans can have as many as 100 calories more than its dried counterpart. Probably not what you want when you open a can of a seemingly healthy food.
[blog.myfitnesspal.com]

[www.livestrong.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 01:56AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 24, 2019 12:26PM

I should of said in my post that I rinse all my can beans thoroughly so would that help. I also make 15 bean soup which is pretty plain. But in the forum I understand that your not suppose to heat anything over 118 degrees. This is all confusing.

Date: September 24, 2019 06:49PM

>But in the forum I understand that your not suppose to heat anything over 118 degrees. This is all confusing.

This is a raw food board but you are free to make your own plan. Some people are 100 percent raw but many are not but it is always a good health choice to add more raw fresh food into your diet. You can gradually move into more raw food over time. No pressure.

The one thing to remember is that it is a vegan board so we are not supposed to promote the consumption of animal products.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2019 06:54PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: September 25, 2019 08:21PM

Hi Lost Soul,

Well, if you want to continue eating canned beans, please buy some digestive enzymes and eat them before a meal, like 2 or 3. Another alternative is to sprinkle enzyme powder on your food before eating.
[www.azurestandard.com]
this particular powder is tasteless, so it doesn't interfere with the flavor of your meal.

since beans take longer to digest, eat your lighter foods first, such as fruit and salad. You will have more energy that way.

You ask which beans you should avoid. Generally canned beans will absorb some of the metal they are stored in, so it's better to use glass. The best is to have some peeled beans that are raw, such as red lentils and they cook in a half hour, so it's unnecessary to use canned beans. There are some sprouted beans that are sold as dried and they cook in 15 minutes. Try to cook some of these easy beans, such as small or peeled lentils instead of using canned all the time.

Again the easiest thing to do to feel better right away is start using digestive enzymes, either in capsule or tablet form or as powder on your food.

Date: September 26, 2019 01:30PM

Are all caned vegetables cooked passed the 118 degrees? How about caned fruits? I rinse caned fruits well so would there be anything wrong with that? However I have notice I am eating a lot more fresh fruits than I usually do. I think I want to use canned foods in emergency's. I'm just tired of not feeling well.

Date: September 26, 2019 01:57PM

> Are all caned vegetables cooked passed the 118 degrees?

If you want to live a happy and long life, assume this:

Everything that is cooked and you did not cook yourself was cooked passed 118 degrees.

There are some health food stores or online health food suppliers who may have sprouted beans or grains cooked at a temperature below 118 degrees

If you eat bread you could try the essene bread.

[sproutpeople.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2019 02:42PM by RawPracticalist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables