Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Preparing Beans
Posted by: lostsoul65 ()
Date: October 29, 2019 11:54AM

In preparing Beans. Would the best way be to cook them on the lowest heat which might take 8 or 12 hours or is there another way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preparing Beans
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: October 29, 2019 07:15PM

you would soak the beans overnight. Make sure you get fresh beans, and organic. After soaking over night, throw the water away and get fresh water. Low heat the beans for hours. If you were to use a double boiler and the beans had already started sprouting, it's possible to "cook" the beans to make them softer while still allowing them to remain alive and the sprout could keep growing.
However, note that some beans are more toxic than others. You can do this with lentils and mung beans, but some beans like kidney beans are best brought to a boil. If you soak over night and sprout for 1-3 days, you will only need to cook the beans less than an hour

This is a raw vegan forum, so we are not supposed to talk about cooking here. It's also possible to sprout the lentils until they have tails and then blend in a vitamix to make a raw soup. You can also sprout the mung beans until they have tails and eat them raw.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: October 30, 2019 01:56AM

Tai, as a relative ' newcomer ' to this board ( and without going back into the murky past ) you may want to read the boards policy where it says ' discussion forums to support others that eat a diet composed " primarily " of raw plant foods '. It doesn't say exclusively raw, so as an outstanding contributor to this board ( and a breath of fresh air ), you're not out of line with your cooked beans - unless the policy change overnight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 02:07AM by BJ.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: October 30, 2019 03:35AM

Thanks BJ. That makes sense.

To answer lostsoul more simply...
Yes, soak the beans overnight and throw the water away the next day. With fresh water, bring the beans to a boil and let simmer until they are soft.

Since you approved my sharing, I will share one more. I usually make fresh vegetable juice and cook the beans in juice not water. It's a way to get more minerals in for me. And then when they are done cooking, I get more fresh juice and I blend the beans with the juice. So, it's very concentrated with minerals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables