Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what seperates us from other ppl besides being vegan?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 12, 2007 10:26AM

being vegan isn't a diet to me. it's a lifestyle. and i can tell from meeting other vegans, too. i like them more than meateaters not just cuz they don't eat meat, but also cuz them seem more natural. more down to earth.

one thing i seem to notice is that all the vegans i know (which isn't many actually) sleep on the floor, not a matress with a bedframe.

i love making lists so i just wanna start a list of other lifestyle stuff that makes us different from most other ppl or what you think makes you different from meaters (besides being vegan.) or what changed about you since you went vegan that kinda happened because you went vegan. i'm not saying that ALL vegans do these things, and that all meateaters definately DON'T do these things. it's just like a "a lot of vegans" thing. and i hope no one takes this as being prejidice or something. that isn't what i'm going for and yah, i know i spelt that wrong. too lazy to look up the real spelling.

i also notice vegans are more into yoga and t'ai chi...natural noncompetative exercises that involve chakras or energy channels.

we recycle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what seperates us from other ppl besides being vegan?
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 12, 2007 11:21AM

well-from me being new to this way of living...it seems the raw foodist on this site seem to be more inlightened.thats what i see.and very helpful.i see new people come on this site and i have only been on for 2 weeks and into this for 2 weeks...i see people asking the very same questions i asked and everyone joins in-probably over and over-to share there info.i was so grateful to everyone for there patience.so i would say we are wanting to share and seem like you say more natural. it is like the old days...the hippies.in there natural slant.this is just my experiences so far.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 12, 2007 02:32PM

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that I am now much more careful about what I put into and onto my body. For health reasons. I've been sensitive and caring for what seems to me in the best interest of animals since I was a kid so there's no change here. Well, okay, there has been change, sure. As I learn more and more what has been made with animal products or how animals and how the environment are affected, I steer my choices in ways that coincide with my values. And when I don't make choices that coincide with certain core values, well, there are reasons; reasons that coincide with other core values!

Starting up a Buddhist practice has probably led to more changes, internal and behavioral, than anything I've ever done that I can remember. Very consistent with raw veganism too.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: January 12, 2007 04:17PM

TroySantos Wrote:
>
> Starting up a Buddhist practice has probably led
> to more changes, internal and behavioral, than
> anything I've ever done that I can remember. Very
> consistent with raw veganism too.

I am also a Buddhist. smiling smiley It has brought some wonderful changes to my life.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: January 12, 2007 04:25PM

I prefer to focus on the unity of all people.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: January 12, 2007 04:53PM

sunshine79 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer to focus on the unity of all people.

I agree with sunshine79 comment.
I feel uncomfortable about the idea of setting myself apart from others

Blessings
Lorretta

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: January 12, 2007 05:02PM

Sometimes nothing. Sometimes Happyness.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 12, 2007 05:24PM

I have family members and friends who are not vegan, and they're the most layed back, patient, kind-hearted, charitable, give their shirt off their back people.

I don't think veganism changes hearts. I think that some cool people become vegans.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: January 12, 2007 05:50PM

Rawrrr, I agree completely. I know plenty of people that are not vegans that are just as you described. Being vegan doesn't make you a "better" person.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 12, 2007 06:18PM

there was a study and vegetarians are 5% smarter than meat eaters but Vegan were 5% LESS smarter..lol, I was like what, milk and cheese don't make you smart, but really, alot of hippie burnouts are vegans, I noticed in mylifetime, so maybe that can be why..who the deuce knows???

I mean we are all vegans on this board right? Just we are raw vegans or raw fruitarian vegans like me..

vegan I think is more of an animal activist thingy too, I know I have my peta points, but I think they are really serious about it

I look at vegan cookbooks and all these fat women are the authors. NO? Am I wrong? I see cakes and cooked on top of cooked stuff, with processed ingredients..

When I lived in san francsico alot of the squatters are vegans too and I always see them dumpster diving for veggies. I don't know what they do for eggless pasta.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2007 06:25PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: singinraw ()
Date: January 12, 2007 06:32PM

coconutcream wrote <<<<but really, alot of hippie burnouts are vegans, I noticed in mylifetime, so maybe that can be why..who the deuce knows???>>>>

hahahahah thats too funny!!! LOL!!! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2007 06:37PM by singinraw.

Posted by: deemel ()
Date: January 12, 2007 08:34PM

HI All

Although I think you may FEEL different, I think everyone FEELS that they are different....we all feel that we are special, that we are kind, that we care for others and for animals etc etc.

This board is only a microcosm of what exists out there in society. I think that the changes are occurring within - and your experiences make you believe that you are in fact "different".

People on this board are the same as those not on the board. Just a short skim through selected messages shows the different personalities, and lack of restraint shown in society.

This is a wonderfully receptive board, with some very helpful, friendly people who wish to help you on your way.

This is also a board with people who attack others for their beliefs, argue points ad infinitum, say whatever they think (as is so common on anonymous forums, as opposed to how they conduct themselves in real life), try and push their products onto us in thinly disguised informative posts, and stand up to moderators - whingeing and complaining (just like the naughty kid at school who won't be told what to do by the teacher).......see....they are just the same people - different faces, different names.....and they happen to be raw vegans.

So, as much as I initially agree - coz I feel different too...I realised that I really am not any different - and my thinking is that goes for the rest of the board also.
What do you guys think?

Date: January 12, 2007 09:11PM

I'm not fully vegan at the moment but I find the way I think seperates me from just about everyone (including other raw food people). It's cool though. I like that other people aren't just like me, variety is the spice of life. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: January 12, 2007 09:49PM

Coconutcream.. funny... I always thought the exact same thing. Too much soy, for one, makes women gain weight. Most vegans staple is soy & wheat gluten. Well, I'm allergic to both, so that is a blessing in disguise. I have eaten a ton of beans in one day and rice bread, both soy & gluten free, and the next day, I have actually lost a pound. Long ago, when I first became a vegan, I gained like 15 lbs, which was so out of charactor for me, bc, I'm usually kinda thin, even if I eat like a hog, but the soy made me gain weight. Then I gave up the soy & gluten, after I found out I was allergic to both, and bam, I lost 15 lbs, even though I eat like a horse.

Not jumping on the soy band wagon.. I just am intune with my own body so well, and soy was the devil for me.

> I look at vegan cookbooks and all these fat women
> are the authors. NO? Am I wrong? I see cakes and
> cooked on top of cooked stuff, with processed
> ingredients..

Date: January 12, 2007 10:01PM

soy is the devil, interesting...lol

I like this board and noone has ever attacked me,or ever will I think, everyone here is so funny and so warm.. it is all good conversation and yes, everybody does have an opinion on everything..I agree, but isn't that what this is for, to word ourselves?

Date: January 12, 2007 10:39PM

coconutcream Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I like this board and noone has ever attacked
> me,or ever will I think, everyone here is so funny
> and so warm.. it is all good conversation and yes,
> everybody does have an opinion on everything..I
> agree, but isn't that what this is for, to word
> ourselves?

Yep smiling smiley

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 12, 2007 10:57PM

Began to practice Zen meditation in earnest a couple of years ago which gave me the courage to face up to the reality of eating animals and the suffering it causes. Saw 'A Peacable Kingdom' and afterwards cried harder longer and deeper than I ever had or ever will in my life again.

So vegetarian was easy, I didn't quite see why I shouldn't eat eggs and cheese till I found this forum. (Doh!)

Also, coincidental to not eating meat plants as a lifeform began to fascinate me much more. The garden is a major source of joyful work now.

I wouldn't call myself a vegan just that I try to keep my eyes and mind open to the truth as best I can and that led me here.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 12, 2007 11:01PM

We slept on the floor with a bedrole for four years. Now we just put plywood over a futon frame and sleep atop of that. I was tired of the dogs thinking it was their bed :-). I feel very different for that. We homeschool for non religeous reasons. We don't find much of that where we live. Deep South. Our religeon has a little bit of this and that. We pretty much fit in in Houston. It is a mix of everything there. When we moved to the country our differences felt tremendous, in a good way though! I think when people eat what they are fed without question they become mainstream.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 13, 2007 12:19AM

I think a vegan is more likely to have the sort of personality that questions the status quo. A raw vegan, maybe even more so.

I would like to think of this as being more aware and highly evolved. But that's just vanity.

I met a failed raw vegan the other day. It made me sad. He said he isn't even a vegetarian anymore.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 13, 2007 01:37AM

Dulset, do you go to a Zendo or any place to sit with others? Where'd you get your initial instruction?

It's neat that a couple of you mentioned unity among people. Not feeling right about setting yourself apart from others! Neat. You know though, the very nature of such forums is very much a separation, as I see it. I don't see your face, I don't know ....

So much more ... to connect with people face to face and have such conversations.

When I lived in Thailand, at a couple of temples, I regularly had conversations with people on things that really mattered to us. Face to face. You could see and touch the people, feel their feelings as it were.

Now I live in South Korea and work as an English teacher. Life is so different now. I am feeling pretty cut off from others. I really appreciate others on this forum sharing in the only way we can via this sort of medium.

At the end of this year I'll be back in the US and will look for some sort of either intentional community with a strong spiritual practice or a temple, to call home.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 13, 2007 01:44AM

The only thing that seperates me from others is my ego.

Amma says "think of others as your brothers and sisters" and I like that.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: January 13, 2007 07:55AM

I get so used to being me, that it is hard to see how others around me are, i feel like sometimes, I am way ahead of people..I am morepositive..If I date a meat eater , I feel I do not get as angry..or tired

Date: January 13, 2007 08:08AM

i went through a phase that i've seen a lot of others traverse on this path. i got rid of everything, i only wanted natural things around me, coconut bowls, wooden utensils, no metal on my body, makeup, soap etc. i started to see if i could make everything myself out of natural and recycled found stuff, i was getting into making my own soap and other products. i went crazy and moved out of the city. it was too extreme, now i still make so much of everything i use and a lot of it is out of recycled materials but i don't go bananas about it. but i'm not 100% raw now either and i never will be again. i got way, Way, WAY too sensitive, i couldn't live in the world.
i wonder what other people make for themselves. hmm, i'm going to post this query in the other topics forum if anyone wants to post their crafty, buildy inclinations...

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: January 13, 2007 10:34AM

If you think about it, everyone is a vegan sometimes. Who hasn't eaten a sallad for a meal sometime in their life? Maybe we just do it more often. So we're not separated except if vegan is more a state of mind. If that's the case we've separated us from "them" just with our own thinking. I don't know if I'm going to be vegan forever. I just know that today, at this time, I prefer eating no animal products and I may change my mind until dinner comes. And that's how I live. It brings me closer others.

Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: January 13, 2007 04:18PM

Here's what I've noticed:

Most Vegans are vegans because of the animals. They're very passionate about animal rights, etc.

Where as Raw Foodists eat mainly raw because of the great health benefits, etc.

Yes Raw foodists are automatically vegans, except if you:
Eat/use honey
Wear any any leather goods, wool, etc.
Buy/use any products that have been tested on animals.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of...

I'm eat completly raw but I'm going to admit I have leather purses, shoes, etc. Things I have bought in the past. I still use all of it, I've always wondered how other "vegan" raw foodies think about that...

Any thoughts???

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 14, 2007 02:50AM

whaaaaaaat separates me from other ppl besides being vegan?

hmmmm... my body, i guess

i mean, if i didn't have a body
my soul would be merged with everyone elses

it already is
if i just remove the veil
that happens when i fast, sometimes

then everyone just becomes a projection of one melting smile

true story

heee heee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables