Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dunning-Kruger effect
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 16, 2020 03:05PM

In 1999, psychology professor David Dunning was inspired by McArthur Wheeler’s story to undertake a study of the relationship between ignorance and confidence.

Along with Justin Kruger, their finding became known as the "Dunning-Kruger Effect".

In all the people they studied, they found the following:

The more ignorant people are, the more likely they are to overrate their knowledge and ability.

The more intelligent they are, the more likely they are to underrate themselves.

Basically: ignorant people think whatever they know is all there is to know. But intelligent people are only too aware how much more there is to know.

John Cleese expressed it like this: "If you’re very, very stupid, how can you possibly realise that you’re very, very stupid? You’d have to be relatively intelligent to realise how stupid you are."

The problem, of course, is that ignorance begets confidence.

You don’t know that you don’t know, therefore you assume you know.

And confidence can be very convincing, which is why ignorant people can be so persuasive.

They are convinced, and we are swayed, by their conviction.

As Bertrand Russell said: "The problem with the world is that the ignorant are arrogant and cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt."

It’s worth remembering that next time you’re in a meeting.

The loudest person with the strongest opinion isn’t necessarily right.

In fact, it might be the opposite, according to Dunning-Kruger.

There’s a fair chance that the loudest person knows the least.

Which is why they’re the loudest person with the most strongly held opinion.

As Charles Darwin said: "Ignorance is the most powerful form of confidence there is."

But ignorance itself isn’t the real problem.

The real problem lies in confusing lack of knowledge with clarity, and so allowing ignorance to drive action.

As Mark Twain said: "It ain’t what you don’t know that can hurt you. It’s what you know for sure that ain’t so."

This effect does not apply to people who ACTUALLY Have researched extensively
And those people can still be confident and outspoken while remaining
Open to new information to modify their position.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dunning-Kruger effect
Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: April 16, 2020 03:25PM

Basically: ignorant people think whatever they know is all there is to know. But intelligent people are only too aware how much more there is to know.

The loudest person with the strongest opinion isn’t necessarily right.

Which is why they’re the loudest person with the most strongly held opinion.

You just described JR to a tee, and yourself to minor effect, well done! Perhaps you should stop posting before you bury yourself...

Date: April 16, 2020 03:26PM

NuNativs said:
I KNOW NOTHING!!!!

EXCEPT

The Source of ALL LIFE is , Sun/Light, Air, Water & Earth. There WE are UNITED...

Date: April 16, 2020 03:38PM

"MY BELIEF HAS TO BE RIGHT OR ELSE I"LL BE EMOTIONALLY DESTROYED, I HAVE TO BE RIGHT!!! (FEAR)"

JR's Circle of Known...
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: April 16, 2020 03:38PM

<<<As Bertrand Russell said: "The problem with the world is that the ignorant are arrogant and cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt.">>>

Why Are Stupid People So Sure About Things? - [www.youtube.com]
“The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts.” -Bertrand Russell

<<<Basically: ignorant people think whatever they know is all there is to know. But intelligent people are only too aware how much more there is to know.>>>

Here's an older Video of mine followed by a newer version with a new analogy...

Einstein's Circle of Known - [www.youtube.com]

I Love You to the Moon & Back - [www.youtube.com]

[youtu.be]
12:38 MM
Ignorance, again, is an interesting concept. I was thinking of an Analogy I’ve used before. I even did a Video on this and referred to it several times and I was just kind of spontaneously thinking about it and kind of came up with another type of Analogy I’d like to share with y’all and it has to do with our Belief System. You see, our Belief System can be represented in my special Teaching Tool in 2 Boxes in the 1st Stage of Knowledge.

Remember, 3 Stages of Knowledge - the 1st Stage of Knowledge is the Knowledge we Acquire - it’s our Belief System - it’s the things we think - we have Knowledge in the Top Graph and False Knowledge on the Bottom. Now our Belief System can be represented by Circles Inside both Boxes. The problem with the Circle in the Box of False Knowledge is we superimpose that and put it up there in this Box [pointing to the Box of Knowledge] and now, when we look for the Truth, we say it can’t be True because I already have the Truth Inside of my Circle.

Now what’s interesting about this is, relatively speaking, the average person, we’re all the same when there’s 1 form of Ignorance. There’s actually 3 forms of Ignorance, but with 1 form of Ignorance we’re pretty much on equal terms and the Analogy I was thinking of today was instead of using Circles Inside Boxes imagine you got this Big, Huge Container of Water or Liquid or whatever and now you got a Little Cup.

So in my 1st Analogy where our Belief Systems could be represented by Circles Inside Boxes, so what we have on the Top Box, we have a Box of Knowledge and then, there’s a Circle Inside of that. So let’s just forget the Box of False Knowledge for now. Let’s just focus on the Box of Knowledge where we got a Big ole Box and a Circle Inside of that. Now our Knowledge is that Circle Inside the Box and everybody has all of these different sized Circles. Follow me on that?

Now imagine we’ve got Big ole Body of Water - it’s a Big ole Tanker, whatever, and you got a Cup. Now I might have a Big ole Mug - it’s a Thousand times Bigger than this little guy that has a Little bitty Cup that’s so small you can’t even measure it, but imagine that we take that Cup and we dip it into that Knowledge and we come out of it. Now what I got is all that Knowledge is In my Cup, just like it was In my Circle before, but now it’s In a Cup. And now, so what happened - if the Container was Full of Water, now it’s come down based how Big your Cup was. And then, whatever is left Inside that Container is 1 form of Ignorance that you don’t know you don’t know and that’s where the Knowledge we Need is at.

So what happens to the guy that has a Little bitty Cup that’s a Thousand times Smaller than yours?

He dips in and comes back and now you got these 2 Cups, but when you look at all of the other Knowledge that we both don’t have, we’re on fair grounds right here because there’s not much difference. There’s a whole lot we don’t know. But this is what makes the difference between these 2 types of people and it explains what’s known as the Socratic Irony where you finally get to a point where you realize, God, I don’t know anything! And the way it’s used with the Circle is that what’s Inside the Circle is what we know, what’s Outside our Circle is what we don’t know we don’t know, but then, there’s a Line that forms that Circle and that represents the Interface between what we know Inside the Circle and what we don’t know Outside of our Circle and these are our Unanswered Questions. This is a form of Ignorance that we know we don’t know.

So in other words, as our Circle gets Bigger, the more aware we are of all of the other Ignorance out there that we didn’t know was there. Think about it. I didn’t know anything about Glassblowing. I started studying it and now I’ve got thousands of questions I didn’t have before because I didn’t know anything about it.

So you got 2 types of people with Circles Inside there or 2 Cups - Big Cup - Little Cup. Well, you’re both similar relatively speaking as far as being Ignorant relative to all of that other Knowledge, but when it comes to your Awareness of how much you don’t know you don’t know, the guy with the Big Cup or the guy with the Big Circle is more Aware of their Ignorance. And there’s nothing wrong with being Ignorant, but when you force your Ignorance against the only thing that can turn our planet around, you’re guilty of “No man is clever enough to know all the Evil he does” by that Frenchman I can never pronounce. 16:58 MM

Yep, Life is tricky - Life is tricky - most of us are Hurting - people usually aren’t unkind unless they’re Hurting. Always remember that folks. 17:12 MM

<<<This effect does not apply to people who ACTUALLY Have researched extensively
And those people can still be confident and outspoken while remaining>>>

Here are my notes from Aristotle’s Rhetoric...

Book III- Chapter 7

Your language will be appropriate if it expresses emotion and character, and if it corresponds to its subject. "Correspondence to subject" means that we must neither speak casually about weighty matters, nor solemnly about trivial ones; nor must we add ornamental epithets to commonplace nouns, or the effect will be comic, as in the works of Cleophon, who can use phrases as absurd as "O queenly fig-tree." To express emotion, you will employ the language of anger in speaking of outrage; the language of disgust and discreet reluctance to utter a word when speaking of impiety or foulness; the language of exultation for a tale of glory, and that of humiliation for a tale of and so in all other cases.

This aptness of language is one thing that makes people believe in the truth of your story: their minds draw the false conclusion that you are to be trusted from the fact that others behave as you do when things are as you describe them; and therefore they take your story to be true, whether it is so or not. Besides, an emotional speaker always makes his audience feel with him, even when there is nothing in his arguments; which is why many speakers try to overwhelm their audience by mere noise.

Furthermore, this way of proving your story by displaying these signs of its genuineness expresses your personal character. Each class of men, each type of disposition, will have its own appropriate way of letting the truth appear. Under "class" I include differences of age, as boy, man, or old man; of sex, as man or woman; of nationality, as Spartan or Thessalian. By "dispositions" I here mean those dispositions only which determine the character of a man's for it is not every disposition that does this. If, then, a speaker uses the very words which are in keeping with a particular disposition, he will reproduce the corresponding character; for a rustic and an educated man will not say the same things nor speak in the same way. Again, some impression is made upon an audience by a device which speech-writers employ to nauseous excess, when they say "Who does not know this?" or "It is known to everybody." [Everybody knows you are what you eat.] The hearer is ashamed of his ignorance, and agrees with the speaker, so as to have a share of the knowledge that everybody else possesses.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: April 16, 2020 03:52PM

NuNativs
NuNativs said:
I KNOW NOTHING!!!!

EXCEPT

The Source of ALL LIFE is , Sun/Light, Air, Water & Earth. There WE are UNITED...

yes we are all aware that you think that

why don't you ask Bryan if you could put a pin post at the top of the board of all your thoughts and feelings??

Save-A-Lot time wouldn't it?

You're a Walkin talkin definition of insanity keep saying the same thing expecting different result

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2020 03:57PM by fresh.

Date: April 16, 2020 04:02PM

fresh

You're a Walkin talkin definition of insanity keep saying the same thing expecting different result

I don't expect different results, I'm just havin some fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables