Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why meatless burgers may not be the healthiest choice
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: May 24, 2020 02:25AM

The most important thing to remember is not all veggie burgers contain vegetables

Some people might mistakenly assume the word "veggie burger" is a shorthand for "vegetable burger." This may lead them to believe the meal is made with vegetables, and therefore, packed with nutrients.

But according to Bonnie Taub-Dix, a registered dietitian, this is not always the case.

Taub-Dix told INSIDER, "Not all veggie burgers are alike. Some are made with plant protein (like pea protein, tofu, beans) while others are made with fillers and grains and may not contain much protein at all."

These fillers can be as innocent as quinoa, an actual food, to strange things you’ve never heard of, like methylcellulose, maltodextrin, or vague descriptions like caramel color and hydrolyzed yeast extract. None of these are things you’d find growing in your garden.

And while not all filler ingredients are bad, if there’s a lot of them in your burger, it probably isn’t filled with as many nutrients as you think.

Although veggie burgers are presented as a meat alternative, they don't always offer comparable amounts of protein

[www.insider.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why meatless burgers may not be the healthiest choice
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: May 24, 2020 07:43PM

That's right. The Dr. Praeger burgers the article recommends do have Natural Flavors, Methyl Cellulose, and Oat Fiber in them which isn't the greatest. It's better to go online for vegan burger recipes made with lentils or whatever. Also the buns and bread are not great. Soups are my favorite cooked vegan meal. Slow cook potatoes, leeks, zucchini, green beans with dried parsley and Italian herbs and it's yummy. If you want a more filling soup, just add 1/4 cup red lentils at the start.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 27, 2020 12:52AM

. Slow cook potatoes, leeks, zucchini, green beans with dried parsley and Italian herbs and it's yummy. If you want a more filling soup, just add 1/4 cup red lentils at the start.

My God, that sounds tasty. Especially if all those vegetables are from your own garden or fresh from someone else's garden nearby.

For the occasional treat, there are few things tastier (in cooked food) than the much-condemned Beyond Meat burger. Food scientists are bloody geniuses! Maybe it has been more than 40 years that I have tasted any kind of meat whatsoever but the Beyond burger does not remind me of meat at all. It has its own luciousness. Most meat eaters who have tried the Beyond Meat burger do not think it tastes like meat.

Does being health oriented mean never having something commercially made and heavily procesed? I hope not.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: May 29, 2020 09:13AM

Horsea
Does being health oriented mean never having something commercially made and heavily procesed? I hope not.

Being health oriented for me means that I can have
grandma baked cookies when I visit her

Or have a slice of commercial made pizza when partying with friends.

Not everything has to be raw and organic.

99% is raw and organic already.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables