Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food
Posted by: KENJI ()
Date: January 16, 2007 03:12AM

Hi,

I am having difficulty feeling full from eating all raw, so I end up eating things like avocados or nuts in excess.

What's the solution to this?

thanks,
Kenji

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food
Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:02AM

i am not sure.banana's seem to fill me up.i have only been into the raw food thing a few weeks and everyday-i come up against new questions and the guys here help.wonderful site filled with tons of info.well-i eat alot of apples. i find the smoothies are filling.tonite i had a raw chili and it had chopped up tomatoes and zucchini and celery ,corn,onion and sprouts and spices and on bowl-very filling.i saw where one person in a day ate 9 banana's and a whole head of lettuce.so i guess u fill up on stuff like this.sorry-wish i knew more so i could help.taylor

Date: January 16, 2007 05:05AM

Normally I would have all of those things like chilli, tomato , celery etc as a side dish, then eat the main dish like rice afterwards. So something has to replace the rice.

Fruits and vegetables don't fill me up for long at all and they digest quickly.

The high calorie foods like nuts and avocados can't be eaten in excess because they are fatty. Even when I eat a few avocados which is still quite alot for me, it doesn't fill me up like rice and it would soon make me sick.
I do eat sprouts from time to time but none of the foods I've mentioned so far are able to fill me up and eating them in excess would mean an unrealistic amount for me or it would be unhealthy due to it being too fatty.
What's the solution?

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 16, 2007 05:06AM

basically what happens is that this feeling goes away after a while and gradually and your body just adjusts to what's happening. Eventually you will just start to notice that you don't feel like that and feel more full on less. I would just say go with it and pay attention to what your body is telling you. You will get a ton of different perspectives here but ultimately be your own guide and you will find the right path.

Date: January 16, 2007 05:09AM

try nut pate's and what not and some breads if you need. Try buying some raw crackers if you can't make them.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: January 16, 2007 11:57AM

morrisson66! is there raw crackers?what is the name of them?i have a recipe for a carrot pate i am wanting to try.thanks so much taylor

Posted by: samina ()
Date: January 16, 2007 01:42PM

kenji, why do you think that the nuts & avocadoes are "too fatty" or unhealthy in excess? just curious -- is this a residual belief after a lifetime (like the rest of us) of cooked fats, or is there a particular belief system about raw foods that you have (such as natural hygiene)?

personally, when i eat live foods i don't have any other consideration other than they are raw, clean, and varied. appetite varies... sometimes i'm very hungry and so i eat more of the heavier foods, and sometimes not.

jumbo medjool dates w/ pecans are a fave daily staple of mine, and very filling, and i commonly have an avocado on a daily basis. i use lots of coconut oil, snack on other nuts... these are nutritious aspects of a raw diet.

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: January 16, 2007 01:58PM

The solution, Kenji, is fruit.

Eat all the fruit you want, as much as you want, any time you want. Over time, things will settle down as your body adjusts to the lighter food and you won't need as much as you do at the beginning.

No need to limit yourself. This is a world of abundance!

smiling smiley

Love,
Julie

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:17PM

we associate that stuffed to the gills feeling with being satisfied or full after a meal. it takes a while to adjust to feeling light instead fo heavy after eating but it does happen. it's quite a shift in awarness. you can up your liquid intake if you like and try some diversionary tactics. in this gastronomic society it's hard to get away from the allure of food, we use it for so many things that are not nutritionally associated, ie comfort foods etc. you can adjust, it just takes some time. meditation can help.

Date: January 16, 2007 04:41PM

Perhaps I should have asked how to meet my calorie requirements of around 2kcalories a day.
Then comparisons can be made as to whether I'm getting enough or not.

Avocados can't be depended on because they're not always available where I am.
these foods are high in fats and this is undesireable for me.

As I said, a few avocados is quite alot but i would have to eat much more than that, to satisfy my appetite.

Obviously too much sugar or fat is not healthy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:49PM

have you checked out fitday.com? it's a free nutrition tracking website where you input your daily diet and it gives you a calorie and nutrient breakdown. it should be not too hard to figure out what to add to your diet from there.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:56PM

what about soaked/sprouted buckwheat etc. i find it filling.

Date: January 16, 2007 05:31PM

what I would suggest is kind of meditating on this new type of full. Whenever I am out or at someone's place for dinner and I eat vegan I have a completely new definition to what full is, because they always make vegan cooked food to stay in their comfort zone. Basically raw full is different from cooked full. Fruit is not filling when you first start. Avocados and nuts are fine especially when sprouted or soaked, the nuts that is. Everything that I've read has basically said that your body tells you how to eat and that changes over time. When I first went raw I ate a lot of dehydrated breads and foods. That helped me greatly. I know a lot of people will quickly point out how that's not ideal, which is true. However on my journey it was a necessary step to something else, which is where I am now.

Now I can eat watermelon all day in the summer and basically nothing else at times. Lately I've been wanting a lot of avocados, bananas and blueberries. I would suggest eating until your body tells you to stop. I also think your body on some level works hard to replace what it's lacking so when you first start your raw journey you may need to eat a ton of food. I did and still lost weight. If you are at an ideal weight for you then you will be fine. My wife was at her normal weight and basically lost only about 6 lbs whereas I lost 40.

Just eat what sounds good. Don't worry about fat because things like avocados and soaked nuts just stop tasting good when your body doesn't need anymore. It's not like eating cake or something like that where you can keep eating it beyond any measure of what is acceptable. I even find that raw desserts do the same thing and just stop tasting good no matter how yummy the first few bites are. However, no raw food is really that heavy compared to cooked food so it's a different sensation of fullness. Accept the new sensation, eat as much as your body tells you to and be happy that you discovered this new way of eating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables