Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: thriving ... and not
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 20, 2007 11:59AM

yes, I think we underestimate the power of words, if you say you need something, then you do, if you are fine living on fruits veggies and nuts, thats all you need..it's the power of words. also, smile everybody, my opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 20, 2007 03:56PM

I put my food today into both fitday and nutritiondata a little while ago. Wow. These sites are a bit daunting. So much info to digest. Slowly. The two sites seem to differ significantly. I'll try them both for a while to see which I like better. fitday will accomodate kimchi while nutritiondata will not. But so far, after only one try, I like the nutritiondata because it has so much more information. fitday may have much more than I've seen so far. Maybe I just don't yet know where to find it. I'll keep at it. It's surprising sometimes to see how little I can eat yet still have so much energy.

Bryan, you've mentioned in at least one of your posts about sleep. And in a post by Mike, where he interviewed David Klein, David mentioned sleep too. I know that for years and years I've struggled with sleep. This is a tough one for me. I have so much energy. And, when I put myself down for the night, the thoughts just don't stop. Not that there's usually anything that I worry about. It's just little things that keep streaming in. So when I realize that I'm thinking, I look at the thoughts. A meditation of sorts. Oftentimes I need to read something in order to get myself sleepy enough to get any sleep. I feel this isn't the best way to get to sleep, but boy oh boy .... I'm going to try melatonin and see if this helps. I have seen little or nothing on the internet that says melatonin is dangerous or anything.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2007 05:35PM

it's a hormone and messing with your hormones is never a good thing. it's best to try and find a way to support your own hormones function in balancing out. that's more natural and a more lasting treatment as well. since you are considering taking something for treatment would you be open to consulting with a homeopath or naturopath? they can be very good at pinpointing deficiency that is having a negative affect and both modalities of treatment focus on getting your body back to where it's supposed to be rather than introducing outside forces to Make you Feel well without actually making you well.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 20, 2007 08:54PM

TroySantos,

A lot of raw foodists say that they only need 4 to 6 hours of sleep a night. When I first went raw, I experienced this too. I was able to get by with 6 hours sleep a night. However, I had continuous dark circles under my eyes. People in other healing modalities were telling me I had some kidney troubles because of those dark rings. Well, after I figured out that my diet was overstimulating me, and I got all the sleep I wrote about earlier, those dark circles went away. And the only time I get them nowadays is if I undersleep, which I occasionally do. My stimulation nowadays is late nights on the internet.

So I agree that mind can be the stimulator. In my case, taking out the spices and condiments out of diet helped a lot. Certainly getting more physical activity will help. On the days that I do physical labor (digging ditches, chopping wood), I fall asleep very early.

When you take a hormone, your body starts to cut production of the hormone, because it notices the higher levels. So when you stop taking the hormone, your body is no longer producing it. It can start making it again, but it takes awhile. Some people can become dependent on them.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 20, 2007 08:59PM

Troy,

Is your signature showing you a picture? Because for me, what I see is a name of a local image file. If you want people to see your picture or image, you need to copy it to a website first (say like photobucket, which is free), and then use a URL to the picture on the website in your signature (photobucket even tells you what the URL is for each picture you upload).

Posted by: Rainbow ()
Date: January 21, 2007 02:42PM

Hi, TroySantos,
Bryan is speaking with his experience and his post is full of wisdom. I wish you recognze. I am trying to get more sleep. Before i always felt guilty if I slelp a long hours, now, I realize it is a grace.
A famous chinese doctor said: if you live again sun (do not sleep in the night), God cannot cure you.

I wish you find a path to thrive in raw!
happness and blessing to you!

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: January 21, 2007 03:10PM

Rainbow> A famous chinese doctor said: if you live again sun (do not sleep in the night), God cannot cure you.

huh??..that went right over my head.

Date: January 21, 2007 11:25PM

Thanks everyone. I haven't taken the melatonin. I am doing things to see to it that I get sleepy without the stuff. This morning I woke up a bit early, not sufficiently rested. I felt like sleeping in but the thoughts wouldn't stop. Each time I looked at the thoughts, and each time I asked if it was worth my while to indulge in such useless internal chatter. Of course each thought was just that - useless. So I made lying there into a meditation, hoping, actually, to get back to sleep. I know, I know, let go of hoping to get back to sleep!

Bryan, I'm curious about the long long rest that you got, I think you said it was several months. Some days sleeping 14 and 15 hours. Did you do this on your own, or under someone's supervision? I've been thinking about this lately. Come September 1st, I'll have lots of freedom. I won't have to work. I'll be able to just rest rest rest. I'm thinking to go to a friend's house where I can get all the rest I need. But I'm curious to know more about how you did what you did. Maybe it is something that Doug Graham recommends? For years and years I've struggled with sleep.

It's a bit difficult for me to believe this thing I've heard of called sleep deficit. It seems that we all have a required number of hours in our life. And if we don't get those hours, then we accumulate a deficit. That deficit can be made up by getting lots and lots of sleep in a short period of time, like what you did Bryan - sleeping ALOT in a few short months. I don't like to reject anything, but some things are hard to easily accept. Like this.

Thanks again everyone.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:21AM

"For me, control doesn't work."(Bryan)

For me either. I just can't do the raw diet for the sake of it being healthy. I can only eat what I prefer.

The moment I tell myself I can't have something, I want it. sad smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 22, 2007 01:40AM

dudes, I love sleeping, I sleep whenever..my compuetr is even on my bed.. I love just laying here and dozing off and reading..it feels healing..plus I broke up with someone so I need a bed to deal with my thoughts..

Date: January 22, 2007 12:40PM

coconutcream, I really enjoy hearing and reading someone say they like doing something that is different from me. Helps me see things differently. I always like that. Same with you Rawgosia. If I let myself eat only things I like, and when I want, .... No. I'm scared of what I'd do. There is a voice in me that says, "Scared of what?" Let yourself go, then when you've had enough, really had enough, you'll change." But for the sake of my oral health, intestinal health, and, well, I'm laughing as I type .... I have let myself go in the past, but never for days and days, let alone weeks or months, until I tire myself out. There is a part of me that's really intensely interested. Truthfully. ... should I?! ... Isnt' it crazy?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables