Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pistachios are loaded with Melatonin
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 26, 2022 10:36PM

[americanpistachios.org]

Fresno, CA – August 9, 2019 – An analysis conducted by researchers Dr. Jack Losso and Millicent Yeboah-Awudzi at Louisiana State University in partnership with American Pistachio Growers found that American pistachios contain significant amounts of melatonin, much higher than most fruits, vegetables, cereals, legumes and seeds.

Pistachios are a highly nutritious snack containing not only melatonin, but a wide variety of vitamins and antioxidants that benefit an individual’s overall health and wellness

In this study, melatonin was extracted from raw and roasted pistachios grown in the United States. The results were surprising, finding that pistachios contained about 660 nanograms melatonin per gram of pistachio, which was more than various other foods1.

According to Losso, pistachios contain certain phenolics which can reduce the breakdown of tryptophan to toxic compounds so that it is converted to melatonin. The increase in tryptophan has the potential to help with delayed sleep onset, sleep duration and quality. Additionally, Yeboah-Awudzi, recommends pistachios as a natural food option worth considering if anyone is looking to increase their melatonin intake.

Of note, the roasting of the pistachios had no effect on the melatonin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pistachios are loaded with Melatonin
Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: January 28, 2022 03:23AM

Yes, I just read about pistachios containing melatonin. I must get some and see if it helps me. I swear since years ago when I did sun-gazing for a while, it messed up my sleep ever since. A lot of people take melatonin supplements to sleep. My daughter gives it to her five-year old, but I recently heard that it can stunt puberty in a child, so I'm concerned about that. Melatonin is another supplement that's on a lot of protocol lists for covid and vaccine side effects.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 28, 2022 03:25PM

660 nanograms = 0.66 micrograms = 0.00066 miligrams

so 1 gram of pistachios has 0.00066 miligrams of melatonin

1 lb is 454 grams

454x0.00066 = 0.3

there are only 0.3 miligrams of melatonin in 1 lb of pistachios

Posted by: Jennifer ()
Date: January 29, 2022 03:30AM

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Good job on the math.

As per Edgar Cayce, nuts are very nutritious - especially Almonds and Brazil Nuts.

Edgar Cayce On The Cancer-Preventative Health Value of Almonds

[www.healingcancernaturally.com]

Almonds as Cancer/Tumor Preventatives

Several Cayce readings specifically recommend almonds in the context of cancer prevention, usually with other elements of diet.

The most often quoted readings say:

"Those who would eat two to three almonds each day need never fear cancer." (1158-31)

"If an almond is taken each day, and kept up, you'll never have accumulations of tumors or such conditions through the body." (3180-3)

Almonds were recommended in cases of breast cancer in the following readings, as part of a diet emphasizing leafy vegetables and low (or no) meat and fat:

"Eat an almond each day — one almond — the body will have no more trouble or recurrence of this nature through the system." (3515-1)

"Almonds, Brazilian nuts, cashew nuts, and the like, are well. Almonds, especially." (4438-1)

Almonds as Skin Blemish Preventer (and Cancer Preventer)

"And know, if ye would take each day, through thy experience, two almonds, ye will never have skin blemishes, ye will never be tempted even in body toward cancer nor towards those things that make blemishes in the body-forces themselves." (1206-13)

Almond as a Spiritual Symbol

"Other characters of nuts (other than coconut) are well, though especially almonds are good and if an almond is taken each day, and kept up, you'll never have accumulations of tumors or such conditions through the body. An almond a day is much more in accord with keeping the doctor away, especially certain types of doctors, than apples. For the apple was the fall, not almond — for the almond blossomed when everything else died. Remember this is life!" (3180-3)

He recommends Brazil Nuts elsewhere, but I don't have the links right now. Only one a day provides the daily Selenium requirement. In fact, there is such a thing as Selenium toxicity. I've read about it and I read anecdotes of people who were Selenium toxic from eating a lot of Brazil Nuts. So only one or two a day is recommended by Edgar Cayce.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables